Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

Continuing PieOhMy's sterling service:

So that's recently:
    Unknown volume of free books
    Free bespoke jewellery x 2
    Free essential oils for mask
    Free buns from bewleys
    Free trip on the navy ship
    Free 8 Glasses cases
    Free accessory for vinyl record player
    Free flowers
    Yop Fruit of the Forest and Yakult
    Holland and figges supply
    Free Calm App
    Free Scents of Ireland commercial air diffuser and scents
    Epicurean Delights (i.e. Grub)
    Watercolour
    Candles
    A book about Elvis' comeback in 68
    Waterford Famine Buke
    Free pints
    Free sweets from shandans
    Free loose leaf tea
    Free bread knives
    Free candles possibly wickless candles
    Free teapot
    Free vinyl (Beatles/McCarthy)
    Tea brack
    Cards
    More cards (rejected - Catholics need not apply)
    Free halloween masks
    Free Cufflinks
    Free fudge
    Free Southern Star newspaper
    Free Opinion magazine
    Freebie print from book (gorgeous, apparently)
    Free crisps and earplugs
    Free greetings cards
    Free Beatles book
    Free bottle with fairy lights
    Free Hot Chocolate Bomb
    Free Personalised Christmas Stocking
    Free Novelty Mug
    Free Handmade Scarf (moss green in colour, and long)

A big TYFYS to those who flag what I miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Do you remember (not long back) when he mentioned that he called into a pharmacy to buy sanitiser and the girl behind the counter took off her masked and asked him for an unmasked selfie and he refused. Letting us know how much of a celebrity he is, and ensuring girl would likely have got due reprimand from pharmacist later, as she would have likely have excitedly told them about the famous customer calling by, then to hear what happened as told by Ryan on the radio, and verifiable by CCTV recording.

Of course if it ever happened at all.

Well according to Bryan he gets stopped by random members of the public all the time asking for selfies, autographs, and just to tell him how totes amazeballs he is and how The Late Late Toy Show is the TV highlight of the year for their particular family etc. etc.

Well according to Bryan he gets stopped by random members of the public all the time asking for selfies, autographs, and just to tell him how totes amazeballs he is and how The Late Late Toy Show is the TV highlight of the year for their particular family etc. etc.

Must be hard to live the high celebrity life in Ireland, persecuted non-stop by randomers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Must be hard to live the high celebrity life in Ireland, persecuted non-stop by randomers.

Yet real celebrities;) come to Ireland because they can wander down the busiest streets,go into packed pubs and restaurants,yet nobody bothers them . The mind boggles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

So that's recently:
    Free buns from bewleys
    Free 8 Glasses cases
    Free flowers
    Free Calm App
    Watercolour
    Candles
    Waterford Famine Buke
    Free pints
    Free loose leaf tea
    Free bread knives
    Free teapot
    Tea brack
    Cards
    Free halloween masks
    Free Cufflinks
    Free fudge
    Free Opinion magazine
    Free crisps and earplugs
    Free greetings cards
    Free Beatles book
    Free Hot Chocolate Bomb
    Free Novelty Mug

Free jam tomorrow also.

• Advertisement

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29ae7d3bd26a61058c463e872588d91bc3a146f057&rid=giphy.gif

If you were filling Ryan's stocking this year what would you put in it? (Suggestions within the bounds of decency)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

So that's recently:
    Free buns from bewleys
    Free 8 Glasses cases
    Free flowers
    Free Calm App
    Watercolour
    Candles
    Waterford Famine Buke
    Free pints
    Free loose leaf tea
    Free bread knives
    Free teapot
    Tea brack
    Cards
    Free halloween masks
    Free Cufflinks
    Free fudge
    Free Opinion magazine
    Free crisps and earplugs
    Free greetings cards
    Free Beatles book
    Free Hot Chocolate Bomb
    Free Novelty Mug

Happy to see this continue. It's an embarrassment of riches. Not that thered be any shame in Montrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Happy to see this continue. It's an embarrassment of riches. Not that thered be any shame in Montrose.

This goes on throughout RTE, and he's the only one flagging it. He's just too thick/detached to realise that he's making a noose for himself.

No doubt someone will trawl through here in due course, and the freebies (and consequent plugs) will fade away.

This goes on throughout RTE, and he's the only one flagging it. He's just too thick/detached to realise that he's making a noose for himself.

No doubt someone will trawl through here in due course, and the freebies (and consequent plugs) will fade away.

I'm 50:50 it it's of hubris the freebies get mentioned or if it's to encourage others to send more stuff in. I suspect the latter. I know in my office gifts have to be declared and given ti charity or else raffled off centrally.

Also I would guess Tubridys childhood was more similar to a boy in Eton in the UK than what most people in Ireland experienced. Not saying that's a bad thing or anything.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    I'm 50:50 it it's of hubris the freebies get mentioned or if it's to encourage others to send more stuff in. I suspect the latter. I know in my office gifts have to be declared and given ti charity or else raffled off centrally.

Also I would guess Tubridys childhood was more similar to a boy in Eton in the UK than what most people in Ireland experienced. Not saying that's a bad thing or anything.

Blackrock College, where my Dad went. Put it this way, my father had "pull" in Blackrock many many decades after he left in that he could give somebody a successful reference to get a place as a pupil or staff member. The old school tie and that.

• Advertisement

It seems he is sent the items with the implicit promise that he will "infotise" them on his show. Everything on the show seems to have a commercial basis, I say this many times, but his book peddling is entirely commercially based and almost never mentions the public libraries as a reading resource (unlike others in RTE are happy to do) unless he is forced to by a listener texting in to remind him. It turned out at one point he had no idea in the world how the procedure of becoming a library member goes, never even glanced at the Libraries Ireland or his local libraries websites to take in a few basics. I am especially surprised as the library service puts on big efforts to especially promote children's reading, catering for special needs and all categories of books, reading events, staff expertise etc. And the library service focuses on history exhibitions and talks for adults, should be like a magnet to him. If not himself personally? He should be enthusiastic enough to promote it for his listeners who might not realise the FREE resource of ENDLESS reading material the library service is.

By contrast Joe Duffy has always been a good user of the library service, from book lending to using the historical resources and archives.

Incidentally if the argument popularly goes that only poorer sort of people use the library services, this is quite untrue. Lots of other RTÉ presenters make good use of the library services because of the vast array of reading material that can exchange quickly they don't have to accumulate forever on their own shelves. The biggest readers are those who tend to use the public library service.

That's why Ryan doesn't ring true as the reader he portrays himself as being. Lots of Fake News between 9 and 10am weekdays on Radio 1

Poor Bryan obviously didn’t get enough rest during his week off last week and has to take another day off today AFTER 4 HOURS WORK this week.

I need a job in RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Poor Bryan obviously didn’t get enough rest during his week off last week and has to take another day off today AFTER 4 HOURS WORK this week.

I need a job in RTÉ.
    ah but whatabout all the research and those free gifts don't put themselves away

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

Taffin with Bella from Fair City

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

More texters crying.

sligojoek wrote: »
    More texters crying.
    it must be the grub in the RTE canteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Cancer

CLICK.

dvcireland wrote: »
    Taffin with Bella from Fair City

WHOY was Taffin mentioned?

This is all I think of when I think of Taffin:

Pretty lady in that clip. I probably can't say that anymore....not very #woke. Boards.ie's Official Wokeness Co-Ordinator & Adjudicator sligojoek is online I see - can you advise please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Two dead dads in one segment. And Tubs is missing it. Jesus, he won't like THAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,498 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

WHOY was Taffin mentioned?

This is all I think of when I think of Taffin:

Pretty lady in that clip. I probably can't say that anymore....not very #woke. Boards.ie's Official Wokeness Co-Ordinator & Adjudicator sligojoek is online I see - can you advise please?

Won’t reply Butthers.... annoyed that Creedo is off for the week.

Missing auld turnip head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Vorophobe

Who was that hosting the Ryan Tubridy show this morning while Ryan is away? I didn't catch his name

Vorophobe wrote: »
    Who was that hosting the Ryan Tubridy show this morning while Ryan is away? I didn't catch his name

I didn't hear the show but they said on Morning Ireland that Oliver Callan was in for Bryan today.

Taffin got a mention for the famous maybe you shouldnt be living here clip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

He must be at at home psyching himself up for his interview with Conan O'Brien.

Remember the advice Jonah Hill gave you, Ryan - don't be nervous!

He must be at at home psyching himself up for his interview with Conan O'Brien.

Remember the advice Jonah Hill gave you, Ryan - don't be nervous!

Wait? WTF? Conan is going to be on TLLS? OMG, that would be like one of the lads on the local 5 a side team playing with Ronaldo.

I love Conan, huge fan. Been to his show in person loads of times. I'm not sure I could tolerate seeing him entertain the idiot though.

Could you ever imagine Tubs doing something like this:

I suspect Ryan is doing a zoom interview with the BBC

Except it turns out to be the Belfast Boat Club. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Wait? WTF? Conan is going to be on TLLS? OMG, that would be like one of the lads on the local 5 a side team playing with Ronaldo.

I love Conan, huge fan. Been to his show in person loads of times. I'm not sure I could tolerate seeing him entertain the idiot though.

Conan's on , along with Andrea Bocelli and Gabriel Byrne.

A star-studded affair !! Can't wait to hear whether or not all these international celebrities prefer Tayto or King :D

How'd you end up at Conan's show?

Conan's on , along with Andrea Bocelli and Gabriel Byrne.

A star-studded affair !! Can't wait to hear whether or not all these international celebrities prefer Tayto or King :D

How'd you end up at Conan's show?

I'd been watching Conan for years on MSNBC and various other channels so just searched how to get tickets.

When Conan did The Tonight Show it was recorded mid-afternoon in NBC Studios in Rockefeller Centre in NY. You could apply for tickets in advance (like months in advance) on the phone and it was first come, first served. Because I was always travelling I'd know my dates way in advance whereas most of the audience were Yanks who'd turn up on the day - that's the other option. After the allocated tickets were given out, you could just chance your arm and turn up on the day in the hope of getting in.

Between the two options I'd say I was at somewhere between 12-20 Conan tapings, front row for almost all of them. Good times. They used to give you a "Conan Audience Member T Shirt" back in (from memory) 2004-2008 times as you left but stopped doing that in more recent years. Still have a few of those T shirts around the house. It's pot luck on the day though as to who the guests are, that's never advertised.

He came out beforehand one time and did some interaction with the crowd like "where are you all from?" etc. I interacted a few times. He asked who came from the furthest away. When i said "Ireland" he latched onto that as the rest were yanks. He asked me my name, why I was there etc. Then asked me was "Conan a common name in Ireland". I said "not as common as O'Brien". He told me I was a smart ass. Naturally, I was delighted. :pac:

I've been to recordings of SNL, Fallon, and Jon Stewart too. Conan was and remains my favourite though. I honestly don't know if I can watch tonight.

I was at a recording myself in L.A. It was some experience ! I also enjoy his podcast which shows a more thoughtful side of his interviewing skills but is also funny. I really think as a broadcaster Conan is top of the list of heavyweights.

As such I wont watch him tonight as I think I'll just be too frustrated and embarrassed on Tubridys behalf. It is a bolted on FACT that Conans Irish connections will be brought up. The biggest most boring cliche for one of the best broadcasters going. Embarrassing.

• Advertisement

Proposal for cost cutting measure to add to the list of cost cutting measures not taken by rte -

Send the following template to interviewees and have them email back their responses or record them on a WhatsApp voice note and just play them over a picture of them on screen.
    Immediately this plan will massively reduce production costs on the late late and produce essentially the same results as what currently happens every week.

1. So this isnt your first time in Ireland? You have Irish connections? Tell us about what makes Ireland so great.
    2. That was some year you guys had over there with the election, what do you think of Trump/Biden?
    3. That was some year you guys had over there with the Covid, how are you / your industry coping?
    4. I understand you have had a difficult time lately with your (family member) being sick with (illness), that must be so hard for you?
    5. So your book/tv show/movie is out next week, tell us about it?

*if required play recordings of insincere lauging and banging the desk.

Have I ommitted anything?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement