Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

One thing I’ve noticed about Tubridy

For such a central RTÉ personality he seems quite unpopular with his audience

Think to yourself -when’s the last time (if ever) you have heard someone say I love Ryan Tubridy radio show or for that matter his tv activities???

To me it seems some ppl coldly tolerate him but that’s the height of it. Disdain or indifference is the main response to him.

And as well Lot of ppl cannot stand him and actively avoid his broadcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

One thing I’ve often noticed about Tubridy

Think to yourself -when’s the last time (if ever) you have heard someone say I love Ryan Tubridy radio show or for that matter his tv activities???

To me it seems some ppl coldly tolerate him but that’s the height of it. Disdain or indifference is the main response to him.

Good point there,Beech, well put.

Good point there,Beech, well put.

I mean, almost all the central RTÉ personalities over the years had genuine warmth from their audiences. I mean the likes of gay Byrne mike Murphy Gerry Ryan Pat Kenny.

Tubridy doesn’t have anything like the same rapport with the audience.

Unless I’m missing something? I’m trying to be unbiased as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I mean, almost all the central RTÉ personalities over the years had genuine warmth from their audiences. I mean the likes of gay Byrne mike Murphy Gerry Ryan Pat Kenny.

Tubridy doesn’t have anything like the same rapport with the audience.

Unless I’m missing something? I’m trying to be unbiased as possible.

I find it hard to relate to him. I don’t think I’m stupid but when I’m listening to him, I feel like I don’t want to read that book he is oohing about, I don’t want to go to that place he is oohing about, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,927 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

One thing I’ve often noticed about Tubridy

I can’t stand Tubridy and avoid his shows at all costs.
    He acts as if he’s programmed like a wee robot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ian Dempsey said tubridy would be "found out" after he got the LLS gig. Indeed he was found out almost immediately.... But yet here we are 10years later still being found out on a daily basis

Ian Dempsey said tubridy would be "found out" after he got the LLS gig. Indeed he was found out almost immediately.... But yet here we are 10years later still being found out on a daily basis

Didn’t realise that Ian Dempsey said that but it rings true.

Dempsey is far more accomplished as a broadcaster than him as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Could be wrong but I think he's more popular with the women?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

BarryD2 wrote: »

Well he tries his best. The majority of his guests are women with women related issues.

The other morning: "Margaret Heffernan, the matriarch of Dunnes stores. Matriarch, now there's a great word."

Imagine saying "Patriarch is a great word" and seeing twitter explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

BarryD2 wrote: »

No no and no again. can't stomach him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

BarryD2 wrote:

Not this woman!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

"You are now officially a frien-diddly-end of the show"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Heard this morning where he was interviewing the actress from the Line Of Duty show. Left with that same feeling that I'm left with after many of his interviews - i.e. was it not possible to carry out this interview with a bit of humility, without licking the dirt off their boots, without nauseatingly agree with the guest and plamásing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Heard this morning where he was interviewing the actress from the Line Of Duty show. Left with that same feeling that I'm left with after many of his interviews - i.e. was it not possible to carry out this interview with a bit of humility, without licking the dirt off their boots, without nauseatingly agree with the guest and plamásing them.

Anybody that Ryan does an interview with gets a soft ride. You know except Peter Casey who will know when Ryan is angry and he will let him know!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

In fairness they all do that. Norton is particularly prone to it. He guffawks at any old self important actor or actress. It's part of his job.

Library fm in full effect again this morning

Talking rubbish about Harry Potter then on to a boring anecdote about how he missed one of John boynes books when it was published but he’s reading it now and loving it.

Stealing a living.

His target audience seems to be

Well off, absolutely obsessive readers of novels, with plenty of time on their hands,

who really dislike modern technology and modern life in general

• Registered Users Posts: 72,643 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Ryan has made no secret of his hatred for the ‘Fifty Shades’ books.

This should be good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Intriguing 2 Bonkers 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

amlinopta wrote: »
    Intriguing 2 Bonkers 1

He was intrigued at a book he has no interest in. Peculiar.
    Points this morning also for, Obama, Trump, acting like a child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,624 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ryan has made no secret of his hatred for the ‘Fifty Shades’ books.

This should be good :D

I only caught a couple of minutes of his interview with E.L. James.

Well? Did he have the balls to say how much he thought her book was absolute tripe?

Or did he back out?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭amlinopta

First bonkers of the day at 9.06

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bm_1212

there was also a "Bizarro" in the middle of his pseudo intellectual sermon about how he cant get into marvel films and is struggling with game of thrones

He must spend every waking hour outside the studio reading books and watching tv/movies

Or else he’s bluffing I suppose.

Marvel should listen to tubs and break endgame into a 4 part Netflix mini series instead of the biggest movie of all time :)

Ryan's not a GAA fan. There must be a death involved in this story.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Ryan's not a GAA fan. There must be a death involved in this story.

You could tell he was reading the notes for the rest of the show during that

Never took Ryan for a Ritchie Blackmore Rainbow fan

Edit. He's not

Talking rubbish about Harry Potter then on to a boring anecdote about how he missed one of John boynes books when it was published but he’s reading it now and loving it.

Stealing a living.
    Not only did not read it when it was published, he didn't bother reading it when intewrviewing John Boyne about it.

I thought the whole defence of presenter's salaries relative to their broadcasts, is how much time they have to spend researching content and doing other prep.

John Boyne is (and no offence to the man) no Samuel Beckett. His books are easy to read, the kind of books that people read at the beach. I thought it came off as really unprofessional, not to mention discourteous, that Tubridy hadn't bothered to read a book that was being discussed in an interview.

I'm sure Tubridy isn't the only one who doesn't bother reading his guests' books, but it does seem a little unbothered. If even the interviewer can't be arsed reading the book, why should the rest of us bother listening to his interview?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Not only did not read it when it was published, he didn't bother reading it when intewrviewing John Boyne about it.

I thought the whole defence of presenter's salaries relative to their broadcasts, is how much time they have to spend researching content and doing other prep.

John Boyne is (and no offence to the man) no Samuel Beckett. His books are easy to read, the kind of books that people read at the beach. I thought it came off as really unprofessional, not to mention discourteous, that Tubridy hadn't bothered to read a book that was being discussed in an interview.

I'm sure Tubridy isn't the only one who doesn't bother reading his guests' books, but it does seem a little unbothered. If even the interviewer can't be arsed reading the book, why should the rest of us bother listening to his interview?

I thought Boyne has a bit of an attitude on him in that interview...bit aggressive
    and preachy for my taste.

Fond of smelling himself was the outcome I got in fairness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement