Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

I thought Boyne has a bit of an attitude on him in that interview...bit aggressive
    and preachy for my taste.
    Maybe so, but perhaps if Tubridy had put in the basic groundwork, he could have engaged or challenged Boyne a little more usefully.

I don't see the point of interviewing someone about a book that you haven't bothered to read as part of your research. I don't see the point of listening to such an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm still laugh at the Michael Jackson piece interviewing Oliver twist...

"now, your sperm" said tubs

• Registered Users Posts: 72,643 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Ryan ‘doesn’t give a flying flute what people think about him’...says the guy who quits twitter and lambasts social media because of the howibble, howibble things they says.

(Apologies for link to Scum newspaper)

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/tv/4047966/rte-ryan-tubridy-duet-daniel-o-donnell-late-late-country-special/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,962 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

He has the perfect face and skinny greyhound body.... for RADIO!

I'm not a fan so neither listen to him on radio nor watch him on TV. But I don't watch TV anyway.

Best of luck to him, great gig, five hours a week on radio, and a couple of hours on TV on a Friday night for the guts of half a mill euros per annum. Or whatever it is. Well done, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

The thing about Tubs is that he's a lot younger than his media persona. Could well be around for another 30 years. Isn't that a nice thought :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

...Best of luck to him, great gig, five hours a week on radio, and a couple of hours on TV on a Friday night for the guts of half a mill euros per annum. Or whatever it is. Well done, well done.

A good bit less than 5 hours when you take into account the pointless reading out of the newspapers, the ad breaks, the songs, the uninteresting tangents about nothing in particular.

The show generally entails about 20 minutes of coherent discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Ryan ‘doesn’t give a flying flute what people think about him’...says the guy who quits twitter and lambasts social media because of the howibble, howibble things they says.

This really annoys me. Basically he is lumping a lot of reasonable criticism about just how bad he is at presenting the late late show in to the same category as basement trolls. The truth is that he is a terrible TV presenter, and it is completely valid to be critical of a) his poor performances as presenter (particularly in serious political interviews), b) the fact that he is paid an absolute fortune for being mediocre, and c) the fact that RTE have given him the show seemingly for life, with no possibility of him being moved on.

“If they want me to sing a song or whistle dixie, I’ll just go for it because life is too short."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

She's been reading the Tubbs manual.

I like that.

I get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

the pointless reading out of the newspapers, the ad breaks, the songs, the uninteresting tangents about nothing in particular.

That's the "froth and frippery"

• Advertisement

I think it’s his sheer utter laziness that contributes so much his poor repute. He can turn on a bit of faux enthusiasm for an hour or so in the hopes it satisfies all that he is worth his salt, the rest of the time is his, his and only his. He’s not going to do a jot extra work-related effort outside of his allotted studio time. D’Arcy and Duffy are in the same boat; nothing extra for no extra dosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,643 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

country-442_90570005.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

country-442_90570005.jpg

:D
    We should just post the RTE tax cheque to Tubridy Towers & cut out the middle man!

Nice hatstand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

sligojoek wrote: »
    Nice hatstand
    There is more life in a hatstand!

Nice hatstand

He looks like spyragyra

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

BarryD2 wrote: »
    The thing about Tubs is that he's a lot younger than his media persona. Could well be around for another 30 years. Isn't that a nice thought :)

Ryan Tubridy is 45 years old. So there's not a chance he'll be 'around' for another 30 years. He may live long and prosper (forgive the sci-fi reference) and good luck to him, but there's not a chance he'll make it to 75 on radio and tv as he is at present.

Radio & tv are evolving rapidly with far from certain futures and as much as RTE rail against any form of progress or change they will have to as well as they flounder miserbly in so much of their daily output. Gaybo hung around like a bad smell for decades as both he and RTE were afraid of their lives for change. Yes Gay Byrne was irritating as hell, often patronising and downright strange at times but he was also a highly accomplished broadcaster and journalist and had a genuine interest in his guests as per the often reported detailed research. However his career was more of an anomaly. There is no more Montrose 'lifers' or indeed in any other major organisation of that ilk.

There is not a soupçon of evidence that Tubridy has either the smarts or the work ethic to be any good in his profession and the signs are there that he is not. He is a smarmy chancer with a penchant for swindling fools into believing his own hype. 300K listerners plus for willowy, surreal and utterly pointless radio is hard to credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Tubs should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Gaybo

Nice hatstand

Would you have it in your hallway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭robo

Tubs should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Gaybo

Why not - aren't they both a bit condescending?

• Advertisement

I think one key about Tubridy is that all this plamás and bootlicking is a put on, it's not his natural self, but something more Machiavellian.

If you look at the video with Andy Ruane you see more of the guy's natural personality. Sarcastic, arrogant and critical. You would never hear him speak in a similar way about an Irish book today. I would say that he read "How To Make Friends And Influence People" shortly after doing this. The whole nice guy thing is a put on, and no doubt he uses the same charm offensive on the bosses in RTE, because the fact that he is still the LLS host is more a testament to how much he is liked in RTE management than to how good he is at the job.

It's time for a change on the late late. He's had his go, and he's been terrible. If people want to claim he's great at the Toy Show then fine, move him in to Children's TV presenting full time, with Children's TV presenter's wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Wow,proof if ever it was needed that Tubbs was actually born aged 35.

Jumping jiminy !!!

He celebrated his 70th birthday 35 years later.

How intriguing !!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I think one key about Tubridy is that all this plamás and bootlicking is a put on, it's not his natural self, but something more Machiavellian.

If you look at the video with Andy Ruane you see more of the guy's natural personality. Sarcastic, arrogant and critical. You would never hear him speak in a similar way about an Irish book today. I would say that he read "How To Make Friends And Influence People" shortly after doing this. The whole nice guy thing is a put on, and no doubt he uses the same charm offensive on the bosses in RTE, because the fact that he is still the LLS host is more a testament to how much he is liked in RTE management than to how good he is at the job.

It's time for a change on the late late. He's had his go, and he's been terrible. If people want to claim he's great at the Toy Show then fine, move him in to Children's TV presenting full time, with Children's TV presenter's wages.

I didn't see anything terribly wrong with that interview. It seemed to be pitched for the audience. No sarcasm or arrogance that I detected. Both positive and negative criticism provided.
    He was too dismissive of one book; could have explained his reasons. Hardly a hanging offence. If anything it was too short and more visuals of the book contents would have been helpful.
    (PS Never knew that's was where Ryan did his apprenticeship.)

Tubridy: "But unfortunately the marriage didn't last"
    Guest: "We're still together actually"

That's research for you there people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Tubridy: "But unfortunately the marriage didn't last"
    Guest: "We're still together actually"

That's research for you there people.

Why did you leave out the bit immediately after that where she said that's a myth that unfortunately has got out there .

SPDUB wrote: »
    Why did you leave out the bit immediately after that where she said that's a myth that unfortunately has got out there .

That makes it worse, tubs taking myths at face value.........

Any Kennedy fanboy worth his salt would know the story.

On another note, I spent a lovely 20 minutes chatting to Ms Kennedy and Paul Hill back in 92/ 93 in Tramore at one of Vince Power's Fleadhs. They were great crack.

SPDUB wrote: »

I actually think that that is more demonstrative of the research that Tubridy does. A quick google, find the wiki page, and that's the job done. The guest will be so enamored by Tubridy's tongue licking their boots clean that they will not be offended by such discrepancies anyway. But it is not proof of good research.

Dublin, Ireland

Just in case anyone thinks he's broadcasting from Dublin, USA

• Advertisement

Dublin, Ireland

Just in case anyone thinks he's broadcasting from Dublin, USA
    In fairness to Ryan Tubridy, he's wonderful at using language to capture a mood or tone. I've always thought he'd make a fine satirical poet.

I don't know the context of "Dublin, Ireland", but radio communication isn't always about imparting information. What Tubridy does best is establishing a particular tone, or poking fun at everyday absurdity, with his own "peculiar" voice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement