Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Given the current economic situation, I find all the talk of the Toy Show really in bad taste and demonstrative of the fact that the man lives in a completely disconnected, cosseted world from the public...

The constant Toy Show waffle demonstrates how self-absorbed he is.

'Don't worry little people of Ireland, Toyman is still coming. I know you're all as emotionally invested in the show as I am. Sure what else do you have going on in your miserable little lives!?

He imagines what people need to hear and then tells them this so he can fulfill some weird identity he's trying to carve out as Mammy of the Nation.

Don't worry, the vaccine is coming.
    Don't worry, it's only going to be a socially distanced Halloween for this year.
    Don't worry Santa is still coming

Obviously he is completely unqualified to be giving guarantees about restrictions or vaccines. It's just irresponsible bullshít in order to feel relevant or useful.

He's a sickening character.

'Don't worry little people of Ireland, Toyman is still coming. I know you're all as emotionally invested in the show as I am. Sure what else do you have going on in your miserable little lives!?
    We' ll even get to see the "Late Late Toy show 2020" stickers on the especially selected Shop Doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Not defending this nonsense but in a way I can see where the delusion comes from. He has plenty of time to kill during the day wandering around and so many people he bumps into must mention the toy show, having been brainwashed into thinking its good/relevant by the intense relentless promotion. So then he thinks that everyone likes it, sort of a confirmation bias. So it gets spoken about more and thus the year round cycle continues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

sligojoek wrote: »
    "Women are front and central to the story"
    Woke test passed.

I was finally tuned to that as well Joe. Just like the Chernobyl series. All these incompetent and arrogant men blew up the nuclear plant and one woman told them how to fix it all. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bm_1212

is nobody going to comment on his intriguing branch story

he spotted a delicious branch, gorgeous moss on it (but more of that anon)
    using his mighty limbs, he is unkind to branch and breaks it to be used later in a boutique fire to curl up in front of with a trump book (that only journalists, CNN aficionados and keen US political students will fully understand) and a curly wurly and a muck-achino

• Advertisement

His brief allusion to the slitting throat of a turkey (said his mind working overtime) was a bit creepy, brought to mind his enthusiastic description of a crow killing a small bird in his garden.

I really can’t listen to him anymore because of the continuous stream of babble, drivel and inanity. He’s living in an alternative universe, where the song at the start of the Late Late Toyshow assumes an importance and relevance akin to the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls or the discovery of life on Mars. It’s a song, ffs, not the second coming.

My problem is, if the show was replaced by something more relevant and hosted by someone more connected to the planet (and maybe not from the NK talent pool) what would happen to this thread? This thread is a source of enjoyment. The programme is not.

Long live this thread

Sometimes I think he's becoming more of a parody of himself as he reads this thread and responds in his mind (or with colleagues) with "if the Toyman/Boyman shtick annoys that lot, I'll ramp it up; it's obviously garnering attention and attention is what we want here".

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

sligojoek wrote: »
    "Women are front and central to the story"

Woke test passed.

I missed that, but assumed he had a Degree in Wokeness* from the Louise O'Neill new buke mention earlier.

*NEW from UCD for 2021 - Wokeness: the Degree, sponsored by Ribena.
    Course designed by Dr. Ebony O'Seosaimh, with guest lectures from:
    • Woke McDermott: Dealing with those nasty internet trolls and song-writers from the 1980s with their homophobic slurs whilst seeking self-promotion on the 'gram - an illustrated guide
    • The Other McDermott: Why all men are potential rapists, sexist, and racist - a jigsaw workshop
    • Jennifer Gannon: The Overt Racism in Toy Story 4, told through the medium of creative dance
    • Louise O'Neill: Why I hate men, and if you don't you're wrong, and probably a paedophile - the play
    • Bryan Turdriddy: Kindness: how to champion yourself as the Nation's Kindness giver-in-chief whilst you bully those you look down on (like Shane Lynch, and baldies). Note: This lecture will be delivered through the urban music form known as "grime", with Mr. Turdriddy appearing as "Tubs Z", the erudite urban-rapper from the mean streets of Dalkey

PLUS: early enrolers will get access to EXCLUSIVE CONTENT like Bryan's Plain Cake Recipe!!!!!!!! Wowzers.

His brief allusion to the slitting throat of a turkey (said his mind working overtime) was a bit creepy, brought to mind his enthusiastic description of a crow killing a small bird in his garden.

I'm convinced he's a bit of a sadist. He often seems a bit too excited by gore.

*NEW from UCD for 2021 - Wokeness: the Degree, sponsored by Ribena.

this is gold :D

• Advertisement

this is gold :D

Thanks. I try. The last few days and weeks have been especially difficult on a personal level and while I have mostly managed to keep it together there's something about being preached to on a daily basis by a condescending and patronizing deluded millionaire twit living in the 1940s being paid more than 12 Nurses will make in a year working less hours in said year than most of them will work in 2 months that brings out the worst in me, so to speak as they say.....or the best, depending on your viewpoint. I do however await some bile from the usual suspects.

Thanks. I try. The last few days and weeks have been especially difficult on a personal level

Sorry to hear that, man. Good to have you back.
    and while I have mostly managed to keep it together there's something about being preached to on a daily basis by a condescending and patronizing deluded millionaire twit living in the 1940s...

Since he loves the 1940s so much, he should be paid in 1940s money. That way he can really feel like he's really living it. Take away all recent advancements in medical care and technology while we're at it. See how far he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

The constant Toy Show waffle demonstrates how self-absorbed he is.

Indeed he is a self-absorbed, insulated from reality, twit; however, I came across this at the weekend which might explain a lot however, it is just shilling and I'd question whether the state broadcaster should be involved in passing off this admittedly inane,idle chatter as content; when in fact it's just advertising. Although Ryan mentions it more than 3 times a day outside of the window mentioned; he already is flogging it to death.
    Despite its woeful financial plight, RTE has not increased ad prices on The Late Late Toy Show for the third year in a row. Rather than milk its cash cow, the station has again set the cost of a “platinum package” at €78,500. This gives first slot in two ad breaks, first slot on the RTE Player, and three mentions per day between November 23 and 27 on the The Ryan Tubridy Show on radio, which is going to flog the Toy Show — relentlessly, by the sound of it....................

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/atticus-rte-decides-not-to-toy-with-ad-prices-q3zlv7wtk

It begs the question, how much of his daily 'musings' are just that, and how much of it is covert advertising, bought and paid for? Just like Alan Partidge and the chocolate oranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Maybe on the next late late segment when they bring some farm animals, and a farmer with a rural accent to laugh at, on set the toyman could slaughter and butcher a bird on live on air! Maybe bludgeon it to death with that branch he found in the carpark.

Indeed he is a self-absorbed, insulated from reality, twit; however, I came across this at the weekend which might explain a lot however, it is just shilling and I'd question whether the state broadcaster should be involved in passing off this admittedly inane,idle chatter as content; when in fact it's just advertising. Although Ryan mentions it more than 3 times a day outside of the window mentioned; he already is flogging it to death.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/atticus-rte-decides-not-to-toy-with-ad-prices-q3zlv7wtk

It begs the question, how much of his daily 'musings' are just that, and how much of it is covert advertising, bought and paid for? Just like Alan Partidge and the chocolate oranges.

The books fetishising is obviously being sponsored by the books industry, in that he so often omits mention of public libraries from which people have FREE access to books. A true promoter of reading would give plenty of publicity to the public libraries service as well as the charity & commercial outlets. They would also draw more awareness of other inclusive modes of reading such as audiobooks. When he does actually mention libraries it's always quickly slipped in as an afterthought, maybe prompted by someone (like me) texting in.

In fact when he did speak of libraries earlier in the year he actually had to admit he hadn't darkened the door of one in quite some time and was out of touch about the libraries service.

In my working life in the libraries I came across many people (typically women whose children were entering secondary school) who originally had a very limited education but who were pushing themselves into third level in order to get a better job. I saw some families, who were frequent users of the library, virtually jump beyond the social boundaries so that the children, originally raised in council houses, had become distinctly middle class as they entered college themselves. The libraries are an asset for those who love reading and acquiring knowledge as a leisure pursuit, or are motivated to self-improvement, but without the financial means to purchase tons of reading material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

God ye are a funny lot in here today!

Some Gorgeous jokes in there and a smidgen of beautiful comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Although Ryan mentions it more than 3 times a day outside of the window mentioned; he already is flogging it to death.

How does that work? So Brennan's bread or Persil drop 80k on advert and along with the adverts on TV. Tubs just casually drops them into conversation. Or do they get a shout out.

I know with TV they have to give a warning about paid content or promotions. Is there nothing similar in place for radio?

If not that is a truly bamboozling and mind boggling proposition.

How does that work? So Brennan's bread or Persil drop 80k on advert and along with the adverts on TV. Tubs just casually drops them into conversation. Or do they get a shout out.

I know with TV they have to give a warning about paid content or promotions. Is there nothing similar in place for radio?

If not that is a truly bamboozling and mind boggling proposition.

Imagine if it were Tampax paying this for Tubridy advertising, how would he casually drop it into his ramblings?

"We here are greatly into the comfort in ladies' lives, indeed I was saying to my girls the other day in the supermarket why wouldn't we put some Tampax into the shopping trolley, and they said 'yay! we like THAT'".

I was driving during most of the bits of the show I heard today, but I did hear him say that he had been into a pharmacy to buy a face mask, and that the person behind the counter took down her face mask and asked him to do the same for a selfie, and that he responded that he would be finished if that got out in social media.

So presumably the assistant in the pharmacy has already posted a selfie on Instagram or Facebook of herself with Tubridy in the shop, the latter duly masked and herself maybe unmasked; but that her friends and the pharmacy owner (presumably not herself) now know that she had begged him to unmask. There are idiots everywhere, and this one was prepared to pose as an idiot quite openly. But that's what idiots are apt to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I challenge anyone to find a bigger c*nt than Ryan Tubridy....in Ireland...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I’m beginning to believe the lad may be odds on fav.

I do not accept your odds.... maybe if I got good odds on Oliver Callan the ‘sultan of Shill’or Boucher-Hayes the ‘Sultan of Smug’ I might risk a brown note.

Joe Duffy.

Took me 1 millionth of a milisecond.

1st Runner Up - Gavin Lambe Murphy.
    2nd Runner Up - Barry Egan.
    3rd Runner Up - Bertie Ahern.
    4th Runner Up - John Delaney.

I can do this all night Steven. AND I FOCKING HATE THE BOYMAN.
    I'd wager I hate him even more than you do!

Lot of anger here........

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

I really like Ryan Tubridy.

I find him inoffensive/ informative and decent.
    He did a really good public service at the start of the pandemic.
    The LLS show really stood up and offered comfort to a certain demographic.

You don’t like his radio show or the LLS ?

Don’t tune in

doughef wrote: »

Don’t tune in

Great, I’ll send you a Selection Box and a sleeve of black-and-white movies.

Can I recommend ‘Guns at Battasi’ with Richard Attenborough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Don’t tune in

Legally can't opt out of paying the licence fee though, can we? So with all due respect, people have every reason to be angry and critical of a talentless dilletant who has been made a millionaire.
    So spare me your claims of public service. He's stealing a living.

Don’t tune in

I think you'll find it's against the charter of the Radio Forum to tell people not to listen to shows or to not criticize them. If we were to criticize without listening, we'd be told "you don't even listen to the show".

Re. your points in support of him:

One can be inoffensive/ informative and decent at a fraction of the cost that The Boyman bills RTE and us the taxpayers/licence fee payers for his services.

"He did a really good public service at the start of the pandemic." You think? He's right up there with Tony Holohan isn't he? :rolleyes: Next you'll be saying Jow Duffy saves thousands of lives every day with his butchered pronunciation of "Washyerhanz"

"The LLS show really stood up and offered comfort to a certain demographic." Great, stick him on Live at 3 with Maura and Daithi (and soon to be Sinead from Winning Streak btw, remember where you heard it first) then, again at a fraction of the cost that he currently earns (:rolleyes:) for his heroism :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Don’t tune in

I sense you're a sh*tstirrer.....

I dont listen to his radio show or watch the LLS, just happen upon it every so often....

Tubridy disgusts me....its the falseness, the phoniness, the faux kindness bullsh*t.....

The fact that he is robbing your pocket on his 500k should offend you.....

No one in RTE should be on over 200k...let alone that dainty little bugger....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Don’t tune in

I reckon he ripped the head off the pigeon himself and then blamed it on the cat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I sense you're a sh*tstirrer.....

I dont listen to his radio show or watch the LLS, just happen upon it every so often....

Tubridy disgusts me....its the falseness, the phoniness, the faux kindness bullsh*t.....

The fact that he is robbing your pocket on his 500k should offend you.....

No one in RTE should be on over 200k...let alone that dainty little bugger....

I can't agree or disagree on the person of Tubridy. But like you, I find it insane that a one hour radio host rakes in half a mil a year. Pretty scandalous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement