Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

sligojoek wrote: »
    No .

Jennifer O’Brien writes:

In October, Ryan Tubridy issued an impassioned call-out for local small-to-medium sized Irish businesses to get in touch

Tomorrow, The Late Late Show will be dedicated to promoting Irish businesses across various sectors who have had to close their doors and adapt accordingly to survive.

Singer Niall Horan will speak to Ryan about how the music industry has been affected by Covid shutdowns…

Deirdre O’Kane, will discuss changes in the comedy scene…

And experts including Diarmuid Gavin, Anna Geary, Kevin Dundon, and Roisin Murphy will showcase some of their favourite businesses…

Inotherwords, The Noel Kelly Show

Somehow at some stage I must have clicked something that has RSVP posting notifications on my screen. This just popped up:

https://www.rsvplive.ie/news/celebs/rtes-ryan-tubridy-confirms-date-22967817

"The vaccine is coming" according to Tubs in the video in the link above. Nothing irresponsible there in that comment at all is there?

My consultant yesterday (most accurate trustworthy, well-read, doctor I have ever personally encountered & I've been with too many of them for my liking) said that there is very little doubt at this point that a vaccine will be in distribution in 2021. He also reassured me that I had very little risk of re-catching it or being a vector , knowing that I am not the type to let down my guard. I've an 89 year old aunt and when restrictions are relaxed enough he was assuring me that with normal precautions I was highly unlikely to be a factor in the possibility of her catching it. Even though I was never tested at the time I caught the moderately severe Covid-like illness, he said the 82% SP02 recorded on my oximeter and entire picture, together with a recent X-ray picture of typical resolving Covid lung is enough for him to clinically diagnose that I had Covid and add it to my official medical record. But he is further ruling out any other factors with other tests.

With very good reason I would honestly trust his word (not Ryan's) that a Covid vaccine is not far off, but will not be posting it in any Covid thread because they are definitely not the place for anecdotes like that. I just like to share with typical posters here the hope that was shared with me, there's so much despair around this.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

My consultant yesterday (most accurate trustworthy, well-read, doctor I have ever personally encountered & I've been with too many of them for my liking) said that there is very little doubt at this point that a vaccine will be in distribution in 2021. He also reassured me that I had very little risk of re-catching it or being a vector , knowing that I am not the type to let down my guard. I've an 89 year old aunt and when restrictions are relaxed enough he was assuring me that with normal precautions I was highly unlikely to be a factor in the possibility of her catching it. Even though I was never tested at the time I caught the moderately severe Covid-like illness, he said the 82% SP02 recorded on my oximeter and entire picture, together with a recent X-ray picture of typical resolving Covid lung is enough for him to clinically diagnose that I had Covid and add it to my official medical record. But he is further ruling out any other factors with other tests.

With very good reason I would honestly trust his word (not Ryan's) that a Covid vaccine is not far off, but will not be posting it in any Covid thread because they are definitely not the place for anecdotes like that. I just like to share with typical posters here the hope that was shared with me, there's so much despair around this.

I've hard similar, but my point is that Mr. Tubridy should not be commenting and offering hope like this when he really is not in any position to authoritatively do so. And let's not forget he's been doing this for months.

Aside from the approval of a vaccine, there will be many, many logistical issues around production of same, time to market, etc. which will take months even if people jump on it. It's not as simple (and I know you're not implying this) as Vaccine available feb 1 and everyone vaccinated by the end on the week as some seem to think. Tubs has completely oversimplfied this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,784 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Experts on self-promotion from the Noel Kelly Agency?

Jayus never heard of that agency before, anyone in the media or wannabe media seems to be on it.

Female talent list from Noel Kelly:

https://www.nkmanagement.ie/female.html

Lottie Ryan, Catriona Perry, Kathryn Thomas, Anna Geary, even Nancy Ashmawy - Baz's mother! To name but a few.

I am genuinely shocked, that is how naïve I was.

RTE/Virgin Media must have Noel Kelly on speed dial and a special hotline to him.

I feel sick now and need to lie down! It is all one merry go round.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I've hard similar, but my point is that Mr. Tubridy should not be commenting and offering hope like this when he really is not in any position to authoritatively do so. And let's not forget he's been doing this for months.

Aside from the approval of a vaccine, there will be many, many logistical issues around production of same, time to market, etc. which will take months even if people jump on it. It's not as simple (and I know you're not implying this) as Vaccine available feb 1 and everyone vaccinated by the end on the week as some seem to think. Tubs has completely oversimplfied this.

Oh yes indeed, it will be a whole new sh1tshow, no doubt, distribution, who gets it first, etc etc etc. In the flu vaccine thread posters most recently have been saying that their pharmacy informed them that without either being over 65 or having a Medical Card you cannot now get the vaccine. Somebody with a transplant, under 75 and sans medical card, could not get it. Madness the way our system works.

• Advertisement

Jayus never heard of that agency before, anyone in the media or wannabe media seems to be on it.

Lottie Ryan, Catriona Perry, Kathryn Thomas, Anna Geary, even Nancy Ashmawy - Baz's mother! To name but a few.

RTE/Virgin Media must have Noel Kelly on speed dial and a special hotline to him.

To have a middleman taking his cut from the public purse seems obscene really. Why contracts cannot be negotiated directly with individuals, who have recourse to a lawyer in case of any dispute resolution, I don't know, except NK knows the going rates, and has a team to look after their publicity and do the paperwork etc. But, I ask, how do you get on NK's team of talent? Can somebody who has a real gift for radio/presentation, having done their bit on community radio etc, phone up Noel and ask to sign up? What are the credentials he asks for? What is the process? Is it transparent in any way?

To have a middleman taking his cut from the public purse seems obscene really. Why contracts cannot be negotiated directly with individuals, who have recourse to a lawyer in case of any dispute resolution, I don't know, except NK knows the going rates, and has a team to look after their publicity and do the paperwork etc. But, I ask, how do you get on NK's team of talent? Can somebody who has a real gift for radio/presentation, having done their bit on community radio etc, phone up Noel and ask to sign up? What are the credentials he asks for? What is the process? Is it transparent in any way?

Most this went through my head when I saw the website. Seems like handy money for a chosen few 10%/15% of fees for "management". Lottie Ryan, Baz and Baz's mother are on the books so I think that should say it all about 'talent'. It seems to be mostly who you know that much is clear.

Plus, Ryan Tubridy is first on the list of male presenters so it is very relevant to this thread.

https://www.nkmanagement.ie/male.html

What worries me is not that all these people have an agency, but it is the same management agency. Surely it leads to monopolisation and conflict of interests?

Also the poster who questioned Anna Geary's expertise - it is OK because she also listed on Noel Kelly's webpage where his stable of 'experts' is listed.

https://www.nkmanagement.ie/experts.html

How have you not heard of Noel? He's been talked about on most of the radio threads for YEARS!!!!!

How have you not heard of Noel? He's been talked about on most of the radio threads for YEARS!!!!!

I have a tendency to ignore most of that type of noise. Maybe I better off being blissfully ignorant!?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Andy McAnally, son of Aonghus, well established on the merry go round as a client services director no less for NK. Would love to know how many of his clients are on tonight's Late Late and what RTE pay every year for his services given they are a financial basket case

• Advertisement

amlinopta wrote: »
    Andy McAnally, son of Aonghus, well established on the merry go round as a client services director no less for NK. Would love to know how many of his clients are on tonight's Late Late and what RTE pay every year for his services given they are a financial basket case

Whatever it is, it’s too much!

amlinopta wrote: »

EXCUSE YOU!
    He got that job on merit and not because of who he's related to! He beat off stiff competition in an open and transparent process I'm sure....ish.

giphy.gif

I’m frankly surprised that everyone involved doesn’t have twelve fingers and twelve toes, the amount of inbreeding that’s going on

An old but insightful article about NK and how he chooses his clients.

https://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/why-rte-stars-call-noel-kelly-the-godfather-26793708.html

Basically one privately owned monopoly controls a big slice of RTÉ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

a vaccine will be in distribution in 2021.

I think at this stage this this is literally the whole point of this COVID exercise. When this vaccine is made mandatory next year, I wont be taking it and I genuinely wonder what the consequences will be. :(

I wonder will those hurt by the COVID vaccine have to fight for eleven years like those that were injured by the Swine Flu Vaccine. https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2020/1104/1175953-vaccine-case/

Funnily, the HSE's greatest critic Joe Duffy seemingly "has not had any calls" on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The vaccine won't be mandatory.

I think at this stage this this is literally the whole point of this COVID exercise. When this vaccine is made mandatory next year, I wont be taking it and I genuinely wonder what the consequences will be. :(

I wonder will those hurt by the COVID vaccine have to fight for eleven years like those that were injured by the Swine Flu Vaccine. https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2020/1104/1175953-vaccine-case/

Funnily, the HSE's greatest critic Joe Duffy seemingly "has not had any calls" on this issue.

Any vaccine at all can cause rare immune reactions, seemingly more especially in the young. It is very rare indeed, but of course quite devastating. Most folk over 30 who have survived previous vaccines without issue will not react badly to new vaccines.

I've been quite compromised in my health since March, to the extent that were I not already retired, I would effectively have ceased to be able to earn. It is only since the other day that a consultant has informed me a recent X-ray shows continued damage typical of a post-Covid picture of the so-called "long Covid" that has rendered me very breathless with the effort I would have required to do my job when I was working. I had put it down purely to worsened, previously very mild Insignificant, asthma. There's some fluid in the pleura limiting my lung capacity, along with old resolving small area of fibrosis. That will all resolve, it didn't devastate my quiet life, but in a younger working active person it could take a year of more out of their lives and count as a significant disability. Some folk with SARS 1 took a few years for this kind of issue to resolve.

I've had influenzas perhaps 6 times in my life, serious bacterial pneumonia a couple of times, all have resolved in a few weeks completely. So I wouldn't compare Covid with others now that I realise what has been causing my breathing issues.

Bloody new mink-human coronavirus in Denmark on the news, that's all we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,498 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Bloody new mink-human coronavirus in Denmark on the news, that's all we need.

Get measured for yer coat now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Get measured for yer coat now...

A mahogany crombie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,498 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

A mahogany crombie?

:D

Aah heee-yur Cut price mink.

Fcukker market will be flooded.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f296b0c72cdf8800915c858a321043492e0a65ed8ad&rid=giphy.gif

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29d7405841c1aedc5f6eb98daef328923c3127a839&rid=giphy.gif

Jumping Jimminy Crickets the BoyMan will be back this morning and no doubt more hyper than ever as the countdown to the Toy Show begins in earnest. Except lots of nasty comments towards departing Donald - exactly what you’d expect from the self-styled King of Kindness.

Signing off on Morning Ireland there a female voice (I can't recall exactly which one it was) said:

"the show is available online now if you want to listen back to it -and why wouldn't you?" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

A week off...just because ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Pretentious clown.

"Don't diss the Trump people". Ryan, you better have a word for every other presenter of every other RTE show.

Frogs in his throat. Something must have gone down the wrong way so to speak.
    Thanks to Oliver Callan - we might be calling on him again sooner than you think - in other words - MORE HOLIDAYS INCOMING!
    Took the week off to chill - those 8 hours a week really catch up with you.
    "I'm like a mad media mogul!"
    "I was feasting on Americanca and history!"
    Deranged laughter.
    Over-emphasised THAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Tubs is the kind of fella who goes to Nu Yark for a weekend and comes back speaking like a docker from the lower east side

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Joseph is the real deal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement