Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

What actual benefit is Tubridy getting from these items? Have you totted up the value of these items. A lot of it seem like crap stuff as far as I can see.
    Also as for media people use personal media to get personal products it already happens.

You mention George Lee, Ingrid Miley and Bryan Dobson the crucial difference between those and Tubridy is that they are Newsreaders and by virtue of that fact have a certain level of behaviour they have to maintain. Also News Reading is not a light entertainment show suitable for product placement. You will notice that when RTE use tablets and ipads the logos are masked.

As for the list of freebies itself. I would argue it achieves absolutely nothing other than providing some sort of cathartic release for those who are annoyed by it. If you really wanted to see results RTE have a complaints department where all complaints are logged no matter how big and small. Wouldn't that be a much more sensible use of energy?

I mean compiling such a list much take an incredible amount of effort and attentiveness. Wouldn't it be far easier to go to the following site?
    https://about.rte.ie/contact/complaints/

It might not be as much fun? Or it might not get the same reaction on this thread. But you might get a more detailed response on the issues you seem to have.

I also believe that Santa has a complaints department, if the he does not deliver the proper presents. We should be thankful we live in a modern communication age, where contact never has been easier.

It seems no matter what people say you are son entrenched in your position on this you are not for swaying.

I'm not going to debate this any further with you, but I will leave you with one final point. On assuming her role a number of years ago one of Dee Forbes' promises was to cut down on "advertising leakage" on RTE. She has not only failed to curtail that, it appears to have increased under her watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It seems no matter what people say you are son entrenched in your position on this you are not for swaying.

I'm not going to debate this any further with you, but I will leave you with one final point. On assuming her role a number of years ago one of Dee Forbes' promises was to cut down on "advertising leakage" on RTE. She has not only failed to curtail that, it appears to have increased under her watch.

Have you made a complaint to RTE about it, or just complained on boards.ie?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

You are absolutely right. But that is paid for. If I am GM I pay whomever makes the transformer films a ton of cash. I don't find one of the cast mates and give them a GM water bottle.

Product placement is fine. As long as it's paid.

You are using a false equivalent when you talk about local or commercial radio stations. They are all private industries and if they can't pay there bills the station goes under.

One of the justifications for payng RTE contractors so much money is that they attract advertising. But who is going to pay for an advert when they can just send Ryan a freebie.

There is an expectation on a quid pro quo for the sender.

If RTE can't meet its budget for the year. No problem we will go with the begging bowl to the government.

And if I am honest I finding it a little disgusting that someone as well paid as Ryan would solicit freebies on air.

It's also raises other ethical questions and is bordering on corruption.

Again if you feel that strongly about it. The RTE complaints department is there for a reason.

Also the broadcasting commission of Ireland

https://www.bai.ie/en/viewers-listeners/complaints/

They will let you know if it contravenes any of their codes or standards

https://www.bai.ie/en/codes-standards/

Have you made a complaint to RTE about it, or just complained on boards.ie?

I have actually, as have others, one of whom posted the reply they received a few pages back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

W

SNIP

If you really wanted to see results RTE have a complaints department where all complaints are logged no matter how big and small. Wouldn't that be a much more sensible use of energy?

I mean compiling such a list much take an incredible amount of effort and attentiveness. Wouldn't it be far easier to go to the following site?

It might not be as much fun? Or it might not get the same reaction on this thread. But you might get a more detailed response on the issues you seem to have.

Is it 1st April? Get a response from complaints made to RTE? That’s hilarious.

As to the motivation behind keeping such a list, here we go again!

It was only when I saw this list that I realised just how relentless and embedded into the programme this touting for, and receiving of freebies was. I then decided to continue keeping an approximate record of the freebies. I was going to cease “duties” in the New Year but, in light of the reaction, I may well continue, time permitting. Either way, I’m not doing it to curry favour with anyone, here on Boards or elsewhere, contrary to your insinuation.

In relation to the value of the freebies, let’s put it this way. I doubt Tubridy has had to buy any gifts for anyone outside of his family this year.

Nice work if you can get it, to quote Count Basie and Francis Albert Sinatra. I’m sure Tubridy would approve.

Merry Christmas.

• Advertisement

Is it 1st April? Get a response from complaints made to RTE? That’s hilarious.

I have complained to RTE before and go lengthy replies - RTE sports. In fact I know that they log any complaints and they are all read. Giving out to yourselves on a boards.ie thread might be fun. But it is fairly fruitless. I am not sure how long it has been going on for, but it clearly is not making any difference other than killing a bit of time? If you believe there is a large enough cohort with the same views what not send emails individually on the same issue.
    Or would that be thinking?

Merry Christmas to yourself as well!

I have actually, as have others, one of whom posted the reply they received a few pages back.

Fair enough can you link it?

Fair enough can you link it?

Are you too lazy to scroll back through the thread yourself?

I have complained to RTE before and go lengthy replies - RTE sports. In fact I know that they log any complaints and they are all read. Giving out to yourselves on a boards.ie thread might be fun. But it is fairly fruitless. I am not sure how long it has been going on for, but it clearly is not making any difference other than killing a bit of time? If you believe there is a large enough cohort with the same views what not send emails individually on the same issue.
    Or would that be thinking?

Merry Christmas to yourself as well!

I've sent many complaints to RTE over the years.

Now it may be different for sports, but I can assure you that for Radio aside from a generic pre-prepared cut & paste reply I haven't received anything else back by way of reply. This would be despite the fact on many occasions I wrote back and asked for a detailed reply addressing all of the points I raised in my original email or letter AS A LICENCE FEE PAYER.

Complaining to Radio is in my considerable experience, a complete waste of time. But nonetheless in order to make a complaint to the BAI, one has to go through that step first.

FWIW, I emailed my complaint re. Tubs and Freebies over 10 days ago. I haven't even received an acknowledgment yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,488 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I've sent many complaints to RTE over the years.

Now it may be different for sports, but I can assure you that for Radio aside from a generic pre-prepared cut & paste reply I haven't received anything else back by way of reply. This would be despite the fact on many occasions I wrote back and asked for a detailed reply addressing all of the points I raised in my original email or letter AS A LICENCE FEE PAYER.

Complaining to Radio is in my considerable experience, a complete waste of time. But nonetheless in order to make a complaint to the BAI, one has to go through that step first.

FWIW, I emailed my complaint re. Tubs and Freebies over 10 days ago. I haven't even received an acknowledgment yet.

And you won’t.

You would be better off writing out your complaint, tearing it up, and tossing it out the window.

You will ease your anger, save money on the stamp, and the only risk is a littering fine, which as we all know is extremely rare.

• Advertisement

Are you too lazy to scroll back through the thread yourself?

Yeah. You do post a lot on it, in fairness.

I did find a post which seemed to cover a reply from RTE (not from ButtersSuki though)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115639264&postcount=7780

Which in itself seems to negate a lot of the 'RTE complaints' snide remarks on this thread that it is a waste of time they never reply.

I only complained to RTE once and got a reply, the above poster complained and they got a reply.

I am starting to wonder if it is the tone of the complaints that are the problem. Making it appear as if it is a crank looking for a wind up?

The reply to the above poster seemed a fairly reasoned reply, from what I could make of it anyway.

I found RTE's sponsorship guidelines:

https://mediasales.rte.ie/planning/tcs-policies/rte-broadcast-sponsorship-guidelines/

Make of that what you will.

I found RTE's sponsorship guidelines:

https://mediasales.rte.ie/planning/tcs-policies/rte-broadcast-sponsorship-guidelines/

Make of that what you will.

Yes, but we’re not talking about sponsorship here.

One way or the other the Ryan Tubridy Show, •in my opinion• is a repetitive meaningless shambles, and I have yet to personally meet an individual who has a good opinion on it. I have a family connection who was on as a guest, whom Ryan seems to have forgotten all about subsequently, as his attention span is very limited for a broadcaster. It's hospital radio standard presented by somebody highly overpaid simply because of family connections and some enthusiasm on his part. The show is actually spiralling into itself as time goes by, and sounds more fake and phoney by the day. It has no place on the national broadcaster.

Many broadcasters divide opinion, but I simply and honestly have not heard of a complimentary opinion from any person I know or have met where talk of the radio would enter the conversation... and incidentally not led by me because out and about I'm usually focussed on other things altogether. It's really only here on this forum I do much thinking about radio content. I would have to admit to being a serious content junkie rather than a lover of light entertainment, though I very much appreciate comedy & wit of a reasonably good standard. Even poor comedy is ok with me if I am really stressed and want to empty my brain of all intellect for a moment.

He is a square peg in a round hole on this show, it is cringeworthy to listen to for me. It's not (intentional) comedy, it's not paid advertising, it's not convincing me of any depth or sincerity, it doesn't uplift me, and I only catch it sometimes to comment on here. I do, however, think Ryan could be a very adept presenter on a recorded out-and-about type program, as he has the required confidence, is a good speaker, and can convey enthusiasm. I just think the program is not the right fit for him, for RTÉ and an awful lot of listeners.

My Christmas wish this year is that some time in 2021 Terry’s (or perhaps a small local Irish newsagent which would be more to Bryan’s liking) could donate around 200 short-dated chocolate oranges to complete the transformation into Partridge. He did (a la Partridge) at one time have a Japanese Mercedes (Lexus) given to him by the manufacturers as he was a brand ambassador for their brand for some time, so really the chocolate oranges is the next logical step.

My Christmas wish this year is that some time in 2021 Terry’s (or perhaps a small local Irish newsagent which would be more to Bryan’s liking) could donate around 200 short-dated chocolate oranges to complete the transformation into Partridge. He did (a la Partridge) at one time have a Japanese Mercedes (Lexus) given to him by the manufacturers as he was a brand ambassador for their brand for some time, so really the chocolate oranges is the next logical step.

My last car was a Lexus, caller. The wee one. Refined and dat, but didn't carry me stuff the way the Toyota CH-R does. It's a real couple's or singleton's little SUV, has all the leather heated seats and luxuries you might want, an excellent rear view camera and super air conditioning, especially appreciated by menopausal ladies & gentlemen on treatment. Neither have any acceleration worth speaking about, but you could put the Lexus into sport mode which simply made it feel dangerous. Super mileage & reliability of what is ultimately the basic Prius engine set-up. I did consider a used Volvo as I worked with a main dealer's wife.

One way or the other the Ryan Tubridy Show, •in my opinion• is a repetitive meaningless shambles, and I have yet to personally meet an individual who has a good opinion on it. I have a family connection who was on as a guest, whom Ryan seems to have forgotten all about subsequently, as his attention span is very limited for a broadcaster. It's hospital radio standard presented by somebody highly overpaid simply because of family connections and some enthusiasm on his part. The show is actually spiralling into itself as time goes by, and sounds more fake and phoney by the day. It has no place on the national broadcaster.

Many broadcasters divide opinion, but I simply and honestly have not heard of a complimentary opinion from any person I know or have met where talk of the radio would enter the conversation... and incidentally not led by me because out and about I'm usually focussed on other things altogether. It's really only here on this forum I do much thinking about radio content. I would have to admit to being a serious content junkie rather than a lover of light entertainment, though I very much appreciate comedy & wit of a reasonably good standard. Even poor comedy is ok with me if I am really stressed and want to empty my brain of all intellect for a moment.

He is a square peg in a round hole on this show, it is cringeworthy to listen to for me. It's not (intentional) comedy, it's not paid advertising, it's not convincing me of any depth or sincerity, it doesn't uplift me, and I only catch it sometimes to comment on here. I do, however, think Ryan could be a very adept presenter on a recorded out-and-about type program, as he has the required confidence, is a good speaker, and can convey enthusiasm. I just think the program is not the right fit for him, for RTÉ and an awful lot of listeners.

My auld dentist late 50's early 60's used to have Tubridy on all the time, in the waiting area. And again in the surgery area. Basically giving his opinions on what was on at the time.
    While I said 'ah-uh-uh'. Younger dentist now has taken me as a patient in the same practice, he plays a trendy music station, the whole dentist experience is completely different!

I don't really think this thread is the demographic it is aimed at. What you would call the demographic I have no idea! But, it is definitely not this thread that is for sure!

Edit: I found something that explains the Tubridy/Ray Darcy demographic:

"Entertainment Shows on RTÉ Radio 1 produced in house during the week
    include the Ryan Tubridy Show and The Ray Darcy Show and we are looking to
    commission a programme run of six shows of similar high quality and topicality that
    will appeal to the RTÉ Radio 1 audience in particular the 35-54 year old
    demographic"

https://static.rasset.ie/documents/radio/rte-irp501-r1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Im back after my ban...just in time for christmas!

The way Tubridy has been the whole year with the coronavirus has been disgusting.... telling everyone everything will be fine for christmas....now the same sh1te with the vaccine....

Wheres the apology or accountability for his lies?

He has no credibility....how anyone can feel comfortable with paying the licence fee while he pockets 500k annually is beyond me....

All I want for christmas is for Tubridy to p*ss off to the BBC or anywhere outside Ireland so we dont have to suffer his sermons and false empathy anymore....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Don Duck

RTE could so easily dispense with Tubridys services, put Today with Claire Byrne on for 3 hours 9 till Noon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

There's a place for an easy going slot between MI and CB. Tubbs can't do that. At the start he has to be preaching to us or telling us it's gonna be alright. All aimed at women and children on the school run. Then you have all the sad human interest stories for the women get home to cry in their kitchens.

Constant repetition of the same words. What's the reason for that?

The other day on the main evening news programme Sarah and Cormac had Jenn "I've seven kids of all ages and stages" Hogan on telling us what board games her children like. This is the type of thing Tubbs or Darcy should be doing.

I had John Creedon on today whilst making preparations for the Christmas dinner. Absolute classic easy listening, it was just the homely sort of thing I needed on a Christmas Day. I'm quite a person like John is hugely a family man and and that it was some inconvenience to his life to do the stint, although with Covid restriction etc he probably thought it was a practical thing to do this year. He emanates "kindness" and positivity simply by virtue of his very calming personality, and I understand not everyone can be like this. And he doesn't have to harp on about death & misery. Any recollection, tributes, remembrance is conveyed with empathy by default, there's no lecturing us ever.

I've had many a little story of mine read out by John over the years, he retweets stuff I send, I once used a show he was hosting to find a new home for an old wet suit. Today I'm reminded of a little communication with him. He asked if anybody had encountered blue coloured food, and would it be appetising etc. I sent a quickly reply about making bright purple mash from Scottish "blue" potatoes, hand enjoyed some blue crisps, which he read out. Today I had included some purple mash with my Christmas dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

I don't think the BBC would be too interested in him I think his talent lies with children's TV. He would be excellent at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

"So Tommy, are all your grandparents still alive, and if not, why not?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I don't think the BBC would be too interested in him I think his talent lies with children's TV. He would be excellent at it.

So little Jimmy...i heard you had cancer....and your sister had a leg amputated and your dad died in a car accident?

Dont worry little Jimmy, I'll give you a 5 minute slot on the Toy Show next year....thatll make your life better...

I know, I am a national treasure...no need to thank me......

Ryan Tubridy

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

So little Jimmy...i heard you had cancer....and your sister had a leg amputated and your dad died in a car accident?

Dont worry little Jimmy, I'll give you a 5 minute slot on the Toy Show next year....thatll make your life better...

I know, I am a national treasure...no need to thank me......

Ryan Tubridy

By contrast, John Creedon might say "you've had your your share of troubles in life, the world can be a harsh place, but we'll up the mood for now so we can all find a little respite..."

The BBC couldn’t afford to pay him what RTÉ do.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

The BBC couldn’t afford to pay him what RTÉ do.

They could afford it ok,their just not stupid enough to pay that much for so little productivity.

They could afford it ok,their just not stupid enough to pay that much for so little productivity.

I KNOW DAT! I KNOW DAT! I KNOW DAT!

I was being facetious so to speak.

• Advertisement

Im back after my ban...just in time for christmas!

The way Tubridy has been the whole year with the coronavirus has been disgusting.... telling everyone everything will be fine for christmas....now the same sh1te with the vaccine....

Wheres the apology or accountability for his lies?

He has no credibility....how anyone can feel comfortable with paying the licence fee while he pockets 500k annually is beyond me....

All I want for christmas is for Tubridy to p*ss off to the BBC or anywhere outside Ireland so we dont have to suffer his sermons and false empathy anymore....

I think changing channel could save you a lot of stress? Unless the dial is broken?

Unless you view yourself as the radio equivalent of a food critic who has to go into a restaurant, and critique the food. I don't really see the point to get so worked up about something, that does not really effect you. And you do not have to have to listen.
    If a large majority of people feel the same way and switch off, eventually it will mean no more Tubridy. Until then he will remain there for a while yet.

In fact in 2019 according to the JNLR figures:

https://radiotoday.ie/2019/05/jnlr-facts-and-figures-for-latest-radio-listening-figures/

Tubridy's listenership figures were 328k with an increase of 3k.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement