Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

Agree with Catmaniac, I think the the opening monologue of the show is hilarious, puts Partridge in the halfpenny place.

PieOhMy wrote: »

Also he didnt want his family hear from the press he had it so he immediately rang the radio and TV before them (this is a joke- as I wouldnt like be accused of being a meanie or a Rotter or a bully or whatever)

This certainly makes no sense at all. Eg, he gets a bit feverish etc, gets test & comes out positive; then instead of phoning his nearest & dearest who might have been fairly recently closely in his company, he phones RTÉ beforehand for the reason that his family would immediately leak it out to the press? That seems to be what he is saying here. Of course he would be obliged to inform RTÉ ASAP for scheduling as well as health & safety purposes. In effect it would be a quick succession of initial calls to make, it would indeed have been very stressful being unwell and trying to keep everyone up to date when all you want to do is lie down and sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Bryan off again this Friday in prep for the Boy Man Toy Show. He’ll need 3 weeks off to come down from the high (natural of course) :rolleyes: of presenting it.....

Well fair play to Ryan.His listenership increased in the latest JNLR survey..

Well done Bryan! You - along with every other prime time show on Radio 1 - managed to increase your audience in a global pandemic and national lockdown where almost all the workforce was at home. Truly an outstanding achievement!

:rolleyes:

In the midst of that smorgasbord or Willy Wonka Factory of self congratulatory nonsense, one line jumped out:

"The hand written cards, with immaculate penmanship, from listeners and viewers were lovely." (emphasis mine).

WTAF????????

It’s easy enough when they’re all written by the same person......

• Advertisement

Ok folks, have moderated that situation, so to speak. Anybody else feeling like doing some backseat moderation will be likewise banned.

Oh hello, what did I miss? :pac:

I think my cat was a bit overplayful.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Some lad must have ‘unloaded’ Butthers.....that’s all I can think of.

Keep the head down......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,029 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

As a mod I will always say all opinions are welcome. But I cannot magic up positive opinions if there aren't that many. And I mean genuinely positive ones from folk who get positives out of the Ryan Tubridy show, not just people who are on to defend for the sake of defending. Comments that point out where the show has mean meaningful, not comments that are written simply to troll other posters.

Look broadly around the radio threads, and you will find many interesting discussions by people who both agree and disagree with what's on the show, the way it is presented, each other. I myself post mostly positively about the folk in RTÉ current affairs. I also like Darcy on the Den, and I like some of the stuff on his radio show. I would be critical of his pay, as with Duffy & Tubridy. Personally speaking I can find very little positive to say of either Tubridy or Duffy in terms of radio presentation. To me Ryan comes across as completely insincere, and that he is no longer managing to even "fake it" these days. I don't really think he is entirely enjoying it himself.

I think he is an able talker, but I think I might better enjoy seeing him present something like what he mentioned one time, a train travel show, or something niche like that. I just don't think the show is "doing it". I would like to see him travelling around Ireland in a fashion like Manchán Magan or John Creedon and giving his take on it. I think he has something better to offer outside the studio,

As for moderators, we are thin enough on the ground and do it on a purely voluntary basis. We are users of Boards too, and have opinions too. I snip quite a few negative comments, so what is seen here is actually a moderated version of opinions.

Personally I would be happy to see RTÉ brush up some of its entertainment area, and to cut down on the lashings of misery and what seems to be faux empathy that some presenters are obliged to adopt to keep up the sheer number of tales of woe that RTÉ seems to want imparted. I think it must be genuinely difficult for presenters to keep up with.

I’d like him to series on extremely dangerous things and every week he had to do something lethal, episode 1 Katie Taylor warms things up then send him to Congo With the army rangers, North Sea fishing, fetish clubs, Luas security etc

• Advertisement

Some lad must have ‘unloaded’ Butthers.....that’s all I can think of.

Keep the head down......

No doubt I’ll be blamed - and I wasn’t even online at the time! ;):rolleyes::pac:

No doubt I’ll be blamed - and I wasn’t even online at the time! ;):rolleyes::pac:

Do you •want• to be blamed? ;) and get the aul cat'o'nine tails

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

As a mod I will always say all opinions are welcome. But I cannot magic up positive opinions if there aren't that many. And I mean genuinely positive ones from folk who get positives out of the Ryan Tubridy show, not just people who are on to defend for the sake of defending. Comments that point out where the show has mean meaningful, not comments that are written simply to troll other posters.

Look broadly around the radio threads, and you will find many interesting discussions by people who both agree and disagree with what's on the show, the way it is presented, each other. I myself post mostly positively about the folk in RTÉ current affairs. I also like Darcy on the Den, and I like some of the stuff on his radio show. I would be critical of his pay, as with Duffy & Tubridy. Personally speaking I can find very little positive to say of either Tubridy or Duffy in terms of radio presentation. To me Ryan comes across as completely insincere, and that he is no longer managing to even "fake it" these days. I don't really think he is entirely enjoying it himself.

I think he is an able talker, but I think I might better enjoy seeing him present something like what he mentioned one time, a train travel show, or something niche like that. I just don't think the show is "doing it". I would like to see him travelling around Ireland in a fashion like Manchán Magan or John Creedon and giving his take on it. I think he has something better to offer outside the studio,

As for moderators, we are thin enough on the ground and do it on a purely voluntary basis. We are users of Boards too, and have opinions too. I snip quite a few negative comments, so what is seen here is actually a moderated version of opinions.

Personally I would be happy to see RTÉ brush up some of its entertainment area, and to cut down on the lashings of misery and what seems to be faux empathy that some presenters are obliged to adopt to keep up the sheer number of tales of woe that RTÉ seems to want imparted. I think it must be genuinely difficult for presenters to keep up with.

That's fair enough. Also, I do understand it's voluntary.

If, for example you look at any social media say for a telco or ISP, it's all complaints, very little praise for the things done ok. I get it, we all like to vent, moan, slag or whatever. It gets tiresome though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

More Music wrote: »
    That's fair enough. Also, I do understand it's voluntary.

If, for example you look at any social media say for a telco or ISP, it's all complaints, very little praise for the things done ok. I get it, we all like to vent, moan, slag or whatever. It gets tiresome though.

Hi MM. The thing with me is: What does he do Ok?

Advertise upcoming stuff on the LLS. The Toy Show has been spoken about almost every day since last December. He's advertising RTE advertising. He's been advertising the "Irish" Daily Mirror a lot lately. "tabloids are great" Funnily enough. they have been advertising him a lot lately too.

I have a half hour window between 9 and 10 when I can listen to the radio in peace. Sometimes I listen to RT, other times I listen to other shows.

What I normally hear is repetition. There is nothing new. Monday and Tuesday we hear all about how great the previous LLS was. Thur and Fri we will hear about how great the next LLS is going to be. Gorgeousness, Kindness, Covid advice, USA presidents books. etc. A sad story. Texts about how brave the sad story woman was. ad break. texts and handwritten letters about people crying in their kitchens. another ad break. The news.

I bear RT no ill will and don't want to "Bully" him . But for the coin he's taking off the taxpayer , Jesus, come up with something original. Give us something different every day

One thing I’ve learned from Bryan is that it’s bullying if the behaviour he deems undesirable is directed towards him, but it’s only a bit of craic if he does it and others find it so. Not unlike some posters who shall remain nameless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

Free Santa Face Mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

shurely the word of the year is KINDNESS

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

Tubridy criticising people using words to make themselves seem more important.

Two minutes after referring to "Toy Show Week".

Irony is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

It is Radio Ryan. We cannot see what you are wearing.

More free chocolates (called out the paucity of Lindt in their freebie, again)
    Free Art (couldn’t hear what in particular)
    Was also some communication from Fallon and Byrne and Shandon Sweets. I'll have to listen back to see if there were acknowledged freebies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

"Voting is a beautiful gift"
    He is so fake.

The spit is disgusting today. Must of just had his jumbo breakfast with Coke Cola.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

If Tubridy was doing the interview back when it happened you just know that he would have been on Profumo's side because that would be the popular side to be on. Tubridy's interviewing is not brave, it's just in line with which ever way the wind is blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

He feels their pain. He does in his hole !!

She's a friend of the show

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Collecting grandkids?

How did he know to direct the shyte talk to her pudding bowls ;). All these calls are complete setups

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Tubridy is so fake...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

What a host.
    'Childerden' he says to a woman calling into a quiz who doesn't have the exact hometown inflection he's used to on his two-bit show.
    A natural, professional host would seemlessly introduce or partake in some mocking with the implied nod from his guest or caller, ya know like some previous slagging or incident during their interaction.
    Not the Patron Saint of Kindness - too many examples of him indulging himself at others expense with his mocking just hanging there.

PS I'm most definitely not a snowflake just this guy's hypocritical attitude irritates the fck out of me!

She's a friend of the show

Everyone is a friend of the show in his eyes.

• Advertisement

Continuing PieOhMy's sterling service:

So that's recently:

Free Unknown volume of books
    Free bespoke jewellery x 2
    Free essential oils for mask
    Free buns from Bewleys
    Free trip on the navy ship
    Free 8 Glasses cases
    Free accessory for vinyl record player
    Free flowers
    Free Yop, Fruit of the Forest and Yakult
    Free Holland and figges supply
    Free Calm App
    Free Scents of Ireland commercial air diffuser and scents
    Free Epicurean Delights (i.e. Grub)
    Free Watercolour
    Free Candles
    Free book about Elvis' comeback in 68
    Free Waterford Famine Buke
    Free pints
    Free sweets from Shandons
    Free loose leaf tea
    Free bread knives
    Free candles possibly wickless candles
    Free teapot
    Free vinyl (Beatles/McCarthy)
    Free Tea brack
    Free Cards
    Free More cards (rejected - Catholics need not apply)
    Free halloween masks
    Free Cufflinks (monogrammed for Tubridy, of course)
    Free fudge
    Free Southern Star newspaper
    Free Opinion magazine
    Freebie print from book (gorgeous, apparently)
    Free crisps and earplugs
    Free greetings cards
    Free Beatles book
    Free bottle with fairy lights
    Free Hot Chocolate Bomb
    Free Personalised Christmas Stocking
    Free Novelty Mug
    Free Handmade Scarf (moss green in colour, and long)
    Free multiple handmade Christmas Cards
    Free John Banville Book (delivered personally to him while shopping)
    Free Barack Obama autobiography (extremely large and heavy)
    Free box of Lindt chocolates (only 8 in box, Tubs not happy)
    Free face mask from Chester Beatty
    Free books
    Free Paul McCartney poster
    Free Aerial photography coffee table book
    Free Christmas jumper
    Free Waterford Festive Star (a magazine)
    Free Holly Bough (a Cork annual)
    Free Santa Beard Face Mask
    Free chocolates from Bean & Goose (called out paucity of Lindt in their freebie, again)
    Free Art from Trish Taylor Thompson (something visual)
    Free Books (from “listener” doing her Marie Kondo clearout)
    Free Shandon Sweets, again.

A big TYFYS to those who flag the freebies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement