Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

Rte and cancer go hand in hand.
    It seems to be mentioned on most shows on a near daily basis.

I mean no disrespect by this, but RTÉ have embraced a new phenomenon, the Cancer Celebrity (as opposed the celebrity with cancer). It is good that we are aware of what happens, but it seems that RTÉ especially embrace them as they cost little. The budget is behind their more recent enthusiasm of misery; an endless cheap supply of talkers (again I mean no disrespect to the people themselves and wouldn't be too unlike them myself in persona), where the cancer-weary host is pushed to feign empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

What happened to that woman that text in a few months back, to say she was parked in the car outside the hospital about to go in and get her results and that she had told no-one, except a national radio show, about it?
    Ryan asked her to get in touch afterwards...did she?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,625 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    What happened to that woman that text in a few months back, to say she was parked in the car outside the hospital about to go in and get her results and that she had told no-one, except a national radio show, about it?
    Ryan asked her to get in touch afterwards...did she?

Did she actually speak to Ryan on air?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

It would be RTEs wet dream to actualy get involved with a cancer story pre diagnosis and follow through to after the months mind mass.

That sounds harsh on reflection. I don't mean to be glib about tragic situations, just commenting on how given rtes content recently that I believe that sort of tragic story would be something they would derive satisfaction from

I've mentioned this before, but decades ago I was part of lung transplant recipient Brendan McLaughlin's support group, liaising with media, biography writing, visiting etc., that was back in early 1990s. I was making every effort to get Brendan on the various major TV shows. Radio shows like Gerry Ryan, local Donegal radio were no problem, newspapers (except Irish Times) were obliging. I used to regularly get phoned at all sorts of hours for updates by these sources. All pre-internet, pre-mobile phones.

Never managed to get him onto Gaybo's programs, and it was only when his book was published that I got him onto Pat Kenny's TV show, though I got him slotted into the audience once, having driven him there from his hospital bed. He managed a few gasping words before the horrible studio manager had him shut up quickly. PK himself was very pleasant to us. I had been told by producers that audiences have a limited tolerance for "misery stories" and that they had to very much limit the number they put on, otherwise advertising revenue and sponsorship would dry up quickly.

I actually got his book published with the help of Pat Kenny's producer who contacted a publisher with the guarantee of a publicity slot on the TV show. So they made a before and after transplant comparison of Brendan on the show. There was a huge upsurge in organ donations surrounding all that publicity. The publisher had brought the draft of the book back to his family to read and said that the two women in the house were crying after reading it, so that was good enough for him to fire ahead with it.

Around the time the odd "saved from death" book was starting to become popular alongside the miserable Irish childhood ones, although Alice Taylor's happy childhood series were Gaybo's favourites. Books about impoverished upbringings were fashionable, and when my mother's cousin tried to get her very interesting bio of a privileged upbringing published, she was told there was no market for that. So in one way, misery makes for popular reads, but on TV and radio people prefer to be cheered up.

• Advertisement

Have we all got our popcorn, sweet tea and Marietta biscuits on the ready for tomorrow?

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29d679416f79d6e25a7ffc88fa2c40bb9cec80d387&rid=giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Rte and cancer go hand in hand.
    It seems to be mentioned on most shows on a near daily basis.

Isn't it sort of ironic that given RTE's love of cancer for filling their radio and TV schedule, and given that 30 people die every day in Ireland from cancer, that the only story they have LEADING the news every single day for the last eight months is that between 0 and 5 people have died from COVID. On that same day they have probably covered more stories dealing with people who have died from cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭StevenToast

You know...i have to watch the Toy Show for family reasons, I really dont want to because I cant stand Tubridy.....

I just have to suck it up and watch that coke fiend pontificate and tell everyone that he has saved christmas....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Tubs strikes me as being far too square to go near the devil's dandruff.
    On a more serious note I would have thought he would have been so shook up about the loss of friend, colleague and mentor G Ryan that he wouldn't touch the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Have we all got our popcorn, sweet tea and Marietta biscuits on the ready for tomorrow?

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29d679416f79d6e25a7ffc88fa2c40bb9cec80d387&rid=giphy.gif

I have reduced the colour in my TV,so it is in black and white

• Advertisement

The one thing that struck me about the Simon Coveney's speech about Santa was how convincingly he can stand up in the national parliament and lie to the Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Tears rolling down the cheeks here.

Move over the 'Just a minute' quiz there's a new quiz in town.

'Who gives the speech on tv on Christmas in the UK'

Contestant- Mary Poppins.

dvcireland wrote: »
    TODD no fan Kindness, a complete bollix, apparantly

As a VERY young chiseler Todd Andrew's was one of the very first public figure names that was in my head, my mother giving out about him a lot because of his closure of railways including our local Harcourt Street line, especially the total dismantling of them. She always thought they should be kept as throughways for potential future development for transport, cycling etc, even if they had to be temporarily closed down. When redeveloping for LUAS a lot of gardens etc had been allowed by councils to extend partly across the former line so some purchasing back had to be made, including her friend's back garden.

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Tears rolling down the cheeks here.

Move over the 'Just a minute' quiz there's a new quiz in town.

'Who gives the speech on tv on Christmas in the UK'

Contestant- Mary Poppins.

She was unbelievable, although I know my own mind would probably go blank simply with stage fright if I phoned in to a quiz show, hence I don't. But I don't think the answers were anywhere near the top of her tongue. Social Science student....like Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Ye are all a pack of begrudgers

A thread going for 5 years, just as he moved over to RTÉ Radio 1 from his hugely successful show on RTÉ 2fm

begrudgers the lot of ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Elmo wrote: »
    Ye are all a pack of begrudgers

A thread going for 5 years, just as he moved over to RTÉ Radio 1 from his hugely successful show on RTÉ 2fm

begrudgers the lot of ye!

Cool story bro.

Cool story bro.

Such begrudgary, can you not let it go, think of the children :pac:

Such begrudgary, can you not let it go, think of the children :pac:

Lol.

Look if Tubs is your thing and you’re happy subsidizing his outrageous lifestyle though the payment of fees then that’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. But equally, there are many of us who hold differing views.

Lol.

Look if Tubs is your thing and you’re happy subsidizing his outrageous lifestyle though the payment of fees then that’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. But equally, there are many of us who hold differing views.

Nah I am just bull****ting... just wanted to cause a reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You know...i have to watch the Toy Show for family reasons, I really dont want to because I cant stand Tubridy.....

I just have to suck it up and watch that coke fiend pontificate and tell everyone that he has saved christmas....

You called him a **** on another post here, and I saw this from you on the Toy Show thread. You must know him very well.

Spoiler Alert..

Ryan Tubridy will be coked up out of his mind..

And will be a bigger c*nt than usual...

• Advertisement

Nah I am just bull****ting... just wanted to cause a reaction.

Thats bonkers, and peculiar.....and not very kind.
    ;)

You called him a **** on another post here, and I saw this from you on the Toy Show thread. You must know him very well.

Spoiler Alert..

Ryan Tubridy will be coked up out of his mind..

And will be a bigger c*nt than usual...

Allegedly.

Thats bonkers, and peculiar.....and not very kind.
    ;)

bonkers! bonkers!

peeeeeeecuuuuuliaaaaaaar

Pulls faces like Tubs

Allegedly.

It probably takes one to know one.

Allegedly.

Nah he'll definitely be a bigger **** than usual!

It probably takes one to know one.

Well you said it.......

Ah lads can't we all get along for the day that's in it - National Toy Show Day. And with the way the whole promotion of it is getting more and more out of hand every year, I wouldn't put it past being call National Toy Show Day by this time next year.

Ah lads can't we all get along for the day that's in it - National Toy Show Day. And with the way the whole promotion of it is getting more and more out of hand every year, I wouldn't put it past being call National Toy Show Day by this time next year.

+1.

It's ridiculous, it's in every paper today and across all media outlets online. Completely overhyped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

Perhaps we should go the whole hog and rename Christmas.

Happy Toy Show Season!

• Advertisement

If it was kept to it's own megathread in Television, it would not be polluting this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement