Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

"the vinyl of Do They Know Its Christmas arrived in as requested"

As requested!!!!

AND an obscure Paul McCartney album! Don’t forget that for the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

MOJ he's channeling Jimmy Stewart now.

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    MOJ he's channeling Jimmy Stewart now.

I think he might have had a third weetabix this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

To be fair to Tubridy, that was a decent interview. Thankfully, he didn’t shoehorn a Toy Show reference in.

Not even hiding it now. I wonder if the contributor to this thread who doubted this stuff happens is listening.

I genuinely think Ryan feeds off this thread :D and ups the game for the show. Toyman? I'll give them Toyman! Requests? I'll give them requests! (Actually I'll keep them)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Tubridy simply has no shame
    Not even hiding it now. I wonder if the contributor to this thread who doubted this stuff happens is listening.
    AND an obscure Paul McCartney album! Don’t forget that for the list!

It's one thing receiving supposedly unsolicited gifts but explicitly requesting stuff for his own personal use (stuff that can be quite easily found) is so clearly unethical - it's unbelievable that he can get away with it.

You'd think he'd be a bit more careful about coming across like a spoiled posh boy.

He seems to really believe that whatever tickles his fancy should be handed to him on a plate. Or else he just enjoys abusing his position and doesn't give a toss what people think.

And you'd have to wonder what kind of fool would cater to his whims and go to the hassle of sending this stuff in. I don't even think it was a record shop looking for a free plug.

I genuinely think Ryan feeds off this thread :D and ups the game for the show. Toyman? I'll give them Toyman! Requests? I'll give them requests! (Actually I'll keep them)

Maybe.

But if all his talk of receiving gifts is trolling, that would mean that he has no problem appearing to be abusing his position in order to wind people up.

Not exactly admirable behaviour in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Should be reported to the BAI.

Not saying they'd do anything, but they'd be obliged to publish the complaint and investigation, I understand.

It's one thing receiving supposedly unsolicited gifts but explicitly requesting stuff for his own personal use (stuff that can be quite easily found) is so clearly unethical - it's unbelievable that he can get away with it.

You'd think he'd be a bit more careful about coming across like a spoiled posh boy.

He seems to really believe that whatever tickles his fancy should be handed to him on a plate. Or else he just enjoys abusing his position and doesn't give a toss what people think.

And you'd have to wonder what kind of fool would cater to his whims and go to the hassle of sending this stuff in. I don't even think it was a record shop looking for a free plug.

I honestly believe he doesn’t think he’s doing anything wrong or inappropriate, it just comes from a sense of entitlement after 30+ years of having your every whim and fetish catered to and never being told ‘no’. He likely feels entitled to extra bits on the side such as freebies as the work he does in keeping up the nation’s spirits :rolleyes: is worth a hell of a lot more than the paltry pittance of €500,000 he is paid annually for his 8 or so hours weekly work schedule 40 weeks a year. I’m not even being sarcastic here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

"the vinyl of Do They Know Its Christmas arrived in as requested"

As requested!!!!

Tubridy is from a social class that gets what it wants. He has never had to pine after something; his family were wealthy and connected enough that he got it, be it Christmas presents or a summer job in RTE.

He knows the value of nothing, he’s never had to work hard to get something and when he has it he makes no effort at it as it cost him no sweat to get it.

The fact that he requests something from listeners that he could very easily purchase is indicative of this; why make an effort when someone else does.

I didn’t see this years Toy Show but on previous ones when a toy broke he often threw it away. It’s just the inner child in him. If I had a broken toy as a kid I’d take it to my Dad or Granduncle as we had a value on stuff. He doesn’t.

If he was English he’d belong to some Earldom or connected family; Eton, Oxbridge and a cushy Job in the city in the office of a friend of the family where he can do no harm.

In Ireland he got a job for life in the PS handed to him. But he still embarrasses himself by asking for freebies.

I actually don’t envy him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Is there any hope that Tubridy requests this stuff and then donates them to charities, good causes etc etc

No, I'm not new here :)

I do hope he has an audit trail beacuse the alternative that he keeps them is well, a bit OiRTEish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The gifts are to RTE not to the presenter. Of course the hierarchy in there determines who gets first choice on what. Very little trickles down to the ordinary worker there, maybe the odd pot of jam or something.

Shay Healy on Rising Time often gets sent cakes but has let it known that it ends out on a table in the canteen.

As an example, The LLS often gives out freebies, as a company you are asked to give in more than people in the audience. The excess goes to the great and the good in RTE.

I’ve a former colleague who worked in hotel promotion, she told me this and an even more nefarious trick that they have. It’s petty but a PS body shouldn’t be doing it. Problem is it’s been going on for so long that it’s part of the fabric in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭stopthevoting

KevRossi wrote: »
    The gifts are to RTE not to the presenter. Of course the hierarchy in there determines who gets first choice on what. Very little trickles down to the ordinary worker there, maybe the odd pot of jam or something.

Shay Healy on Rising Time often gets sent cakes but has let it known that it ends out on a table in the canteen.

As an example, The LLS often gives out freebies, as a company you are asked to give in more than people in the audience. The excess goes to the great and the good in RTE.

I’ve a former colleague who worked in hotel promotion, she told me this and an even more nefarious trick that they have. It’s petty but a PS body shouldn’t be doing it. Problem is it’s been going on for so long that it’s part of the fabric in there.

That is Shay Byrne on Rising Time.
    What is the other nefarious trick? (if you can say)

KevRossi wrote: »

I’d eat my hat if a middle manager or even Dee 4bes herself approached Bryan and attempted to take his copy of “Do They Know It’s Christmas” or any of his other freebies off him.

The gifts are requested and intended for him, not RTE, judging by his comments.

The vinyl was specifically requested for his own personal collection.

He did make some half-hearted offer to pay for it but this was clearly a token gesture and he knows full well it will be sent in free.

If he were prepared to pay for it himself he would have just bought it and then waffled about it afterwards.

The gifts are requested and intended for him, not RTE, judging by his comments.

The vinyl was specifically requested for his own personal collection.

He did make some half-hearted offer to pay for it but this was clearly a token gesture and he knows full well it will be sent in free.

If he were prepared to pay for it himself he would have just bought it and then waffled about it afterwards.

To Ryan the business fraternity listenership is his (free, inclusive of postage) Amazon.

Section 2.2 of the RTE Code of Business Conduct is worth a read.

It's worded in such a way as to leave him a lot of wriggle room, as would be expected.

I can't seem to cut and paste from it, but here's the link.

https://about.rte.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Code-of-Conduct-RT%C3%89-Staff.pdf

With direct (very short) flights to Iceland, there is little doubt he will be on board one as soon as vaccinated, for which he proposes to show us all as a national example to have it done ASAP on LLS. Iceland is particularly popular at Easter (been twice myself at Easter) with weather being OK and yet the Northern Lights still to be seen sometimes. Roads are usually clear of snow, it's not overly cold, nice for outdoor hot water bathing in the volcanic pools, some absolutely delicious lamb in season, warming hot bowls of mutton soup (Iceland's Irish stew) for lunch, nice warm hotels. There's an Irish person I met somewhere on holidays who runs an upmarket b&b in Keflavik, maybe he'll stay with her and make a thing of it, if he's not staying in the 5 star suites nearby, the only such hotel in the country.

They would actually have a lot of time for him over there, they like to chat about books, and as a nation of people have the patience of Job. I remember going on a day trip down south, and the bus waited for an Irish couple to make up their minds whether they were going or not. They declined, only to change their minds half an hour after the bus departed. We returned to Reykjavik to pick them up. They are resilient people, used to changing plan as dictated by weather, and it seems, human nature. Tubridy will get on well there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

With direct (very short) flights to Iceland, there is little doubt he will be on board one as soon as vaccinated, for which he proposes to show us all as a national example to have it done ASAP on LLS. Iceland is particularly popular at Easter (been twice myself at Easter) with weather being OK and yet the Northern Lights still to be seen sometimes. Roads are usually clear of snow, it's not overly cold, nice for outdoor hot water bathing in the volcanic pools, some absolutely delicious lamb in season, warming hot bowls of mutton soup (Iceland's Irish stew) for lunch, nice warm hotels. There's an Irish person I met somewhere on holidays who runs an upmarket b&b in Keflavik, maybe he'll stay with her and make a thing of it, if he's not staying in the 5 star suites nearby, the only such hotel in the country.

They would actually have a lot of time for him over there, they like to chat about books, and as a nation of people have the patience of Job. I remember going on a day trip down south, and the bus waited for an Irish couple to make up their minds whether they were going or not. They declined, only to change their minds half an hour after the bus departed. We returned to Reykjavik to pick them up. They are resilient people, used to changing plan as dictated by weather, and it seems, human nature. Tubridy will get on well there.

The rte / tuttle credit card will encourage some kindness too.

Just watching the Den. Would Tubridy & Darcy not collaborate with a mixture of The Den & Tubridy doing his thing with books/visiting schools etc and interviewing children. A regular program, it could actually be very good with both presenters in their niche. In late November it could become The Toy Show... with emphasis on toys, books etc, and coming right up to Christmas a Santa show with, with some room for performing kids in shows coming up to Christmas.

• Advertisement

Section 2.2 of the RTE Code of Business Conduct is worth a read.

It's worded in such a way as to leave him a lot of wriggle room, as would be expected.

I can't seem to cut and paste from it, but here's the link.

https://about.rte.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Code-of-Conduct-RT%C3%89-Staff.pdf

Extracts (all from Section 2.2) refer:
    1. Guiding Principles (iv),
    2. Policy (iv), and,
    3. Monetary Value (iii)

Apologies for the messy screengrab, posted via a virtual client and hosted on an old google album -never seen a locked down pdf before, aren't RTE efficient?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EVA2y2ndUff9rChz9

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Extracts (all from Section 2.2) refer:
    1. Guiding Principles (iv),
    2. Policy (iv), and,
    3. Monetary Value (iii)

Apologies for the messy screengrab, posted via a virtual client and hosted on an old google album -never seen a locked down pdf before, aren't RTE efficient?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EVA2y2ndUff9rChz9

That says 'staff'. It doesn't mention contractors.

Going by those guidelines (taking that they might apply to a contractor equally) Ryan is going against the rules when he solicits stuff. Some of the soliciting is blatant, but mostly for things of a quite low monetary value, such that it would very likely be regarded as "petty" to complain about it. We would hear that it was being done "in the show's tradition of supporting small businesses".

The more insidious soliciting is the bigger problem, like a trip to Iceland, which is on his personal bucket list for a holiday. He could easily afford a few days there, even though it is an expensive destination, but sure if you are being paid for and it becomes part of your work, all the more dosh and all the more time for other breakeens away, and if it is a place he would fancy repeat visits to on a personal basis, then forging the valuable professional links could make things all the sweeter. Discount rates at certain hotels, with certain tour companies, extension visits to Greenland, the front seat in the plane etc. But he just keeps saying he'd like a trip some day very soon, putting it out there for a holiday supplier to come forth, and write the expensive of funding him to part of the tax deductible expense of advertising.

Personally speaking I'd actually enjoy watching him on a televised trip to Iceland, simply because I've been there and liked the place. That is, if a proper program were made of it, not two minutes of Ryan posing in Reykjavik Library.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭littlevillage

RCK1 wrote: »
    Probably in a minority here liking the show nuy I text in an odd time and he read my texts out. On a few occasions his researcher rang me asking me to come on to discuss my text. Either I was working and couldn't or the show ran out of time so never actually spoke to him on air. I'm definitely not some big RTE insider or someone who'd be over excited. It be natural they vet people somehow before they go on the natural airwaves to a few 100 thousand people. I have bumped into him on a number occasions and he is very nice.

Well said Ryan..... Errrm sorry RCK1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Ryan's had a rough weekend - Callan in for the day.

Another break-een for the hardworking talent in RTE.............

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

This child sounds as hyper as Tubridy!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Who is this?

Another poor me couldn’t do anything to help meself other than drink and drugs..

walshb wrote: »
    Who is this?

Another poor me couldn’t do anything to help meself other than drink and drugs..

Don't know who he is, only half listening, but sounds like a cut&paste of any other number of sporting people who phone in telling of their addictions. I think it is part of the self-therapy, telling the world... maybe it's a very good thing and inspires others, but is tedious to majority of listeners, and a bit frustrating for listeners with addicted family members who have made no attempts to seek help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Don't know who he is, only half listening, but sounds like a cut&paste of any other number of sporting people who phone in telling of their addictions. I think it is part of the self-therapy, telling the world... maybe it's a very good thing and inspires others, but is tedious to majority of listeners, and a bit frustrating for listeners with addicted family members who have made no attempts to seek help.

Sounds like he went on a bender for a few weeks and is dragging it out to make out he was like Oliver fooking Reed or something..

Odd interview...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement