Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,656 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Putting the words ‘Amy Huberman’ and ‘Funny’ in the same sentence :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

His radio show now exists to plug the LLS, RTe cronies and their careers, and new book sales.

what did he say about rammstein?

Ryan has agreed to stand in for Flake when they play live, he says he’ll find it ‘intriguing’ to be beaten up by Till :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The Beatles

Will Greta Thunberg be on tonight’s LLS? :pac:

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    His radio show now exists to plug the LLS, RTe cronies and their careers, and new book sales.
    And women with sad stories. I wonder what today's one will be.

Will Greta Thunberg be on tonight’s LLS? :pac:
    No. They couldn't get a rowboat fast enough to get her over from New York

"Your father passed away...."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Annoying American with Irish roots on with Tubridy now...he is in his element!

At least he was born wiht an American accent instead of speaking with a manufactured one.

He's speaking about my locality now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

All the homeless people on the streets of Dublin now that these RTE heads walk past every day, and they now slap themselves on the back for burying one of them when they are dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I was flicking through the radio this morning in the car when I landed on 2FM to hear Doireann Garrihy say she's on TLLS tonight. Like WTAF? Are things that bad?

Tell us Doireann about all the great jobs you've gotten on the back of no discernible talent?

Between RTE and the Sindo/Barry Egan pushing this "gaggle of Garrihys" on us for no logical reason it saddens me for the future of the young people who Bryan loves so much...................

My only hope is she won't be on with ubertosser Eoghan McDermott, but it's unlikely he'll be there as last I heard he was in Fiji on our tax money filming some new RTE show.

what did he say about rammstein?

I can't remember exactly, but it was something along the lines of Alexa could play random mood music if you wanted it to but Bryan didn't trust the tech not to go bonkers on him and play one of the aforementioned. Or I may be way off, I wasn't listening intently so to speak.

Between RTE and the Sindo/Barry Egan pushing this "gaggle of Garrihys" on us for no logical reason it saddens me for the future of the young people who Bryan loves so much...................

My only hope is she won't be on with ubertosser Eoghan McDermott, but it's unlikely he'll be there as last I heard he was in Fiji on our tax money filming some new RTE show.

A video message from him will probably be played

Ryan about to paint the walls white with McCartney talk!

Don’t ask him about ‘The Frog Chorus’.

I don't think Tubridy is as big into McCartney now, as when he was on "The full Irish" on 2FM.
    He never shut up about him back then.

They were riding more than tigers.

Would like to have heard more from Rod Davis, too much time spent on the previous guest.

He was interesting. There should be more guests like that and less "human interest". Enough of that on other shows.

They were riding more than tigers.

...which is gr-reat!

*I'll get my coat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The thing about RT, he tries to portray this image of himself as an intellectual. A reader, a man interested in history, politics, who hates modern technology and likes walks in Ireland rather than sitting watching TV etc.

By definition this would mean he should hate all things celebrity, reality TV, z listers, etc.

But he loves fawning over them from what I can see. Especially if they are talentless Irish ones. Maybe it's because they are the staple diet of guests on his premier TV show? And without them there would be no LLS?

Mick Heaney in The Irish Times compares Tubridy's controversial remarks about Greta Thunberg to similar, but more tactful, remarks by Ciara Kelly

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/ryan-tubridy-makes-heavy-weather-of-greta-thunberg-s-climate-crusade-1.4031351

NIMAN wrote: »

But he loves fawning over them.... Maybe it's because they are the staple diet of guests on his premier TV show?

Nail on the head

Mick Heaney in The Irish Times compares Tubridy's controversial remarks about Greta Thunberg to similar, but more tactful, remarks by Ciara Kelly

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/ryan-tubridy-makes-heavy-weather-of-greta-thunberg-s-climate-crusade-1.4031351

Nice little dig at Mr. Duffy there too. Well done! Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

So to summise Mick....

I agree that Tubbs is acutally concerned for Thunberg and climate action, and the mother of a child with Aspererger's more or less agrees also.

"In fairness, Tubridy sounds concerned rather than dismissive, worrying that someone Thunberg’s age is “up for grabs”. He also agrees on the necessity of climate action,

Tubridy later tries to firewall himself by talking to Denise, whose nine-year-old son also has Asperger’s. Denise shares some of the host’s unease, but also recognises some of her son’s passion and focus in Thunberg."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

More Music wrote: »
    So to summise Mick....

I agree that Tubbs is acutally concerned for Thunberg and climate action, and the mother of a child with Aspererger's more or less agrees also.

"In fairness, Tubridy sounds concerned rather than dismissive, worrying that someone Thunberg’s age is “up for grabs”. He also agrees on the necessity of climate action,

Tubridy later tries to firewall himself by talking to Denise, whose nine-year-old son also has Asperger’s. Denise shares some of the host’s unease, but also recognises some of her son’s passion and focus in Thunberg."

That was only the build up to the takedown

More Music wrote: »
    So to summise Mick....

That's not how I read it. You're leaving out a fairly important focus of public criticism of Tubridy:
    His clunky language is one problem. He talks about Thunberg being in “a mental illness situation that we need to be aware of”.

A bigger issue, arguably, is the host’s fretful pondering whether Thunberg is being looked after properly. “She needs to be brought home and watch a movie,” he says of the 16-year-old, just a tad patronisingly. Moreover, suggestions that Thunberg is being used by others is the standard line of attack used by her opponents. Tubridy perpetuates this trope by wondering if she wrote her speech. “It didn’t feel that it could have come from her own pen,” he says, only to revise his opinion when Denise says she believes Thunberg did write it.

A commentator's conclusion is usually to be found (obviously) at the bottom line:
    Tubridy, with his sincere belief in old-fashioned values like decency and civic duty, is on thin ice when he makes Thunberg the focus of his opinions, rather than her pressing message of climate catastrophe, dovetailing as this does with the less generous impulses of others. Either way, he makes heavy weather of the matter.

The above paragraph is a fair summary, not the mitigating comments you've selected seemingly to paint Tubridy in a more positive light.

That's not how I read it. You're leaving out a fairly important focus of public criticism of Tubridy:

I think Tubridy knew should have been able to anticipate the reaction that his "I hope she's being minded" statement would illicit. What he said was effectively what people say when they are "concern trolling", with the inference being to forgive the person for they know not what they are saying.

I would give him credit for not at least following the same line as all the media, which is that Greta Thunberg can do no wrong. Like Fintan O'Toole, who had an article lauding her on the Times over the weekend. I wonder does Fintan defer to a 16 year old with no qualifications when he is looking for guidance on where to invest his money, or legal advice on stories he publishes, or for medical advice?

The one thing that will be learnt from this is that Tubridy has had his hand slapped for having an alternative view, and may go the way of Hook and Meyers if he should dares not conform again.

I would give him credit for not at least following the same line as all the media, which is that Greta Thunberg can do no wrong.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here, Gerry, and assume that you are skeptical about the scientific warnings about a man-made climate emergency that Thunberg is repeating?

Because Tubridy didn't say that Thunberg is wrong. He questioned whether she is a suitable or necessary spokesperson for the emergency that is undoubtedly facing her generation, and the one following her.

At current rates of change, the climate could warm by 7 degrees within Thunberg's lifetime, if not curtailed. That could undermine agricultural activity in a way that has not been known since the dawn of human civilisation, as well as placing unprecedented demands on fresh water and human resources. Tubridy wasn't denying that. Most of Thunberg's critics are questioning her suitability for the role she's in, but aren't actually claiming that she is wrong

• Advertisement

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here, Gerry, and assume that you are skeptical about the scientific warnings about a man-made climate emergency that Thunberg is repeating?

I'm skeptical of both sides, and tbh I don't really know enough. But when I saw the performance last week, it did remind me of that clip with the girl from the Iraq war which was posted earlier. And I think if there was a similar 16 year old girl who had strong opinions on the other side of the argument, they would be simply written off because they are 16.

My focus was more about a mainstream presenter who went against the grain and paid for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement