Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

You're thinking of Chris Donoghue.

I assure you I am not!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

I assure you I am not!

Is there a Doctor in the house ?:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Ryan's stand in definitely got the memo.
    Dead child. Tick
    Sports person who suffered a "life changing event". Tick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

sligojoek wrote:
    Ryan's stand in definitely got the memo. Dead child. Tick Sports person who suffered a "life changing event". Tick.

Non stop talking. Tick

bobbyss wrote:
    Non stop talking. Tick

This Baz fellow is insufferable. Very juvenile. He too is reading out stuff for the first 15 minutes or so. Interjecting with 'funny' asides.
    Trouble is he seems to find the reading bit a little difficult. Sounded ill prepared today. Isn't there anyone else hanging around in RTE who could do this programme?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I want to know what you are doing today? Text me in!!!

Where is fanning???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

bobbyss wrote: »
    This Baz fellow is insufferable. Very juvenile. He too is reading out stuff for the first 15 minutes or so. Interjecting with 'funny' asides.
    Trouble is he seems to find the reading bit a little difficult. Sounded ill prepared today. Isn't there anyone else hanging around in RTE who could do this programme?

I switched over after a while. The 'oul one stopped me jabbering on the phone on the bus' was enough for me. Reminded me of those truly crap late night outraged phone call shows. Marty wasn't on either. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

spurious wrote: »
    I switched over after a while. The 'oul one stopped me jabbering on the phone on the bus' was enough for me. Reminded me of those truly crap late night outraged phone call shows. Marty wasn't on either. :(

Miss Marty

• Registered Users Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I thought Baz was bad until Meeeeeeriam showed up at 10 for Sean.

"For the next few weeks" :eek:

The news that Marty is also MIA has cheered me up no end, though :D

HeidiHeidi wrote:
    I thought Baz was bad until Meeeeeeriam showed up at 10 for Sean.

Seemed like only yesterday we got a very comprehensive survey, by Conor Pope I think it was, of all health insurance plans. Here we are again with another of the same.
    Miriam, pushing 60, talking like Kylie. (Sadly, watching the news before Christmas Day, four and five year olds were being asked what they wanted from Santa, they were speaking with that uplift on the last word as in ... a teddy bear?)
    Would you ever think Miriam was a qualified barrister?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,494 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

bobbyss wrote: »

Soon as I heard that line up at 0900........Baaangwent the off button

BOOKS.

Change the record.

Its like listening to a work experience kid on the radio!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Jon Kenny:"Hi Baz, how are you?"
    Fourteen year old: "Yeah, I'm rock n' roll".

Oh just f**k off Baz, come back when you are finished puberty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Its like listening to a work experience kid on the radio!

That's a bit harsh. A work experience kid could probably produce better quality radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

New Year's resolution. Stop listening to this show.
    He was back on this morning, same as usual, Books, Obama etc. He was amazed that Bohemian Rhapsody won best film last night, just because he's not a Queen fan. He started foaming at the mouth then about 'Vice' because, of course it's about US politics.
    Can't listen to it any more. I'll switch over to Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Reading this morning he got another little artist tax exemption for himself this year, for his "wooly jumper" book. There'll be a book every Christmas now no doubt.

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    New Year's resolution. Stop listening to this show.
    He was back on this morning, same as usual, Books, Obama etc. He was amazed that Bohemian Rhapsody won best film last night, just because he's not a Queen fan. He started foaming at the mouth then about 'Vice' because, of course it's about US politics.
    Can't listen to it any more. I'll switch over to Newstalk.

Found myself listening to PK last week. Some good stuff, some very heavy stuff.

Tubbs has a 1 hour show but now sandwiched in the middle of the Monday show will be the sponsored Dancing with the stars segment where he fawns over someone. I switched off then, not before he played a poxy McFly song first!!!!

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Reading this morning he got another little artist tax exemption for himself this year, for his "wooly jumper" book. There'll be a book every Christmas now no doubt.

My god, it's like the entire state just lays out the red carpet for him.

- Book company approaches HIM to write three books. (i.e. for no reason other than to cash in on him being a celebrity)
    - Promote the book on RTE for free.
    - Tesco make a special promotional stand for the book.
    - Tax exemption for the book

And all the genuine Irish writers trying to earn a crust of bread. It's shameful. I knew he was British royalty but I didn't think he was royalty in this country as well.

He's not alone. I thought that scheme was for struggling artists and no people who were on massive salaries anyway

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/rte-stars-among-those-to-receive-artists-tax-break-895924.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,442 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

In fairness, Ryan doesn't try to promote his non-RTE stuff in any way compared to Duffy, McNally, Fíachna etc.

Rumour has it that Ray D'Arsey has an epic tome ready to go as soon as he can figure out how to turn on the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Capt Peacock

PieOhMy wrote: »
    I am curious to know, and maybe some posters who listen to international Radio might be able to answer - but what do similar shows in England/Scotland etc use as content?
    I listen to BBC Radio 2 every day and Jeremy Vine does a topical show similar to Tubridys. He will discuss a handful of issues of the day and have guests who have knowledge on the subject. JV was a journalist and so can ask intelligent questions and can also add light and shade and the show moves along at a nice pace. The show plays music for the 30-60 demographic (E. Costello, Smiths, Squeeze, Jam, Clash etc) which is ok with me. Jeremy Vine is clearly a very competent host who can communicate with guests and members of the public from different backgrounds without being condescending or patronizing.
    Tubridy on the other hand seems totally out of his depth as he is simply not a good communicator or listener with no gravitas and seems stiff and awkward speaking with anyone over the age of 10. The only positive for him is that Ray D'arcy is even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭plodder

Didn't hear all of it, but I thought Tubridy's program was good this morning. Very interesting interview with Vincent Lambe, the director of a short documentary about the Jamie Bolger killers. There was a very negative reaction to the film in the UK and it looks like the media there are terrified of the mob and afraid to tell his side of the story. Quite chilling really. Also, nice chat with the lead singer of Boston band The Drop Kick Murphys. It always struck me as odd that they never developed much of a profile in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

sligojoek wrote: »
    He's not alone. I thought that scheme was for struggling artists and no people who were on massive salaries anyway

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/rte-stars-among-those-to-receive-artists-tax-break-895924.html

Personally I find this disgusting. These 'celebrity' authors are on substantial salaries.

As an ordinary individual producing works of genuine and useful cultural merit I have applied to Revenue for relief under this scheme. And been denied as the scope of my work (cartography) was never listed in the Act setting this up. Appealed and been denied.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Personally I find this disgusting. These 'celebrity' authors are on substantial salaries.

As an ordinary individual producing works of genuine and useful cultural merit I have applied to Revenue for relief under this scheme. And been denied as the scope of my work (cartography) was never listed in the Act setting this up. Appealed and been denied.

Agree with you there Barry, not what the act was set up to help.

Crazy stuff, this stuff should be means tested surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Who buys their books though??? I'd love to know who buys Tubridy's JFK in Ireland, or Des Cahill's book? I'm just after looking up the Irish library catalogue and there are literally hundreds of copies of Tubridy's kids books in the catalogue, as well as JFK in Ireland. Most "on shelf" of course: who would borrow those books??? :D There must be some big scam going on with the Arts council, the publishers, the libraries and the lizard people of RTE :p

Who buys their books though??? I'd love to know who buys Tubridy's JFK in Ireland, or Des Cahill's book? I'm just after looking up the Irish library catalogue and there are literally hundreds of copies of Tubridy's kids books in the catalogue, as well as JFK in Ireland. Most "on shelf" of course: who would borrow those books??? :D There must be some big scam going on with the Arts council, the publishers, the libraries and the lizard people of RTE :p

:eek:

Maybe you have something there.

Des Cahill's book?

I would buy that book to find out about the issue that he had with Joe Duffy, and the insight that he gives us in to the true nature of the man.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/des-cahill-on-up-for-the-match-shakeup-mary-was-being-cool-but-i-had-no-idea-she-was-being-replaced-37344768.html
    He writes: "Some of the press had started calling me 'Son of Gaybo', tipping me to succeed him on radio when he retired, the whole thing genuinely making me feel uncomfortable. If anyone was 'Son of Gaybo' I think it was Joe, he'd been a great reporter on Gay's show, they had a terrific rapport and I would have guessed he would have had Gay's blessing to take over from him. But they went for me."

He writes: "Joe found that difficult, he really hardly spoke to me for the next couple of years, but I always felt he had good reason to feel aggrieved. We got past that, though, we get on well now."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Definitely something for investigation there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The main thing to remember about this odd man is he was more or less gifted his position in RTÉ due to family connections (and of course strong FF links).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement