Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

kindness
    book recommendations
    local bookshop
    pretty nice

I'm out.

He always seems to know so little about the public libraries. One thing for Duffy, he was always a public library customer and admired de more menacing librarians.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

History will be kind to the pet shop boys.

I wouldn't say that to a pogues fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

You read out the mail because she mentions the tiy show ;);)

walshb wrote: »
    Cringe!

And give it a fooking rest with the books. We get it, you think reading books and constantly telling people that you do makes you some cultured intellect!

In contrast, Gaybo, who was also an advocate for reading, spared us from saying it (or anything else) too often, ie daily. Ryan doesn't seem to be able to change from playing the same tunes daily, it would like if Ronan Collins did that literally with his music hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

He always seems to know so little about the public libraries. One thing for Duffy, he was always a public library customer and admired de more menacing librarians.

I think in reality it's that he's too tight to pay for a buke.

• Advertisement

Does rte not already have a book show programme?

sligojoek wrote: »
    Hamilton again

Deffo a shoe in for the toy show

Well it is the musical of choice for #WokeFolk

Into the wesht...hi ho Tayto

In contrast, Gaybo, who was also an advocate for reading, spared us from saying it (or anything else) too often, ie daily. Ryan doesn't seem to be able to change from playing the same tunes daily, it would like if Ronan Collins did that literally with his music hour.

Like McAnally ?

This one is connected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

That interview was odd.

He was really trying to make an issue of being an only child even though the lad obviously had no issue with it whatsoever.

A couple of nice weeks off for aul Tubridy coming up -

A well deserved opportunity to make his way through those three big piles of gorgeous books he has sitting beside his bed.

Grand life.

This one is connected

Definitely. Sure they have to keep it in the fam :)

The woman interviewed yesterday about her Dad's dementia was 'part of Joe's team from upstairs' .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

F*ck me. What is it with books? We get it. You read them.... A lot! We don't have to hear about it every f*cking day! Jesus. How much is this guy on again?
    Just rename the show the book hour or something and be done with it.
    It really is a constant drag tuning in and hearing his incessant yap about books, or Hamilton, or about how gorgeous and intriguing and kind everything is.
    Had to laugh yesterday as well with the Jack Charlton bit...."we all knew the players. Collected them as coins from petrol stations". No Ryan, we knew the players cos we watched the f*cking games and took an interest in the sport!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,786 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    F*ck me. What is it with books? We get it. You read them.... A lot! We don't have to hear about it every f*cking day! Jesus. How much is this guy on again?
    Just rename the show the book hour or something and be done with it.
    It really is a constant drag tuning in and hearing his incessant yap about books, or Hamilton, or about how gorgeous and intriguing and kind everything is.
    Had to laugh yesterday as well with the Jack Charlton bit...."we all knew the players. Collected them as coins from petrol stations". No Ryan, we knew the players cos we watched the f*cking games and took an interest in the sport!

This is just it....he likely doesn't read them near as much as he implies, but he is obsessed with wanting people to think he's some intellect and cultured reader...It's so pretentious and insincere.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,053 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just shows how much electronic media and screens have taken over when someone who reads books is taken for an intellectual.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,786 ✭✭✭✭walshb

elperello wrote: »
    Just shows how much electronic media and screens have taken over when someone who reads books is taken for an intellectual.

He is not taken for an intellectual..

He wants to be, desperately, and thinks that constantly ramming it down people's throats about how he reads books will see him as some cultured intellect....

Does anyone after 2nd year in school thinks it makes you a wannabe intellectual if you read books? Have a look around the Luas or any cafe (remember them?), books are an important part of people's ordinary lives. Pat Kenny is always doing book promos and even has a book club, and (quite rightly) nobody complains. I like Ryan's book recommendations.

The only reason I don't always listen to his show is the slightly excessive fondness for dwelling on how things used to be in the past, displays of etiquette and suchlike. But that clicks with a lot of people, too, which is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,053 ✭✭✭✭elperello

walshb wrote: »
    He is not taken for an intellectual..

He wants to be, desperately, and thinks that constantly ramming it down people's throats about how he reads books will see him as some cultured intellect....

So you don't think reading and talking about books makes one look like an intellectual but somehow you suspect RT does ?

elperello wrote: »
    So you don't think reading and talking about books makes one look like an intellectual but somehow you suspect RT does ?

He does seem to think that reading a lot (among other things) makes him an old-school nerd who is just charmingly incompatible with the modern world.

Sure he calls himself a nerd for reading books - "revenge of the nerds" is one of his favourite phrases.

It wouldn't be so bad if he actually gave some interesting critiques of books (or films and music) but there's not much depth to any of it and it comes across as preachy and patronizing a lot of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Calling bull**** on that letter/email today...

"Is Ryan real"

Oh he's real, really taking everyone to the ****ing cleaners.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It wouldn't be so bad if he actually gave some interesting critiques of books (or films and music) but there's not much depth to any of it and it comes across as preachy and patronizing a lot of the time.

Perhaps it's because he doesn't actually read as many as he says he does?
    Just thinking out loud here.

It would be relatively easy for someone to pretend they read more books than they do in this digital age. Reviews are so plentiful, and a few minutes online will get you hundreds of opinions and discussions about a book.

Do a quick read for an hour or two, then you can tell people "oh I read this great book the other day, you must check it out".

It's simple really. We could all do it. Pick the best seller on Amazon, go to a friend and say exactly as I said above. When someone asks you about it, they never need more info than what's on the blurb. You're quids in. But they'll take your word for it.

If only we could all get paid handsomely for it. Now that is being clever.

He could be just skimming through a lot of books.

If he's telling the truth about the amount of them he buys, he must be spending a fortune on them.

Local bookshop owner must rub his hands together when he sees Tubridy coming

"here you go Ryan, a copy of Cecilia Ahern's latest offering. Gobble that up now and come back for more, you cultured intellectual!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Peculiar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

He needs a holiday because the wrapper on the Jacobs fig rolls is starting to annoy him, he says. And here’s me worrying about having a roof over my head come October.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Peculiar

You are a master of understatement.

Gods Gift wrote: »
    He needs a holiday because the wrapper on the Jacobs fig rolls is starting to annoy him, he says. And here’s me worrying about having a roof over my head come October.

#priorities

He's been off a few times this year already - a remarkable achievement in itself considering we've been in lockdown for most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

"a beautiful interview that got a gorgeous response"

A terrible use of gorgeous. Everything is gorgeous.

He asked that boxer Kellie Harrington whether her parents were gorgeous. I assumed straight away he was asking whether they are physically pleasing as she must be. But I think he meant were they beautiful people as she must be....no that still isn't correct as that too relates to their physical look. I think he was actually asking were her parents very good people as she indeed came across as a very good person.

Not the best wordsmith.

boarddotie wrote: »
    A terrible use of gorgeous. Everything is gorgeous.

He asked that boxer Kellie Harrington whether her parents were gorgeous. I assumed straight away he was asking whether they are physically pleasing as she must be. But I think he meant were they beautiful people as she must be....no that still isn't correct as that too relates to their physical look. I think he was actually asking were her parents very good people as she indeed came across as a very good person.

Not the best wordsmith.

Well, he is the man who recently described a fire as "delicious".....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I turned over for the news earlier and heard him say "I don't trust biscuit tins. They're like a facemask for confectionery."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement