Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Any mention of the Late Late Show or the toy show?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

He IS terrified of Brexit and I’d say part of that is he knows there’ll be even further barriers for more work in his actual dream job -the beeb

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He IS terrified of Brexit and I’d say part of that is he knows there’ll be even further barriers for more work in his actual dream job -the beeb

Talent might be the real barrier involved here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

NIMAN wrote: »
    Talent might be the real barrier involved here.

Very much so

They gave him a whirl a few times in fairness.

Very much so

They gave him a whirl a few times in fairness.

And if they thought he was the new Terry Wogan, he'd be employed by the BBC now.

He's not, that's why he's back home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Just heard, SoC, that slapper off Love Island and Ashling Bea on LLS.

The host, who will be presenting the chat show for 11 years this year, said that the guests on the first show are a "selection of people representing Ireland".

Me Bollo5ks they do AVOID AVOID AVOID.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Is he really dyin to work at the BBC though? I would've thought he's very comfortable where he is, not having to do much other than hash out cheap Irish nostalgia. Stuff like "we have the best tea and sandwiches in IReland" would be even more pointless on British radio.

He also seems to be a bit anti-British at times. I've heard him criticize stuff being too British for his liking (he said something like this about Gordon Ramsay once).

I dont think he's genuinely worried about Brexit. It's just that it's topical and fits in with his anti-Trump/anti-Boris blabber. It's filler he thinks will make him sound informed, politically correct, and concerned about the man on the street. He's bored and looking for stuff to be worried about but not quite managing it, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

he is obsessed with the British and being in London whenever he goes over

^^
    True. I've also heard him fuss and fawn over very British stuff at the same time. Royal family. London as you say. But he's definitely anti British when it suits. Bag of contradictions is Tubridy.

"Dastardly digitalisation".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Some bird from Love Island on the first LL Show. Now theres a surprise !;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Trying to fit in as many side swipes at Trump as he can still morning.

Still nowt about Clinton and his pal Epstein though.

F**k off with your toy show in the middle of August.

"Keep it in your diary"

No need Ryan because a day won't pass between now and then where you won't mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

She has already cancelled engagements due to not having any space since love island. Would be gas he she cancelled her late late appearance!

Jaysus.

I could have sworn I heard him going on about how we were all in for a treat with this season's LLS, and how much they were going to up the ante on the whole production.

Jaysus.

I could have sworn I heard him going on about how we were all in for a treat with this season's LLS, and how much they were going to up the ante on the whole production.

You didn't fall for that old Chestnut. Are you new here?

He'd be the first guy to ridicule these types of shows, the contestants etc, but he'll be all over her on the LLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

More Music wrote: »
    So, to sum up....

Gerry Ryan goes and dies. 2fm in decline anyway.

They move Tubridy in, make a few tweaks.

He now has more listeners than he did in 2011. Not by much, but it's in the right direction.

Tubs/RTE can't do right by some people no matter what.

they move tubs in, listeners decline, they persist over many many years and eventually the bar and expectations are lowered ...and somhow you see that as a positive?

sligojoek wrote: »
    You didn't fall for that old Chestnut. Are you new here?

I know, he gets me year after year. He's just so sincere sounding :D

Love Island, though. It's not a even step up from the usual Late Late standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭hawley

^^
    True. I've also heard him fuss and fawn over very British stuff at the same time. Royal family. London as you say. But he's definitely anti British when it suits. Bag of contradictions is Tubridy.

He has been fawning over Meghan Markle and the British Royal family for years. He also wrote a book on Irish celebrities who prospered in England, almost like he considered them to be our betters. Now he seems to have made a massive u-turn.

Ryan Tubridy says The Late Late Show has 'never been more relevant' than now in the face of Brexit and what is happening in Ireland and the world.

The Friday night chat show returns for a new season on September 6 with Tubridy embarking on his 11th year at the helm.

With the Brexit deadline looming just a few weeks after the season begins, it will weigh heavily on the country, and Tubridy feels the Late Late is perfectly placed to reflect, celebrate, and promote, Ireland at this juncture.

"If you look at what's happening with Brexit, if you look at who's leading the country next door, look at them falling apart at the seams, and we're leading by example," he says.

"We've had those extraordinary referendum results in recent times. We have arguably a progressive young Prime Minister, Taoiseach obviously.

"We are a country in great shape at the moment but we need to protect ourselves and we need to prmote ourselves and we need to be proud of ourselves.

"And that's what I want to bring to the Late Late Show this season; a real sense of self, a sense of country, a sense of nation, a sense of who we are week in, week out."

Speaking specifically about Brexit and the current narrative, he added, "I'm kind of fed up at the kind of kowtowing to the British message. You are the past in terms of things like empire and bossing people around.

"We are in a European scenario at the moment and we should be protecting the backstop - that's another thing and it's not my job to talk about the politics - but as somebody hopefuly reflecting what is Ireland, and what Ireland is thinking, we're going to be all over it.

"We're going to be very proud to be Irish this season."

This year, he says, "feels like a reboot. I don't feel it's a root and branch chance of scene but there's something in the air," says Tubridy. "There's a bit of change at the top of the show production wise and the team has evolved a bit and we're into a new sense of purpose with the show."

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/im-fed-up-at-the-kowtowing-to-the-british-message-ryan-tubridy-on-challenging-brexit-narrative-38436453.html

• Advertisement

hawley wrote: »
    He has been fawning over Meghan Markle and the British Royal family for years. He also wrote a book on Irish celebrities who prospered in England, almost like he considered them to be our betters. Now he seems to have made a massive u-turn.

Ryan Tubridy says The Late Late Show has 'never been more relevant' than now in the face of Brexit and what is happening in Ireland and the world.

The Friday night chat show returns for a new season on September 6 with Tubridy embarking on his 11th year at the helm.

With the Brexit deadline looming just a few weeks after the season begins, it will weigh heavily on the country, and Tubridy feels the Late Late is perfectly placed to reflect, celebrate, and promote, Ireland at this juncture.

"If you look at what's happening with Brexit, if you look at who's leading the country next door, look at them falling apart at the seams, and we're leading by example," he says.

"We've had those extraordinary referendum results in recent times. We have arguably a progressive young Prime Minister, Taoiseach obviously.

"We are a country in great shape at the moment but we need to protect ourselves and we need to prmote ourselves and we need to be proud of ourselves.

"And that's what I want to bring to the Late Late Show this season; a real sense of self, a sense of country, a sense of nation, a sense of who we are week in, week out."

Speaking specifically about Brexit and the current narrative, he added, "I'm kind of fed up at the kind of kowtowing to the British message. You are the past in terms of things like empire and bossing people around.

"We are in a European scenario at the moment and we should be protecting the backstop - that's another thing and it's not my job to talk about the politics - but as somebody hopefuly reflecting what is Ireland, and what Ireland is thinking, we're going to be all over it.

"We're going to be very proud to be Irish this season."

This year, he says, "feels like a reboot. I don't feel it's a root and branch chance of scene but there's something in the air," says Tubridy. "There's a bit of change at the top of the show production wise and the team has evolved a bit and we're into a new sense of purpose with the show."

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/im-fed-up-at-the-kowtowing-to-the-british-message-ryan-tubridy-on-challenging-brexit-narrative-38436453.html

Does he come up with this crap himself or is it written for him?

sligojoek wrote: »
    Does he come up with this crap himself or is it written for him?

Thought the exact same thing here.

This sort of half-baked, inane babble is his trademark.

Hollow nonsense qualified by his claim "it's not my job to talk about politics" . Yet he doesnt STFU about Trump, Kennedy, Clinton, blablaba.

Be proud of ourselves by celebrating some vacant loud mouth from reality TV who just so happens to be from Louth or wherever? That'll sort out any Brexit related economic meltdown that might be on the verge of happening!

The fella is insufferable.

There'll probably be a LLS segment on Jigsaws,too.

Thought the exact same thing here.

This sort of half-baked, inane babble is his trademark.

Hollow nonsense qualified by his claim "it's not my job to talk about politics" . Yet he doesnt STFU about Trump, Kennedy, Clinton, blablaba.

Be proud of ourselves by celebrating some vacant loud mouth from reality TV who just so happens to be from Louth or wherever? That'll sort out any Brexit related economic meltdown that might be on the verge of happening!

The fella is insufferable.

There'll probably be a LLS segment on Jigsaws,too.

I heard something about jigsaws this morning. What's that all about? Is it his new plan to lure kids away from dastardly digital stuff.

Exactly that. The latest manifestation of his technology bashing, nostalgia-loving blabber.

the last two days he's been going on about how he spent the weekend by a cosy fire doing Disney jigsaws. People have been texting in to share their their jigsaw stories and it has been agreed by one and all that jigsaws are a "cute" past-time that we should all get back to.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I've shortened the lls promo for those who can't stomach reading it

"look, the proper foreign guests just arn't interested anymore...nor can we afford them, so lets pull on the green jersey and have the usual sh1te instead."

I figured it was something like that alright. It'll be all (even more) yummie mummie and kiddie stuff after 9 now that the school runs are back in full swing.

you better believe it sligojoe.

The excitement of 'freshly ironed uniforms' and new pencil cases has already been mentioned.

He's ready to go into full on Mammy mode. PREPARE YOURSELF!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

The tube in London..intriguing. blady blady blah...gimmie a bucket.

School
    Green stuff
    Michelle Obama
    Enid Blyton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The tube in London..intriguing. blady blady blah...gimmie a bucket.

What’s fascinating about it is I, your host, Ryan Tubridy, can use it without being recognised; unlike the DART where I’m constantly harassed by members of the public for autographs, book recommendations, asked to sign copies of “Patrick and the President”, asked my opinions on a range of topics (but especially Brexit), and inevitably plagued by people asking for tickets for the Late Late Toy Show.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement