Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    ha ha, i turned on the radio for 5 minutes this morning.... it was mid way through the pipes of peace... and thought of you guys!!!!:D:D

after the song ended, he thanked all the lovely people for writing in and congratulating him about the late late toy show etc etc... then he went on to tell a story how he was doing a book reading for children in easons or somewhere.... I turned it off then...

so in that time he ticked the macca, letter writing, toy show, book reading & children boxes!!! :D:D

didnt stay around long enough for trump/jfk/history to make an appearance. :)

He also managed to cram in a Hilary right after the song. Fair enough, Hilary was someone who sent in a text to tell him how the song is more pertinent now than ever. I couldn't help but think that Hilary would be his go to fake lady texter name.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    so in that time he ticked the macca, letter writing, toy show, book reading & children boxes!!! :D:D

didnt stay around long enough for trump/jfk/history to make an appearance. :)

I got that covered.

I haven't heard much this week either but when I did briefly tune in he was saying to Dermot f*cking Bannon of all people: "you're a bit like Trump".

No, Tubridy. Dermot Bannon is not like Trump. Sh*t up now you strange little man. And what is going on with Bannon constantly being interviewed? It's just so bloody weird.

Was there any excuse given for Tubridy being off yesterday?
    He said he had some tv6work to do. Someone said tonight's LLS is pre recorded

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Baz? Jesus god help us!!

Bring back Dave Fanning. Far far better and a good taste in music!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

I think the way that Tubridy is allowed to start the week by self-reviewing his previous Friday night's work is a particularly unhealthy development and a complete conflict of interest for the national broadcaster. For example, the week after the toy show he announces that it is the highest watched show on the TV and about how great it was. Any time he feels he had a good night, he'll spend a good five minutes self promoting. However, after the Peter Casey interview, he was the ONLY person not talking about the show. It was as if the show never happened. Seems like he's okay to mention the show when it boosts the Tubridy brand but not when it brings any negative attention to him. He is permitted to set the narrative at the start of the week himself.

In a similar vein this week, he conveniently absented himself from the show when the RTE wages were on the front page so as not to have to bring negative attention on himself. The complete hypocrisy of the situation is the fact that he spends at least five to ten minutes a day with his childish impressions of Trump saying "fake news, fake news", when the truth is that Tubridy himself manipulates the media just as much as Trump does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Seriously, wtf do you expect from Tubridy/RTE at this stage? They think they are untouchable. They live in a bubble where they think they are important people and we, the lowly serfs, are fortunate to have them in our lives.

Now there are two ways to take RTE down a peg or two. One, take to the streets and demand change: the Irish media will condemn this because they are all on the same gravy train. Plus nobody cares enough outside a few message threads on this website.

Or

Start a weekly youtube review of RTE programming. Rip the piss out of it mercilessly, ridicule the presenters and show your outrage. Most of all make it funny and entertaining: but merciless. If you can entertain the people, your message will spread quickly and I'd guess RTE will do one of two things: try to shut it down, or else try to act like they are in on the joke. In that latter situation, you get even more merciless and refuse to engage with them in any way.

How hard would it be to launch an internet only show, with the comedians, actors and film-making graduates we have in this country, who will never get a look in the door at RTE, and are angry about it? They don't want talent in RTE, they want their friends and family, and to blow smoke up each others arses, to pay each other well, and to perpetuate their own importance.

The new media that is out there is a threat to RTE. It's also free, and anybody can use it. It is a weapon to be used against RTE, but somebody has to step up and do it. How hard would it be to ridicule Tubs, for example? Dress up like Sue Perkins, say how much you love JFK, sweeties, the Clintons, books, etc... have Tubs raving on about how much he loves literature, and then have a read learned author on, discussing classic literature that goes completely over Tubridy's head, and then watch him try to steer the conversation back to his comfort zone :pac: It's easy, seriously. Ripping the piss out of Joe Duffy, D'Arcy, Tubs, is like shooting fish in a barrel. They just have never faced a threat to their dominance and live in their little bubble where they think they are gods. The newspapers lick their holes too which doesn't help. Well we don't have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

One of my ideas would be to do a spoof of Nationwide and replace the background folksy picked guitar with heavy metal guitars. Keep the content exactly the same, all nicey-nice conversations with Mary Kennedy and local artisans, but make it look like the sound producer lost his mind :pac:

Start a weekly youtube review of RTE programming. Rip the piss out of it mercilessly, ridicule the presenters and show your outrage. Most of all make it funny and entertaining: but merciless. If you can entertain the people, your message will spread quickly and I'd guess RTE will do one of two things: try to shut it down, or else try to act like they are in on the joke. In that latter situation, you get even more merciless and refuse to engage with them in any way.

Funny you should mention that - I did upload a few videos a while back without any commentary or any comment (so as to let people make up their own minds) and RTE did pull a few of them. But it's certainly not a bad idea.

I guess the channel just has to be called ActingTheMaggot doesn't it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I guess the channel just has to be called ActingTheMaggot doesn't it. :(

Or 'peculiar and bonkers'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,494 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Sweet Jebus a Paul McCartney bore fest this morning.

What is it with these people in RTE who are 'obsessed' with these 'aging stars'

Children would be chided if they had that kind of obsession.

Only left it on to see how far the bullsh would go.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,630 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

“I think we’ll give Buble a little run-out.”

I think I will demolish my radio with one swift karate chop.

• Advertisement

“I think we’ll give Buble a little run-out.”

I think I will demolish my radio with one swift karate chop.

Noooo FedEx it over to me Mega, mine is buried under the back wheel of the car when Ferritter came on with his 'emotional' stuff after Tubridy went on for half an hour about Macca.

Are these guys children one would have to wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think the way that Tubridy is allowed to start the week by self-reviewing his previous Friday night's work is a particularly unhealthy development and a complete conflict of interest for the national broadcaster. For example, the week after the toy show he announces that it is the highest watched show on the TV and about how great it was. Any time he feels he had a good night, he'll spend a good five minutes self promoting. However, after the Peter Casey interview, he was the ONLY person not talking about the show. It was as if the show never happened. Seems like he's okay to mention the show when it boosts the Tubridy brand but not when it brings any negative attention to him. He is permitted to set the narrative at the start of the week himself.

In a similar vein this week, he conveniently absented himself from the show when the RTE wages were on the front page so as not to have to bring negative attention on himself. The complete hypocrisy of the situation is the fact that he spends at least five to ten minutes a day with his childish impressions of Trump saying "fake news, fake news", when the truth is that Tubridy himself manipulates the media just as much as Trump does.
    You just know that Tubs was stuffed into lockers in secondary school by big alpha males like Trump or JFK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

You just know that Tubs was stuffed into lockers in secondary school by big alpha males like Trump or JFK.

Is this a joke? Trump was an invalid as a youngster if you are to believe his draft exemption. He wouldn't lie, would he? Tubbers would have ran rings around him. Not that the pair of posh lanky ***** would have lasted a minute in normal schools anyway. Pair of peas in a posh pod.

VeryTerry wrote: »
    Is this a joke? Trump was an invalid as a youngster if you are to believe his draft exemption. He wouldn't lie, would he? Tubbers would have ran rings around him.

Well I think if you were to put together a list of recent President who served it would be a short list. Most seemed to suffer from some ailment or other. John McCain always got the high of respect from me for what he went through, I was surprised he didn't do better when he went for office.

But any time I hear Tubridy trying to align himself with JFK, that debate between Bentsen and Dan Quayle comes to mind. "Tubridy, I served with Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Tubridy, you are no Jack Kennedy". :)

Was looking at a playback of Gaybo’s Toy Shows on Pat Shortt last night, gawd there’s absolutely no comparison. An early show had a simple but Christmassy set, a later show had a very elaborate and more importantly, a Christmassy set. The host was totally professional and engaging, engaging with audience, celebrity guests as well as the children. Of course with his daughter, Crona, in the background who is particularly adept with children. It was far more entertaining than the goof who now wants to cut out the seasonal aspect and merely have a show where he can entertain himself by being a rather creepy sort of kid himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,630 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Ryan discussing sports...

burst-out-laughing-gif.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

"Donald, haw haw haw"
    Hillary Clinton
    And it's only 9.10am.

Still to come, Late Late, Toy Show, acting the maggot, books, self praise, The Beatles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    "Donald, haw haw haw"
    Hillary Clinton
    And it's only 9.10am.

Still to come, Late Late, Toy Show, acting the maggot, books, self praise, The Beatles.

The wankability about the Toy Show is starting to get on my tits!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Yesterday he dedicated a fair proportion of the show reading out christmas cards that had been sent to him by people telling him how brilliant his show is. Introduced this part with something like "and I suggested to the team that we read out a few of the cards we've received and they said sure why not!".

That strikes me as both seriously lazy and seriously conceited. How can they possibly think that this makes for good listening.

Another new trait I've noticed recently is him trying to qualify the misery slot by explaining why he's including it. "i just wanted to read out this terribly sad and depressing letter because it will make people who are in the same position feel better" .. So thoughtful!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I just realized he was up to the same craic this morning.

He spent the guts of 20 minutes reading out cards from people thanking him, congratulating him on the toy show and his "goofiness", cards from kids wanting to meet him.

Dont suppose there's any chance of him reading out some of the many hundreds of complaints he received about Casey?!

Unreal stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I am curious to know, and maybe some posters who listen to international Radio might be able to answer - but what do similar shows in England/Scotland etc use as content?

Is the misery/ilness obsession a purely Irish phenomenon? For instance when Tubridy was on his jaunts to the BBC was it the same type of show but sans late late show talk?

I'm not being smart or defending the depressing content rte put out or anything - it frustrates me no end!!! I genuinely want to know what else is out there in terms of regular topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

misery/illness "look at me I was / I'm sick" obsession has only reared its ugly head in Irish TV/radio/On-line content in the past 10 years.

before that nobody really discussed sick children etc.

don't think it's done anywhere else.

my radio/tv gets switched over straight away

PieOhMy wrote: »
    I am curious to know, and maybe some posters who listen to international Radio might be able to answer - but what do similar shows in England/Scotland etc use as content?

Is the misery/ilness obsession a purely Irish phenomenon? For instance when Tubridy was on his jaunts to the BBC was it the same type of show but sans late late show talk?

I'm not being smart or defending the depressing content rte put out or anything - it frustrates me no end!!! I genuinely want to know what else is out there in terms of regular topics.

I listen to BBC radio four a fair bit.

Good bit of misery sound there too.

That strikes me as both seriously lazy and seriously conceited. How can they possibly think that this makes for good listening.

And do you know what, it doesn't do him any favours. He thinks it's humble to read out the few very complimentary texts that they get in and act surprised with an "oh well, that's awfully kind of you to say so, I'm not sure if I'm deserving forthwith of such a com-diddly-oment".

But one of the things that I loved about the much maligned George Hook was that he would read out the worst of the comments that came in to him. Remember he would read out something like "George, you bit fat old dinosaur, why don't you just retire". Humble is reading out the texts that are NOT complimentary, acknowledging the people who disagree with you, NOT cherry picking the complimentary ones and pretending like you are embarrassed by the praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

And do you know what, it doesn't do him any favours. He thinks it's humble to read out the few very complimentary texts that they get in and act surprised with an "oh well, that's awfully kind of you to say so, I'm not sure if I'm deserving forthwith of such a com-diddly-oment".

But one of the things that I loved about the much maligned George Hook was that he would read out the worst of the comments that came in to him. Remember he would read out something like "George, you bit fat old dinosaur, why don't you just retire". Humble is reading out the texts that are NOT complimentary, acknowledging the people who disagree with you, NOT cherry picking the complimentary ones and pretending like you are embarrassed by the praise.

They were just the ones from his Newstalk colleagues. :pac: Not looking at anyone in particular.......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I listen to BBC radio four a fair bit.

Good bit of misery sound there too.

Fair enough- thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just my opinion, but LBC radio is ace. Most of the time. Try it out.

PieOhMy wrote: »

I have a feeling it is popular everywhere, eg. I was in Réunion Island (bear Mauritius) in 2017, and although my French is nil-rusty I heard what I knew right well to be a smarmy sounding radio host drW more and more tears over more than 20 minutes from a female caller. Kind of the island’s answer to Liveline, but punctuated by more ads. The host sounded ever merrier as the caller repeated, in great distress, the words ears pricking.“mort” and “cancer”. I think the idea is that listeners either say to selves “that’s me/that was me, they are talking about” or a “thank goodness that isn’t me”. It gets

• Registered Users Posts: 10,442 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I think the idea is that listeners either say to selves “that’s me/that was me, they are talking about” or a “thank goodness that isn’t me”. It gets

Um.....are you there caller?........caller?.........bad line bad line.....where's my Corrs tape? Back after deze.

• Advertisement

They were just the ones from his Newstalk colleagues. :pac: Not looking at anyone in particular.......;)

You're thinking of Chris Donoghue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement