Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

Didn't see all the LLS last night, but there was a notable absence of his usual Covid address to the nation. I wonder why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

In his opening sermon last night he was forced to go back on a few of his infamous promises to the nation

He admitted that Halloween had been cancelled after all, and that things are looking dodgy for Christmas too.

Which reminds me, last week he promised a caller that she would be definitely going on her foreign holiday in 2021.

"I promise you, you'll be there" were his words. The self-importance of such statements is just mental.

I suppose if he keeps promising people stuff, he'll be right at some point and then he can come back and say "sure didn't I promise you everything would be ok? You're welcome Ireland!"

The Toyman Show is described as the biggest television show of the year in this country...

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ryan-tubridy-late-late-toy-23049394

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29a56543bd1381aa6eeec32a4aec863998045c130d&rid=giphy.gif

Catmaniac's Cat showing exactly what he thinks of the Toyman

• Site Banned Posts: 6 PatchMcGinty

“Tune into tomorrow’s radio show where we find out which is lighter in the wind - me or a fiver”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

The Toyman Show is described as the biggest television show of the year in this country...

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ryan-tubridy-late-late-toy-23049394

Delusional tripe!

Free Christmas jumper
    Free Waterford Festive Star (a magazine)
    Free Holly Bough (a Cork annual)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

fairplay to RTE managing to go back in time and broadcast from the 1960s

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

Tubridy is remarkably late to the "Diana's Death Changed Everything About British Public Emotional Display" narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Nobody is naughty. Everybody is nice.

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    Nobody is naughty. Everybody is nice.

That'll be some comfort to the Party for Phil gang in Montrose.

Tubridy interviews a lady who tells him that she is finishing her temporary job on Friday.

Tubridy's response? "Will you be watching the Toy show that evening?"

Knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Not too many listening to Saint DLB this morning?

I dont blame ye, the c*nt is insufferable....especially leading into the Toy Shyte....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

I think the thread should be called The Tubridy Kindness Thread or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    I think the thread should be called The Tubridy Kindness Thread or something like that.

or...

bRyan Tubridy's Intriguingly Kind & Morbid Book Show Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Tubridy interviews a lady who tells him that she is finishing her temporary job on Friday.

Tubridy's response? "Will you be watching the Toy show that evening?"

Knob.

"No, Ryan, I was going to jump off a motorway bridge actually."

As a Moderator can you just change this thread title to the Tubridy Hatred Thread or something like that, because that's all this is and you are driving a lot of it.

Because you'll feature on the Toyshow this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

Ryan Tubridy broke down when he first saw The Late Late Toy Show set, saying that this year will be "bigger than normal".

The 47-year-old will host the annual spectacular this Friday and was overwhelmed when he saw it at first the set.

"I had a cry," he admits. "It's the first time in a while I had a real cry. I'd rather not tell you what it was that triggered it but it's safe to say that we are achieving something big this year with the Toy Show - bigger than normal."

"Which is quite an achievement when you consider how different this year's show is going to be compared to normal years.

"It is a logistical nightmare - there are technical aspects of this live programme that I will never understand. All I know is that I am front of house trying to pretend that I know what I am doing and trying to give the viewers at home something magical to feast their eyes on.

"I'm not sporty but I always use a sporting analogy to describe my role on the night of a Toy Show. I am the striker who hangs in the box and gets the ball laid on a plate for me to just poke it in for a goal. The team do all the hard work.

"This year, more than ever, we need this Toy Show. Kids deserve it after the year they've been through. Parents deserve it too. And I also hope that grandparents will tune in because they have missed out on so much too and a lot of them are alone. So this year's show is for them too."

Sensing he was drifting off into a flurry of deep and sensitive clichés, I stopped him in his tracks and asked him how he was going to appeal to grandparents.
    "I don't want to spoil all the surprises but when we did a call out for Irish kids living abroad to take part in the show this year - it wasn't just for talented kids and toy-testing kids.

"From Brighton to Boston to Brisbane there are children taking part this year who will blow you away. Let's just say that people like Granny McLaughlin in Monaghan will be getting some big surprises next Friday. There is a lot of heart in this year's show.

"From as early as March I was thinking about this show. And more recently when travel restrictions got ramped up it became clear that for the first time ever kids may not see some of their family this year.

"And that upsets me, and the team, and will upset you at home watching. But in the world of technology we will try our best to spring some surprises and bring people together as best we can.

"We have a few things filmed already and one piece hit me hard. You will need the tissues on the night. Trust me."

He continued: "Social distancing is the enemy of the Toy Show but we will prevail. There will be a virtual audience in the studio but other than that it will be me and the crew doing our best to create as much distraction from Covid as we can.

"I have had eight months practice of shouting down a camera but this show more than most relies on audience participation so I will definitely miss that. It won't be the same buzz I normally get but if we pull off what we are planning for the night itself I will be a very happy man.

"There will be prizes but not in the traditional sense. There are obviously no more 'there's one for everyone in the audience' and there will be celebrity appearances and toy testing and musical numbers. But things will be pared back in that sense. They have to be.

"So, our biggest challenge was making this big while being very small. And while we aren't finished yet, the plan is amazing and we think it will be the kind of programming that viewers deserve in these times from the national broadcaster."

Earlier on this year Ryan became one of the first big profile names to contract Covid-19 but he says he hasn't experienced any long-term effects since he was struck down.

"I got it bad, in truth. But not as bad as some people. I was kind of kidding myself in the beginning. I was in denial.

"I even hid my wheezing from my bosses when I made the calls. There were a lot of calls to make. I didn't want family hearing about it in the press first. So once the TV and radio people in RTÉ knew I then told my family.

"If any good can come from it, it is that I have been through it. I can empathise with people suffering from it. After a few weeks being back I spoke to the producers of my shows and I said we should avoid the 'numbers' and focus on the people so we got chatting to lots of people who have been seriously affected by it."

Another positive Ryan got out of Covid was that he received a huge amount of fan mail during that time. "The hand written cards, with immaculate penmanship, from listeners and viewers were lovely. They tend to be of a certain age if you know what I mean.

"They were all lovely, but I also got a lot of scribbled crayon drawings and messages from kids who thought the 'Toy Man' was really sick. That hit me harder.

"I have that role in so many kids' lives. I don't take it for granted and I make sure I do my best to ensure they get the little bit of escapism they deserve each year. My own girls are adults now so I miss that excitement and hysteria that you get from younger ones.

"You will all still get that feeling on next week's show. I just won't necessarily be in the same room as the kids this year.

"I won't be able to reach in and give any of the kids hugs if something goes wrong and they are thousands of miles away. I will just assure them that they are doing brilliantly and to try their best."

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/i-cried-when-i-saw-late-late-toy-show-set-ryan-tubridy-39778970.html

hawley wrote: »
    Ryan Tubridy broke down when he first saw The Late Late Toy Show set, saying that this year will be "bigger than normal".

The 47-year-old will host the annual spectacular this Friday and was overwhelmed when he saw it at first the set.

"I had a cry," he admits. "It's the first time in a while I had a real cry. I'd rather not tell you what it was that triggered it but it's safe to say that we are achieving something big this year with the Toy Show - bigger than normal."

"Which is quite an achievement when you consider how different this year's show is going to be compared to normal years.

"It is a logistical nightmare - there are technical aspects of this live programme that I will never understand. All I know is that I am front of house trying to pretend that I know what I am doing and trying to give the viewers at home something magical to feast their eyes on.

"I'm not sporty but I always use a sporting analogy to describe my role on the night of a Toy Show. I am the striker who hangs in the box and gets the ball laid on a plate for me to just poke it in for a goal. The team do all the hard work.

"This year, more than ever, we need this Toy Show. Kids deserve it after the year they've been through. Parents deserve it too. And I also hope that grandparents will tune in because they have missed out on so much too and a lot of them are alone. So this year's show is for them too."

Sensing he was drifting off into a flurry of deep and sensitive clichés, I stopped him in his tracks and asked him how he was going to appeal to grandparents.
    "I don't want to spoil all the surprises but when we did a call out for Irish kids living abroad to take part in the show this year - it wasn't just for talented kids and toy-testing kids.

"From Brighton to Boston to Brisbane there are children taking part this year who will blow you away. Let's just say that people like Granny McLaughlin in Monaghan will be getting some big surprises next Friday. There is a lot of heart in this year's show.

"From as early as March I was thinking about this show. And more recently when travel restrictions got ramped up it became clear that for the first time ever kids may not see some of their family this year.

"And that upsets me, and the team, and will upset you at home watching. But in the world of technology we will try our best to spring some surprises and bring people together as best we can.

"We have a few things filmed already and one piece hit me hard. You will need the tissues on the night. Trust me."

He continued: "Social distancing is the enemy of the Toy Show but we will prevail. There will be a virtual audience in the studio but other than that it will be me and the crew doing our best to create as much distraction from Covid as we can.

"I have had eight months practice of shouting down a camera but this show more than most relies on audience participation so I will definitely miss that. It won't be the same buzz I normally get but if we pull off what we are planning for the night itself I will be a very happy man.

"There will be prizes but not in the traditional sense. There are obviously no more 'there's one for everyone in the audience' and there will be celebrity appearances and toy testing and musical numbers. But things will be pared back in that sense. They have to be.

"So, our biggest challenge was making this big while being very small. And while we aren't finished yet, the plan is amazing and we think it will be the kind of programming that viewers deserve in these times from the national broadcaster."

Earlier on this year Ryan became one of the first big profile names to contract Covid-19 but he says he hasn't experienced any long-term effects since he was struck down.

"I got it bad, in truth. But not as bad as some people. I was kind of kidding myself in the beginning. I was in denial.

"I even hid my wheezing from my bosses when I made the calls. There were a lot of calls to make. I didn't want family hearing about it in the press first. So once the TV and radio people in RTÉ knew I then told my family.

"If any good can come from it, it is that I have been through it. I can empathise with people suffering from it. After a few weeks being back I spoke to the producers of my shows and I said we should avoid the 'numbers' and focus on the people so we got chatting to lots of people who have been seriously affected by it."

Another positive Ryan got out of Covid was that he received a huge amount of fan mail during that time. "The hand written cards, with immaculate penmanship, from listeners and viewers were lovely. They tend to be of a certain age if you know what I mean.

"They were all lovely, but I also got a lot of scribbled crayon drawings and messages from kids who thought the 'Toy Man' was really sick. That hit me harder.

"I have that role in so many kids' lives. I don't take it for granted and I make sure I do my best to ensure they get the little bit of escapism they deserve each year. My own girls are adults now so I miss that excitement and hysteria that you get from younger ones.

"You will all still get that feeling on next week's show. I just won't necessarily be in the same room as the kids this year.

"I won't be able to reach in and give any of the kids hugs if something goes wrong and they are thousands of miles away. I will just assure them that they are doing brilliantly and to try their best."

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/i-cried-when-i-saw-late-late-toy-show-set-ryan-tubridy-39778970.html

In the midst of that smorgasbord or Willy Wonka Factory of self congratulatory nonsense, one line jumped out:

"The hand written cards, with immaculate penmanship, from listeners and viewers were lovely." (emphasis mine).

WTAF????????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Firstly, This is a deviation from the original story that the dose he got was very mild. Maybe in a few weeks hel be saying he was actually at deaths door.....

Secondly, how many bosses did he have to ring? How many is a lot? 1 for radio and 1 for TV? How much are all these bosses on to create such misery and predictable drivel on a weekly basis?

Also he didnt want his family hear from the press he had it so he immediately rang the radio and TV before them (this is a joke- as I wouldnt like be accused of being a meanie or a Rotter or a bully or whatever)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭StevenToast

As a Moderator can you just change this thread title to the Tubridy Hatred Thread or something like that, because that's all this is and you are driving a lot of it.

Yes, maybe you could set up a new one yourself...

"The Ryan Tubridy Appreciation Thread"

He brings such joy to the hearts of every child in Ireland, he is so generous.

Magical, kind, warm, joyful Tubridy...the saviour of christmas...Irelands Hero.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

It stopped being a discussion about a radio programme a long time ago. It is personal, bordering on bullying at times and quite toxic.

If you speak out in favour of the presenter you are accused of (either in public or via PM):
    1. Being that presenter
    2. Being a producer for that presenter
    3. Working elsewhere in RTE
    4. Asked to divulge your interest in RTE/where you work

Members have even complained to mods about the above. If somebody then comes on with a similar view you are then accused of having multiple accounts.

From the Boards Radio Charter:
    "Yes, they have put themselves in a public position and should be open to criticism but we must insist that criticisms be directed toward the radio programme and their skills at producing that programme, not them personally and that those criticisms be made in a civil way

None of the mods are strongly pro- or anti- these shows or their presenters. We like a bitching session as much as the next man. However, this is not pub banter, comments are available for everyone to see, for the foreseeable future."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Yes, maybe you could set up a new one yourself...

"The Ryan Tubridy Appreciation Thread"

He brings such joy to the hearts of every child in Ireland, he is so generous.

Magical, kind, warm, joyful Tubridy...the saviour of christmas...Irelands Hero.

Could be a very busy thread actually if all the texters, letter writers and emailers to the show get involved

Ok folks, have moderated that situation, so to speak. Anybody else feeling like doing some backseat moderation will be likewise banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

More Music wrote: »
    It stopped being a discussion about a radio programme a long time ago. It is personal, bordering on bullying at times and quite toxic.

Like the way Ryan comments on some politician's hair, weight, skin colour? But thats not bullying to him. But if anyone said something similar about himself, they are obviously a troll.

Your criticism is probably fair since the Lottie Ryan thread disappeared, whilst the three wise men's on huge pay packets in rte are allowed to be mocked (which they should be) on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    Like the way Ryan comments on some politician's hair, weight, skin colour? But thats not bullying to him. But if anyone said something similar about himself, they are obviously a troll.

Your criticism is probably fair since the Lottie Ryan thread disappeared, whilst the three wise men's on huge pay packets in rte are allowed to be mocked (which they should be) on boards.

I would agree that a person's hair and skin colour has absolutey zero impact on their capacity to do a job. I didn't hear the piece you refer to, but if Ryan was suggesting something like that he is very wrong.

No idea about Lottie Ryan or that thread.

The "three wise men" should be (and are) open to criticism. They should expect it and be thick skinned enough given their earnings. But it does get very personal.

Continuing PieOhMy's sterling service:

So that's recently:
    Free Unknown volume of books
    Free bespoke jewellery x 2
    Free essential oils for mask
    Free buns from bewleys
    Free trip on the navy ship
    Free 8 Glasses cases
    Free accessory for vinyl record player
    Free flowers
    Free Yop, Fruit of the Forest and Yakult
    Free Holland and figges supply
    Free Calm App
    Free Scents of Ireland commercial air diffuser and scents
    Free Epicurean Delights (i.e. Grub)
    Free Watercolour
    Free Candles
    Free book about Elvis' comeback in 68
    Free Waterford Famine Buke
    Free pints
    Free sweets from shandans
    Free loose leaf tea
    Free bread knives
    Free candles possibly wickless candles
    Free teapot
    Free vinyl (Beatles/McCarthy)
    Free Tea brack
    Free Cards
    Free More cards (rejected - Catholics need not apply)
    Free halloween masks
    Free Cufflinks (monogrammed for Tubridy, of course)
    Free fudge
    Free Southern Star newspaper
    Free Opinion magazine
    Freebie print from book (gorgeous, apparently)
    Free crisps and earplugs
    Free greetings cards
    Free Beatles book
    Free bottle with fairy lights
    Free Hot Chocolate Bomb
    Free Personalised Christmas Stocking
    Free Novelty Mug
    Free Handmade Scarf (moss green in colour, and long)
    Free multiple handmade Christmas Cards
    Free John Banville Book (delivered personally to him while shopping)
    Free Barack Obama autobiography (extremely large and heavy)
    Free box of Lindt chocolates (only 8 in box, Tubs not happy)
    Free face mask from Chester Beatty
    Free books
    Free Paul McCartney poster
    Free Aerial photography coffee table book
    Free Christmas jumper
    Free Waterford Festive Star (a magazine)
    Free Holly Bough (a Cork annual)

A big TYFYS to those who flag the freebies.

More Music wrote: »

If you speak out in favour of the presenter you are accused of (either in public or via PM):
    1. Being that presenter
    2. Being a producer for that presenter
    3. Working elsewhere in RTE
    4. Asked to divulge your interest in RTE/where you work

Members have even complained to mods about the above. If somebody then comes on with a similar view you are then accused of having multiple accounts.

From the Boards Radio Charter:
    "Yes, they have put themselves in a public position and should be open to criticism but we must insist that criticisms be directed toward the radio programme and their skills at producing that programme, not them personally and that those criticisms be made in a civil way

None of the mods are strongly pro- or anti- these shows or their presenters. We like a bitching session as much as the next man. However, this is not pub banter, comments are available for everyone to see, for the foreseeable future."

Well fair play to Ryan.His listenership increased in the latest JNLR survey..He also gets people who hate him and the show to listen,and give a minute by minute account of whats happening on his show..Terry Wogan once said "They either like you,or they don't" ..Ryan is doing well to have the "don't like" tuning his way.

As a mod I will always say all opinions are welcome. But I cannot magic up positive opinions if there aren't that many. And I mean genuinely positive ones from folk who get positives out of the Ryan Tubridy show, not just people who are on to defend for the sake of defending. Comments that point out where the show has mean meaningful, not comments that are written simply to troll other posters.

Look broadly around the radio threads, and you will find many interesting discussions by people who both agree and disagree with what's on the show, the way it is presented, each other. I myself post mostly positively about the folk in RTÉ current affairs. I also like Darcy on the Den, and I like some of the stuff on his radio show. I would be critical of his pay, as with Duffy & Tubridy. Personally speaking I can find very little positive to say of either Tubridy or Duffy in terms of radio presentation. To me Ryan comes across as completely insincere, and that he is no longer managing to even "fake it" these days. I don't really think he is entirely enjoying it himself.

I think he is an able talker, but I think I might better enjoy seeing him present something like what he mentioned one time, a train travel show, or something niche like that. I just don't think the show is "doing it". I would like to see him travelling around Ireland in a fashion like Manchán Magan or John Creedon and giving his take on it. I think he has something better to offer outside the studio,

As for moderators, we are thin enough on the ground and do it on a purely voluntary basis. We are users of Boards too, and have opinions too. I snip quite a few negative comments, so what is seen here is actually a moderated version of opinions.

Personally I would be happy to see RTÉ brush up some of its entertainment area, and to cut down on the lashings of misery and what seems to be faux empathy that some presenters are obliged to adopt to keep up the sheer number of tales of woe that RTÉ seems to want imparted. I think it must be genuinely difficult for presenters to keep up with.

• Advertisement

Well fair play to Ryan.His listenership increased in the latest JNLR survey..He also gets people who hate him and the show to listen,and give a minute by minute account of whats happening on his show..Terry Wogan once said "They either like you,or they don't" ..Ryan is doing well to have the "don't like" tuning his way.

You always have to remember Ryan Tubridy is a shortish show sandwiched between RTE's eminent Morning Ireland show, and the Today show. As a retired person I would typically be making, eating and clearing up after breakfast during Ryan Tubridy, I don't bother turning the dial. And yes I do have a radio with far better sound than any else in the apartment with an old fashioned dial. The RTE news, which I like to listen to, comes on before and after the show too. As for Ryan's show itself, when there's not the misery slot on I find myself laughing at the Alan Partridge-like presentation. I enjoy laughter. It's just that I don't think that it's actually intended to be funny.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement