Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18 mth old starting crèche

Options
  • 30-07-2015 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for some advise on helping my son transition well to crèche. We are currently in Germany so may be a little different I hope not too much.

Any tips on helping him settle well? He's quite independent but recently needs more reassurance at playground etc. I've been home permanently with him until now.
    Any tips for helping me cope also? I'm currently going through a miscarriage which is making ME a little clingyer lol.

What questions should I be asking them? I've a meeting with them tomorrow. The crèche is half English speaking also. But my son has almost no words. Only 'dada' is understandable.

He'll be going in for 4 hrs a day so I can start my own business.

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

oh no you poor thing:(

Look at how the staff interact with the children,ask for a copy of the weekly schedule.
    Don't worry about speech ,there will be plenty of children with no words and often being around other children encourages them to talk more.

The 1st few days are hard but it is harder for mammies then the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

Hope you're okay op , my daughter started last month too for the first time ever she's 19 months old . She was with me constantly since day she was born super clingy she goes in twice a week for a few hours. She loves it! First day she ignored me walked straight over to the other kids and toys couldn't believe it.

She's more happier and more sociable since going! Great improvement in speech too .

Your child will be fine starting off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Thanks ladies. I really am more worried about me than him lol!

I really hope it'll improve his speech. There's nothing wrong with his hearing, he understands so much of what we say to him, so I'm hoping being around strangers who don't understands grunts will encourage him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Dori you poor thing. Sending you a hug. My little girl will be starting creche 2 days per week in September when she will be 17 months. So I will be reading this thread with interest. I am very very happy with the creche and all its facilities. However, im petrified of the crechitis I hear so much about. The last 2 winters have been terrible for all of us with all the sickness... and i actually dont think I could bare another winter of constant sickness which she is now bound to get in creche. Its making me dread the months ahead....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sorry about loss Dori, it's rough going... he'll love it though! Mine both cry coming out of it now because they want to play with their friends.
    Sligo1 wrote: »
    Dori you poor thing. Sending you a hug. My little girl will be starting creche 2 days per week in September when she will be 17 months. So I will be reading this thread with interest. I am very very happy with the creche and all its facilities. However, im petrified of the crechitis I hear so much about. The last 2 winters have been terrible for all of us with all the sickness... and i actually dont think I could bare another winter of constant sickness which she is now bound to get in creche. Its making me dread the months ahead....

Aww sligo1, it's doesn't have to be so bad.
    If they have good hand washing policies in place they can avoid a lot of it. Plus any extra jabs you can get make a big difference. I'd say we avoided 90% of the tummy upsets in our local creche with washing their hands before and after they go in (wipes don't cut it, both hands into a bowl of warm soapy water. They love splashing in it anyway). Making sure the creche staff wash their hands, and then the vaccines for whichever one it is.. rota or noro... and chicken pox.

• Advertisement

Crap I forgot about illness! He's always been so healthy. Only the odd temp here and there but no vomiting bugs or anything.

What's the minder to child ratio in Ireland? I think she said 3:11 but I'll double check when I visit later.

Man I hope they are ok with cloth too. They provide all the nappies here. 1 disposable a day wouldn't be the worst tho.

Feel nervous like I'll be the one interviewed!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

Hi Dori, sending you hugs, it's a tough time!
    The minder to child ratio in Ireland is 1:5 for his age group. You should ask lots of questions tomorrow to put your mind at ease. Just a few examples ... How is staff turnover in general? Specifically how long has the minder that your son will have been working there? Ask about qualifications, garda vetting etc. Are the staff first aid trained? Ask what activities he'll do daily. Don't be afraid to speak to the staff who'll be looking after him. Most importantly, look at the staff's interactions and go with your gut feeling!

Brill thanks shadow!

So the place is bloody amazing. I want to go there myself! Now it is steep (9 euro an hour for 20 hrs a week) but prices go down significantly if they are there the full day.

The whole place is brand new even the building in April. The place is very clean and tidy, ikea looking organisation. Most of the toys are wooden, she said they are very bpa/ plastic/ chemical conscious. Outside looks amazing, twice a day they are outside. If the weather is really bad they have a gymboree style place in the basement.

All the food is fresh and organic every day. Made by chef in a big kitchen.

They are very child orientated, very gentle/ attachment style approach. No punishments. 2 german speaking and one English speaking teacher in each room and they don't change unless someone is sick.

They also have a few irish kids and one even uses cloth nappies already!

They provide all nappies, wipes, even toothbrushes. All I have to bring is a water bottle and a change of clothes.

All highly trained and very nice teachers. They are creating a new class at the moment that my son will be in so I'll have to meet those teachers.

I was very impressed but then I have no frame of reference. But he basically ran off and left me which is a good sign.

They also take the kids on field trips!

I'm going to miss him so much. He'll probably nap for 2 hrs once he's home so that'll be most of our day gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

Ah, I'm delighted you're happy!! The creche sounds great, always a good sign when they run off to play! ☺

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    Aww sligo1, it's doesn't have to be so bad.
    If they have good hand washing policies in place they can avoid a lot of it. Plus any extra jabs you can get make a big difference. I'd say we avoided 90% of the tummy upsets in our local creche with washing their hands before and after they go in (wipes don't cut it, both hands into a bowl of warm soapy water. They love splashing in it anyway). Making sure the creche staff wash their hands, and then the vaccines for whichever one it is.. rota or noro... and chicken pox.

Thanks pwurple. I'd be fairly obsessed with hand washing anyway. They both stand up on a stool at the sink to do them before and after we go out anywhere, after toddler cafes, before and after food etc. I am going to take L in to get the chick pox vaccine and the rotovirus drops aswell. All I can do regarding the staff at the creche tho is trust that they follow correct hand hygiene procedures etc... So fingers crossed it will be ok (but I'm dreading it still. Lol).

Glad u found a lovely Creche Dori. :)

I asked about sickness too and the lady said yes it does happen obviously but generally by 18 mths old they have encountered so much already it's less likely they'll catch every little thing like a 6 month old.

Don't know how true it is tho!

I asked about sickness too and the lady said yes it does happen obviously but generally by 18 mths old they have encountered so much already it's less likely they'll catch every little thing like a 6 month old.

Don't know how true it is tho!

O dori that's great to hear! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

If it's any consolation to you my daughter started creche at 10 months old and never suffered from the dreaded crechitis. She got the odd cold like all kids (once each winter) but wasn't constantly sick like so many other poor babies when they start in creche.

Xdancer wrote: »
    If it's any consolation to you my daughter started creche at 10 months old and never suffered from the dreaded crechitis. She got the odd cold like all kids (once each winter) but wasn't constantly sick like so many other poor babies when they start in creche.

That's great to hear Xdancer. Our creche said it was sessional. And because L will be starting coming into the winter Im not so sure if she will be so lucky :(. Did u get any extra vaccines or anything other than those in the current schedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Sligo1 wrote: »
    That's great to hear Xdancer. Our creche said it was sessional. And because L will be starting coming into the winter Im not so sure if she will be so lucky :(. Did u get any extra vaccines or anything other than those in the current schedule?

Yeah I paid for her to have Rotateq (rotavirus), Prevenar (pneumonia vaccine which I think is included in the Irish schedule, but not here in Spain) and at 15 months the Varivax (chicken pox) vaccine. Basically if it was available, my daughter was given it. Cost a small fortune but worth it :)

My daughter started in the November when she was 10 months old, although our winters are a lot milder!

Xdancer wrote: »
    Yeah I paid for her to have Rotateq (rotavirus), Prevenar (pneumonia vaccine which I think is included in the Irish schedule, but not here in Spain) and at 15 months the Varivax (chicken pox) vaccine. Basically if it was available, my daughter was given it. Cost a small fortune but worth it :)

My daughter started in the November when she was 10 months old, although our winters are a lot milder!

Thanks Xdancer. I'm going to make an appointment to get chick pox and rotavirus vaccine :).

We just had a final meeting there yesterday with another walk through. We've decided to put him in for 4 days 8-2pm. I'm so nervous! We start the settling in period next week.

The only thing I had to buy were house shoes ( slippers!) and a metal water bottle. Now I've to go and put his name on all his clothes!

I really hope he likes it and I don't cry ....

Also we had a chicken pox scare but it actually turned out to be a really evil mosquito

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

So the place is bloody amazing. I want to go there myself! Now it is steep (9 euro an hour for 20 hrs a week) but prices go down significantly if they are there the full day.

The whole place is brand new even the building in April. The place is very clean and tidy, ikea looking organisation. Most of the toys are wooden, she said they are very bpa/ plastic/ chemical conscious. Outside looks amazing, twice a day they are outside. If the weather is really bad they have a gymboree style place in the basement.

All the food is fresh and organic every day. Made by chef in a big kitchen.

They are very child orientated, very gentle/ attachment style approach. No punishments. 2 german speaking and one English speaking teacher in each room and they don't change unless someone is sick.

They also have a few irish kids and one even uses cloth nappies already!

They provide all nappies, wipes, even toothbrushes. All I have to bring is a water bottle and a change of clothes.

All highly trained and very nice teachers. They are creating a new class at the moment that my son will be in so I'll have to meet those teachers.

I was very impressed but then I have no frame of reference. But he basically ran off and left me which is a good sign.

They also take the kids on field trips!

I'm going to miss him so much. He'll probably nap for 2 hrs once he's home so that'll be most of our day gone :(

What type of a kita are you putting him in? Usually the majority of the costs are covered by the Bundesland. Here in Hamburg, they cover the first 20-25 hours a week, not sure what the exact number is. And then you pay for any additional hours after that. You shouldn't have to pay the full costs.

Ah sadly we do :( it's a private one and we are only here on a one year relocation. Not paying german taxes .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Ah sadly we do :( it's a private one and we are only here on a one year relocation. Not paying german taxes .

Ah ok, that would explain it. The private ones would also be covered if you were paying taxes, which is good at the moment because of the kita strikes.

Best of luck with the Eingewöhnung, the first few days you will spend your time there with your son. The hardest part is when you start leaving him on his own. It really breaks your heart when they start crying and you have to leave them there. But they adapt so quick, the worst is over after 2-3 weeks.

First settling in day today! Only an hour but I couldn't sleep with the nerves.

Wish us luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

First settling in day today! Only an hour but I couldn't sleep with the nerves.

Wish us luck!

Hope all goes well and mammy will be ok. Your child will be just fine and will enjoy themselves

He had a ball! Cried leaving after the hour! I only cried a tiny bit mainly cos he didn't need me at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Brilliant. They really love the company and enjoy themselves. Glad all went well

Advertisement