Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bm_1212

a gorgeous day, a gorgeous bookshop with gorgeous books, a gorgeous story...gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Books again first thing this morning.

Nothing particularly interesting about books, of course - just a reminder about how many books he buys, his book shelves and how great reading is.

And of course he links this in to how bad social media is and how great he is for not using them.

Snore-fest.

This morning he managed to insult Sarah McTiernan. First he says she did her best, what a pity she didn’t get to finals. In next breath he says we’ll have to up our game by going for a better quality song and a better quality singer. All to be chosen via the platform of the LLS. Of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

This morning he managed to insult Sarah McTiernan. First he says she did her best, what a pity she didn’t get to finals. In next breath he says we’ll have to up our game by going for a better quality song and a better quality singer. All to be chosen via the platform of the LLS. Of course.

I knew his game straight away... Not only is he casually arranging a late late special but also floating the idea of a country song...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,625 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Books again first thing this morning.

Nothing particularly interesting about books, of course - just a reminder about how many books he buys, his book shelves and how great reading is.

And of course he links this in to how bad social media is and how great he is for not using them.

Snore-fest.

Heard that yesterday morning.

Did you hear him rip Thomas Harris' new book to shreds? Worst book of the year he said. Awful.

Unless of course he had Thomas in studio or on the phone, then he'd be as nice as pie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Red Fred

I laughed at his comment that it wouldn't be economically viable to hold a national song contest and in the next breath said that a large cheque should be offered to the winner. Perhaps he has a large cheque or two lying about that he could spare!!

NIMAN wrote: »
    Heard that yesterday morning.

Did you hear him rip Thomas Harris' new book to shreds? Worst book of the year he said. Awful.

Unless of course he had Thomas in studio or on the phone, then he'd be as nice as pie.

Didn't catch that bit, I zoned out after books... the book wasnt intriguing enough for him perhaps! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Another book love fest this morning.

Hope Tubbs brought spare shorts with him after creaming himself again.

Another book love fest this morning.

Hope Tubbs brought spare shorts with him after creaming himself again.

I heard him read the email from someone whose daughter bought a book recently. The perfect cue for him to launch into his trademark patronizing speech about how important it is for kids to read.

What is it that would drive someone to unleash this painful crap day in, day out? I suppose he thinks it makes him sound wise or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

He thinks he's going to single handedly get all kids off smartphones.

He's pissing against the wind.

I notice his latest phrase de jour is
    Kind man
    Kind person
    Kind thing to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I dont mind it so much but to go on and on and ON about books!

Give it a rest, you are only on for an hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

.........If you look at the video with Andy Ruane you see more of the guy's natural personality. Sarcastic, arrogant and critical......

Of course the personality of a 15 year old is their true personality and they never mature or change. Many, many teenagers are moody, cranky, rebellious and even criminal. They grow out of it in their twenties.

According to you, Ryan hasn't out grown whatever you think you see here, he is just masking it and fooling us all - except you.

I don't see anything wrong with this video you looked for. Should he have come on and said all the books were great.

I see a guy who obviously likes books and is confident enough to talk on TV about it at a very young age.

You see a guy who shouldn't have got the opportunity he got back then - or now, shouldn't be on the wages he makes and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

I'm sure she did do her best. It is a pity she didn't get to the final. But it wasn't good enough, so we will have to do much better next time. I don't see the problem with that statement. In fact, the professional juries and televoting all agreed. I don't see any insult there.

We came last in our semi-final and had the lowest number of points across both semi-finals and the final. We actually couldn't have done any worse.

I didn't think anybody could/would disagree with that.

More Music wrote: »
    Of course the personality of a 15 year old is their true personality and they never mature or change. Many, many teenagers are moody, cranky, rebellious and even criminal. They grow out of it in their twenties...

I do wonder how much growing up Tubridy has actually done since that old video. Sure he's obsessed with school, teachers, field trips, bullies, parent-teacher meetings, children's books, the leaving cert, etc, etc.

Then again, his obsession with Jimmy Stewart and JFK, and condescending attitude towards anything technological wouldn't really fit the profile of a kid. I suppose he's like a hybrid between a 12 year old girl and a 70 year old granny.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,643 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I wonder if Ryan would feel the same way if a milkshake was thrown at Donald Trump.

sounds like one of his usual holier than thou spiels i.e. some really obvious point delivered as if he was the first one to ever have such a thought.

Wrong to throw milkshakes in the school yard is it Ryan?! Thanks for letting us know. What would we do at all, without our moral compass Ryan Tubridy!

His dream guest. A chef in a boarding school.

Plug

• Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

sounds like one of his usual holier than thou spiels i.e. some really obvious point delivered as if he was the first one to ever have such a thought.

Wrong to throw milkshakes in the school yard is it Ryan?! Thanks for letting us know. What would we do at all, without our moral compass Ryan Tubridy!

A “moral compass” who steals an absolutely obscene salary from the public

I sometimes wonder whether radio hosts ever listen back to themselves? The self-righteousness out of him this morning would make your toes curl. I happen to agree with what he was saying, but he came off like some arrogant Englishman preaching to some native savages.

Thank you Mister Tubridy, sir, we promise not to throw milkshakes at our elders now *tugs forelock*

• Advertisement

A competition on how to be green sponsored by a company that sells petrol and Diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,643 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Ryan’s RTE Contract...

Rubbish or Recycle?

More Music wrote: »
    I'm sure she did do her best. It is a pity she didn't get to the final. But it wasn't good enough, so we will have to do much better next time. I don't see the problem with that statement. In fact, the professional juries and televoting all agreed. I don't see any insult there.

We came last in our semi-final and had the lowest number of points across both semi-finals and the final. We actually couldn't have done any worse.

I didn't think anybody could/would disagree with that.

The girl, put out there by the people of RTE who you defend so avidly, had just come off the ladder of a huge international stage on the bottom rung; then to be insulted by one of the very company that had obviously told her she and her act were good enough to be in the competition. There is a huge wealth of musical talent in this country to choose from, so whoever is picked in terms of songwriting and performance must assume they have made the grade. Then to hear our top paid media presenter, from the company who sent her forward, throw very cold water on the effort after the affect, is degrading. What is the agenda of sending an act the company does not think has a chance of having it stage a competition the following year?

Ryan’s RTE Contract...

Rubbish, Recycle? or option 3: shred then douse with petrol and spark it up?

just tailored your post a bit :D

The girl, put out there by the people of RTE who you defend so avidly, had just come off the ladder of a huge international stage on the bottom rung; then to be insulted by one of the very company that had obviously told her she and her act were good enough to be in the competition. There is a huge wealth of musical talent in this country to choose from, so whoever is picked in terms of songwriting and performance must assume they have made the grade. Then to hear our top paid media presenter, from the company who sent her forward, throw very cold water on the effort after the affect, is degrading. What is the agenda of sending an act the company does not think has a chance of having it stage a competition the following year?

You wouldn't see it in Father Ted.

Oh wait....

sligojoek wrote: »
    You wouldn't see it in Father Ted.

Oh wait....

Especially when the budget is so tight and the incredibly talented presenters’ pay must not be cut short by the business of having to stage a costly Eurovision Song Contest.

While we're on this subject, I'd just like to say how great it is to hear a performer speaking with her natural, Clare accent. It's a beautiful accent and I hope she doesn't lose it.

Agree with the above comments too. If she'd qualified, or had finished in the top 10, Tubridy & Co. would be slapping themselves on the back. The song wouldn't be my kind of music, but neither was the winner's. She has nothing to be sorry about, and a bit of sensitivity from RTE commentators wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

He was actually funny this morning!

Now that I’m retired and don’t have to get up at crack of dawn each morning, I have the occasional doze beyond the alarm clock, and this would invariably coincide with Tubridy’s early utterances, which in my state of fragile sleep I invariably incorporate into some dream. Actually they are nightmares as he plays the part of a dictator who won’t shut up no matter how much I babble for him to stop. I find me shouting myself awake. You could say he’s my second alarm clock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

I wonder if Ryan would feel the same way if a milkshake was thrown at Donald Trump.

He would have believed Clinton if he told him that he'd spilt milkshake on his trousers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement