Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you buy home made jam?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

heldel00 wrote: »
    Tell on. You have my interest now. What kinds of sauces? I love rhubarb and ginger mmmmmmmmmm

It's particularly good with duck.

Spoon of R&G jam, glug of rice wine, dash of soy sauce, a star anise, some stock. Reduce.
    Yum

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

quaalude wrote: »
    Any other suggestions for an easy jam, using a cheap fruit?

If you can get a few blackcurrant cuttings of someone, you'll have loads of free blackcurrants in 2017.

Blackcurrants need to be pruned hard each autumn, so the cuttings would be free.

You can usually get cheap damaged strawberries from sellers, my da used to get 2kg in a plastic bag pretty much for free but he'd force the lad to take a fiver and only one punnet of good strawberries instead of 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I make my own jam, even bought a jam maker from Lakeland about 10 years ago, we have damson trees, plums and black currants at the moment. I buy strawberry jam locally as himself is partial, it's nothing like the pink mush you buy cheap.

Since it seems everyone is making jam, this year, I forwent the usual plum and made chocolate plum jam. It went down a storm.

You can't beat home made if you make it yourself, if it's possible.

The guys who sell berries by the side of the road usually have jam berries a whole lt cheaper,

If you can get a few blackcurrant cuttings of someone, you'll have loads of free blackcurrants in 2017.

Blackcurrants need to be pruned hard each autumn, so the cuttings would be free.

You can usually get cheap damaged strawberries from sellers, my da used to get 2kg in a plastic bag pretty much for free but he'd force the lad to take a fiver and only one punnet of good strawberries instead of 2.

I always used advice from Sarah Raven on Gardeners World a long time ago, in July when collecting black currants, cut out the stems with the berries, collect them all, sit with a fork taking all the berries off and shove the stems in the ground, they always bore fruit within 12 months. The easiest way to get more fruit shrubs. I killed 2 birds - pruning and collecting

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

Chocolate plum jam sounds devine, any chance of recipe, I made plum jam nice

• Advertisement

http://growitcookitcanit.com/2012/05/11/gratitude-improved-chocolate-plum-jam/

This is the recipe I found, but I used my own plum jam recipe (tried and tested) added a tablespoon of honey, the sage, balsamic vinegar, and 2 heaped Tablespoons of cocoa powder.

You could not taste the sage or vinegar, some people tasted the chocolate some did not, it had a sweeter taste but not sugar sweet, hope it makes sense,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Made gooseberry and vanilla mix last year and raspberry and blackcurrant too.

So far this year, I have made blackcurrant and redcurrant mix, blackcurrant on its own (done 2 different ways) and will shortly make a batch of chilli jam...
    Can't beat making your own imo:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

I have made Rhubarb and ginger, victoria plum, my blackcurrants are in the freezer for later on.
    Next up is greengage and vanilla.

Advertisement