Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The influx of derisory contrarian types into the forum of late, is most amusing.

If only Tubbers had such staunch allies on Twitter, he might still be there.

Instagram is "kinder", apparently.

MOD - cards have been given. All trolling with receive infractions and tit for tat are liable to get warnings or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,624 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Most work places have rules about accepting 'gifts'. And usually they are not allowed.

Except at rte it seems. The more the merrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

MOD - cards have been given. All trolling with receive infractions and tit for tat are liable to get warnings or more.

Absolute BULL**** ..
    I wasn’t trolling - I was expressing my opinion ,
    Just because it’s not popular ?

Shove your private message warning up your hole

doughef wrote: »
    Absolute BULL**** ..

Permaban from forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

doughef wrote: »
    Absolute BULL**** ..

Classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Doughef also got very upset and started dishing out insults to people criticizing Lottie Ryan on another thread.

Mad how even Tubridy's cronies can't defend his work, so they just resort to insulting posters. Says a lot.

Doughef also got very upset and started dishing out insults to people criticizing Lottie Ryan on another thread.

Mad how even Tubridy's cronies can't defend his work, so they just resort to insulting posters. Says a lot.

Lottie Ryan is the best Showbiz Goss Reporter in the world. Do you know how hard it is to constantly refresh the Daily Mail website and read directly from it whilst pretending you're friends with the stars? RTE are lucky to have her. She deserves a raise before NBC or ITV poach her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Lottie Ryan is the best Showbiz Goss Reporter in the world. Do you know how hard it is to constantly refresh the Daily Mail website and read directly from it whilst pretending you're friends with the stars? RTE are lucky to have her. She deserves a raise before NBC or ITV poach her.

And anyone who says otherwise is an angry, obsessed, begrudging loser! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Anyway! (Good call there.)

A slight breakdown in the wokeness.

To be fair to him, I don't see an issue either-I don't think it the throwaway remark merited a complaint, he's come out with far more hypocritical/nonsensical comments.
    The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland said Ryan Tubridy could be "more careful in his choice of words" during a radio interview.

In a complaint which was rejected by the BAI, a woman said the host's comments on his radio show were "patronising".

The complaint relates to the RTE show on June 29 when the host was talking about women and make-up.

The complaint read: "The complainant is of the view that the presenter’s comments in respect to Irish women were patronising.

"The complainant states that the presenter, in discussing women and girls wearing a full face of makeup, commented on women looking more Irish the day after, when the makeup has been removed.

"The complainant is of the view that with the ongoing discussion about the Black Lives Matter movement and on underlying racism in Irish society, this kind of flippant commentary is unacceptable."

In response to the complaint, RTE said: "The broadcaster notes that the complainant is of the view that the presenter referred to people looking “more Irish”, however, the presenter did not make this comment.

"The broadcaster states that when discussing the amount of make-up worn by young Irish women, the presenter commented that when they removed their make-up, they “look better and young and Irish”.

"The broadcaster is of the view that the interviewee and listeners would have understood that the context for the remark was with regard to younger people wearing excessive make-up.

"The broadcaster considers this was demonstrated in the interviewee’s response, when she described makeup as escapism."

The BAI rejected the claim while stating that they believe Mr Tubridy could have used his words better.

They said: "With regard to the comment made by the presenter, the Committee noted that the presenter did not refer to anyone as looking 'more Irish', as suggested by the complaint.

"While discussing the way in which young people wear make-up, the presenter noted a contrast between seeing those young people with and without make-up on and commented that young people who are not wearing makeup may look 'better and young and Irish'.

"The Committee noted that this comment was made during a discussion about how the appearance of a person’s skin and wearing make-up can affect an individual’s self-confidence.

"The Committee was of the view that the presenter was offering his personal view about young people wearing make-up, rather than a comment on different skin tones.

"The Committee noted that this was a somewhat offhand remark, however, it is important that broadcasters are aware of the impact of language and the Committee was of the view that the presenter could have been more careful in his choice of words."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Ahh so it's the same person that lost the plot and had the thread shut down.

I was unfortunately dragged into that at the end, more fool me for getting involved but the point was that I don't think anyone has a problem with lottie herself, I think she actually seems really nice and cheerful, but the fact that such blatant nepotism exists in rte.

Maybe in retrospect that topic should be in a thread itself rather than Lotties one so if I could go back I wouldnt have gotten involved with all that.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Ahh so it's the same person that lost the plot and had the thread shut down.

I was unfortunately dragged into that at the end, more fool me for getting involved but the point was that I don't think anyone has a problem with lottie herself, I think she actually seems really nice and cheerful, but the fact that such blatant nepotism exists in rte.

Maybe in retrospect that topic should be in a thread itself rather than Lotties one so if I could go back I wouldnt have gotten involved with all that.

A thread on nepotism in RTÉ? That would break the internet, let alone boards.

Anyway! (Good call there.)

A slight breakdown in the wokeness.

To be fair to him, I don't see an issue either-I don't think it the throwaway remark merited a complaint, he's come out with far more hypocritical/nonsensical comments.

Wait until the complaint about the F bomb come in. Oh wait, he didn’t say that.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Its not a hobby, it's a public service. :p ....
    and we're all very thankful for THAT here.

To me I am unsure whether such a list is funny and fair play - type of thing.

Or whether it is funny because, any compliers need to have Aspergers or similar to spot those and/or go back over the radio show in detail.

By its very nature don't radio stations get given free stuff to 'plug' all the time? Free advertising.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

OK, let's address this head on.

Half the country is working from home-when I can avoid it, I'm out on the site with my team, otherwise I'm at home driving a keyboard, a couple of screens and a phone. Despite the technological inference, there's usually a radio on here, in my case, most likely made before your parents and mine were even thought of (I restore vintage sets). You might be streaming, or playing it through the Pc or whatever, but still listening, just like me, unless there's a Teams call, or whatever.

I'm digressing. Point is, there is understandably more scrutiny of late. People have brought that ethic, formerly confined to the workplace home, and diverted some of it down various byroads, and one of those is the bit of fun, and it is THAT, albeit frustrating as well, of pointing out empirically, and perfectly factually, what is going on.

And that can be the oafishness of Duffy, the technical incompetency of D'Arcy, the hooting bias of Cooper, who is becoming increasingly irrelevant, or whoever. In this case, it is the hypocrisy, possible naivete, but consistent arrogance and bubble mentality of Andrews the Younger.

In one sense, I enjoy it. In another, it pisses me off, but I'm glad someone is taking the time to do it, I consider it healthy oversight, and, I thank them for their service!

To me I am unsure whether such a list is funny and fair play - type of thing.

Or whether it is funny because, any compliers need to have Aspergers or similar to spot those and/or go back over the radio show in detail.

By its very nature don't radio stations get given free stuff to 'plug' all the time? Free advertising.

The daily list, I believe, is a wry look at the way the Ryan Tubridy show has become very significantly a vehicle for free advertising. It seems to take up so much of the show's content. I can't make my mind up whether this is a good thing or not, but Dee Forbes specifically stated she was against this kind of this. Also he is blatant about fishing for stuff, specifying companies who haven't sent in stuff, and making it very obvious he wants a nice little freebie trip to Iceland. This aspect is clearly and absolutely unacceptable to me anyway. It is the only show It's ever happened to this extent, ever.

Let's all leave references to other posters at that here. :)

We've won the war but we haven't won the peace.

Bush, Obama and the late late show.

Mind each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I hope that Tubridy is held to his promise about the vaccine. All these RTE people who have been very reluctant to question the vaccine, effectively becoming cheerleaders for Pfizer, should be the first to get it.

Especially since they are all high risk after the Phil Collins party. ;-)

• Advertisement

I took a trip to Balmoral & heard this story about the queen washing up. It's quite a small ordinary house on the estate where she stays, kind of a holiday of "slumming it", the royal equivalent of hostelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,624 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fair play Bohs.

I hope that Tubridy is held to his promise about the vaccine. All these RTE people who have been very reluctant to question the vaccine, effectively becoming cheerleaders for Pfizer, should be the first to get it.

Especially since they are all high risk after the Phil Collins party. ;-)

You bet they WILL be the first to get it, probably before medical staff, and broadcast live.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

A blind date wit a book ?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Wasn't Ryan the man handpicked by the great and good to bejaysus the sh1t out of the royal ones on their historic visit to Ireland?
    Ya know, the boyman did us proud grinning and giggling inanely at a pint of Guinness (the pinnacle of Irishness according to our betters) while within interviewing distance of them, so surely his people skills kicked in and he learnt a little about the two while embarrassing them and the whole nation?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Whestsidestory

I know that less people can physically be invited to Rte studios now but what the hell is going on with the brutal phone lines. Every day on almost every show especially the news ones they have to cut short a call because it keeps dropping out or its distorted. I notice this never seems to be a problem on my local radio

It wouldn't be a wet Thursday in Ireland without a bit of sewerside on rte.

It wouldn't be a wet Thursday in Ireland without a bit of sewerside on rte.

Friday on Liveline and the light entertainment television show is even more likely to have a generous slice of sewercide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

You bet they WILL be the first to get it, probably before medical staff, and broadcast live.

I'm not so sure. GPs are known for recommending vaccines to other people's kids but not being so enthusiastic about getting their own kids vaccinated. And our RTE pals have already exhibited a "do as I say, not as I do" mentality to the whole COVID situation.

"When I spoke to Blindboy Boatclub on the Late Late Show". :pac:

• Advertisement

Mind Yezerselves ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement