Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I think changing channel could save you a lot of stress? Unless the dial is broken?

Unless you view yourself as the radio equivalent of a food critic who has to go into a restaurant, and critique the food. I don't really see the point to get so worked up about something, that does not really effect you. And you do not have to have to listen.
    If a large majority of people feel the same way and switch off, eventually it will mean no more Tubridy. Until then he will remain there for a while yet.

In fact in 2019 according to the JNLR figures:

https://radiotoday.ie/2019/05/jnlr-facts-and-figures-for-latest-radio-listening-figures/

Tubridy's listenership figures were 328k with an increase of 3k.

That is good advice, which i have in fact carried out...i dont regularly listen or watch the DLB for the sake of my mental wellbeing....

Unfortunately, He invades my sphere of tv/radio consumption from time to time and my immediate emotion is disdain and anger....

I come to this thread to vent...and it works...

I feel better telling the universe of my disgust at his undeserved, grossly overpaid salary....

Thats all...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

That is good advice, which i have in fact carried out...i dont regularly listen or watch the DLB for the sake of my mental wellbeing....

Unfortunately, He invades my sphere of tv/radio consumption from time to time and my immediate emotion is disdain and anger....

I come to this thread to vent...and it works...

I feel better telling the universe of my disgust at his undeserved, grossly overpaid salary....

Thats all...

Fees caller, fees.

Peasants and the great unwashed are paid salaries, upon which they are taxed at significantly higher rates than fees funneled through a one man shell company created for the sole purpose of tax avoidance. To quote another Fianna Fáil man “You should try it sometime”.

Fees caller, fees.

Peasants and the great unwashed are paid salaries, upon which they are taxed at significantly higher rates than fees funneled through a one man shell company created for the sole purpose of tax avoidance. To quote another Fianna Fáil man “You should try it sometime”.

Apologies caller,

His grossly overpaid and undeserving fee....

I think changing channel could save you a lot of stress? Unless the dial is broken?

Unless you view yourself as the radio equivalent of a food critic who has to go into a restaurant, and critique the food. I don't really see the point to get so worked up about something, that does not really effect you. And you do not have to have to listen.
    If a large majority of people feel the same way and switch off, eventually it will mean no more Tubridy. Until then he will remain there for a while yet.

In fact in 2019 according to the JNLR figures:

https://radiotoday.ie/2019/05/jnlr-facts-and-figures-for-latest-radio-listening-figures/

Tubridy's listenership figures were 328k with an increase of 3k.

By same token, changing thread might also ameliorate stress in those upset by comments herein.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 weedened

By same token, changing thread might also ameliorate stress in those upset by comments herein.

The same result might be achieved with an unbiased moderator...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

weedened wrote: »

Nope.

The mod has enforced the rules as required (I know cos she has told me off at least once) and also makes an obvious effort to find positive things to say about Tubridy (he's confident, articulate, good with kids, etc) to give some contrast to the negative views of most posters.

I imagine it isnt easy to find anything good to say about the show because it is so utterly shít by any standards.

So fair play to her.

Marty Morrissey yesterday....kathryn thomas today.....

Whoever is hanging around RTE gets to fill in for tubridy so??

And the most amazing thing is....its far better than having the DLB there!

And more importantly to the bean counters....far more cost effective......

Note to Dee Forbes, dont come crying looking for more licence fee money when you still pay Ryan Tubridy 500k while at the same time pulling anyone in from the rte canteen to fill in his slot....AND THEY END UP DOING A BETTER JOB THAN HIM!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Note to Dee Forbes, dont come crying looking for more licence fee money when you still pay Ryan Tubridy 500k while at the same time pulling anyone in from the rte canteen to fill in his slot....AND THEY END UP DOING A BETTER JOB THAN HIM!!!

But why replace a Contractor with a Contractor if RTE are cash strapped?
    Kathryn Thomas is a Contractor and is no doubt paid handsomely for filling in for Tubridy..at least Marty Morrissey is a staffer and is paid from his regular wage.
    It makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Turned on rte for the first time in weeks, caught the 10.00 news,then came the luckiest person in the world, immediately turned off again. Maaawm !!;)

You could describe me as biased in that I have found that I cannot warm to the Ryan Tubridy Show. I could never warn to the flavour of haggis, so I could be described as being biased against it by that token. I am a bit fascinated by radio and food among other things, so I give it all a go, and give it all a go again as dislikes can turn into likes occasionally. I have warmed to stuff I haven't initially liked, I always take several approaches to everything and sometimes find an angle I like. I think possibly Ryan Tubridy Shoe in its format has more than than its course. However I accept some folk genuinely find it a bubbly interlude after the harsh news of the morning, and I only wish more people who appear here in support of this for a bit of genuine honest balance. They haven't appeared in any numbers so far, but a few who have resorted to abuse, sometimes disgusting foul personal abuse of moderator by pm. I don't state that here much in the thread much. They are no longer posting for obvious reasons. There are a few reasoned non-abusive posters with counter views who post here occasionally and are very welcome. I appreciate genuinely held counter views to be seen here.

People who oppose will naturally go so, and I snip anything I see that might be under the belt, I sanction people and invariably get some sort of pm, thankfully not usually abusive. I also do also understand that anybody personally close to Ryan might feel the need to defend his honour, that's totally what we are all about as humans. I always believe he is a thoroughly decent guy, a wonderful father; here I speak of the particular national broadcasting output platform he is on. I just don't think it is the right one for him, and I keep saying I'd be glued to the TV if I saw him doing something along the lines that Manchán Magan might do. I love Derek Mooney on the wildlife, where he truly found his niche. I think Ryan has real talent... but for another show. In a million years I could never hope to be as articulate as him.

• Advertisement

19 posts am with an intimate knowledge of the various threads he/she is complaining about?

Let’s play guess the re-reg!

Just for you: :rolleyes:

19 posts am with an intimate knowledge of the various threads he/she is complaining about?

No implying anybody by any posters here that any other poster has rereged please. Admins deal with this when it raises its head in a significant way so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Not sure I'd describe him as being especially articulate.

He regurgitates a lot of nonsense words that are intended to make him sound intellectual but actually sound ridiculous.

E. G. Bonkers, intriguing, peculiar, a sense of, delicious, gorgeous.

The other day he said "there's a lot of beaten docketry about". That's abysmal.

He does a fair bit of incoherent mumbling and often doesn't finish sentences or thoughts. A lot of what he says is pure waffle like the stuff about the famine making us all give money to LLS appeals. Utter nonsense he has heard someone else say and thinks it will make him sound clever.

He laughs in a sort of deranged way mid sentence, or before speaking and its sometimes difficult to figure out what he's supposed to be laughing at.

Overall he's about as articulate as any average person and he is clearly not stupid, but his use of language is ridiculous and his general lack of substance leads him to talk unintelligible ****e a lot of the time.

No implying anybody by any posters here that any other poster has rereged please. Admins deal with this when it raises its head in a significant way so to speak.

Apologies. Message received.

I agree with catman...id love to have more pro Tubridy supporters on here justifying his €500,000 a year fee....

I doubt these people exist....

Because no matter how "kind" or "wonderful" you believe the DLB to be, the 500k simply cannot be justified...

I agree with catman...id love to have more pro Tubridy supporters on here justifying his €500,000 a year fee....

Because no matter how "kind" or "wonderful" you believe the DLB to be, the 500k simply cannot be justified...

That's another thing, top contractors' pay in RTE is quite absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

Not the first time you have accused somebody who doesn't hold you view of being a multiple poster or re-reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭golondrinas

That's another thing, top contractors' pay in RTE is quite absurd.

Agree. There are more than 1800 staff in R.T.E.

Over 600 of these are on COVID payments.

Before , some of us thought the amount of the tax payers money “ thrown “ at the station was staggering . Now this. With the amount of rerun after rerun being broadcast ,shown at the moment there must be a case for a serious cull of deadwood.:confused:

Agree. There are more than 1800 staff in R.T.E.

Over 600 of these are on COVID payments.

Before , some of us thought the amount of the tax payers money “ thrown “ at the station was staggering . Now this. With the amount of rerun after rerun being broadcast ,shown at the moment there must be a case for a serious cull of deadwood.:confused:

When was Christmas ever different on RTÉ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭golondrinas

When was Christmas ever different on RTÉ? :D

I think you mean anytime.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Marty Morrisey Monday
    Kathryn Thomas Tuesday

Oliver Callan instead of the DLB today....

Why have tubridy back at all?.....his stand ins are doing the same sh1te he does.....and for alot cheaper...

The tubridy supporters must be having cold sweats not getting their daily dose of kindness and gorgeous fake messages and emails....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Marty Morrisey Monday
    Kathryn Thomas Tuesday

Oliver Callan instead of the DLB today....

Why have tubridy back at all?.....his stand ins are doing the same sh1te he does.....and for alot cheaper...

The tubridy supporters must be having cold sweats not getting their daily dose of kindness and gorgeous fake messages and emails....

Have to ask.
    DLB ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Dainty
    Little
    Bugger

Nice to get all of Xmas off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,488 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

There is one..... goes by the name of Forbes.

Doesn’t seem to be many more, I’m told.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I'll have to stop the car and burst out sobbing when he comes back with his kindness, gorgeous.... etc etc etc.

Just wait and hear him telling us about what an amazing christmas he had when he gets back....

Reading by the fireside
    Fireside chats
    Board games
    Zoom calls with friends of the show

Just generous, bonkers, wonderful and kindness with close family...

A whimsical and magical christmas....

500k please....

KevRossi wrote: »
    I'll have to stop the car and burst out sobbing when he comes back with his kindness, gorgeous.... etc etc etc.

Even the sad story today didn't come with an added dose of text tears. Oliver comes across as not trying too hard, that's the point here.

KevRossi wrote: »

When you think if it, this could be a very dangerous situation on the motorway, if people are so frequently incapacitated from driving by what one hears on the Ryan Tubridy Show. The RSA should get into it ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did I hear OC say he'll be back on Monday and Tuesday next week?

That's some break Tubs is taking.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Dainty
    Little
    Bugger

Nice to get all of Xmas off.

To be clear DLB is a reference from how he was described by a mischievous guest on LLS. Though it was indeed said on the show, it comes across as a bit too personal and degrading, below the belt, and detracts and distracts from the arguments presented about the way the show is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement