Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

A new set of rules for how people should write letters to him. The man is delusional.

I’m not listening but did he slap the desk nervously as he said it for emphasis, or is that something he only does on tv?

*Sound of everybody's printer NOT printing out thejournal.ie's guide to the American midterms*

Whilst I find the subject of American politics very interesting, I wouldn’t read the journal’s guide to the journal, let alone anything else.

I tuned in for the first time in ages just now, first two things I heard were Trump and Gaybo, though it was difficult to hear anything over the sound of Tubridy’s tongue licking Fry’s hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

could feel Ryan and the rest of the RTE lot getting nervous when Fry touched on the subject of nepotism.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I didn't hear the show today. Am I right in thinking people must write to the show now instead of emailing?

sligojoek wrote: »
    I didn't hear the show today. Am I right in thinking people must write to the show now instead of emailing?

Yes, and only letters written with a Mont Blanc pen shall be opened by the staff before deciding if they are worthy enough to be passed onto his Majesty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Red Fred

sligojoek wrote: »

General enquiries will be dealt with by "his staff".

You may write personal letters to him directly which he will answer at his leisure. However if you criticise him or say something that he doesn't like, he will bin your letter. Likewise people who say "nasty things" on Instagram etc will be blocked.

So basically he wants to remain in the RTE bubble where all is "fine and dandy" to use a Tubs phrase and the public are getting a great service from their star broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

The inability to take any kind of negative feedback is astonishing.

The inability to take any kind of negative feedback is astonishing.

The man of the people himself Joe Duffy is equally offended by anything remotely resembling criticism.......you should know everyone in RTE is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Dammit, how am i going to get all those dog turds to Tubridy now?

I only listened for a few minutes today during the sycophantic interview with Fry. Tubs said something like "Jimminy Cricket" at one stage (I forget the exact phrase, but it was something like that) and his questions to Fry were completely loaded to get the required negative response - examples being multiple questions with two possible answers given by the host as the only answers; both of which were at various points on a negative spectrum. Incredibly unprofessional.

The last time I listened was a few week ago when Tubs was talking about being in Berlin for the U2 Tour. After scolding some museum for not being up to his standards (yes), he "casually" dropped into conversation that Bono had a note delivered to him saying he wouldn't be able to meet Tubs and his jolly chums after the show as his voice was a little hoarse and he had to rest it. The ego and the lack of self-awareness are astonishing.

• Advertisement

Dammit, how am i going to get all those dog turds to Tubridy now?

Hollow out the inside of a book and place them in the cavity?
    670px-User-Completed-Image-Make-a-Hollow-Book-2013.10.21-00.41.54-1.jpg

I only listened for a few minutes today during the sycophantic interview with Fry. Tubs said something like "Jimminy Cricket" at one stage (I forget the exact phrase, but it was something like that) and his questions to Fry were completely loaded to get the required negative response - examples being multiple questions with two possible answers given by the host as the only answers; both of which were at various points on a negative spectrum. Incredibly unprofessional.

The last time I listened was a few week ago when Tubs was talking about being in Berlin for the U2 Tour. After scolding some museum for not being up to his standards (yes), he "casually" dropped into conversation that Bono had a note delivered to him saying he wouldn't be able to meet Tubs and his jolly chums after the show as his voice was a little hoarse and he had to rest it. The ego and the lack of self-awareness are astonishing.

I'm just talking about Tubs in this instance, but sure you can lob Bono in there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,630 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

The bad phone line.

The language barrier.

Questions about dead parents.

*toes curl up*

I thought he was going to jizz in his pants interviewing Andre Rieu this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Another f**king car crash interview now.

"But I'm sick of all people looking the same. I like kids who are different".

What an awful thing to say to a person with a serious illness. Would it not be better that the poor girl had the same capabilities as every other kid, rather than her being different simply because it amuses him?

Another f**king car crash interview now.

"But I'm sick of all people looking the same. I like kids who are different".

What an awful thing to say to a person with a serious illness. Would it not be better that the poor girl had the same capabilities as every other kid, rather than her being different simply because it amuses him?

So do you know what EB stands for? What an insensitive prick!!! She has the condition, chances are she knows what its all about!!!

Did he give her a signed copy of the new buke?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Heard that review of the worthy afternoon catching up on old school correspondence - did I hear him say there were letters on the desk for 2 years without any sense of irony?

A repeating phrase creeping in I notice is "the whole kit'n'kaboodle".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Imhof Tank wrote: »

A repeating phrase creeping in I notice is "the whole kit'n'kaboodle".

Bonkers

Gwynplaine wrote: »

Bonkers

curious and peculiar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Sidebar

Tubridy is weird, but most big radio presenters in Ireland come across as odd: would you like to have a pint with any of them? I wouldn't. RTE is a little nepotistic bubble where the employees have to perpetuate their own importance to justify their massive wages. Their audiences are getting smaller and smaller: once the older generation dies out, nobody will be listening or watching. I only listen to podcasts of my choosing, and I love my local community radio station, CRC, here in Mayo. F*ck RTE, Tubridy, Joe Duffy, D'Arcy etc. I just want to act like they never exist. I'll also never pay a TV license; I'd rather not have a telly, that give those c*nts a cent. I would happily contribute to my local radio station, pay for youtube and podcasts, but I'm not giving money for nothing to **** in south Dublin.

Tubridy has a new kids book coming out, The First Christmas Jumper. Did you ever hear anything as puerile and unimaginative as that? He is like a successful Alan Partridge, with no quality control, but doesn't need it because any half-baked idea gets green-lit by his cheerleaders in RTE. It is actually very disturbing to watch this man behave like an overgrown child on the Late Late Toy show. He's not endearing: he is an odd one, like how Jimmy Saville was odd. I'm not saying Tubs is a criminal, but he's a bit off. I'm also fairly sure RTE over-inflate viewing and listening figures for all their output, just to keep the gravy-train, jerk-circle going.

Tubridy is weird, but most big radio presenters in Ireland come across as odd: would you like to have a pint with any of them? I wouldn't. RTE is a little nepotistic bubble where the employees have to perpetuate their own importance to justify their massive wages. Their audiences are getting smaller and smaller: once the older generation dies out, nobody will be listening or watching. I only listen to podcasts of my choosing, and I love my local community radio station, CRC, here in Mayo. F*ck RTE, Tubridy, Joe Duffy, D'Arcy etc. I just want to act like they never exist. I'll also never pay a TV license; I'd rather not have a telly, that give those c*nts a cent. I would happily contribute to my local radio station, pay for youtube and podcasts, but I'm not giving money for nothing to **** in south Dublin.

Tubridy has a new kids book coming out, The First Christmas Jumper. Did you ever hear anything as puerile and unimaginative as that? He is like a successful Alan Partridge, with no quality control, but doesn't need it because any half-baked idea gets green-lit by his cheerleaders in RTE. It is actually very disturbing to watch this man behave like an overgrown child on the Late Late Toy show. He's not endearing: he is an odd one, like how Jimmy Saville was odd. I'm not saying Tubs is a criminal, but he's a bit off. I'm also fairly sure RTE over-inflate viewing and listening figures for all their output, just to keep the gravy-train, jerk-circle going.

I have to ask, are you me?

Except for the tv licence thing; sadly my law-abiding sensibilities take over and ensure compliance.

I listened back to his pretentious rant the other day about blocking anyone who says anything against him on social media.

The more I think about it, the more incredible it seems that a 'star' presenter would feel the need to come out with such a statement.

It sounded like a teacher giving out to his students for misbehaving and pretty much summed up his boring personality, school-teacher mentality, and the stifling, outdated values of RTE.

I cant imagine a presenter of any half decent light entertainment show having to behave in such a narky, bothered, and nervous manner.

He's terrified of the criticism that would justifiably be directed towards himself and his shows.

I listened back to his pretentious rant the other day about blocking anyone who says anything against him on social media.

The more I think about it, the more incredible it seems that a 'star' presenter would feel the need to come out with such a statement.

It sounded like a teacher giving out to his students for misbehaving and pretty much summed up his boring personality, school-teacher mentality, and the stifling, outdated values of RTE.

I cant imagine a presenter of any half decent light entertainment show having to behave in such a narky, bothered, and nervous manner.

He's terrified of the criticism that would justifiably be directed towards himself and his shows.

I listened for the last 15mins or so of today's show. He's just stated that he welcomes the opposing views on Peter Casey as these lead to questions and debate and isn't that a good thing? Yes, unless any questions or criticism is directed at Tubs or RTÉ it seems!

The last 15minutes today consisted of:

An interview with the owner of the Maynooth Book Shop. This was used as a vehicle to repeatedly hammer home the message that books are amazing. Ryan also took the opportunity to tell the owner (Cian) that he would pop in someday when on his merry adventures. What a treat that will be for Cian! I love books myself btw but don't feel the need to make it a crusade. He then said that "one of the reasons I love presenting this show is that all of you love books". What research are you basing this on Ryan?

We then had a Beatles song, followed by Ryan telling us he was going to see "Macca" again in London with some of his pals in a few weeks. I wonder is it yet another of those intimate gigs with invited only audiences, designed by Record Labels and PR Companies to gain press coverage in advance of a new album or the Christmas selling period whilst excluding completely ordinary fans/people? One would assume so. I wonder will Ryan get a personal note like the ones Bono sends him when he attends U2 gigs?:rolleyes:

Then we had a list of guests on TLLS tonight and Ryan saying it was going to be "one of those nights", implying one would assume "craziness". Jennifer Zamparelli is on the guest list tonight, putting the Z in Z list and yet another RTÉ employee/contractor being interviewed and billed as being a star of some sort.

Bonkers.

The last 15minutes today consisted of:

An interview with the owner of the Maynooth Book Shop. This was used as a vehicle to repeatedly hammer home the message that books are amazing. Ryan also took the opportunity to tell the owner (Cian) that he would poop in someday when on his merry adventures. What a treat that will be for Cian! I love books myself btw but don't feel the need to make it a crusade. He then said that "one of the reasons I love presenting this show is that all of you love books"

Did he actually say that? :D:D:D

Did he actually say that? :D:D:D

Sadly, no; but had he said it, it would have been the most interesting and amusing thing he's ever said.

I've commented on this previously, like yourself I find it a very disturbing and uneasy watch.

Yes, that comment could be applied to The Late Late Show a whole, but there's something eerily creepy about The Toy Show in particular.

• Advertisement

I think what annoys me most is not Tubridy, but the culture he exists in. He's just a slightly creepy buffoon, whose world involved growing up in Dublin 4, going to uni in Dublin 4, working in Dublin 4. It's not like he, or any other RTE presents, are super ambitious, but they are constantly handed all these opportunities, despite their lack of any talent or popularity. The incestuous media bubble in Ireland is full of people rewarding themselves with big money for nothing, so these people behind the scenes need their poster-boys to hide behind: they know none of the presenters will rock the boat, because they know that they too are on to a good thing. I imagine that none of these people would survive for long against any talented competition, but they will continue to fabulously reward themselves while they can get away with it in Ireland. They'll hype themselves up, but if they had any real talent, then wouldn't settle for RTE.

Having said that, there is no way I would let my (hypothetical) kids near Tubridy, and if one of them ever expressed a liking for Patrick & The President or The First Christmas Jumper (whatever the f*ck it's called), or indeed, even the christmas toy show, they would be straight to a psychologist or put up for adoption! If they want to see toys, I'll take them to a toy shop, not have them witness that weirdo at play.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement