Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

sligojoek wrote: »
    I turned over for the news earlier and heard him say "I don't trust biscuit tins. They're like a facemask for confectionery."

That's more Partridge than Partridge himself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I turned over for the news earlier and heard him say "I don't trust biscuit tins. They're like a facemask for confectionery."

Somebody whose good on the auld computers has to make a meme out of that quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

#priorities

He's been off a few times this year already - a remarkable achievement in itself considering we've been in lockdown for most of it.

For some reason I thought it was 2 weeks he was off for, but today he said "a few weeks" ... How long is that exactly?

Probably however long it takes to get through all those piles of delicious and gorgeous books he has sitting by his cosy fireplace.

Best I could do, most meme generator sites are blocked in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,786 ✭✭✭✭walshb

elperello wrote: »
    So you don't think reading and talking about books makes one look like an intellectual but somehow you suspect RT does ?

What?

RT thinks that reading books makes one (or him) a cultured intellect..

It’s the only reason I can think that he constantly rams it down people’s throats; to desperately want to be viewed as some intellect..

Reading books is as old as the hills.

Most people just get on with it. All different types people. Smart, not so smart, dumb and so on!

My own personal view: I think one who reads a lot of books is just a person who reads a lot of books. I don’t dig much deeper. Sure, some are intellects. Not all, though. People read books..

• Advertisement

He does seem to think that reading a lot (among other things) makes him an old-school nerd who is just charmingly incompatible with the modern world.

Sure he calls himself a nerd for reading books - "revenge of the nerds" is one of his favourite phrases.

It wouldn't be so bad if he actually gave some interesting critiques of books (or films and music) but there's not much depth to any of it and it comes across as preachy and patronizing a lot of the time.

This is him in a nutshell..

Talks a great book...that’s about it. Waffles and spoofs about his book reading prowess...very childish!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,053 ✭✭✭✭elperello

walshb wrote: »
    What?

RT thinks that reading books makes one (or him) a cultured intellect..

It’s the only reason I can think that he constantly rams it down people’s throats; to desperately want to be viewed as some intellect..

Reading books is as old as the hills.

Most people just get on with it. All different types people. Smart, not so smart, dumb and so on!

My own personal view: I think one who reads a lot of books is just a person who reads a lot of books. I don’t dig much deeper. Sure, some are intellects. Not all, though. People read books..

So it is good to read books but not talk about it.

Which is a bit awkward for a radio presenter as his job is to talk about things.

Maybe he really likes reading.

So it is good to read books but not talk about it.

Which is a bit awkward for a radio presenter as his job is to talk about things.

Maybe he really likes reading.

It’s all he seems to talk about.

We get it. You read books.

Not sure why the need to constantly tell people. Couple times will suffice..

Rarely, if ever actually discusses in any interesting detail the books..just repeats as nauseum “I read books.”

walshb wrote: »
    It’s all he seems to talk about.

We get it. You read books.

Not sure why the need to constantly tell people. Couple times will suffice..

Rarely, if ever actually discusses in any interesting detail the books..just repeats as nauseum “I read books.”

Books are an all round good thing.

A great leveler in society, available to all, rich and poor, in local libraries.

It's good to promote reading books.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Books are an all round good thing.

A great leveler in society, available to all, rich and poor, in local libraries.

It's good to promote reading books.

No one is disputing that fact.
    The problem a lot of people have is...
    it is EVERY SINGLE DAY ...a book is plugged or spoken about.
    If you saturate the content too much people will get sick of hearing about it.
    It's a constant drip from a tap.

• Advertisement

Nerdlingr wrote: »

I didn't realise it was a daily thing because I don't hear all of each show.

Maybe every day is a bit too much but regular promotion of books and reading is a good thing in my opinion.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    But this is nothing new, he's been like this since the days of The Full Irish on 2FM. It's like accusing Gay Byrne of being good with housewives (steady on), or accusing Pat Kenny of liking roses and trigonometry. We all have a passion.

I actually think he should do a phone-it-in Book Club, all controversial like Liveline. I might write him a letter in the olde-time way to suggest it, he loves that shit.

Gorgeous bookshop!!!!

Here we go, again!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Spent the evening working in a gorgeous book shop yesterday.

Loads of lovely first editions

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I didn't realise it was a daily thing because I don't hear all of each show.

Maybe every day is a bit too much but regular promotion of books and reading is a good thing in my opinion.

I think he is trying to pitch himself as 'the book guy' almost as much as the Toy Man!

He was one of the invited guests on to Home School Hub too during lockdown, to tell kids how great books were and how much he loves reading.

So I think he is angling for the label. Maybe rte should give him another hour on the radio to do a book show?

The toy show

Santa is going to have to Covid his way through Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

The ****ing toy show !!

The long fella.;)

Sorry Ryan, that nickname is already taken

the MOST important toyshow I have ever DONE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

The ****ing toy show !!

Now that I’d watch.
    Ryan dressed as a dildo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

That monologue at the start is a bit weird all right. It sounds like a slot that he is struggling to fill each day. He sounds much more normal when talking to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

The minute he mentioned the mother I knew she was deceased.

He’s a bloody ghoul.

The long fella.;)

I've stood beside him. He's not long. He's skinny.

What a beautiful death, if you don't mind me saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

plodder wrote: »
    That monologue at the start is a bit weird all right. It sounds like a slot that he is struggling to fill each day. He sounds much more normal when talking to people.

yeah, it's patronizing as fúck.

Like listening to a 3rd class teacher addressing the class.

Catherine is some dose

I've stood beside him. He's not long. He's skinny.

So have I. I was towering over him. That said, I'm just over 6'6". I'd say he's maybe 6' tops. He is very skinny though, maybe that makes him appear taller?

So have I. I was towering over him. That said, I'm just over 6'6". I'd say he's maybe 6' tops. He is very skinny though, maybe that makes him appear taller?

A pull through for a short rifle ?

The long fella.;)

The long toyman fella, or as an acronym TLTMF. Rolls off the tongue.

• Advertisement

A pull through for a short rifle ?

I have to admit to being totally lost on that one......:confused: Can you elaborate further caller? Thank you for your service.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement