Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭morebarn2

I
    How long does the results of complaints take to come to light?

I was wondering how many or if any did actually complain about his treatment of Peter Casey?

I read somewhere online yesterday,(sorry I just can’t remember which website!), that there were over 500 complaints lodged.

Something like 90 phone calls and the rest were eMails and I presume written complaints.

They included both those who were opposed to Peter Casey being a guest and those complaining about Ryan Tubridy’s interview .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

morebarn2 wrote: »
    I

I read somewhere online yesterday,(sorry I just can’t remember which website!), that there were over 500 complaints lodged.

Something like 90 phone calls and the rest were eMails and I presume written complaints.

They included both those who were opposed to Peter Casey being a guest and those complaining about Ryan Tubridy’s interview .

I read the same. Here's a link https://extra.ie/2018/11/11/entertainment/movies-tv/500-people-complained-to-rte-after-peter-caseys-late-late-show-appearance

They'll probably still ignore the matter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

In fairness, who is going to buy his sh*t book? He needs to plug it relentlessly to shift a few copies.

Today he says he can't get into the new John Lewis Christmas ad because Elton John was paid 5 million euro to make it. Odd that he would have a problem with another "celebrity" cashing in on Christmas when this is exactly what he is doing himself. At least Elton John does not promote it on the public purse.

firstchristmasjumper_cover.jpg?width=270&height=360&mode=max

• Registered Users Posts: 72,630 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Today he says he can't get into the new John Lewis Christmas ad because Elton John was paid 5 million euro to make it. Odd that he would have a problem with another "celebrity" cashing in on Christmas when this is exactly what he is doing himself. At least Elton John does not promote it on the public purse.

firstchristmasjumper_cover.jpg?width=270&height=360&mode=max

Let me guess...the hero of the book is a sheep called Hilary who has to defeat the evil orange sheep called Donald in the next field :rolleyes: :D

My god, I was only joking!

The sheep really IS called Hilary!! :eek: :eek:

http://www.walker.co.uk/The-First-Christmas-Jumper-and-the-Sheep-Who-Changed-Everything-9781406388732.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

http://www.walker.co.uk/The-First-Christmas-Jumper-and-the-Sheep-Who-Changed-Everything-9781406388732.aspx

You can't satirise this guy: he is beyond satire. He's like a self-aware Alan Partridge. I would love to ask kids for a review of this book, and not ones that are on the toy show!

:D:D I thought you knew when I read your post. I wonder is Hilary the sheep involved in any corrupt "charities". Sure if she was I'm sure it wouldnt be mentioned :pac:

"A jelly baby-obsessed farmer" also appears. Oh dear.

In fairness, who is going to buy his sh*t book? He needs to plug it relentlessly to shift a few copies.

It is disgraceful that RTE have indulged Tubridy with this nonsense. He is their employee and all that time he's been spending promoting this book should have been spent responding to the criticism of his terrible performance with Peter Casey and explaining how he got it so wrong.

And look here, it seems like Tubridy gets preferential treatment in all areas of his life. I was in Tesco big store in Naas, and was pretty sick when I saw this

466320.jpg

And remember people, he was approached by the book company with a three book deal. Then he had to decide what subjects he would write about! It was literally him cashing in his RTE chips, and there he is getting preference over professional authors who's life work is now given second stage behind a book that was only written because he is a high profile RTE "star".

Joe Duffy will be telling us later in the year about how difficult it is for independent authors to get published. Very hard with all the RTE books filling the shelves, Joe. Shame on Tubridy and shame on RTE for letting him get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

It is disgraceful that RTE have indulged Tubridy with this nonsense. He is their employee and all that time he's been spending promoting this book should have been spent responding to the criticism of his terrible performance with Peter Casey and explaining how he got it so wrong.

And look here, it seems like Tubridy gets preferential treatment in all areas of his life. I was in Tesco big store in Naas, and was pretty sick when I saw this

466320.jpg

And remember people, he was approached by the book company with a three book deal. Then he had to decide what subjects he would write about! It was literally him cashing in his RTE chips, and there he is getting preference over professional authors who's life work is now given second stage behind a book that was only written because he is a high profile RTE "star".

Joe Duffy will be telling us later in the year about how difficult it is for independent authors to get published. Very hard with all the RTE books filling the shelves, Joe. Shame on Tubridy and shame on RTE for letting him get away with it.

Lots of five stars reviews for his new book on Amazon, with the addendum of "Thanks to Walker Books for the free copy". More fake news. Completely agree that he shouldn't be permitted to engage in promotion of his book on radio or TV. It'll be interesting to see if he has the neck to include on the Toy Show book recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

466320.jpg

hawley wrote: »
    Lots of five stars reviews for his new book on Amazon, with the addendum of "Thanks to Walker Books for the free copy". More fake news. Completely agree that he shouldn't be permitted to engage in promotion of his book on radio or TV. It'll be interesting to see if he has the neck to include on the Toy Show book recommendations.

And again I refer to:
    No matter how much he plugs it, no-one in the history of broadcasting will ever plug a book like Joe Duffy plugged his “De Chislers Dat Did Doyed in De Rising and dat” buke from August 2-15 - December 2-16. He has been plugging his next buke (also about dead chislers) since sometime during this past summer - and it’s not even written yet.

No matter how blatant Tubs gets on this, it'll never reach Duffy's "standards".

I'm thinking of buying "Patrick and the President" as a present this year, for someone I despise. They're available for £0.26 Sterling on amazon but that's more than I really want to pay TBH.

• Advertisement

One of my fav things to do when I am browsing in a bookstore is to find the Irish interest/RTE books and cover them with other books, or else hide them at the back of a shelf. It's petty but it makes my heart glow :) Why only yesterday I covered Des Cahill's stupid face in Tesco!

A number of years back when B-b-b-bertie's autobiography was out I was waiting on herself in town one Christmas and went browsing in Waterstones. I placed all copies of said book in the "True Crime" section. Took a while but totally worth it. :pac: I think I posted a picture of this at the time on boards, but maybe not.

I really think you are me.....

A number of years back when B-b-b-bertie's autobiography was out I was waiting on herself in town one Christmas and went browsing in Waterstones. I placed all copies of said book in the "True Crime" section. Took a while but totally worth it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have moved it somewhere more appropriate. You're welcome Tesco. :)

466337.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Thanks for the suggestion. I have moved it somewhere more appropriate. You're welcome Tesco. :)

466337.jpg

Gimp in the white shirt has you scoped.

466337.jpg

I love this :D:D:D:D:D:D Is that tesco in Naas? I'll be in there during the week so I'll give it a go then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

The misery factor is off the charts today!!

Mother’s sickness & death
    Sister’s sickness & death
    Baby’s death at birth
    Son’s sickness
    His own mental trauma in Lebanon.
    ...All in one helping.

Joe Duffy’s nipple clamps with electric stimulator must have been at top voltage listening to this (fibre gade alert at Dollymount) and wishing this man had phoned Lahvlahn instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

For a fella who reads so many books, you'd think his vocabulary would be a bit wider. Everything is 'peculiar' and 'bonkers'
    I actually don't know why I listen to this show. I have no interest in US politics, being a child, The Beatles, and I only read maybe 3 books a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Actually that wasn’t misery compared with today!!

Never heard anyone love the grief as much as tubbs does!

I'm really sick of all this "Can't we just all get along" bullsh1t that he has been going on with since the Peter Casey interview. He didn't have the b@lls to answer to all of the complaints that RTE received because of his poor performance. Instead of accounting for himself, he has been subtly responding in a cowardly manner, by making "why cant we live in a world where all men respect each other" type statements, without actually mentioning that he is speaking in response to Peter Casey.

Ryan, let's see how you feel about respecting other other men when you have 20 caravans on your front lawn.

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    For a fella who reads so many books, you'd think his vocabulary would be a bit wider. Everything is 'peculiar' and 'bonkers'
    I actually don't know why I listen to this show. I have no interest in US politics, being a child, The Beatles, and I only read maybe 3 books a year.

Do you have a death, illness and misery fetish that you were previously unaware of?:pac:

• Advertisement

I'm really sick of all this "Can't we just all get along" bullsh1t that he has been going on with since the Peter Casey interview. He didn't have the b@lls to answer to all of the complaints that RTE received because of his poor performance. Instead of accounting for himself, he has been subtly responding in a cowardly manner, by making "why cant we live in a world where all men respect each other" type statements, without actually mentioning that he is speaking in response to Peter Casey.

Ryan, let's see how you feel about respecting other other men when you have 20 caravans on your front lawn.

Poppycock! That simply wouldn't happen Anthony as the portcullis is only raised enough to allow a car to pass beneath it.

+1 on this.
    Is he still saying "holy moly" all the time too?

Have we any evidence he actually reads as voraciously as he implies? He may simply be claiming to do so......:rolleyes:

After checking how much "Patrick and the President" was on amazon the other day (£0.26 if you're curious), I looked at some of the preview. It was written in a style I can only liken to those silly essay you were given in primary style such as "What I did for my summer holidays" etc. Perhaps that was the intended style? As I said I only glanced at it, but I wouldn't buy it even if I had a niece or nephew 12 or younger who had an unhealthy interest in US Presidents and shamrocks & shenanigans.

yeah, this is a major head-wrecker. I remember reading Roald Dahl books as a kid that these words are very common there. It's Tubridy trying to sound intellectual and quirky. I think a lot of what he says is just straight up repeating stuff he's heard/read. "Curious" is another of his favourites.

He tries to portray himself as a bookish nerd while giving it the whole "I don't care if anyone thinks being a nerd isnt cool" (and what adult in their right mind even thinks like that?) . But the thing is, he's actually not a nerd. It would be great if he was a proper geek, but he's not. He's just a spoiled, infantile (and not in a funny way) person with nothing of note to say. Anything he talks about - even his supposed passions of books or politics - is just status quo drivel with no originality of thought. There's no substance with him and I think that's ultimately what annoys people.

Since Casey, as other posters have also pointed out, he's been making these underhanded comments to counter the criticism and portray himself as some sort of champion of fair debate. All of this while not acknowledging the hundreds of complaints about him against Casey. This sort of arrogant ****e shows the lack of genuine respect he has for his audience. Firstly, he thinks people are thick enough not to see what he's doing. Secondly, he hasn't the balls to come out and at least defend his position and stand by his interview. Again, no substance.

He went at Casey because he thought he would get a pat on the back from everyone and not because he gives a **** about travellers. I dont think it was because he genuinely dislikes Casey. He was just doing what he thought would make himself look good. I would have cared a lot less if I thought his interview was coming from an authentic place. His contrived behaviour is so obvious though, which is why he's not likable.

I haven't heard much of his radio show this week but I know that he's spending the first few minutes pontificating with self-righteous ****e to portray himself as a great fella. One example that springs to mind is him proudly going on about how he stopped and spoke to a homeless person on the street (only because he had a few minutes to kill, it seems). And, of course, we should all be doing this - he is the master of empathy to homeless people having killed a few minutes by chatting to one on route form d4 to d2. I can almost imagine him on Baggot Street dragging the misery out of the poor person and only DYING to get on air to tell us all about how important it is to be like him. He sounds like a failed Miss World hopeful - no real substance to what he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Yesterday he was talking about some competition he is running where people send him in letters they wish that they'd written. The gist of it was that there were plenty of misery letters which would make anyone emotional - even a cynical, hardened hack like Tubridy (that was what he implied he is!). I don't think asking people what colour their nail polish is or the name of their cat makes him a hardened hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

9.20. Already we have....
    - peculiar
    - toy show
    - books
    - President Kennedy
    - misery

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

When is the toy show on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

9.20. Already we have....
    - peculiar
    - toy show
    - books
    - President Kennedy
    - misery

Beatles

The famine

• Advertisement

Plug for Aer Lingus.

The stewardess, as she was called at the time.

PC at its best.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement