Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

I'd been watching Conan for years on MSNBC and various other channels so just searched how to get tickets.

When Conan did The Tonight Show it was recorded mid-afternoon in NBC Studios in Rockefeller Centre in NY. You could apply for tickets in advance (like months in advance) on the phone and it was first come, first served. Because I was always travelling I'd know my dates way in advance whereas most of the audience were Yanks who'd turn up on the day - that's the other option. After the allocated tickets were given out, you could just chance your arm and turn up on the day in the hope of getting in.

Between the two options I'd say I was at somewhere between 12-20 Conan tapings, front row for almost all of them. Good times. They used to give you a "Conan Audience Member T Shirt" back in (from memory) 2004-2008 times as you left but stopped doing that in more recent years. Still have a few of those T shirts around the house. It's pot luck on the day though as to who the guests are, that's never advertised.

He came out beforehand one time and did some interaction with the crowd like "where are you all from?" etc. I interacted a few times. He asked who came from the furthest away. When i said "Ireland" he latched onto that as the rest were yanks. He asked me my name, why I was there etc. Then asked me was "Conan a common name in Ireland". I said "not as common as O'Brien". He told me I was a smart ass. Naturally, I was delighted. :pac:

I've been to recordings of SNL, Fallon, and Jon Stewart too. Conan was and remains my favourite though. I honestly don't know if I can watch tonight.

How did you lose da plumb job in RTÉ, caller, when life was lovely? ;)

The RTE news, a bastion of facts and truth, has just turned into an advertising trailer for the LL Toy Show.

Heaven hello us, there’s two weeks of this sh1te to get through

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It appears that the Toy Show has now been granted the honour of the most important thing of the year for Rte.

Every employee has to talk about it, get excited about it, love it.

Probably in their contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I can’t watch it tonight, but this is going to be like Fungus McAnally playing guitar with BB King. One a legend and master of the medium, and the other a fuppin’ eejit to think he should be on the same screen at the same time as the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

I can’t watch it tonight, but this is going to be like Fungus McAnally playing guitar with BB King. One a legend and master of the medium, and the other a fuppin’ eejit to think he should be on the same screen at the same time as the other.

I agree in principle, but even mentioning Tubridy in the same sentence as Aonghus is too much of a compliment for the DLB. It's high time we got a petition together to stop RTE pissing MY money away on his ridiculous salary. I'd be happy for Callan to receive a few bob to continue on his morning slot and for the LLS to fade into history, as it should have done when Gaybo drove away on his Harley. I hope Conan doesn't share the encounter and embarrass us all..

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Every employee has to talk about it, get excited about it, love it.

Otherwise 'milk the bejaysus out of it'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

I suspect Ryan is doing a zoom interview with the BBC

Except it turns out to be the Belfast Boat Club. :D

Is the Bould Mrs. Robinson still hanging around the slipway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

...Between the two options I'd say I was at somewhere between 12-20 Conan tapings, front row for almost all of them. Good times....

I've been to recordings of SNL, Fallon, and Jon Stewart too. Conan was and remains my favourite though. I honestly don't know if I can watch tonight.
    PieOhMy wrote: »
    I was at a recording myself in L.A. It was some experience ! .....

Deadly! Who were the best guests you saw?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Wait? WTF? Conan is going to be on TLLS? OMG, that would be like one of the lads on the local 5 a side team playing with Ronaldo.

I love Conan, huge fan. Been to his show in person loads of times. I'm not sure I could tolerate seeing him entertain the idiot though.

Could you ever imagine Tubs doing something like this:

I don't think much of Conan to be honest find his comedy very contrived and forced. Plus the hair annoys me.
    Always amazed how popular he is, and what a cult following he has.

For those reasons Tubs>Conan.
    Conan a bit of a hack imo, living off writing for the Simpsons decades ago.

In fairness I find all USA Late Night shows extremely forced and scripted to fcuk. Very plastic in nature.

I honestly think the Toy Show is the best thing Tubs does on the Late Late.
    > Gaybo > Pat Kenny when both did the Toy Show. He dives in fairness and makes an effort not afraid to look the eejit.

Don't watch the LL have not done in years. Watch the toy show though.
    Will probably switch channel when Conan comes on.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Deadly! Who were the best guests you saw?

Most bizarre was Edward Norton. He was cripplingly shy and very, very awkward. It was surreal, part of me wondered was he acting, but I’ve heard/read it’s not.

Famke Jansen was on one time and wow. She’s someone I’d normally go “yeah she’s not ugly but doesn’t really do anything for me” but in the flesh she was a simply stunning woman.

Think I saw pretty much the whole cast of Will & Grace over the course of a few years. Became a joke for me and the Mrs. that if we went to see Conan we’d see a Will & Grace cast member. Megan Mullally was very funny, the standout of the bunch.

Also saw Stiffler (Seann William Scott), who was absolutely hilarious in a completely self-aware and self-deprecating manner. Real “I can’t believe I’m famous but f*ck it I’m going to enjoy it” energy off him.

Lots of American comedians/SNL types who wouldn’t have been very famous here at the time. Jason Sudekis was the standout from that bunch.

Don’t know if you remember one of Conan’s sidekicks who used to do a lot of his sketches - Kayak guy being an example? He was to use a Tubridy-sun, “bonkers” in a good way. Laugh out loud funny. He did warm up routines a few times as well as a lot of stuff in the show.

A lot of the band interaction was very good too. This was when Max was the lead.

• Advertisement

I don't think much of Conan to be honest find his comedy very contrived and forced. Plus the hair annoys me.
    Always amazed how popular he is, and what a cult following he has.

For those reasons Tubs>Conan.
    Conan a bit of a hack imo, living off writing for the Simpsons decades ago.

In fairness I find all USA Late Night shows extremely forced and scripted to fcuk. Very plastic in nature.

I honestly think the Toy Show is the best thing Tubs does on the Late Late.
    > Gaybo > Pat Kenny when both did the Toy Show. He dives in fairness and makes an effort not afraid to look the eejit.

Don't watch the LL have not done in years. Watch the toy show though.
    Will probably switch channel when Conan comes on.

Don’t know if you’re taking the p*ss or not but you’re entitled to your opinion and at least you have presented your reasoning. Comedy is subjective, not everyone likes the same thing. As we can see from Mrs. Browinz Boyiz......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Conan and Craig Ferguson (less his stupid robot or whatever it was) would be my pick since Carson.

Letterman and Leno both rubbish.

The less said about Fallon and Kimmel the better-pontificating politically biased twats-I wonder where Turdbuddy gets it?

Johnny was a lifelong leftie, when he wasn't chasing pre nups. In thirty years on TV he never once let it show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

Tubridy had a Tuck Shop at his school.

Enid Blytonesque

• Registered Users Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Tubridy had a Tuck Shop at his school.

Enid Blytonesque

oi..giz uz your finger of fudge

hqdefault.jpg

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amlinopta

A hectic week in Tubsville, as he called it. Off to the post office to buy stamps on his morning off on Friday. It’s all go at the moment. €500k

The irony of it, Ryan tells us about he walk down Dún Laoghaire pier listening to a podcast of Callans Kicks and laughing his head off, then a few moments later goes on about people going around with their headphones in. Hypocritical, what!

amlinopta wrote: »
    A hectic week in Tubsville, as he called it. Off to the post office to buy stamps on his morning off on Friday. It’s all go at the moment. €500k

Don't forget the colour of the sweet wrappings.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rocky1813

Free handmade Christmas cards.

And oddly an email had already come in to comment about some encounter he had not yet told us about. Fake news.

• Advertisement

He's a fan of the post office.

It reminds him of the Buildings and Loan from It's a Wonderful Life.

Vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

ugh, i cant. over to pat for a bit

The Merry Adventures of the Man of Leisure.

Doing his rounds in Dun Laoghaire, having gorgeous chats with old people and charming anyone who is lucky enough to cross his path.

Any chance of a free trip to Iceland for Ryan? He's always hinting. Quite the expensive place. And when he'd be there he'd arrive back with plenty of cosy winter woollens knitted from Icelandic sheep wool.

It was the only time Iceland was affordable.

Any chance of a free trip to Iceland for Ryan? He's always hinting. Quite the expensive place. And when he'd be there he'd arrive back with plenty of cosy winter woollens knitted from Icelandic sheep wool.

Coming to RTE 1 TV in 2021 - Bryan Turdriddy's Guide to Post-lockdown Iceland!. A six part travel show where Bryan meets some Icelandic authors, stays in 5 star hotels, eats sweets, and asks them why they don't show The Toy Show on Icelandic TV.

Ryan will be in first plane over to Iceland, will he visit the Penis Museum in Reykjavik?

Coming to RTE 1 TV in 2021 - Bryan Turdriddy's Guide to Post-lockdown Iceland!. A six part travel show where Bryan meets some Icelandic authors, stays in 5 star hotels, eats sweets, and asks them why they don't show The Toy Show on Icelandic TV.

There's only one 5 star hotel, caller, it's the Diamond Suites right out of the capital.

Ryan will be in first plane over to Iceland, will he visit the Penis Museum in Reykjavik?

He will in his bollocks!

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

There's only one 5 star hotel, caller.

Well that scuppers that idea then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement