Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Surprised that song would be so offensive to everybody - it's a very nice song. The most McCartney like song ever that was never written by McCartney.

Sure, they can can't be seen to say anything positive. It is not that that type of thread. It is for people who want want to vent and give out, not enjoy the show.Listened to the song there it does sound very McCartney-esque.

Makes for entertaining reading though, the same posters get so annoyed! :D

Is this where I add 'so to speak' or 'THAT' in the post to be part of the gang? ;)

I think I have yet to laugh a 'THAT' or 'so to speak' post yet.
    Was the in joke ever funny?

To be honest. I laugh at the posters though - the obsession, the frustration, the anger, the freebie lists!!! They hate the show, but listen avidly! There must be some name for it psychologically.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Sure, they can can't be seen to say anything positive. It is not that that type of thread. It is for people who want want to vent and give out, not enjoy the show.Listened to the song there it does sound very McCartney-esque.

Is this where I add 'so to speak' or 'THAT' in the post to be part of the gang? ;)

To be honest. I laugh at the posters though - the obsession, the frustration, the anger, the freebie lists!!! They hate the show, but listen avidly! There must be some name for it psychologically.

Cool story bro.

FYI, “so to speak” is a Joe Duffy expression so to speak, not Tubs.

What’s the name for people who follow threads to give out about posters giving out about presenters?

FYI, “so to speak” is a Joe Duffy expression so to speak, not Tubs.

I know which makes it even more pathetic imo.

• Advertisement

What’s the name for people who follow threads to give out about posters giving out about presenters?

I don't know but is fun to do. No stress watching other people stress, over something trivial on a very regular basis.

I don't even have to listen to the show. In fact this thread is more entertaining than the show itself. I can almost predict it only after a short while.

Plus is even funnier when you juxtapose the serious nature of things in the world at moment. I suppose it is a study of the human condition watching people stress over the trivial. Using Tubridy as the focal point for their frustrations while clearly having zero respect for the man, or the show itself, or regular listeners who like the show. It is fascinating to watch.

I don't know but is fun to do. No stress watching other people stress, over something trivial on a very regular basis.

I don't even have to listen to the show. In fact this thread is more entertaining than the show itself. I can almost predict it only after a short while.

Plus is even funnier when you juxtapose the serious nature of things in the world at moment. I suppose it is a study of the human condition watching people stress over the trivial. Using Tubridy as the focal point for their frustrations while clearly having zero respect for the man, or the show itself, or regular listeners who like the show. It is fascinating to watch.

Why do think people are stressed by it? Do you not think it (unintentionally of course) brightens up some people’s day with the Patridge-esque musing of the SoCoDu Boy-Man who’s never worked a day in his life?

Why do think people are stressed by it? Do you not think it (unintentionally of course) brightens up some people’s day with the Patridge-esque musing of the SoCoDu Boy-Man who’s never worked a day in his life?

Well that is another subset those who listen to Tubridy 'ironically'. I am mean you used the phrase 'boy-man' there. You clearly don't respect the fella and don't really enjoy the show. Yet listen avidly with the utmost attention. In fact you might even listen to the same show a few times in case you missed anything?

If you 'enjoy' it this way, and it brightens your day fair enough. I find it odd though, to listen to something you don't like.

Whatever passes the day or time I suppose no harm done. But by listening to a show you do not like aren't you in fact perpetuating it? Increasing listenership figures, while the core Tubridy listenership actually enjoy it, with less angst - probably a better word than stress.

In this thread it almost seems that anyone who actually enjoys the show is frowned upon, or is seen as not 'playing the game'. That is my impression, curious to watch.

I would say this thread is actually more attentive to the show than those who actually enjoy it. The analysis is forensic and every word is poured over.

Tubridy might be overpaid as some argue, but Jayus people on this thread are getting as much value as they can out of it!

Well that is another subset those who listen to Tubridy 'ironically'. I am mean you used the phrase 'boy-man' there. You clearly don't respect the fella and don't really enjoy the show. Yet listen avidly with the utmost attention. In fact you might even listen to the same show a few times in case you missed anything?

If you 'enjoy' it this way, and it brightens your day fair enough. I find it odd though, to listen to something you don't like.

Whatever passes the day or time I suppose no harm done. But by listening to a show you do not like aren't you in fact perpetuating it? Increasing listenership figures, while the core Tubridy listenership actually enjoy it, with less angst - probably a better word than stress.

In this thread it almost seems that anyone who actually enjoys the show is frowned upon, or is seen as not 'playing the game'. That is my impression, curious to watch.

I would say this thread is actually more attentive to the show than those who actually enjoy it. The analysis is forensic and every word is poured over.

Tubridy might be overpaid as some argue, but Jayus people on this thread are getting as much value as they can out of it!

Boy-Man is a play on words on Toy-Man, a nickname he bestowed upon himself. Note: you don’t give yourself a nickname in the real world, it’s given to you.

Anyway, why do you think I don’t enjoy the show? I enjoy it for the reasons I’ve stated, in the same way I enjoy Alan Partridge or The Office etc. It’s cringe humour, yet what took Steve Coogan and Ricky Gervais decades to master, Tubs delivers daily and effortlessly. The fact he’s oblivious to this adds a “delicious” fire extra topping to the car crash pie he bakes daily for us.

Boy-Man is a play on words on Toy-Man, a nickname he bestowed upon himself. Note: you don’t give yourself a nickname in the real world, it’s given to you.

Anyway, why do you think I don’t enjoy the show? I enjoy it for the reasons I’ve stated, in the same way I enjoy Alan Partridge or The Office etc. It’s cringe humour, yet what took Steve Coogan and Ricky Gervais decades to master, Tubs delivers daily and effortlessly. The fact he’s oblivious to this adds a “delicious” fire extra topping to the car crash pie he bakes daily for us.

So basically Tubridy is providing valuable entertainment for you no matter how you look at it. It is just the nature of the manner of the enjoyment that has me a bit baffled - 'cringe humour'. I get the Alan Partridge reference. But surely people who actually enjoy the show for what it is are oblivious to all of this?
    As it is not the shows intent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

You make some interesting points in this, and subsequent posts.

However, as one of the compilers of the "Freebie List", I'll just say this as to my motivation:

It's my view that the touting for, and receiving of, free goods is a flagrant abuse of position. There is no other workplace that I know of where this would be tolerated from any employee/contractor. None.

Feel free to give this "obsession" any psychological name you care, but there it is.

Have a great Christmas.

So basically Tubridy is providing valuable entertainment for you no matter how you look at it. It is just the nature of the manner of the enjoyment that has me a bit baffled - 'cringe humour'. I get the Alan Partridge reference. But surely people who actually enjoy the show for what it is are oblivious to all of this?
    As it is not the shows intent.

You can hardly say he's providing valuable entertainment when it's completely unintentional. I (and I suspect may others) am laughing at him, not with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 QuantumLad

he's nice

Continuing PieOhMy's sterling service:

Freebies list since 23 September 2020

Freebie Request List:

Trip to Iceland
    Quiet Coffee Maker
    Knife sharpener
    Turntable Mat (received amongst other record player accessories)
    Original Copy (and artwork) of Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas single (received in return for Arnotts Gift Card)
    World’s Biggest Selection Box (as seen in a child’s hands)

Freebie Received List:

Free Unknown volume of books
    Free Bespoke jewellery x 2
    Free Essential oils for mask
    Free Buns from Bewleys
    Free Trip on the Irish Navy ship
    Free 8 Glasses cases
    Free Accessories for vinyl record player
    Free Flowers
    Free Yop, Fruit of the Forest and Yakult
    Free Holland and Barrett supply
    Free Calm App
    Free Scents of Ireland commercial air diffuser and scents
    Free Epicurean Delights (i.e. Grub)
    Free Watercolour
    Free Candles
    Free Book about Elvis' comeback in 68
    Free Waterford Famine Buke
    Free Pints
    Free Sweets from Shandons
    Free Loose leaf tea
    Free Bread knives
    Free Candles possibly wickless candles
    Free Teapot
    Free Vinyl record (Beatles/McCartney)
    Free Tea brack
    Free Cards
    Free More cards (rejected - Catholics need not apply)
    Free Halloween masks
    Free Cufflinks (monogrammed for Tubridy, of course)
    Free Fudge
    Free Southern Star newspaper
    Free Opinion magazine
    Free Print from book (gorgeous, apparently)
    Free Crisps and Earplugs
    Free Greetings cards
    Free Beatles book
    Free Bottle with fairy lights
    Free Hot Chocolate Bomb
    Free Personalised Christmas Stocking
    Free Novelty Mug
    Free Handmade Scarf (moss green in colour, and long)
    Free multiple handmade Christmas Cards
    Free John Banville Book (delivered personally to him while shopping)
    Free Barack Obama autobiography (extremely large and heavy)
    Free box of Lindt chocolates (only 8 in box, Tubs not happy)
    Free Face mask from Chester Beatty
    Free Books
    Free Paul McCartney poster
    Free Aerial photography coffee table book
    Free Christmas jumper
    Free Waterford Festive Star (a magazine)
    Free Holly Bough (a Cork annual)
    Free Santa Beard Face Mask
    Free Chocolates from Bean & Goose (called out paucity of Lindt in their freebie, again)
    Free Art from Trish Taylor Thompson (something visual)
    Free Books (from “listener” doing her Marie Kondo clearout)
    Free Shandon Sweets, again
    Free invite to chess convention
    Free Lighthouse Book
    Free chess lessons
    Free Book (Elf Isolation)
    Free crate of Club Orange
    Free Bag of Marbles, (but no "steelies", much to Tubs' chagrin)
    Free Ireland's Own Annual
    Free Band Aid vinyl single, with beautiful artwork (Tubridy checked artwork was included, before accepting it).
    Free Paul McCartney - Back in the CCCP vinyl album.
    Free Box of Turf
    Free Puffin Christmas Decorations
    Free Puffin Christmas Cards
    Free Puffin T Shirt
    Free Meal in Kilmore Quay
    Free Motivational Quote Cards
    Free Book (Dauntless Courage)
    Free CD
    Free Personal Guided Tour of St Patrick's Cathedral.
    Free Hand crafted Gin
    Free Crystal Glasses set
    Free Cocktails
    Free Craft Beer Selection
    Free Visit to brewery
    Free "County Mayo in a Jar" x 2 (Wool, Shells, etc)
    Free Vintage 1955 Comic (original copy)
    Free Personalised Water bottle
    Free White Vinyl Christmas record
    Free Handmade Cards

A big TYFYS to those who flag the freebies, and the requests.

Freebie Request List:

Trip to Iceland
    Quiet Coffee Maker
    Knife sharpener
    Original Copy (and artwork) of Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas single (received in return for Arnotts Gift Card)

Freebie Received List:

Free Buns from Bewleys
    Free 8 Glasses cases
    Free Flowers
    Free Calm App
    Free Watercolour
    Free Candles
    Free Pints
    Free Loose leaf tea
    Free Bread knives
    Free Teapot
    Free Tea brack
    Free Cards
    Free Halloween masks
    Free Fudge
    Free Opinion magazine
    Free Crisps and Earplugs
    Free Greetings cards
    Free Beatles book
    Free Hot Chocolate Bomb
    Free Novelty Mug
    Free Books
    Free Christmas jumper
    Free Chocolates from Bean & Goose (called out paucity of Lindt in their freebie, again)
    Free Lighthouse Book
    Free chess lessons
    Free Band Aid vinyl single, with beautiful artwork (Tubridy checked artwork was included, before accepting it).
    Free Box of Turf
    Free Puffin T Shirt
    Free CD
    Free Hand crafted Gin
    Free Crystal Glasses set
    Free Cocktails
    Free Visit to brewery
    Free Handmade Cards

Have you tried contacting the suppliers of the above freebies. Maybe the thread should set up a thing where the most thanked post on the thread per month wins all of the above. Or best post as voted for by the loyal Tubridy listeners on boards.ie or something?

Have you tried contacting the suppliers of the above freebies. Maybe the thread should set up a thing where the most thanked post on the thread per month wins all of the above. Or best post as voted for by the loyal Tubridy listeners on boards.ie or something?

Do you genuinely see nothing wrong with him soliciting freebies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I don't think anyone has a problem with Ryan getting freebies. The problem is the free promotion he offers in return.

My problem is that Dee Forbes has repeatedly said that RTE has a shortfall in advertising revenue.

Why buy an advert when you can just send a something into Ryan and get a segment out of it. The license payer is the one losing out. We are asked to make up the shortfall in lost revenue.

I don't think anyone has a problem with Ryan getting freebies. The problem is the free promotion he offers in return.

My problem is that Dee Forbes has repeatedly said that RTE has a shortfall in advertising revenue.

Why buy an advert when you can just send a something into Ryan and get a segment out of it. The license payer is the one losing out. We are asked to make up the shortfall in lost revenue.

Good post, Bellbottoms

The issue with Ryan Tubridy Show is that it seems to have evolved from something that would not particularly entertain me (and I wouldn't deny anybody else their tastes) and that wouldn't get my attention much in any case; to something that seems to be spiralling into utter Lewis Carrollian circles of the mind which are everyday recurrent. It doesn't seem to even pretend to have continuity any more. I'm almost in the verge of considering that there may be serious issues afoot that may need winding things down.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Freebie Request List:

Trip to Iceland
    Quiet Coffee Maker
    Knife sharpener

Freebie Received List:

Free Buns from Bewleys
    Free 8 Glasses cases
    Free Flowers
    Free Calm App
    Free Watercolour
    Free Candles
    Free Pints
    Free Loose leaf tea
    Free Bread knives
    Free Teapot
    Free Tea brack
    Free Cards
    Free Halloween masks
    Free Fudge
    Free Opinion magazine
    Free Crisps and Earplugs
    Free Greetings cards
    Free Beatles book
    Free Hot Chocolate Bomb
    Free Novelty Mug
    Free Books
    Free Christmas jumper
    Free Lighthouse Book
    Free chess lessons
    Free Box of Turf
    Free Puffin T Shirt
    Free CD
    Free Hand crafted Gin
    Free Crystal Glasses set
    Free Cocktails
    Free Visit to brewery
    Free Handmade Cards

Coming on Christmas Eve, a big supply of free jam.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't lie awake thinking about it. But I assume those people giving any freebies benefit from them far more than Tubridy does. Product placement mention of businesses and so on. Also I assume most if all of those Freebies are given away to staff or whatever. Radio stations are given all sorts of crap to plug. Plus people in the public eye are normally given free stuff anyway because brands and businesses would be delighted to see xyz person using it.

It is a strange dichotomy famous rich people getting free stuff. I suppose it is an old fashioned way of how 'influencers' on social media are given free stuff to wear them online or mention them.

But the way people are talking on here, it is is as if they are equating it to a teacher getting a year's supply of red and blue biros. And a sponsored car or something. It is not the same industry and it would be stupid to equate the two.

There is also loads of product placement in films and so on. Again in the media industry. I don't find it that odd at all if I am honest.

I wouldn't lie awake thinking about it. But I assume those people giving any freebies benefit from them far more than Tubridy does. Product placement mention of businesses and so on. Also I assume most if all of those Freebies are given away to staff or whatever. Radio stations are given all sorts of crap to plug. Plus people in the public eye are normally given free stuff anyway because brands and businesses would be delighted to see xyz person using it.

It is a strange dichotomy famous rich people getting free stuff. I suppose it is an old fashioned way of how 'influencers' on social media are given free stuff to wear them online or mention them.

But the way people are talking on here, it is is as if they are equating it to a teacher getting a year's supply of red and blue biros. And a sponsored car or something. It is not the same industry and it would be stupid to equate the two.

There is also loads of product placement in films and so on. Again in the media industry. I don't find it that odd at all if I am honest.

Not remotely comparable and you know it (re. films). Also Tubs is asking for specific items.

And I doubt the “staff” get anything but the discarded leftovers after Tubs has his choice.

I do have to laugh at your sponsored car comment AS Tubs back when he did Tubridy Tonight had a Lexus as a brand ambassador. When he got handed TLLS, he asked Lexus for an upgrade. The absolute focking entitlement of the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I wouldn't lie awake thinking about it. But I assume those people giving any freebies benefit from them far more than Tubridy does. Product placement mention of businesses and so on. Also I assume most if all of those Freebies are given away to staff or whatever. Radio stations are given all sorts of crap to plug. Plus people in the public eye are normally given free stuff anyway because brands and businesses would be delighted to see xyz person using it....

Do you really see nothing wrong with the culture of gift-giving that Tubridy so shamelessly pushes on his show?

That is absolutely fúcking nuts.

Do you really see nothing wrong with the culture of gift-giving that Tubridy so shamelessly pushes on his show?

That is absolutely fúcking nuts.

Happens in the media based industry all the time, how are you going to change a culture? It is just the way the world works. People in the media get given stuff. It gets mentioned and they are happy.
    It not as if he is asking for land rezoning from a local politician, in return for a few pots of jam and candles.

Happens in the media based industry all the time, how are you going to change a culture? It is just the way the world works. People in the media get given stuff. It gets mentioned and they are happy.
    It not as if he is asking for land rezoning from a local politician, in return for a few pots of jam and candles.

Some interesting points here, and in your earlier comments.

I don't believe you can legitimately compare Tubridy's Freebies with product placement in films. Indeed, even soaps use that method now. For example, Coronation Street, Fair City and Ros na Run use it, and even incorporate some of the placement into their storylines (particularly in the case of "sponsored" retail outlets).

However, and this is the critical difference, the funding model is entirely disparate and transparent. This product placement is a direct result of a formal, recorded and regulated financial transaction.

You correctly point out that "celebs" get free stuff sent to them, in the hopes of getting some benefit from it. The appropriate place for the quid pro quo is in said celeb's personal life, their personal social media, or one of the all too frequent puff pieces in the Sunday Indo, for example. Not on the airwaves of the Public Service Broadcaster.

What's next? Bryan Dobson mentioning, just before he grills a Govt Minister, that he is sporting a tie kindly sent in by Kennedy McSharry? George Lee calling out his latest monogrammed cufflinks from Weirs, as he drills down on the COVID trends? Ingrid Miley being complimented on her hairdo courtesy of Peter Mark, prior to talking about the latest ballot for strike action from INTO?

And that is what Tubridy is doing. Day in, day out. An average of twice daily. Unchecked by Dee Forbes, or anyone else in Montrose.

It's wrong, it stinks and it should stop. In my opinion, that is.

Merry Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Just woke up with a hangover and turned on the radio. Joe fcukin Duffy. I thought I overslept.

You are absolutely right. But that is paid for. If I am GM I pay whomever makes the transformer films a ton of cash. I don't find one of the cast mates and give them a GM water bottle.

Product placement is fine. As long as it's paid.

You are using a false equivalent when you talk about local or commercial radio stations. They are all private industries and if they can't pay there bills the station goes under.

One of the justifications for payng RTE contractors so much money is that they attract advertising. But who is going to pay for an advert when they can just send Ryan a freebie.

There is an expectation on a quid pro quo for the sender.

If RTE can't meet its budget for the year. No problem we will go with the begging bowl to the government.

And if I am honest I finding it a little disgusting that someone as well paid as Ryan would solicit freebies on air.

It's also raises other ethical questions and is bordering on corruption.

I don't believe you can legitimately compare Tubridy's Freebies with product placement in films. Indeed, even soaps use that method now. For example, Coronation Street, Fair City and Ros na Run use it, and even incorporate some of the placement into their storylines (particularly in the case of "sponsored" retail outlets).

However, and this is the critical difference, the funding model is entirely disparate and transparent. This product placement is a direct result of a formal, recorded and regulated financial transaction.

You correctly point out that "celebs" get free stuff sent to them, in the hopes of getting some benefit from it. The appropriate place for the quid pro quo is in said celeb's personal life, their personal social media, or one of the all too frequent puff pieces in the Sunday Indo, for example. Not on the airwaves of the Public Service Broadcaster.

What's next? Bryan Dobson mentioning, just before he grills a Govt Minister, that he is sporting a tie kindly sent in by Kennedy McSharry? George Lee calling out his latest monogrammed cufflinks from Weirs, as he drills down on the COVID trends? Ingrid Miley being complimented on her hairdo courtesy of Peter Mark, prior to talking about the latest ballot for strike action from INTO?

And that is what Tubridy is doing. Day in, day out. An average of twice daily. Unchecked by Dee Forbes, or anyone else in Montrose.

Merry Christmas.

I didn't see this post before I made mine. You have succinctly covered all of the points I wanted to make.

It is very difficult to make a good faith argument defending Ryan's practices on the show.

He wouldn't get away with it on a commercial station. And shouldn't be getting away with it on a public broadcaster.

Merry Christmas.

What actual benefit is Tubridy getting from these items? Have you totted up the value of these items. A lot of it seem like crap stuff as far as I can see.
    Also as for media people use personal media to get personal products it already happens.

You mention George Lee, Ingrid Miley and Bryan Dobson the crucial difference between those and Tubridy is that they are Newsreaders and by virtue of that fact have a certain level of behaviour they have to maintain. Also News Reading is not a light entertainment show suitable for product placement. You will notice that when RTE use tablets and ipads the logos are masked.

As for the list of freebies itself. I would argue it achieves absolutely nothing other than providing some sort of cathartic release for those who are annoyed by it. If you really wanted to see results RTE have a complaints department where all complaints are logged no matter how big and small. Wouldn't that be a much more sensible use of energy?

I mean compiling such a list much take an incredible amount of effort and attentiveness. Wouldn't it be far easier to go to the following site?
    https://about.rte.ie/contact/complaints/

It might not be as much fun? Or it might not get the same reaction on this thread. But you might get a more detailed response on the issues you seem to have.

I also believe that Santa has a complaints department, if the he does not deliver the proper presents. We should be thankful we live in a modern communication age, where contact never has been easier.

• Advertisement

What actual benefit is Tubridy getting from these items? Have you totted up the value of these items. A lot of it seem like crap stuff as far as I can see.

That is completely not the point, as I suspect you well know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement