Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Not listened to tubbers in a long time but did last week and nothing has changed. Books and American politics is all its about and the misery slot.. How do RTE get away with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

hawley wrote: »
    Since then, he's just become my guy. I'm an Elvis guy, I'm a Beatles guy, and Macca within The Beatles is my guy. So now I've seen him a total of eight times in concert, and I'm going to see him for the ninth time in London on the 16th of December.

The eighth time was strange. I had just returned from holiday, it was Monday morning, I was off work, and a text came to say 'Would you be free on Thursday to come and see Paul McCartney in The Cavern?' - and I've said this already, but it was like Charlie Bucket opening the Wonka bar and seeing the golden glow and thinking 'I can't believe it...' I still can't quite believe it happened.

https://www.rte.ie/culture/2018/0829/988359-ryan-on-the-run-paul-mccartney-me/

'Charlie Bucket opening the Wonka bar'. Just give him a childrens' book show FFS. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

This'll go down well

Kennedy-Website-Banner-2018-v2-1024x298.jpg

He'sLooking forward to someone's book about Trump. "it's going to be scintillating. "
    I'm guessing it won't be complimentary to the Don.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

No doubt if Tubridy was there he would have broke both of the guys legs, as he would have done with the domestic abuser.

• Advertisement

No doubt if Tubridy was there he would have broke both of the guys legs, as he would have done with the domestic abuser.

And from the moral high ground he’s instructing us all not to take any video evidence, which could be crucial in a Garda investigation if the outcome is serious.

And from the moral high ground he’s instructing us all not to take any video evidence, which could be crucial in a Garda investigation if the outcome is serious.

Didn't hear this, but speaking of Tubridy's moralizing, here's an article that captures his approach to it quite well (especially in the last bit about interviewing an addict).

It's something I've noticed a lot with him. Even the David Icke thing the other day about the Holocaust was going that direction. He was making every effort to be heard to say what he thinks is the "right" thing, and the interview suffering for it as he never really gets into any real discussion about anything. Rather than try to explore the reasons why Icke might have doubted the 6 million figure, he comes out with "why don't you just accept the figure that's in front of you". Silly way to approach such an interview. More designed to make him look good than to actually generate interesting discussion.

I imagine that he thinks the audience are sitting there cheering him on as he gives these kinds of lectures from the moral high ground. He must think he's getting to the root of the issue, asking the "hard questions", but in reality it's cringeworthy. Easy, obvious, questions and 'terrible judgement', as this article puts it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/ryan-tubridy-s-10th-late-late-season-starts-with-an-awfully-judged-interview-1.3623052

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Not listened to tubbers in a long time but did last week and nothing has changed. Books and American politics is all its about and the misery slot.. How do RTE get away with it..

It's an alternative to the news agenda apparently. Off switch here.

Didn't hear this, but speaking of Tubridy's moralizing, here's an article that captures his approach to it quite well (especially in the last bit about interviewing an addict).

It's something I've noticed a lot with him. Even the David Icke thing the other day about the Holocaust was going that direction. He was making every effort to be heard to say what he thinks is the "right" thing, and the interview suffering for it as he never really gets into any real discussion about anything. Rather than try to explore the reasons why Icke might have doubted the 6 million figure, he comes out with "why don't you just accept the figure that's in front of you". Silly way to approach such an interview. More designed to make him look good than to actually generate interesting discussion.

I imagine that he thinks the audience are sitting there cheering him on as he gives these kinds of lectures from the moral high ground. He must think he's getting to the root of the issue, asking the "hard questions", but in reality it's cringeworthy. Easy, obvious, questions and 'terrible judgement', as this article puts it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/ryan-tubridy-s-10th-late-late-season-starts-with-an-awfully-judged-interview-1.3623052
    That's a fantastic analysis by Peter Crawley.

I will say this for Tubridy and anyone else who chairs a live chat show like the LLS, there must be incredible pressure on the interviewer to be seen to take the 'popular' line, knowing that every question, your tone, and your body language is being criticised by some guy on the internet in real time. That's got to be daunting.

Having said that, a good journalist asks questions that can make for uncomfortable viewing, both for interviewees and for observers. And Tubridy is paid handsomely to do this. So my sympathy, for one, is limited.

Tubridy can handle the lighter content very well -- I think he's a pretty funny guy -- and he also knows his politics, quite naturally. But I think he struggles with hard-hitting, deeply personal content, such as addiction. I'm not sure Gay Byrne or Pat Kenny were any more acquainted with such topics, but the major difference as I see it, is that they have never been afraid of risking a public backlash. Maybe because they didn't learn their trade in the era of social media.

That's a fantastic analysis by Peter Crawley.

I will say this for Tubridy and anyone else who chairs a live chat show like the LLS, there must be incredible pressure on the interviewer to be seen to take the 'popular' line, knowing that every question, your tone, and your body language is being criticised by some guy on the internet in real time. That's got to be daunting.

Having said that, a good journalist asks questions that can make for uncomfortable viewing, both for interviewees and for observers. And Tubridy is paid handsomely to do this. So my sympathy, for one, is limited.

Tubridy can handle the lighter content very well -- I think he's a pretty funny guy -- and he also knows his politics, quite naturally. But I think he struggles with hard-hitting, deeply personal content, such as addiction. I'm not sure Gay Byrne or Pat Kenny were any more acquainted with such topics, but the major difference as I see it, is that they have never been afraid of risking a public backlash. Maybe because they didn't learn their trade in the era of social media.

Interesting post. Clearly you're trying to be fair to him in this thread where he's getting a lot of stick (a lot of it from myself :pac:).

Of course it must be hard to do live TV. It's a real skill to be able to detach yourself from the criticism and remain relaxed and yourself on screen. There are presenters who can do this, but he cant. This sheds some light on his refusal to stray from status quo opinions, which makes for boring interviews.

I dont think he handles lighter content well. His awkward interviews with Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum are a good example of this. The Peter Kay one I found similar. He doesn't know what to do when someone is more clownish than himself.

Maybe he's acceptable when he interviews one of the Z-Listers that he knows from the Irish media circuit. But there is no value in that whatsoever as far as I'm concerned.

I wouldnt describe him as funny either. The childish persona that loves school and sweeties does nothing for me, but each to their own.

With the politics. He might know a lot about Irish politics. But does this ever translate into good interviews? His interviews with FF are clearly biased and the ones with SF amount to failed attacks that seem to stem from his need to say the 'right' thing. His interest in American politics is more pop cultural. I've never heard him say anything original about Trump, despite talking about the man all the time. He's more interested in JFK as a figure of pop culture, as he revealed in an interview with the Indo a while back.

Your comment about him operating in the era of social media is also interesting. Tubridy claims to be completely detached from social media. He celebrates his lack of Twitter account and smart phone, and calls himself a "young fogey".

For me it's hard to find any redeeming features about this presenter at all. Grand if he wasn't RTE's flagship persona earning a sh*t load of dosh, but he is.

• Advertisement

Has he shares in Black 47?

DEATH FM

• Registered Users Posts: 72,630 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Spin the misery p0rn roulette wheel!

9/11!

Diana!

Hungerford!

Where (when) will it stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,025 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Not a Metallica fan tubs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

It was a good 4 minutes before he mentioned Trump or the latest book he is reading this morning!

15 minutes in and we're onto Disease of the day: Motor Nueron Disease

was depression and mental breakdowns yesterday, and Cystic Fibrosis the day before.

whatever will be next!

15 minutes in and we're onto Disease of the day: Motor Nueron Disease

was depression and mental breakdowns yesterday, and Cystic Fibrosis the day before.

whatever will be next!

Lung cancer, of course!

How long will it take him to mention his beloved Samantha Power, who was on TV last night?

The misery section is late today

The interview begins, “What age were you when you were hospitalised?”

This can only be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Trump Trump Books Sweets Bonkers Clinton Trump

Its difficult to take him semi-serious when he goes and plays Meghan Trainor!!

Gwynplaine wrote: »

He really uses that word too much.

Whatever isn't bonkers is peculiar or curious .

He really uses that word too much.

Whatever isn't bonkers is peculiar or curious .

Or Gerry Ryan's favourite, Bizzare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Gwynplaine wrote: »

Megan Markle

What was that?

An interview with laughter and merriment, yet no misery?!

I think my radio is broken.

What was that?

An interview with laughter and merriment, yet no misery?!

I think my radio is broken.

I thought he was going to cream his pants when the lighthouse fella was talking about all the reading they did!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

The trump bashing sweet loving book lover needs to get off air and do a show on those topics enough is enough

First 20 mins and we get the Kavanaugh thing, plugs for the LLS tonight, the toy show, and the London LLS. Nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

"I have seen the Serena thing but I haven't come to a decision either way"

Oh grow a pair of b*lls once in your life man.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement