Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

bobbyss wrote: »
    It comes across as a cover for not having any particular interesting guest to talk too.

yeah, there is an awful lot of fapping about and unfortunately the presenters dont have the talent to just ad lib and still be entertaining.

The time wasting would be understandable if it were the old 3-hour slot. However, he has had his time on air reduced to just an hour. The hour usually involves:

- starting 5 minutes after the hour
    - spending a good while reading out the headlines and mentioning Trump.
    - playing a few songs
    - having numerous ad breaks.
    - conducting one shortish (often misery-related) interview.
    - 10 minutes of rambling or if we're lucky, Dancing with the Stars chat.

The interview is the only substantial element of the show. That's about 15-20 minutes of worthwhile radio you're getting out of RTE's biggest "star". And very often the interviews are not well executed.

It's baffling how it continues without any improvement. They must think they're doing a great job altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭bobbyss

It's baffling how it continues without any improvement. They must think they're doing a great job altogether.

You could pluck any bog standard presenter from any station, local or otherwise, and they would do the same job as Turbridy at half, third, fifth the price.
    Hugely overpaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Too lazy to change the station. Jesus christ she is deplorable. The charisma of a dead cod.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Theresa May's bracelet. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Banging on about Maura from love Island again. FFS

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    Theresa May's bracelet. FFS.

Shes still here ya know ;)

Love Island FM for the day folks.

Tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Love Island FM for the day folks.

Tripe.
    Nobody seen that coming lol.

Another reason not to listen to Katherine Thomas this afternoon.

Another reason not to listen to Katherine Thomas this afternoon.

There are so many at this stage :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭hawley

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/4387646/ryan-tubridy-galway-races-proud-irish-rte/

With Brexit looming, and nationalist sentiments on the rise around the UK’s departure from the EU, an unusually patriotic Tubridy called on folks here to “be more Irish”.

He said: “Shane Lowry’s granny, don’t mind Shane Lowry. She was amazing.

“His win last week was the most Irish victory and I just think the way things are going at the moment with Brexit, Boris Johnson’s peculiar behaviour this week towards the Taoiseach.

“I know they had a phone call this afternoon. That’s fine, but I think we need to be a little more proud of ourselves. I think we need to be a little more Irish. Personally my back’s up a bit. My blood is green. As a country, we need to pull together now. Even things like shopping local, going to the independent bookshop or the shop up the road.

“We have to because otherwise you get stamped on and walked over. There’s an awful whiff of arrogance in the air that you have to be aware of.”

He continued: “Galway races — a great Irish institution. Shane Lowry — I couldn’t be more proud. The cricket team was led by an Irishman and that was delicious. That was just gorgeous.”

Last year, RTE held a special Late Late Show in London, and its host said he has plenty of locations in mind for future programmes.

The RTE star said: “I’d love to bring the Late Late here some night here in the new season if they’d let me. I’d love to do it. We did one in London last year and I just loved getting out and people responded so well. I’m that ambitious I’d love to take it further afield; the States, Australia.

“Start in Galway and then keep going across the ocean into New York, only because the response from the Irish in London was just so lovely and warm and I’d love to tap into that because you’re not just tapping into the people in those countries, it’s the family here going great.

“That’s just daydreaming. Believe me, that’s just daydreaming.”

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

hawley wrote: »
    https://www.thesun.ie/sport/4387646/ryan-tubridy-galway-races-proud-irish-rte/

With Brexit looming, and nationalist sentiments on the rise around the UK’s departure from the EU, an unusually patriotic Tubridy called on folks here to “be more Irish”.

“His win last week was the most Irish victory and I just think the way things are going at the moment with Brexit, Boris Johnson’s peculiar behaviour this week towards the Taoiseach.

“I know they had a phone call this afternoon. That’s fine, but I think we need to be a little more proud of ourselves. I think we need to be a little more Irish. Personally my back’s up a bit. My blood is green. As a country, we need to pull together now. Even things like shopping local, going to the independent bookshop or the shop up the road.

“We have to because otherwise you get stamped on and walked over. There’s an awful whiff of arrogance in the air that you have to be aware of.”

He continued: “Galway races — a great Irish institution. Shane Lowry — I couldn’t be more proud. The cricket team was led by an Irishman and that was delicious. That was just gorgeous.”

Last year, RTE held a special Late Late Show in London, and its host said he has plenty of locations in mind for future programmes.

The RTE star said: “I’d love to bring the Late Late here some night here in the new season if they’d let me. I’d love to do it. We did one in London last year and I just loved getting out and people responded so well. I’m that ambitious I’d love to take it further afield; the States, Australia.

“Start in Galway and then keep going across the ocean into New York, only because the response from the Irish in London was just so lovely and warm and I’d love to tap into that because you’re not just tapping into the people in those countries, it’s the family here going great.

“That’s just daydreaming. Believe me, that’s just daydreaming.”

Peculiar - check.
    Independent bookshop - check.
    Late Late Show - check.
    Utterly deluded? Check.

I said it last year when London was announced as a venue for the Late Late, the junket loving RTÉ staff would be looking at the states for their next holidays. Absolute disgrace of an organisation, and all at our expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,654 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

The cricket team was led by an Irishman and that was delicious. That was just gorgeous.”

tenor.gif?itemid=12199357

• Registered Users Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Of course tuba wants to go on junkets and jollies overseas

All expenses Paid Trips. The bill paid for by joe and Josephine soap - the little ppl

Tubs is bored witless of the LLS which is why he wants to head hither and thither

Get rid of him

Jaysus he can fairly spout bullshirt when he wants.

Keeping in with the wimmen. Check

Shoehorn in Brexit and Boris. Check.

Surprised he didn't mention Trump while he was at it.

Of course tuba wants to go on junkets and jollies overseas

All expenses Paid Trips. The bill paid for by joe and Josephine soap - the little ppl

Tubs is bored witless of the LLS which is why he wants to head hither and thither

Get rid of him

Plus:
    changing the location is a handy little gimmick. A bit like the Valentines and Country and Western 'specials' in that it brings an element of excitement that is otherwise missing and covers up the generally poor quality of the show.

He'd have every week a special of some description if he could.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Keeping in with the wimmen. Check

Shoehorn in Brexit and Boris. Check.

Surprised he didn't mention Trump while he was at it.

somebody should complain to tubs about Shane's granny promoting brandy drinking!

Homeless world cup eh!?

We've enough people to choose a squad from anyway.

We'll be winning that I imagine.

Who needs a minister for sport when the mnister for housing is that good. Thanks Eoghan!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 wes16586

Not to sound unsympathetic to anyone with an illness but what is this shows obsession with interviewing people with serious illness. They’ve just had two guests one after the other. They usually have stories like this 3 times a week.

Really miserable stories to hear first thing in the morning. I find myself switching to a podcast when these type of sickness stories are told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

I heard him say this same sentence on the radio, and it's typical of the pretentious horsesh1t that he comes out with. Morgan is playing for England, so the only green that he is loyal to is the pound note. And that's fine if that is what is driving him, but don't try to paint him as Irish.

Maggie doesn't have a particularly pleasant voice. She's more suitable for FM 2. She's shouty and the monologue is simply reading our stuff from the tabloids. I like to listen to the main station when people are more restrained and not looking for attention.

I cant listen to her for any more than 5 minutes. She's even more sanctimonious that Tubbs. She's up there with Matt Cooper and Christopher McKevitt in the annoying voices stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

I cant listen to her for any more than 5 minutes. She's even more sanctimonious that Tubbs.

It is just completely inane stuff. Interviewing a woman about going on a holiday now, amazing stuff. Pat Kenny please hurry back.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

How on earth does tubridy's show get much more than twice the listeners of Pat Kenny's in the just released JNLR poll.
    Do people actually like his nonsense.
    Too lazy to turn the channel after Morning Ireland???
    Absolutely beggars belief

How on earth does tubridy's show get much more than twice the listeners of Pat Kenny's in the just released JNLR poll.
    Do people actually like his nonsense.
    Too lazy to turn the channel after Morning Ireland???
    Absolutely beggars belief
    Pat Kenny has a theory about this. Quoth the Great One, kitchen radios are more forgiving than car radios, ie people switch the channel a lot more on car radios. Therefore drivetime programmes are a lot more competitive than programmes that are played in the kitchen and the office, where people just tend to listen to the same station all day.

There's something in that. A lot of people don't bear Pat because they don't listen to Newstalk Breakfast in the kitchen. A lot of people only hear Ronan Collins because they have Sean Ó Rourke on in the office.

But people will flick around the channels on the drive home from work, in the car or on the phone.

Pat Kenny has a theory about this. Quoth the Great One, kitchen radios are more forgiving than car radios, ie people switch the channel a lot more on car radios. Therefore drivetime programmes are a lot more competitive than programmes that are played in the kitchen and the office, where people just tend to listen to the same station all day.

There's something in that. A lot of people don't bear Pat because they don't listen to Newstalk Breakfast in the kitchen. A lot of people only hear Ronan Collins because they have Sean Ó Rourke on in the office.

But people will flick around the channels on the drive home from work, in the car or on the phone.

There may be truth in that. However in the kitchen thank God for the presets! Remember having to tune in manually? Now it's just ZAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Re. the above.....hence Newstalk’s advertising campaign built around “Move the Dial” when Pat joined. There’s an inertia built in to home listenership, particularly amongst older age cohorts. Amazingly - and despite what RTÉ would like you to think - the audience for example for Da Lahv Lahn does not drop to zero when Mr. Duffy is away on one of his many break-eens.

Indeed. My Mother in law listens to nothing else only Ocean FM. My own mother is the same with Tipp FM. Once or twice I rang to tell her there was something coming up regarding Nenagh or North Tipperary on radio 1 and she'd make a big deal about having to go looking for it on the wireless. And this is a woman who had a computer in the 90s and is fairly tech savvy in general.

• Advertisement

Indeed. My Mother in law listens to nothing else only Ocean FM. My own mother is the same with Tipp FM. Once or twice I rang to tell her there was something coming up regarding Nenagh or North Tipperary on radio 1 and she'd make a big deal about having to go looking for it on the wireless. And this is a woman who had a computer in the 90s and is fairly tech savvy in general.
    my Dad was a Radio 1 man and the mother is a Tipp FM woman. There were often two radios on the go in the kitchen and woe betide anyone who fiddled with the dials.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement