Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

The joke on alan partridge is based on how obscure and mundane and inconsequential the callers on a graveyard shift show on a regional station.

It's not as funny when it's incredibly well paid presenters show on the main national station at a good time.

Has Tubridy read war and peace?

"Never read Sidney Sheldon....

But I know the name obviously"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If he is as busy as he tells us he is, I don't know where he gets the time to read all the books he claims to be reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

PieOhMy wrote: »
    The joke on alan partridge is based on how obscure and mundane and inconsequential the callers on a graveyard shift show on a regional station.

It's not as funny when it's incredibly well paid presenters show on the main national station at a good time.

he hasn't read it, but he knows the name obviously :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

NIMAN wrote: »
    I wonder what he is going to give her as a thank you from us all?

Thank you for your service

• Advertisement

Gotta love the humble brag early in the show..

Big pile of free books on his desk when he got back from holidays. All gifted to him before release date!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Tubs is like the real life embodiment of Alan Partridge with a dollop of David Brent thrown in for extra gorgeousness.

And he senses the tears coming......he will go full Joe Duffy now and make sure he gets them.

Big pile of free books on his desk when he got back from holidays. All gifted to him before release date!

Man probably pays for nothing.

That's free candles, flowers and books hes confessed to that I've hear about at least.

• Advertisement

When he retires from the LLS , he's going to do a travel show on trains cos it would be a lovely way to visit loads of different places.

Make it so.

I'll pass that on to SOME members of the team :o

When he retires from the LLS , he's going to do a travel show on trains cos it would be a lovely way to visit loads of different places.

Make it so.

A wee hint to the powers that be at RTE?

That's free candles, flowers and books hes confessed to that I've hear about at least.

I'd say Teddy (of Teddy's Ice Cream fame) gives him a 99 and a hand job every time he pops down the pier for a stroll.

Make it so.

It will be a Mafia type shakedown of Portillo to intimate him away from that gig.

He should do a rail journey of ireland show, we could see the excrement that covers irish rails toilets, grapple with the bizzare simultaneous booking online and physical ticket system, enjoy the sound and smells of a hen party from Dublin going to Carrick for the weekend and meet some out happy go lucky ethnic minorities who dont pay for their tickets in the Midlands.

Is it just my imagination, or has he become more ever sanctimonious as the years have gone by? I remember thinking years ago that he was not my cup of tea because he was a little too lightweight, more than anything, but in more recent times he has got up my wick more on account of his instructional voice. I don't recall him being quite like that in earlier years, but maybe I've forgotten. To me it seems like he had become embittered with time,

Stop complaining and just go and put something in a nice frame, will ya!? :D

I actually did get a professional frame job done on an A1 picture recently. Didn't realise how expensive it was to frame stuff. But that's no concern for the Long Fella, as he'll probably get it done for free anyway.

It will be a Mafia type shakedown of Portillo to intimate him away from that gig.

He should do a rail journey of ireland show, we could see the excrement that covers irish rails toilets, grapple with the bizzare simultaneous booking online and physical ticket system, enjoy the sound and smells of a hen party from Dublin going to Carrick for the weekend and meet some out happy go lucky ethnic minorities who dont pay for their tickets in the Midlands.

Orient Express more like. And he’d probably consider that slumming it, or being at one with the average man on the street.

brilliant :D

The answer is either ball or bridge.

Ryan: What kind of bag am I?

I’ve often mentioned in the past on various radio and tv threads how many freebies and junkets these “stars” get. But the real scandal is how many regular RTE staffers get freebies - everything from concert tickets to opening night premieres of theatre shows or movies, hotel stays, meals and so on. You could really take serious advantage if you’re one of the top “stars”.

I’m not going to lie, I’ve benefitted from free concert tickets on behalf of RTE previously and I’ve been invited to various meals and “do”s, but I rarely if ever avail of those. But the whole place from top to bottom reeks of this entitlement. It really is a sh*t show.

• Advertisement

Stop complaining and just go and put something in a nice frame, will ya!? :D

I actually did get a professional frame job done on an A1 picture recently. Didn't realise how expensive it was to frame stuff. But that's no concern for the Long Fella, as he'll probably get it done for free anyway.

Yeah it’s not cheap is it. I got 12 things framed and it was way more than I had expected it to be, but to be fair they did a fantastic job. Frame FX in Dubalin - I can do plugs too! But I don’t get my stuff done for free as a result of the plug.....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

NIMAN wrote: »
    If he is as busy as he tells us he is, I don't know where he gets the time to read all the books he claims to be reading.

Yep It’s impossible

He skim reads them at best. Usually just reads the blurb on the back

The main reason there’s such a focus on books is to fill air space and he can just waffle away at length with minimal preparation

also he gets to keep at a distance from the “great unwashed”.

He does his best to keep interactions with joe public at a minimum.

I’m well aware he’d vehemently deny this

Make it so.

That might actually be a watchable program. The trains of Ireland & Britain could be interesting, and the format might discipline him away from the inane ad lib waffle. Could he pull it off without constant reference to cue cards?

That might actually be a watchable program. The trains of Ireland & Britain could be interesting, and the format might discipline him away from the inane ad lib waffle. Could he pull it off without constant reference to cue cards?

Can you imagine him trying to talk to people in a somewhat normal way !

That would take effort and tubs doesn’t do effort

Yeah it’s not cheap is it. I got 12 things framed and it was way more than I had expected it to be, but to be fair they did a fantastic job. Frame FX in Dubalin - I can do plugs too! But I don’t get my stuff done for free as a result of the plug.....:(

As you know I do be doing a bit of art an dat and have long since given up getting stuff framed because of cost. Instead I do my paintings on deep canvas an dat. Of course it doesn't suit watercolours, which have to be framed, but it suffices for certain acrylic styles.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

Make it so.

Ironic, considering Tubridy's grandfather Todd Andrews was responsible for severely diminishing Ireland's railway infrastructure when chairman of CIE.

It would be First Class only, caller. He's not going to be sitting with the hoi polloi on the 12.30 from Waterford to be joined by the unwell etc along the way.

It would be First Class only, caller. He's not going to be sitting with the hoi polloi on the 12.30 from Waterford to be joined by the unwell etc along the way.

Jiminiy jillickers!

Some sort of “book awards” train with cucumber sandwiches and high tea!

Oh what a caper!

Tubs can wear a straw boater and dickie bow

Warning - no ordinary people allowed.

There will be security on board to unceremoniously fcuk ppl out the window if they dare get too close

Ironic, considering Tubridy's grandfather Todd Andrews was responsible for severely diminishing Ireland's railway infrastructure when chairman of CIE.

Virtually from before the time I went to school aged 4, I had heard of my mother speaking of Todd Andrews and how he killed the Harcourt St line and why we couldn't travel on it, that live going through the area we lived, and where she had long lived. She hadn't a good word to say for him.

• Advertisement

Jiminiy jillickers!

Some sort of “book awards” train with cucumber sandwiches and high tea!

Oh what a caper!

Tubs can wear a straw boater and dickie bow

Warning - no ordinary people allowed.

There will be security on board

The train doesn't go through Wigtown any more, but he could get a bus link from Stranraer to visit the "Book Town of Scotland".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement