Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recently found out pregnant! Looking for recommendation female doctor

Options
  • 30-07-2015 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there,

First time pregnant eek think I'm 7 weeks and trying to understand what I need to do!

Just wondering what the process is in terms of attending a doctor. We did go to the local medical centre and they confirmed that I am pregnant. The doctor is fine, very matter of fact kind of guy and think personally I would prefer a female doctor.

Anyone recommend a female doctor in Dublin west around saggart, rathcoole, tallaght or celbridge wouldn't be too far either?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Have you booked into a maternity hospital? Are you doing combined care?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Littlegreen bike

lazygal wrote: »
    Have you booked into a maternity hospital? Are you doing combined care?

Hi haven't booked into maternity hospital yet and am going to go with the combined care - not sure of what the process is or what order to I need to do things

Any advice appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Your GP will get you to sign a form for combined care, to register you with the HSE for free doctor's visits. They should have given you a referral letter or at the very least a phone number for the hospital of your choice. You decide do you want to go public or private, ring the hospital and make the booking appointment. I'm in the Rotunda, so it's at 12 weeks, I'm not sure what it is for the other appointments. Your first scan will be at 12 weeks in the hospital then the rest of your visits will alternate between hospital and doctor.

Did you fill out a form with the GP? You can go ring the hospital anyway, their numbers are on their websites. Make that appointment quickly, because they tend to be busy.
    Around week 7 on no. 2 myself, it's all coming back to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Your gp should run through your options and either fill out the forms for your preferred scheme/ hospital or give them to you to fill in and post.

Most people do this at 5 weeks pregnant and get an appointment from their chosen hospital for around the 12-14 week mark.

Since you are a little later than that, you may find your scan will be later than standard as the slots book up fast, as well as the preferred doctors In the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

If you are going with the coombe you call download the form from their website and send it in yourself to get the ball rolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

She'll need gp info to fill it on tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

I didnt when I applied in Dec. I got my date and all for my first scan and I met with my gp the week before that appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I didn't need any forms, I just rang the Rotunda and booked in myself. Got my 12 week appointment in the post a few days later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You don't need the GP to feel in referral for the Coombe.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭An Bhanríon

I am with the Rotunda. I just rang them and got an appointment for my first (12 week) scan. They asked for a GP name but you didn't have to have a name for them. So from then on I am on their system, have a patient number, file, etc.

For the GP side of things I had to pay for a GP appointment to set up the free GP appointments - which I thought was a bit cheeky, but I suppose that's the way things are. The GP filled in a form for the HSE and sent it on herself. I just had to sign. My GP also mentioned that if I wanted to change GP later on (to visit a GP near home instead of near work) that that would be no problem and I could just transfer the free visits to the new GP.

Other hospitals may do things another way but with the Rotunda it was really simple. The only thing I would say they often have the phone on voicemail, but they do ring back if you leave your name and number.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

On your first visit with the Rotunda you only get a mini scan, it will be with a consultant on an older scan machine so the image won't be as great as the 20 week scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Littlegreen bike

Hi all, found a lovely female doctor nearby and she gave me a letter to send in with the registration form I need to fill in for the Coombe. Was hoping to go semi private but we are out by approx. one month from when we took out our health insurance as need to be in it a year!

Thanks for all your posts

Advertisement