Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The train doesn't go through Wigtown any more, but he could get a bus link from Stranraer to visit the "Book Town of Scotland".

Don’t encourage him!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Lot of talk about cobblers today, the vast majority of the population would never use a cobbler, or even know they are still about.

I’ve often mentioned in the past on various radio and tv threads how many freebies and junkets these “stars” get. But the real scandal is how many regular RTE staffers get freebies - everything from concert tickets to opening night premieres of theatre shows or movies, hotel stays, meals and so on. You could really take serious advantage if you’re one of the top “stars”.

I’m not going to lie, I’ve benefitted from free concert tickets on behalf of RTE previously and I’ve been invited to various meals and “do”s, but I rarely if ever avail of those. But the whole place from top to bottom reeks of this entitlement. It really is a sh*t show.

The big question here is, have you ever dined with Mr Duffy? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

That might actually be a watchable program. The trains of Ireland & Britain could be interesting

It is, but Micheal Portillo has beaten him to it.

It is, but Micheal Portillo has beaten him to it.

Then let him do buses instead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

It would be First Class only, caller. He's not going to be sitting with the hoi polloi on the 12.30 from Waterford to be joined by the unwell etc along the way.

Drop him at Longford station for an hour and see how he gets on.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Lot of talk about cobblers today, the vast majority of the population would never use a cobbler, or even know they are still about.

You’re forgetting tubs thinks Enid blyton stories are hard hitting social realism

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

You’re forgetting tubs thinks Enid blyton stories are hard hitting social realism

Maybe hes trolling us, remember a few weeks ago joking about cobblers and the apocathery and habberdashery

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

https://youtu.be/2GWhlTk3afM
    Footage of recent scenes in donnybrook

PieOhMy wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/2GWhlTk3afM
    Footage of recent scenes in donnybrook

Is that tubridy doing the pieces to camera

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

NIMAN wrote: »

No better man for talking cobblers.

Maybe hes trolling us, remember a few weeks ago joking about cobblers and the apocathery and habberdashery

I virtually grew up in haberdashers on account of my mother's business. How I loved all the buttons, trimmings, zips, velcro. Regarding the latter, my mother was offered the agency in Ireland for that, but it would have necessitated use of her brother-in-law's unreliable motor and she knew she couldn't run the business in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

This crossed my mind this morning when he started commenting on how much prep work he's doing behind the scenes. Reading books and taking notes on them and such.

There have been a few comments on the thread in the last few days about his lack of effort.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I am a bit late to the party here.
    But I have a question.

When Tubs went on holiday. RTE went an approached Oliver Callan. Laid down the dates and asked him to cover on the show. He knows how it works. One hour a day, Monday to Friday. Within that one hour he can do what he wants. "Sure", says Oliver.

While he was covering we had a bank holiday. If Tubs is on and it's a bank holiday. They get in a guest presenter. Sure I get that. He might want to go away with his kids what ever fair enough.

But when Callan was in we had the August bank holiday and instead of Oliver we get Marry Morrissey.

Why? We basically have a guest presenter on to cover for another guest presenter. Where is the logic in that.

If I am wrong in saying this please correct me. But dosent having MM in mean that RTE are basically paying out three times for one hour of radio. Once for RT bank holiday entitlement, once for OC bank holiday entitlement and then for MM.

I appreciate that the first two are contractors. But how exactly does it work. No wonder they are hemmoraginy money
    How can you be sure anyone on RTÉ isn't just Oliver Callan at any particular time?

I think they should just sack the lot of them and pay him to do it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The big question here is, have you ever dined with Mr Duffy? ;)

Whilst I have not dined with Mr. Duffy, I have been in his presence in an eating and drinking establishment. Indeed it was my first encounter with the man, knowing precious little about him other than he presented De Whineline - a show I had never listened to at that point, and one which would take me a further 5years+ to listen to. To be kind (not that his behaviour on the day deserves it) he behaved like the proverbial bull in a china shop. He certainly made an impression on me that day, and not a good one.

Washed down with lashings of ginger beer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,508 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Whilst I have not dined with Mr. Duffy, I have been in his presence in an eating and drinking establishment. Indeed it was my first encounter with the man, knowing precious little about him other than he presented De Whineline - a show I had never listened to at that point, and one which would take me a further 5years+ to listen to. To be kind (not that his behaviour on the day deserves it) he behaved like the proverbial bull in a china shop. He certainly made an impression on me that day, and not a good one.

:eek:

Opened his cheeks and blew out a guttural low toned ‘string of pearls’ after the soup??

:eek:

Opened his cheeks and blew out a guttural low toned ‘string of pearls’ after the soup??

The phrase “do you not know who I am?” may or may not have been used.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

The phrase “do you not know who I am?” may or may not have been used.

The fcukin red braces would have been a dead give away .!

True story:

His behaviour was so rude and coarse I at first thought he was Kieran “The Wolf” Ducie - there actually is a resemblance so to speak as they say. I had just spent over a year working in the Yew Kay and Ducie at the time was de dubious darling of de photo op and social pages. As I mentioned in my earlier post I hadn’t much of an idea who Mr. Duffy was and sans beard so to speak I honestly thought it was Ducie.

If you don’t know who Ducie is.....google him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

True story:

His behaviour was so rude and coarse I at first thought he was Kieran “The Wolf” Ducie - there actually is a resemblance so to speak as they say. I had just spent over a year working in the Yew Kay and Ducie at the time was de dubious darling of de photo op and social pages. As I mentioned in my earlier post I hadn’t much of an idea who Mr. Duffy was and sans beard so to speak I honestly thought it was Ducie.

If you don’t know who Ducie is.....google him.

Yes an absolute scumbag that had more than a small part to play in a very infamous blonde model death
    Also a very ugly man

1149092_1_articlelarge_ie-223176_a7dbe329c8654f1a978ce342bb157e38.jpg

151119d-9419.jpg?1581263873

Bit of a resemblance IMO.

He's more like Ben Dunne.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,049 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I just dropped by to say that I think RT seems re-energised after his break.

Pretty good shows this week and even the music choices seem better.

edit: I seem to be in the wrong thread.

elperello wrote: »

All genuine views welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

elperello wrote: »

I know, the poor sod was in need of a good re-energizing break.

I mean, it's been about 2 whole months since he took considerable time off due to being quarantined with a slightly sore throat.

And he was doing the LLS up until May so he hasn't really had time to get over that - just a month or two. And then before that he must've worked the entire month of Feb without a break.

A bonkers run!!:D

Hopefully he's re-energized enough to see him through the next few weeks of doing five hours of 'off the cuff' radio per week.

He did choose some good songs. Fair play to him. They should give him a bonus!

Having just read Fergal Bowers’ article on Coronavirus (RTÉ News Now), I’m struggling to reconcile his view of the near future ie autumn and winter with that of the Toyman’s giddy excitement of the Late Late Toy Show.

Now, I’m not advocating a “doom and gloom” outlook; just a realistic one. All the indicators are, at the moment, going the wrong way.

Having just read Fergal Bowers’ article on Coronavirus (RTÉ News Now), I’m struggling to reconcile his view of the near future ie autumn and winter with that of the Toyman’s giddy excitement of the Late Late Toy Show.

Now, I’m not advocating a “doom and gloom” outlook; just a realistic one. All the indicators are, at the moment, going the wrong way.

Between that and Damien O'Reilly's jibe yesterday at the people he reckons enjoy having everyone locked up in their homes, some of RTE's broadcasters are giving out wrong messages, whilst others, like Lilian Smith this morning, are begging people to heed the public health advice to double all efforts now that it's spreading in the community.

Between that and Damien O'Reilly's jibe yesterday at the people he reckons enjoy having everyone locked up in their homes, some of RTE's broadcasters are giving out wrong messages, whilst others, like Lilian Smith this morning, are begging people to heed the public health advice to double all efforts now that it's spreading in the community.

I really like Lilian Smith and her calm and inclusive show. It’s a must-listen for me at the weekend, as much as John Creedon’s show is during the week. She speaks common sense. A rare treat on RTE radio when compared with Tubridy, Duffy and D’Arcy.

• Advertisement

A blast from the past, but still relevant:

http://www.rabble.ie/2016/08/17/gombeen-12/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement