Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Talking to an adult woman like she's a toy show guest.

Fishing for a trip on a boat now. Are there no bounds to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

November? He’ll be in election mode from Sept. 1st - if he’s not on holidays.

Wonder how he'll take it when Trump wins again?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Tubs kicked out of every establishment in galway and refused entry to others!!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

When they got a glimpse of the be deck shod pencil necked “ Hooray Henry’s” approaching, it was a wise move!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

When they got a glimpse of the be deck shod pencil necked “ Hooray Henry’s” approaching, it was a wise move!

Wot? Wot?

Well, it is the Toyman, after all

Would Boy-man be more accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I've been working from home the last few months. And some morning with out any distraction I sort of sleep walk into listening to the show once Morning Ireland is over.

I am finding it very difficult to understand who this show is aimed at. And struggle with the question of who the real Tubs is.

The Tubs on radio is a man full of contradictions. His brand of young old foggey is a bit moot now that he is almost 50.

Every morning we are presented with a man who tries to present himself as a cerebral academic who loves to read. But also with the style and panache of a 50s rat packer.

But fails at both. The books are twee and popular fiction. No intellectual heft to any of the books he talks about. I am not expecting Proust. But we are not even talking Anthony Beevor or Graham Greene.
    A political anarok who only seems interested in populist American politics.

I do remember a time when he was trying to pass himself off as some sort of classical scholar. But that seems to of disappeared.

I don't remember any of the Ratpack talking about kindness or respect. I am sure Sammy Davis Jr might like to fill Tubs in on a few things.

Everything else we are left with is affectations.

His phrasing is odd. More Enid Blyton then Roddy Doyle. It's like someone trying to sound like a 40s toff.

The obsession with school and school days is just weird. A 50 year old man talking about how a sunny day is like a free class. It just all sounds wrong.

I find it hard to believe any 50 year old would talk like that to their friends and cohort like that.

Is it all a front? Or is he deluded?

Also who is this show aimed at? About half of it is taken up with the papers. And we are not talking the FT and The Economist.

And the other half is some mammy calling in to tell everyone about some prize her son won. In a sketchy online monthly film festival, you pay to enter.

I can't figure it out. Does he think he is Max from the movie Rushmore?

Would Boy-man be more accurate?

Yeah the whole self aggrandizing thing is weird as well. That and making up nicknames and trying to get them to stick.

It's weird. I just don't get this show.

I've been working from home the last few months. And some morning with out any distraction I sort of sleep walk into listening to the show once Morning Ireland is over.

I am finding it very difficult to understand who this show is aimed at. And struggle with the question of who the real Tubs is.

The Tubs on radio is a man full of contradictions. His brand of young old foggey is a bit moot now that he is almost 50.

Every morning we are presented with a man who tries to present himself as a cerebral academic who loves to read. But also with the style and panache of a 50s rat packer.

But fails at both. The books are twee and popular fiction. No intellectual heft to any of the books he talks about. I am not expecting Proust. But we are not even talking Anthony Beevor or Graham Greene.

I do remember a time when he was trying to pass himself off as some sort of classical scholar. But that seems to of disappeared.

I don't remember any of the Ratpack talking about kindness or respect. I am sure Sammy Davis Jr might like to fill Tubs in on a few things.

His phrasing is odd. More Enid Blyton then Roddy Doyle. It's like someone trying to sound like a 40s toff.

The obsession with school and school days is just weird. A 50 year old man talking about how a sunny day is like a free class. It just all sounds wrong.

I find it hard to believe any 50 year old would talk like that to their friends and cohort like that.

Also who is this show aimed at? About half of it is taken up with the papers. And we are not talking the FT and The Economist.

And the other half is some mammy calling in to tell everyone about some prize her son won. In a sketchy online monthly film festival, you pay to enter.

I'd bet my bollocks he has never seen Rushmore. Or read American Psycho (see yesterday's posts for reference). Tubs is mainstreamingly bland in his choices.

• Advertisement

Great post btw. I'd thank it twice if I could.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I have it on good authority he's MK-Ultra.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

so true it hurts

kamala harris name pronunciation was the big news this morning, was it kam-ala or kamala or ka ....he only had 2 options!

***** Five Star Post!

so true it hurts

kamala harris name pronunciation was the big news this morning, was it kam-ala or kamala or ka ....he only had 2 options!

I mean I just don't get it.
    With a public broadcaster you have to have something for everyone. So we have Ronan Collins for retirees, The Duffster for the perpetually outraged, Areana for the arts. D:Arcy is your light weight magazine show. Hair dresser radio

But who is Tubs aimed at. A light hearted buffer between Morning Ireland and Sarah McInerney. Not with all the misery he trys to get in. Who is the show targeted at. Yummy mummies on the way home from the school run?

It's definitely not aimed working from home weekend warriors wanting to feel supierior by posting on the internet.

I just don't get it.

If I were creating an adult cartoon comic Tubridy would be such an apt character for it. In fact I could make money out of it if I had the dedication and a business head to get subscribers. Simply cartoonise his daily ramblings with a few visuals, dressed along the lines of Noddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Not going to quote Bellbottoms excellent post yet again - But to add to the Newspaper observation, Tubridy frequently champions the Irish Tabloids saying they're underrated in their worthy role of bringing us good honest news type of sentiment.

Personally I refuse to look at any of them since the day I saw a frontpage headline along the lines of "Dad mows down kid in shock horror", basically a tradesman was reversing his van into their driveway after a days work and an unspeakable tragedy occured. It was disgusting how they basically sensationalized this terrible event to sell newspapers - Vile filth.

I think his endorsement of the tabloids is another thinly veneered ploy to make him more popular with and palatable to the "common man" he sees about the place and knows he needs to win over somehow - It certainly doesn't fit in with his velvet smoking jacket, leather slippers and cravat image.

- He also does this when there's a major sporting event at the weekend and someone hands him a 3 line paragraph on a Monday morning so he can talk about how <insert team here> played a <insert sport here> match and how he was at the edge of his seat cheering throughout......

And re the books, certainly yes, he's the type that needs to tell you he's constantly buying books and voraciously consuming them to feed his intellectual appetites......but they're all supermarket mass-output drivel and typically sh1te books.

With a public broadcaster you have to have something for everyone. So we have Ronan Collins for retirees, The Duffster for the perpetually outraged, Areana for the arts. D:Arcy is your light weight magazine show. Hair dresser radio

But who is Tubs aimed at. A light hearted buffer between Morning Ireland and Sarah McInerney. Not with all the misery he trys to get in. Who is the show targeted at. Yummy mummies on the way home from the school run?

It's definitely not aimed working from home weekend warriors wanting to feel supierior by posting on the internet.

I just don't get it.

I don't get it either. I think they have simply let him indulge himself as he is not prepared to put in the yards of research preparation to make a show that might have direction. Notably he is fully prepared to put in practice when it comes to making a performance for the toy show or doing a duet on the LLS C&W special. Once he fecks off out of the studio he is finished work as far as he is concerned, and the current meanderings in his head suffice to fill a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

He reminds me of “Lord Snooty” from the “ Beano” comic! Only friends he had were bought!

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Not going to quote Bellbottoms excellent post yet again - But to add to the Newspaper observation, Tubridy frequently champions the Irish Tabloids saying they're underrated in their worthy role of bringing us good honest news type of sentiment.

Personally I refuse to look at any of them since the day I saw a frontpage headline along the lines of "Dad mows down kid in shock horror", basically a tradesman was reversing his van into their driveway after a days work and an unspeakable tragedy occured. It was disgusting how they basically sensationalized this terrible event to sell newspapers - Vile filth.

I think his endorsement of the tabloids is another thinly veneered ploy to make him more popular with and palatable to the "common man" he sees about the place and knows he needs to win over somehow - It certainly doesn't fit in with his velvet smoking jacket, leather slippers and cravat image.

- He also does this when there's a major sporting event at the weekend and someone hands him a 3 line paragraph so he can talk about how <insert team here> played a <insert sport here> match and how he was at the edge of his seat cheering throughout......

By appealing to the tabloid-reading working-class he hopes to gain their ear, then get them on board to appreciate the value of a good education and digesting books at their own reading level. If Tubs' direction here is heeded we will have a populace filled with middle-class ambition. That's probably in his mission statement, but it comes across like a comical display of awkwardness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

...I am finding it very difficult to understand who this show is aimed at. And struggle with the question of who the real Tubs is.
    ..The Tubs on radio is a man full of contradictions.

Nail on the head there Bellbottoms.

The hypocrisy reared its head this week when he had a go at man bags - "they're not for me...too feminine". A slight homophobic undertone to it, which I've noticed before.

Contrast this with him jumping on the gender bandwagon whenever it occurs to him to do so. For example, He has been banging on about men's book clubs this week.

And when he interviewed that female army officer yesterday he assumed she would take the feminist angle so he started prompting her to call for the army to recruit more women. She shut him down (fair play to her!).

The PC stuff is a front. He's looking for a pat on the back. When the mask slips, you see a much more conservative, prudish Tubridy.

He's also childishly anti-British at times. And it's been mentioned before how his derogatory comments on people's appearances are seriously at odds with his ramblings about kindness.

A walking contradiction alright. He doesn't come across as authentic and that's very off-putting.

He's just trying to be populist. Appeal to everyone. Whichever way the wind is blowing.

Going for Tubridy:
    He has smooth slick delivery.

Against Tubridy:
    He comes across as sanctimonious and fake and doesn't put in the yards of preparation.

Going for Tubridy:
    He has smooth slick delivery.

Against Tubridy:
    He comes across as sanctimonious and fake and doesn't put in the yards of preparation.

... but its getting worse as he seems to be chocking on his spittle more and more often.

Did anyone catch Ryan this morning having a little stab at folk who call him "Bryan" as in "Bryan, I love your show".

Worth listening back if you didn't catch it. He spoke of a singer who has a song about the mispronunciation of her name, and used this opportunity to remind us of his correct name.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Where has the Kindness gone?
    This thread really has degenerated into something utterly pathetic and lock-worthy.
    Especially the likes of post #4599.
    Lets just be kind and lock it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

He. does. the. halting. pause thing when speaking too often for me to ever say he was slick. I remember a guy on Off the Ball (when that was listenable) used to do it too. Amateurish if you ask me.

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    Where has the Kindness gone?
    This thread really has degenerated into something utterly pathetic and lock-worthy.
    Especially the likes of post #4599.
    Lets just be kind and lock it up.

Could we organize an oline zoom men-only buke club? We could read "Patrick and the President" and then, for a bit of balance, have a kitchen concert with The Prodigy's Fat Of The Land album? And afterwards, maybe some plain cake and a cup oif tea while we show our kindess by laughing at any baldies who joined in the zoom call and slagging Trump.

Just a thought...............

Did anyone catch Ryan this morning having a little stab at folk who call him "Bryan" as in "Bryan, I love your show".

Worth listening back if you didn't catch it. He spoke of a singer who has a song about the mispronunciation of her name, and used this opportunity to remind us of his correct name.

I think it's very disrespectful and unkind when people who clearly know his name is Ryan call him Bryan. I would never do that.

giphy.gif

I did make dat gif meself btw!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I just don't get it.
    Hardcore Late Late Show fans, whatever sad creatures they are? I tuned into him for two seconds today by accident and he was namedropping some singer going "Maybe somebody we might get her on the Late Late some time? Hmmm? Hmm would ye like that? Ohh yeahhh" like it was this huge deal. It gave me the heebiejeebs; what kind of persuasion does he think that has and how has he abused that "status"?

Not only does he make my skin crawl with his general demeanour and falseness, now he has some sort of superiority complex that I have to go on knowing about, so that I can't stand him for even one moment.

I feel lucky I can completely avoid him because he turns my stomach.

It may seem harsh but he's the physical embodiment of being promoted beyond your intellect, talent or interestingness. He's thoroughly unlikeable and panders only to the mainstream to an actually troubling extent. Watch him interviewing any visionaries or people with genuine talent and character and see the inferiority he feels bubble to the surface. That's when the little snippets of malice shine through the most. His spirit animal is a weasel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement