Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

dvcireland wrote: »
    a lot of these charities pay their top brass too much

And I know a broadcaster that pays its "top talent" too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The only thing left for Bryan to perform on this self-congratulatory toy show world tour this morning is fellatio.....on himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

Free crate of Club Orange

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Watched the toy show Friday night with my 8 year old kid. What a special 2.5 hours. First time she’s been able to stay up for it. Usually watch it the next day.
    I don’t know if some of the negative comments about the toy show are from those who don’t have kids, but I think it’s amazing witnessing the naïve excitement of a child at Christmas.
    I think Tubs is excellent in the presenter role. I don’t usually watch the late late show, so I cant judge him on the week to week presenting. But he is so good with the kids.
    People will nit-pick that there weren’t as many toys being showcased as they would have liked. But in reality how many kids make their Santa wishlist based on something they saw on the toyshow.
    Anyway, I thought It was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Watched the toy show Friday night with my 8 year old kid. What a special 2.5 hours. First time she’s been able to stay up for it. Usually watch it the next day.
    I don’t know if some of the negative comments about the toy show are from those who don’t have kids, but I think it’s amazing witnessing the naïve excitement of a child at Christmas.
    I think Tubs is excellent in the presenter role. I don’t usually watch the late late show, so I cant judge him on the week to week presenting. But he is so good with the kids.
    People will nit-pick that there weren’t as many toys being showcased as they would have liked. But in reality how many kids make their Santa wishlist based on something they saw on the toyshow.

Fair enough...does he deserve €500,000 a year for it?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Do you think it was worth the constant daily plugging on his radio show for the last 3 months, though?

Even today, having indulged in an orgy of self congratulation for the first 35 minutes of his radio show, he had to insert a Toy Show reference into an interview with the conductor of the RTECO.

It’s relentless.

That’s twice now that Tubridy has asked his guest why he was bullied.

Extraordinary victim shaming.

I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Do you think it was worth the constant daily plugging on his radio show for the last 3 months, though?

Even today, having indulged in an orgy of self congratulation for the first 35 minutes of his radio show, he had to insert a Toy Show reference into an interview with the conductor of the RTECO.

It’s relentless.

3months? It’s year round. And I’m not even joking!

He sang Singing In The Rain? Think I predicted that a while ago 😄

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I wonder why RT stopped his analysis of people and bullies.
    The interviewee says 'I believe people are generally good'
    RT says 'I believe you believe that'
    Interviewee says 'I often wonder how my bully's lives turned out'
    Rt says 'They're usually from...<trails off>'
    Interviewee says 'We cannot assume'

Did I catch that right? (paraphrased above)

Odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I have heard great feedback from the show. My 'kids' are a bit older so wanted to watch something else - my wife watched it and said there were some great kids on it and Ryan did very well.

But, I have noticed that there is such a continuous rehash and constant reference to the Toy Show he loses the kudos for me anyway. I have worked on various successful projects at work but would get really short shrift if I kept bringing them up like this.

At the end of the day the radio programme is for adults and its definitely right facilitate the parents and kids to ring in today with their thanks and I liked some of the comments where parents said about their kids reaction but I don't think he needed to go on about going for a walk and being eulogised or the comparisons to Live AId.

I am not a regular listener but sometimes switch on when in the car or just a check in on the radio but, in those random times, the amount of toy show references or books references is massive. It does suit many but is definitely a very specific cohort and there are so many other interests that people have that he could focus on.

That said I wouldn't like to take from the people that DID really enjoy Friday night and tuned in this morning for more of the same.

He sang Singing In The Rain? Think I predicted that a while ago ��

That well known Roald Dahl penned song...................:rolleyes:

I watched it or....at least tried to...with my 5year old yesterday as it was on too late for him last Friday night. After about 5minutes he said "This should be called The Book Show and not The Toy Show"; after about 20minutes he said "Can we watch something else? Can we watch Home Alone again?".

He loves books btw; but he expected toys (the clue is in the title) and he didn't get them, so instead we watched Home Alone again - which is fine by me!

Oh and Bryan didn't say the F word. It was the B word, which rhymes with pollocks.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I’m glad you enjoyed it.

It’s relentless.

That's all over my head - don't listen to his radio show. Don't listen to to the radio actually. Not by choice. Just I don't have a radio at home, and if in the car I listen to my own music. The only pluggin I had heard was from my 8 year old, begging to be allowed to stay up for it. So I guess I haven't had the self-congratulatory element to listen to.

Anyway, I can just take it at face value; for our daughter (and to a lesser extent, our 5 year old boy), there are a few essentials at this time of the year - Santa, elves, presents and Late Late toy show. Those things are part and parcel of Christmas for them. The enjoyment that she got out of the 2.5 hours was unmeasureable, and the satisfaction that I got from bonding with her, likewise

We can always find fault with things; in this case - not enough toys, too many sob stories, too much plugging/self-congratulations etc. But for me, it makes no difference. Bottom line is we loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    I wonder why RT stopped his analysis of people and bullies.

Maybe they should bring in Joe Duffy to give the complete "other side" of that dynamic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

That's all over my head - don't listen to his radio show. Don't listen to to the radio actually. Not by choice. Just I don't have a radio at home, and if in the car I listen to my own music. The only pluggin I had heard was from my 8 year old, begging to be allowed to stay up for it. So I guess I haven't had the self-congratulatory element to listen to.

Anyway, I can just take it at face value; for our daughter (and to a lesser extent, our 5 year old boy), there are a few essentials at this time of the year - Santa, elves, presents and Late Late toy show. Those things are part and parcel of Christmas for them. The enjoyment that she got out of the 2.5 hours was unmeasureable, and the satisfaction that I got from bonding with her, likewise

We can always find fault with things; in this case - not enough toys, too many sob stories, too much plugging/self-congratulations etc. But for me, it makes no difference. Bottom line is we loved it.

Ah well see that's where you made a mistake :p, us dyed in the wool tubs radio show listeners will know that he's been going on about this years "Toy" show ever since the one in 2019 finished.
    Taken on its own merits, Friday night was a very good children in need appeal show, with some fantastic kids on it. I enjoyed it too for what it was. It wasn't a toy show though.
    But I just think people on here are fed up with the self-anointed "toyman" with his incessant yapping about books, his humble-bragging, his freebies, his kind, gorgeous, delicious, intriguing, bonkers adjectives. Books. The weeks off during the year. The 500k salary for a few hours work. The "thing". Being thankful for THAT! Books. Non-existent puffins. Being the self appointed saviour of all Ireland and shining a light for all of us. Vanity projects such as singing in the rain - its not Jimmy Stewart but it will do. Contagions of Kindness. Books. Verbal Diarrhea. A father and his ducklings. Delicious Fires. Delicious donkeys.Jelly babies. Hamilton - did someone say Hamilton ? Chips...talking to old women in shops. and books. Repeat that for a year and add a whole lot of back patting and you've got the radio show.

besides all that, hes grand.:)

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Ah well see that's where you made a mistake :p, us dyed in the wool tubs radio show listeners will know that he's been going on about this years "Toy" show ever since the one in 2019 finished.
    Taken on its own merits, Friday night was a very good children in need appeal show, with some fantastic kids on it. I enjoyed it too for what it was. It wasn't a toy show though.
    But I just think people on here are fed up with the self-anointed "toyman" with his incessant yapping about books, his humble-bragging, his freebies, his kind, gorgeous, delicious, intriguing, bonkers adjectives. Books. The weeks off during the year. The 500k salary for a few hours work. The "thing". Being thankful for THAT! Books. Non-existent puffins. Being the self appointed saviour of all Ireland and shining a light for all of us. Vanity projects such as singing in the rain - its not Jimmy Stewart but it will do. Contagions of Kindness. Books. Verbal Diarrhea. A father and his ducklings. Delicious Fires. Delicious donkeys.Jelly babies. Hamilton - did someone say Hamilton ? Chips...talking to old women in shops. and books. Repeat that for a year and add a whole lot of back patting and you've got the radio show.

besides all that, hes grand.:)

Nice description. Even my 5year old complained there wasn't enough toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Nice description. Even my 5year old complained there wasn't enough toys.

Said it in the other thread, but covid meant Tubs couldn't get close to the kids so it stopped all the messing about he usually does. It actually meant he had to talk to them, the part where the magic happens!
    I actually cant remember a toy they reviewed. Like the part with the little girl where they did the dinner skit. what was that in aid of? why not use that time to look at the Lego, or dolls or whatever. Anyway !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

I saw a few Tweets over the weekend calling for it to be a showcase for kids and get rid of the toys altogether. Gutted that the spirit of what Pan Collins created has been chipped away at over the years and while I liked the show on Friday, I think the lack of toy features has spoiled things. I mean even Pat Kenny gave it a go at getting into the spirit of things.
    By all means, have a showcase of kids before the summer holidays but the tradition of doing your Santy list during the Toy Show is being lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

looks like tubs gambled EVERYTHING on the toy show and won....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Massive erection on the radio for him today

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

How dare you enjoy something that is presented by someone - who is avidly denigrated on boards.ie. With a thread primarily created with the same goal! :D
    You must not have read the memo!?
    Saying that Tubridy does anything half decent on this thread (without making it a backhanded compliment) is almost sacrilegious!

I believe most people on this thread listen to Tubridy 'ironically' as it is the hipster thing to do. And a lot surely think to themselves 'I could have done that job as well if I had the connections, and RTE nepotism etc'.

However, I believe Tubridy's core listenership are not on this thread at all. It is just set up as piece of satire between a small clique of posters who enjoy critiquing it, negatively in the main. I follow this thread to follow their annoyance. It is funny to read. I rarely listen to the show either.

But, I am delighted you enjoyed the Toy Show, because it will wind the clique up on this thread no end! Plus, it is nice people can find a bit of happiness in the simple things in life. Even though some almost resent you for it!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I 'missed' him today

How insufferable was he?

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Said it in the other thread, but covid meant Tubs couldn't get close to the kids so it stopped all the messing about he usually does. It actually meant he had to talk to them, the part where the magic happens!
    I actually cant remember a toy they reviewed. Like the part with the little girl where they did the dinner skit. what was that in aid of? why not use that time to look at the Lego, or dolls or whatever. Anyway !

We're they nervous of being #unwoke with the toys or something?

Continuing PieOhMy's sterling service:

So that's recently:

Free Unknown volume of books
    Free bespoke jewellery x 2
    Free essential oils for mask
    Free buns from Bewleys
    Free trip on the navy ship
    Free 8 Glasses cases
    Free accessory for vinyl record player
    Free flowers
    Free Yop, Fruit of the Forest and Yakult
    Free Holland and figges supply
    Free Calm App
    Free Scents of Ireland commercial air diffuser and scents
    Free Epicurean Delights (i.e. Grub)
    Free Watercolour
    Free Candles
    Free book about Elvis' comeback in 68
    Free Waterford Famine Buke
    Free pints
    Free sweets from Shandons
    Free loose leaf tea
    Free bread knives
    Free candles possibly wickless candles
    Free teapot
    Free vinyl (Beatles/McCarthy)
    Free Tea brack
    Free Cards
    Free More cards (rejected - Catholics need not apply)
    Free halloween masks
    Free Cufflinks (monogrammed for Tubridy, of course)
    Free fudge
    Free Southern Star newspaper
    Free Opinion magazine
    Freebie print from book (gorgeous, apparently)
    Free crisps and earplugs
    Free greetings cards
    Free Beatles book
    Free bottle with fairy lights
    Free Hot Chocolate Bomb
    Free Personalised Christmas Stocking
    Free Novelty Mug
    Free Handmade Scarf (moss green in colour, and long)
    Free multiple handmade Christmas Cards
    Free John Banville Book (delivered personally to him while shopping)
    Free Barack Obama autobiography (extremely large and heavy)
    Free box of Lindt chocolates (only 8 in box, Tubs not happy)
    Free face mask from Chester Beatty
    Free books
    Free Paul McCartney poster
    Free Aerial photography coffee table book
    Free Christmas jumper
    Free Waterford Festive Star (a magazine)
    Free Holly Bough (a Cork annual)
    Free Santa Beard Face Mask
    Free chocolates from Bean & Goose (called out paucity of Lindt in their freebie, again)
    Free Art from Trish Taylor Thompson (something visual)
    Free Books (from “listener” doing her Marie Kondo clearout)
    Free Shandon Sweets, again
    Free invite to chess convention
    Free Lighthouse Book
    Free chess lessons
    Free Book (Elf Isolation)
    Free crate of Club Orange

A big TYFYS to those who flag the freebies.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

The hilarity if listening to Tubridy's daily flow of consciousness aka Partridge Without the Script, wears thin fairly quickly. The thing that annoys me the most, and I suspect most of the contributors on this thread, is the fact that he is vastly overpaid considering his limited subject matter and talent. If he was getting €100K, he probably wouldn't bother me at all .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Xtrail14 wrote: »
    Massive erection on the radio for him today

Why, had he someone with cancer on again? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

It's a wonder the DLB turned up at all today.

Thought he'd need a day off to recover from Friday night's grueling shift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

It's a wonder the DLB turned up at all today.

Thought he'd need a day off to recover from Friday night's grueling shift.

People would crawl over broken glass to bask in the adulation bestowed on anyone toy show connected.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement