Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Can I ask what you asked, caller?

Was it:

Why are you such a cünt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I asked him what song he was opening the toy show with.....

:D

I remember DLB Tubridy being disgusted at the idea of doing the toy show...he didnt want to wear the jumper etc etc...he grudgingly did it at the start.......now he has gone full on creepy Toy man, really creepy.....

Jimmy Saville creepy....

I wouldn't compare his intentions to those of the late loathed Jimmy Saville, but he the way he crowbars it over a show which is adult oriented comes across oddly to say the least. He is an awkward guy who would have been better put on children's programs where he could talk away about kindness, books, school, Christmas, etc all he likes. He's a square peg in a round hole, and got shoehorned into Gaybo's enormous boots because of the right connections.

Any suggestions here for what show he might be theming this year's ToyBoy show on? As BS said de giffing does be very relaxing in deze times if stress and depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Any suggestions here for what show he might be theming this year's ToyBoy show on? As BS said de giffing does be very relaxing in deze times if stress and depression.

Toxic avenger the musical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He's a square peg in a round hole, and got shoehorned into Gaybo's enormous boots because of the right connections.

I cant remember back the 11yrs or so (?) to when he got the LLS gig, but what was his career doing at the time that enabled him to get what is arguably the top job in Irish tv?

Was he the talk of the circuit?
    Was he winning awards?

Who was his competition for the job?

NIMAN wrote: »
    I cant remember back the 11yrs or so (?) to when he got the LLS gig, but what was his career doing at the time that enabled him to get what is arguably the top job in Irish tv?

Was he the talk of the circuit?
    Was he winning awards?

Who was his competition for the job?

The first time I recall Tubridy as an entity was when he became a minor sidekick for the Today with Pat Kenny show, rather in the way Duffy had been for Gaybo's radio show. Tubridy would be sent on outside broadcasting fluff stints, reporting back to Pat. My very first recollection is of him being sent to do a short stand-up comedy stint in a small hotel/bar on Wicklow St, when he had never apparently done such before. Can't remember the "comedy" bit, but that he reported confidently how well it went and that he had the neck to try anything and not worry about making an eejit of himself. I remember envying him his brass neck, his gift of the gab, the confidence of quick unhesitant speech. But I thought he was insubstantial from the outset and just liked to parade himself as being worthy of media attention. Pat referred to him as "the young Ryan Tubridy", the rising media star. I hadn't realised he was Todd Andrews' grandson still that point.

I'm a bit vague about the exact timeline of his career thereafter, but if memory serves me right he was given the slot he has now and just waffled with irritatingly rapid speech about nothing, couldn't stand him. Then he disappeared over to 2fm to take over his late friend Gerry Ryan's slot, where he didn't go down well, and was eventually resurrected back onto his current slot. Before Late Late Show he had his Tubridy Tonight show on Saturday night, which I loathed so much for its cheapness that my mother would get amusement by turning it up extra loud when I'd be around to see it, telling me how much I'd love to be under the sheets with him, as she sat on the TV zapper.

Pat Kenny had clearly wanted out of the LLS after his 10 year stint, otherwise they would have let him stay at it. The talk seemed to be of Tubridy taking over after Pat's announcement, which was some time not long after Joe Duffy had his leg accident. I think a sprinkling of other contenders were thrown in, fire most Gerry Ryan, along with maybe Miriam O'Callaghan mentioned. They viewed Tubridy as having the Blarney whilst being safer than G Ryan. The salary that went with it followed somewhere along the lines of the absurd riches afforded to previous hosts, who at least put in any amount of preparation work to try and earn it.

Tubridy, I suspect has attention deficit, and doesn't have the stamina or focus to put in anything like the homework needed to present a high quality TV chat show or radio talk show if any substance, and sticks to his little hamster-wheel of vintage-hygge and childhood mind meanderings.

He had some authority when he started out and wanted to change things, sadly he wanted retro change to the classic Johnny Carson days and not TVs future, fell on his arse and now clings on to the toy show and gorgeousness for dear life.

Kindness.
    Positivity.
    Plugs, and plugs = freebies!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

gorgeous, kindness, bespoke, artisan

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Advertisement

Millionaire on guaranteed income for precious little output talks of the difficulty of putting bread on the table.

Kindness.
    Positivity.
    someone making bespoke jewellery requires a lot of positivity.....or a very wealthy benefactor / bread winner. #bekind.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Kindness.
    Positivity.

Sense of purpose

BIG Late Late Show Plugfest!

Think of the freebies!!!!!

FoyverFryday basically. Bryan will get a bit of an auld buzz goin’.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

On the shop local thing, I would do it far more often if Irish artisans or producers weren't such rip off merchants.

Go to any local market and you wouldn't believe the prices being charged. Many Irish retailers, sellers etc don't help themselves.

On the shop local thing, I would do it far more often if Irish artisans or producers weren't such rip off merchants.

Go to any local market and you wouldn't believe the prices being charged. Many Irish retailers, sellers etc don't help themselves.

“Go local and get ripped off” says the man getting the stuff for free!

Plugs and hugs

a grate buke...Joseph Duffy

I’m all for shopping local but in the current economic climate many are really struggling and every cent counts. Bryan should really be encouraging people to shop for value as much as shopping local.

• Advertisement

A Covid-friendly hug of kindness. ��

Our friends at Rte online.

I remember Pele Bryan, bit I have no idea who “Pelly” is.

Wrong Ryan. They were discovered in Sligo

Brazilian gorgeousness

"Playing this song for no particular reason."

After the song we hear there's a McCartney connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

dvcireland wrote: »
    someone making bespoke jewellery requires a lot of positivity.....or a very wealthy benefactor / bread winner. #bekind.

Was there free bespoke jewelry received again?

Creatures and puffins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Casual mention of how unbelievably popular his Late Late Show is.

More popular than ever. Take that Gay Byrne!!

Must be a reaction to the criticism that the LLS is receiving lately cos of his patronising sermons, regurgitated Z-list guests and abysmal interviews with bigger stars.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 49 Softshoulder

So many people seem to think Irish people should just support Irish "businesses" because they're Irish and they are an income for a person.

Why? Business is about supplying a product you choose to buy over another base on service, price, quality. Being Irish and giving an income to an irish person doesn't even come into the equation for me.

If I went out tomorrow and started making candles and selling them, I'd probably get some pity business from people thinking "ah sure he's only himself and he needs the money". But it's not sustainable.

The thing about these "shop local" people is that they don't care about the buyer. They don't care if you get ripped off and you're struggling with money. You have to look out for yourself before looking out for others and if that means going to Amazon, not having to leave my house and getting the same product for 20% less, then I'll do that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement