Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

This show has now basically turned into a plugfest for products or The Late Late Show, all delivered by a waffling, entitled, deluded, millionaire Boyman.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

More texts that didn’t happen.

Older listeners will likely remember the Tom Hanks movie "Big" from the 1980s. I think Bryan could be the actual real-life embodiment of the lead character in that movie - a 13year old boy living in the body of a grown man.

FOOOOOOOF!

Texter said "nice programme every day, caring and warm"

Sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,650 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's the current government in power making this decision to bury the archives for 30 years, he's trying to shift blame to everyone who didn't vote them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Should the issues with the files not have been discussed earlier in the week I.e before the vote? Your fooling nobody by pretending to care Ryan after the decision has already been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

No mention from him of who was in power when all the abuse took place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

I like the show. Especially the 1st half hour each day. There I said it.

crisco10 wrote: »

Hi Noel Kelly! Welcome to boards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

You are entitled to like it! Out of curiosity what is it in the 1dt half hour you like? I like the idea of flicking through the papers myself and a bit of opinion and comment on the main stories. It's just the hosts personality and bias that prevent my from liking it on this show. I'm usualy gone by the misery phone call of the 2nd half hour then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No interview today?

Just an hour of rambling and a quiz?

Easy money today.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    You are entitled to like it! Out of curiosity what is it in the 1dt half hour you like? I like the idea of flicking through the papers myself and a bit of opinion and comment on the main stories. It's just the hosts personality and bias that prevent my from liking it on this show. I'm usualy gone by the misery phone call of the 2nd half hour then.

Yup, i enjoy the read through of the "news". I find it gentle company as I work. I don't mind bias, he just has an opinion. I'm not looking for hard hitting, objective discussion of the issues at hand. Similar to that person who sits beside you at work, you don't have to agree with their views to enjoy their company.

The bleeding heart at 9:30 can be a bit tiresome and I do sometimes stop listening around then, partly cos I frequently have conference calls starting too.

NIMAN wrote: »
    No interview today?

Just an hour of rambling and a quiz?

Easy money today.

Easier. Everyday is easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

The people that used to complain about it, and say that they had to listen to it because it was on in the office.
    I'm assuming they are still in the office?

redmgar wrote: »
    The people that used to complain about it, and say that they had to listen to it because it was on in the office.

Well it is all part of WFH. It’s like WTF really!

a) some of us are yes. Some of us have worked every day throughout the pandemic and been in work every day
    b) some of us hate-listen or listen for sh*ts and giggles to see how bad it can be, how much humblebragging he does, how many freebies he can indirectly ask for, how many Late Late Show and Toy Show mentions he can do in the months from December one year to November the next etc. etc.
    c) some are a combination of the above
    d) some likely listen for many other reasons

What does it matter how or why people listen? If they criticized without listening I suspect you'd likely complain about that. I personally would rather people listened and based their criticism on that.

a) some of us are yes. Some of us have worked every day throughout the pandemic and been in work every day
    b) some of us hate-listen or listen for sh*ts and giggles to see how bad it can be, how much humblebragging he does, how many freebies he can indirectly ask for, how many Late Late Show and Toy Show mentions he can do in the months from December one year to November the next etc. etc.

What does it matter how or why people listen? If they criticized without listening I suspect you'd likely complain about that. I personally would rather people listened and based their criticism on that.

a) Same here
    b) Don't understand why you would listen on a daily basis to something you don't like.
    c) Working through a pandemic is hard enough without listening to something you don't like.
    d) ?

And if you complained without listening then that would be mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Yup, i enjoy the read through of the "news". I find it gentle company as I work. I don't mind bias, he just has an opinion. I'm not looking for hard hitting, objective discussion of the issues at hand. Similar to that person who sits beside you at work, you don't have to agree with their views to enjoy their company.

The bleeding heart at 9:30 can be a bit tiresome and I do sometimes stop listening around then, partly cos I frequently have conference calls starting too.

500k per year is a very expensive price for gentle background noise. Would you pay him that?

Do you not find the daily COVID sermons patronising?

• Advertisement

a) Same here
    b) Don't understand why you would listen on a daily basis to something you don't like.
    c) Working through a pandemic is hard enough without listening to something you don't like.
    d) ?

a) Thank You For Your Service
    b) Maybe some people like listening to something they don't like to reinforce why they don't like it - have you considered that? Also, my post contained many other options
    c) doesn't actually require any further explanation if you read what I said
    d) there are many reasons people would listen, I can't obviously list them all

Why does it bother you why anyone would listen? It really shouldn't.

And if you complained without listening then that would be mental.

Well with respect, that accusation is frequently thrown about by defenders of various presenters on the Radio Thread.

a) Thank You For Your Service
    b) Maybe some people like listening to something they don't like to reinforce why they don't like it - have you considered that? Also, my post contained many other options
    c) doesn't actually require any further explanation if you read what I said
    d) there are many reasons people would listen, I can't obviously list them all

Why does it bother you why anyone would listen? It really shouldn't.

Doesn't bother me, just find it curious.
    Good luck.

Doesn't bother me, just find it curious.
    Good luck.

Your posts suggest otherwise, but ok.

500k per year is a very expensive price for gentle background noise. Would you pay him that?

Do you not find the daily COVID sermons patronising?

Not really tbh, different strokes. Its definitely better than some of the other DJs who just shout at me.

And regarding the payment, the question isn't is it worth 500k to me. I'd pay about €2 a month for it. I.e. ~€25 a year. Only need 19999 similar people to get to €500k.

Given about 300,000 people listen to the show (https://www.thejournal.ie/marian-tubridy-jnlrs-4865298-Oct2019/) the numbers add up quickly. And that's before you count all the people who do like the Late Late. (I'm really not one of them)

Edit: Corrected my maths! point still stands though.

Your posts suggest otherwise, but ok.

Maybe some people like posting about something that doesn't bother them to reinforce why it doesn't bother them- have you considered that?

Not really tbh, different strokes. Its definitely better than some of the other DJs who just shout at me.

And regarding the payment, the question isn't is it worth 500k to me. I'd pay about €2 a month for it. I.e. ~€25 a year. Only need 1999 similar people to get to €500k.

Given about 300,000 people listen to the show (https://www.thejournal.ie/marian-tubridy-jnlrs-4865298-Oct2019/) the numbers add up quickly. And that's before you count all the people who do like the Late Late. (I'm really not one of them)

2000 people paying 25 euro per year equals 50,000 euros, not 500,000 euros.

I would guess that the vast majority of licence fee payers would not agree to paying this person 500,000 euros per year for the work he does if given the choice. Especially since RTE is in such financial difficulty.

Even if you did find 2000 people who think he is worth 500k, you would most certainly find many multiples of that number who do not think he is worth a cent of it.

Maybe some people like posting about something that doesn't bother them to reinforce why it doesn't bother them- have you considered that?

Maybe some people like replying to posts about people posting about something that doesn't bother them to reinforce why it doesn't bother them- have you considered that?

2000 people paying 25 euro per year equals 50,000 euros, not 500,000 euros.

I would guess that the vast majority of licence fee payers would not agree to paying this person 500,000 euros per year for the work he does if given the choice. Especially since RTE is in such financial difficulty.

Even if you did find 2000 people who think he is worth 500k, you would most certainly find many multiples of that number who do not think he is worth a cent of it.

Fair correction on the sums! :eek::eek::o:o
    I still think the argument holds, you're only asking <10% of listenership to pay a small fee. Not everyone who listens hates it surely? Life is too short I would hope.

anyway, i'm not RTE's CFO so I don't care how they apportion their money. I pay 160 TV licence a year and on balance my family get enough enjoyment out of the RTE suite over the year to feel comfortable with that spend.

• Advertisement

Fair correction on the sums! :eek::eek::o:o

you just another 18,000 people and you're grand :D (joking!)

anyway, i'm not RTE's CFO so I don't care how they apportion their money. I pay 160 TV licence a year and on balance my family get enough enjoyment out of the RTE suite over the year to feel comfortable with that spend.

Regardless of your overall enjoyment of RTE, they could be doing more with your money. And they are obliged to invest your money as best as possible.

Tubridy represents a general mismanagement of funds . He should be paid a normal wage and reinvest the rest of the cash elsewhere in RTE.

We're talking about a fella who puts in very few hours and is making major cash privately off the back of his the brand he is building through the public service broadcaster (and then there are the widely denounced income tax schemes that he participates in while urging his listeners to keep money in the country by shopping local).

IMO it's crazy to suggest that it's ok to pay this guy 500 grand per year out of the public pocket.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement