Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

sligojoek wrote: »
    Haughey was a great fellow wasn't he.

Did he really say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Did he really say that?

More or less. Great man for getting free travel for the oldies.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

sligojoek wrote: »
    Ads
    TV licence
    RTE series on TV
    Eirgrid
    UK driving license/Brexit
    Sky sponsoring Tubbs

And they wonder why they're broke!

Have they no-one selling ads in RTE at all? The number of ads about RTE programs has gone exponential in recent years at a time when they badly need ad revenue. It should be their gold mine and all they are bothered about is promoting themselves.

Rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Describing anything other than food as "delicious" is stupid. A book cannot be "delicious" or "gorgeous", unless you're going to eat it or shift it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,655 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Did Ryan just agree with something that Trump said?!?! :eek:

Oh, my giddy aunt!

*faints camply onto chaise lounge*

• Advertisement

Playing the Super Furries :)

I take back everything I ever said about Ryan’s radio show :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Playing the Super Furries :)

I take back everything I ever said about Ryan’s radio show :D

:eek::eek:
    what song was it?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Tubridy going on this morning giving the impression that he doesn't have any personal experiences with aspergers syndrome ;);););)

And they wonder why they're broke!

Have they no-one selling ads in RTE at all? The number of ads about RTE programs has gone exponential in recent years at a time when they badly need ad revenue. It should be their gold mine and all they are bothered about is promoting themselves.

Rant over!

You're assuming advertisers want to advertise on RTE Radio. Morning Ireland and Drivetime maybe for audience numbers, but the rest is either overpriced compared to the value you'd get elsewhere; or crucially, on shows you don't weant to be associated with - like Liveline.

And I say this as someone with 20+ years of advertising on radio for the companies I've worked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You're assuming advertisers want to advertise on RTE Radio. Morning Ireland and Drivetime maybe for audience numbers, but the rest is either overpriced compared to the value you'd get elsewhere; or crucially, on shows you don't weant to be associated with - like Liveline.

And I say this as someone with 20+ years of advertising on radio for the companies I've worked for.

Well if its true that they are struggling to fill their space with adverts, surely there must be someone in that RTE dept thinking "we must be too expensive, time to reduce rates for advertising".....thats what any right-thinking person would do.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Well if its true that they are struggling to fill their space with adverts, surely there must be someone in that RTE dept thinking "we must be too expensive, time to reduce rates for advertising".....thats what any right-thinking person would do.

I've highlighted the flaw in your assumption in bold for you NIMAN. :D:D:rolleyes:

As I said, the problem is with certain shows, not RTE Radio 1 as a whole. Now I wouldn't spend a cent on 2FM b ut my audience is older.......then again I wouldn't take ad slots for free in Liveline....so to speak.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    :eek::eek:
    what song was it?!!

The Man Don’t Give A F**k

Juxtaposed With U

• Registered Users Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

his telling greta to go home and watch a movie with her parents is trending on twitter :)

his telling greta to go home and watch a movie with her parents is trending on twitter :)

https://twitter.com/TVsCarlKinsella/status/1176426598473453568?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭plodder

I wonder what the exact context was. I found it hard to listen to her speech to the UN this morning and I would worry for her own sake, that she is getting too personally invested in saving the planet. Going home and watching a movie without the whole world looking on, might not be a bad idea, if that were the context.

plodder wrote: »
    I wonder what the exact context was. I found it hard to listen to her speech to the UN this morning and I would worry for her own sake, that she is getting too personally invested in saving the planet. Going home and watching a movie without the whole world looking on, might not be a bad idea, if that were the context.

It's hard to imagine the pressure she is under. I wouldn't want to be her in a fit - or her parents. Global attention, vitriolic comments from bullying people (99.5% men, judging by my careful statistical research) who really ought to behave better, entire emotional engagement, passion for the planet.

I really hope that she has the necessary support and counselling (in the broadest meaning of the word) that will see her through the pilgrimage that she is on. Talk about walking the Camino Way - that doesn't come near the physical, emotional and intellectual effort she's putting in

It appears Ryan is going to have to apologise this morning for what he said, otherwise he will find himself at the end of the mob, and he doesn't want that. It would ruin his image and they might start talking about his wages and heckling him in public!

He probably had a point. I feel sorry for that young girl at this stage. She needs to go back to her normal life, and I do think her parents are grooming her for fame.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

If Tubridy was really worried about her, he would have spent a bit more time over the last 20 years talking about climate change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I thought it was funny yesterday. Tubridy there with his usual non committal, mealy mouthed "I hope they are minding her" b*ll*x. Basically inferring that it was not very responsible to have one so young thrown forth in front of the masses.

Then it moves on to 3pm and Ray D'Arcy thinks that she's great. No doubt because he put his finger in the air before the show to see what way the wind was blowing before coming to that conclusion.

The first thing that I thought of when I heard that "impassioned plea" from Thunberg was when a relation of the Kuwaiti ambassador was brought in front of the media in the US to fool them into believing that Iraqi soldiers were throwing babies out of incubators. And this paid for PR stunt was enough to convince everybody that they should invade Iraq. Thunberg is being used similarly.

Ha! Ha! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ryan-tubridy-faces-a-backlash-over-his-remarks-about-greta-thunberg-38532504.html

If he truly believes what he said yesterday he should stick to his guns and not apologise, but of course being an RTE luvvie right on woke SJW wannabe, he'll have to appear (at least) to be down with the kids and will apologise today after "extensively researching the subject last night" and no doubt mention he should have minded her himself and shown some kindness or some meaningless waffle. He'll talk about how important it is for young girls to have role models who stand up for something, then after the break will tell us about this week's Love Island guest on TLLS - which is gr-reat, and remind us it's only 44* sleeps to the Toy Show.

*figure plucked from thin air

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Hopefully it will be a full heel turn.

I wont be listening either way.

Tubridy is soul poison.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭plodder

If he truly believes what he said yesterday he should stick to his guns and not apologise,
    Correct. None of this "if I offended anyone" crap.

It's a scary world that we live in. Tubridy says one thing that is slightly off the company line and now he is being lambasted. Only conforming opinions are allowed in the media. We are Borg.

However, this should lead to the pure hilarity of listening to him in full reverse this morning. We're out on the M50 but I can already hear the sound of him beeping.

Bryan discussing Trump and Boris Johnson - I'm shocked. :rolleyes:

Keep history alive.

Ryan, in 100 years time children will be asking why RTE broadcasters were so overpaid.

No sign of any apology coming.....maybe he is going to stand by his convictions.

Edit: incoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

A lot of papers ??

They were fair ?

Confusion?

Clutch in, push up to the left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Tubbs squirming.
    Nothing unusual there.

He is a worm.