Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

s1ippy wrote: »
    Hardcore Late Late Show fans, whatever sad creatures they are? I tuned into him for two seconds today by accident and he was namedropping some singer going "Maybe somebody we might get her on the Late Late some time? Hmmm? Hmm would ye like that? Ohh yeahhh" like it was this huge deal. It gave me the heebiejeebs; what kind of persuasion does he think that has and how has he abused that "status"?

Not only does he make my skin crawl with his general demeanour and falseness, now he has some sort of superiority complex that I have to go on knowing about, so that I can't stand him for even one moment.

I feel lucky I can completely avoid him because he turns my stomach.

It may seem harsh but he's the physical embodiment of being promoted beyond your intellect, talent or interestingness. He's thoroughly unlikeable and panders only to the mainstream to an actually troubling extent. Watch him interviewing any visionaries or people with genuine talent and character and see the inferiority he feels bubble to the surface. That's when the little snippets of malice shine through the most. His spirit animal is a weasel.

So true. I can't help but feel that he is Ireland's Ellen DeGeneres. Preaching kindness to all that will listen but always having an undertone of someone nasty behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

s1ippy wrote: »
    Hardcore Late Late Show fans, whatever sad creatures they are? I tuned into him for two seconds today by accident and he was namedropping some singer going "Maybe somebody we might get her on the Late Late some time? Hmmm? Hmm would ye like that? Ohh yeahhh" like it was this huge deal. It gave me the heebiejeebs; what kind of persuasion does he think that has and how has he abused that "status"?

Not only does he make my skin crawl with his general demeanour and falseness, now he has some sort of superiority complex that I have to go on knowing about, so that I can't stand him for even one moment.

I feel lucky I can completely avoid him because he turns my stomach.

It may seem harsh but he's the physical embodiment of being promoted beyond your intellect, talent or interestingness. He's thoroughly unlikeable and panders only to the mainstream to an actually troubling extent. Watch him interviewing any visionaries or people with genuine talent and character and see the inferiority he feels bubble to the surface. That's when the little snippets of malice shine through the most. His spirit animal is a weasel.

All true, and yet compared to Mr. Duffy he's like David Frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

So true. I can't help but feel that he is Ireland's Ellen DeGeneres. Preaching kindness to all that will listen but always having an undertone of someone nasty behind it.

Funny you should say that.
    But I do remember his Saturday night show. Would ... Hmm borrowing segments, games and competitions from the Ellen show.

This was long before the show was being aired in Ireland.

All true, and yet compared to Mr. Duffy he's like David Frost.

To be air to Mr Duffy. He is no fool. He knows what his listeners wants and give it to them.

I just don't get what listeners to Tubs show want. Unless it's being talked down to, a streak of poorly hidden nastyness and pesudo intellectualism.

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    Where has the Kindness gone?
    This thread really has degenerated into something utterly pathetic and lock-worthy.
    Especially the likes of post #4599.
    Lets just be kind and lock it up.

No caller, most posting on this here thread is illustrative and reasoned and fairly free from inter-personal bashing :)

• Advertisement

Where has the Kindness gone?
    This thread really has degenerated into something utterly pathetic and lock-worthy.
    Especially the likes of post #4599.
    Lets just be kind and lock it up.

You have issues with my post?
    Not the ones, that reference his appearance or call him a chid.

But my one where I ask some questions about his on air persona and ask who the show is aimed at?

This is a forum where we discus radio. I am not calling him names, or making fun about his looks. I legitimately want to know who the show is trying to appeal to?

The show is just a weird outlier in the morning schedule. It is a one hour magazine show. Half of the air time is taken up with a light weight look at the papers. The second half is maybe a guest or a caller.

The papers segment covers a lot of the same ground as Jennifer Zamperelli on 2FM .And as a magazine show its just to short to cover anything substantial. It would make more sense to extend the show or give the extra hour to D'Arcy in the evening.

I am genuinely perplexed as to who it is supposed to be aimed at. And what role it is supposed to fill in the schedule. It is not a good show, I am sorry if you like it. But it is not.

What in my earlier post, makes you think the thread should be locked. Do you not see my criticisms as valid? Do you think I am being unfair towards the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

No caller, most posting on this here thread is illustrative and reasoned and fairly free from inter-personal bashing :)

Reasoned and free from Inter-personal bashing??? Hmmmmm Check out post #3393.

Some posts seem to be okay when directed at certain presenters. But one or two clowns with silly posts gets the shop locked up in regards to other rte crew???
    The Ryan line is not open so to speak!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

What in my earlier post, makes you think the thread should be locked. Do you not see my criticisms as valid? Do you think I am being unfair towards the show?

I think you have the wrong end of the stick. Sorry Poster. I was being sarcastic and being a dick to mods.
    I shouldnt have mentioned your post.
    I agree with everything you said btw.

I think you have the wrong end of the stick. Sorry Poster. I was being sarcastic and being a dick to mods.
    I shouldnt have mentioned your post.
    I agree with everything you said btw.

Sorry I misunderstood.

I am a bit late to the party here.
    But I have a question.

When Tubs went on holiday. RTE went an approached Oliver Callan. Laid down the dates and asked him to cover on the show. He knows how it works. One hour a day, Monday to Friday. Within that one hour he can do what he wants. "Sure", says Oliver.

While he was covering we had a bank holiday. If Tubs is on and it's a bank holiday. They get in a guest presenter. Sure I get that. He might want to go away with his kids what ever fair enough.

But when Callan was in we had the August bank holiday and instead of Oliver we get Marry Morrissey.

Why? We basically have a guest presenter on to cover for another guest presenter. Where is the logic in that.

If I am wrong in saying this please correct me. But dosent having MM in mean that RTE are basically paying out three times for one hour of radio. Once for RT bank holiday entitlement, once for OC bank holiday entitlement and then for MM.

I appreciate that the first two are contractors. But how exactly does it work. No wonder they are hemmoraginy money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I still remember the time he covered for Wogan during the riots and thought he was clever starting the show with “the revolution will be televised “ and got a complete bollicking off the bbc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

that was funny alright. Was that the end of his nixers in the BBC? I think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

As regards the point of the show, it doesn't have one.

That said, he's increasingly trying to present himself as 'Mammy of the Nation' i.e. someone who plays a vital role in fostering national solidarity and keeping all of our worries at bay.

This involves an exhausting stream of patronizing Covid jargon. Every single day without fail. Stuff like, "steady as she goes and let's hurtle through it and don't be mean to front line workers and be one of the good guys because we like that around here".

There's similar moralising about shopping local, reading books and the dangers of technology (the latter with very little consideration for counter arguments).

Mammy of the Nation is his dream role because it involves no work. It's just a case of swanning up to Montrose for an hour, rambling through his ill-thought-out moral lessons and dishing out a weird brand of nostalgia.

Then off he goes on the Vespa to spend the rest of the day eating scones and reading books.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I actually don’t mind him anymore, I was very offended along with Ian Dempsey :) how he was catapulted to the top and the I’m taking over this town attitude and had nothing to back it up back in the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

A nice book I picked up in killKenny which may interest the manchild, full of insights a great read by a cosy fire of a summers evening

Is it just my imagination, or has he become more ever sanctimonious as the years have gone by? I remember thinking years ago that he was not my cup of tea because he was a little too lightweight, more than anything, but in more recent times he has got up my wick more on account of his instructional voice. I don't recall him being quite like that in earlier years, but maybe I've forgotten. To me it seems like he had become embittered with time,

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Kindness
    LLS
    Books

all within the 1st 4 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

An absolute waterfall of words.

A poster here recently pointed out to Ryan's
    salivation. It's quite apparent this morning. Can't recall that being the case years back. There are various medical/dental causes, but might not be something he can do anything about.

Homemade cakes......bingo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭amlinopta

History and cakes, Kinsale here we come!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

sligojoek wrote: »
    An absolute waterfall of words VERBAL DIARRHOEA.

FYP

Is it just me, but I reckon I hear some sort of swallowing sound come from Ryan when he’s half way through a lengthy “speech” about something - almost like he’s swallowing a bit of dunked biscuit with too little tea to wash it down? C’mon, you know what I mean! A bit like Jean Byrne?

I am probably wrong, but now that I have it in my head, it’s the only thing I listen for! Apologies to Ryan for bringing this up but it’s beginning to become the focus of my occasional listening to the programme.

‘Twas me. September last year

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Gorgeous letters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Interview with a Librarian from Offaly retiring tomorrow !!!!

When he's not talking about books, he is chatting to a librarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

NIMAN wrote: »
    When he's not talking about books, he is chatting to a librarian.

A Part Time librarian too !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Possibly the most disinterested any interviewer has been with an interviewee in history which is suprising as this topic is related to books and not sport.

I wonder what he is going to give her as a thank you from us all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Possibly the most disinterested any interviewer has been with an interviewee in history which is suprising as this topic is related to books and not sport.

His books gimmick is simply a gimmick.

I’ve often heard him drone on about books and you can tell the maximum reading he’s done is to read the blurb at the back

The purpose for All the book talk is to fill time with minimal effort.

Also it burnishes his credentials as a “wholesome cultured” presenter following in the footsteps of dear aul uncle gaybo.

But yeah, it’s a fraud and typical of tubridy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement