Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford by campervan

• 30-07-2015 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Anybody know of places to stay overnight

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 powerj

If you want wild parking in dungarvan then the lookout behind the tannery restaurant at the quay is a good spot and has a few campers there at weekends. If you are visiting the beach clonea and not paying for a campsite then you will have difficulty with barriers and locals who charge 5 euros do not allow campers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Caseys Campsite Clonea.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

[QUO and locals who charge 5 euros do not allow campers.[/QUOTE]

What's that about - whats wrong with a charge of €5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Field east

Richard power 086 3895755 has a field with basic services right beside beach and within a 5 min walk from town centre. There is a bit of a ' wild camping' feel about it , but yet so close to the town and the sea. Great value at €10 per 24 hrs. I just missed the week long annual festival there. Has a lot of activities suitable for kids.
    Is on the left as you approach Ardmore from the dungarvan side and it is signposted. Officially known as 'Ardmore Seaview Motorhome Park'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Field east wrote: »
    Richard power 086 3895755 has a field with basic services right beside beach and within a 5 min walk from town centre. There is a bit of a ' wild camping' feel about it , but yet so close to the town and the sea. Great value at €10 per 24 hrs. I just missed the week long annual festival there. Has a lot of activities suitable for kids.
    Is on the left as you approach Ardmore from the dungarvan side and it is signposted. Officially known as 'Ardmore Seaview Motorhome Park'

I'm hoping to get down that way in the next few weeks but as I have trouble walking, due to a back problem and only have a small camper, I usually park in towns.

So my question is: how accurate is the "5 mins walk from town" please as some peoples idea of walking is my idea of jogging:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

Tramore, near Splash World. Head for Splash World and when within 100 metres of the place, instead of turning right to SW, turn left and you can park along the road there. There are several parking bays as well.

I was there a couple of weeks ago, for 10 days and had no problem. However, there was a group of 5 motorhomes with you-know-whos, who were moved on by AGS. The devils parked up on the grass a bit like cowboys and their wagons!

As you have a small camper, you could also park overnight on the promenade (free from 8 p.m to 10 a.m., I think and €2 for the day) but it is somewhat noisier than my first suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 powerj

Martin_D wrote: »
    [QUO and locals who charge 5 euros do not allow campers.

What's that about - whats wrong with a charge of €5?[/QUOTE]

Parking for cars is charged at 5 euros by Caseys and the hotel car park for the day. Gordons shop charges 4. However none of these allow campers to avail of this parking and there is no where to park an average camper without it being in the way. This is a pity because the beach is nice. I had this problem last Sunday when I wanted to go surfing for 2 hours.

Tramore, near Splash World. Head for Splash World and when within 100 metres of the place, instead of turning right to SW, turn left and you can park along the road there. There are several parking bays as well.

I was there a couple of weeks ago, for 10 days and had no problem. However, there was a group of 5 motorhomes with you-know-whos, who were moved on by AGS. The devils parked up on the grass a bit like cowboys and their wagons!

As you have a small camper, you could also park overnight on the promenade (free from 8 p.m to 10 a.m., I think and €2 for the day) but it is somewhat noisier than my first suggestion.

Thanks for this, very good info. but I'd still be interested in the 5 minute walk situation as every now and again, but not very often, I go for a bit of peace and quiet:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Field east

Thanks for this, very good info. but I'd still be interested in the 5 minute walk situation as every now and again, but not very often, I go for a bit of peace and quiet:).

We have found it to be very quiet and peaceful on the two occasions that we have used it - in 2014 and 2015.
    I would estimate it to be literally five minutes walking at a reasonable pace. There are two walking options , namely by the beach - there is a slipway onto the beach just as you leave the site and the sand is quiet firm- or you can walk on a high bank which has. a well worn track. You can drive onto the site to check it out re distance to walk to town, etc.

Field east wrote: »
    We have found it to be very quiet and peaceful on the two occasions that we have used it - in 2014 and 2015.
    I would estimate it to be literally five minutes walking at a reasonable pace. There are two walking options , namely by the beach - there is a slipway onto the beach just as you leave the site and the sand is quiet firm- or you can walk on a high bank which has. a well worn track. You can drive onto the site to check it out re distance to walk to town, etc.

Many thanks for this, so about 10 mins for me, it sounds good. All we need now is for summer to arrive:(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wx

There are bus bays below the Town Park in Dungarvan which are regularly used by Motorhomers. From there to the town square is about 600 mtrs. The Tannery Restaurant is about 200 mtrs away enroute to the Square.
    Google maps, the version on my phone, has 2 sites for the Tannery and the incorrect one is where most Motorhomers park.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wx

There are bus bays below the Town Park in Dungarvan which are regularly used by Motorhomers. From there to the town square is about 600 mtrs. The Tannery Restaurant is about 200 mtrs away enroute to the Square.
    Google maps, the version on my phone, has 2 sites for the Tannery and the incorrect one is where most Motorhomers park.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

I'm hoping to get down that way in the next few weeks but as I have trouble walking, due to a back problem and only have a small camper, I usually park in towns.

So my question is: how accurate is the "5 mins walk from town" please as some peoples idea of walking is my idea of jogging:).

You've likely found out the distance is accurate - the route is uneven and would be a bit of a hazard in wet conditions - no problem this week. Access along the beach is ideal but when tide is in you have to use the well worn track.

Was there past few days - just ideal - great location by the beach. Large number of campers given the fine weather and holiday weekend (I'd say about 100 - but no space issues). Black waste emptying and fresh water fill up facilities. Take your rubbish with you and your grey waste too. I hear planning is approved but likely to cost a fortune to meet conditions (another barrier to progressing decent facilities in Ireland). Owner is enlightened and hope he can keep it going and gets support. A tenner for 24 hours ( or up to 2 pm the following day) and some extras if you have cars on site too and put up tents as well (only fair as the cars take up camper spots (quite a few there this few days - in some cases 2/3 with a camper). What a spot when weather is fine - not bad when its not too good either. Reckon our foreign neighbours not heard of it yet as no NL, D or F regs spotted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

see

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057295424&page=6

for Dungarvan situation

you are by the Town Park

It is 600 mts to the Town Square, passing various restaurants and supermarket enroute

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/52.0894558,-7.620647/52.0872066,-7.6161508/@52.088332,-7.6193456,18z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!4m1!3e2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

We were near Dungarvan last week and drove up into the hills, parked discreetly at a forestry gate (unused, but we left room anyway)

There's a little carpark at Bunmahon beach, too: no gate or barrier, no nothing, but if you like stealthing...only thing is, it's on a corner so traffic noise.

Ardmore has campsite and aire type parking as far as I know. I'm sure others can verify or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

any place in waterford city?

powerj wrote: »
    What's that about - whats wrong with a charge of €5?

Parking for cars is charged at 5 euros by Caseys and the hotel car park for the day. Gordons shop charges 4. However none of these allow campers to avail of this parking and there is no where to park an average camper without it being in the way. This is a pity because the beach is nice. I had this problem last Sunday when I wanted to go surfing for 2 hours.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried the east end of the beach. Instead of heading for Clonea continue on the Tramore Road R675 and after a very sharp z bend continue to the next right turn, it will be sign posted. There's parking there, if in time.

Clonea Lower Beach Car Park

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Clonea+Lower+Beach+Car+Park/@52.0975206,-7.5410973,15.5z/data=!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x484318ea40c6a551:0x9b741a77ede98e2c!2sClonea+Beach!8m2!3d52.0949508!4d-7.5443832!3m4!1s0x484318bf5f2d8a47:0x4d6ab381dec22ee2!8m2!3d52.0993879!4d-7.5379246?hl=en-GB

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭pongo69

5/6 campsites around tramore i dont know to much about them as i live there and dont stay there lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

Gardner wrote: »
    any place in waterford city?

Not in the city -they don't seem to like people who spend money in the city!

As others have said, Tramore is an option and you can park on the promenade so not far to walk to the beach. However, for shopping you need to up the town and when I say 'up' I mean up! Best to take the camper (if it's not too big) to either Supervalue or to Tesco and Lidl at the very top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭somahoney74

Lots of campers park at grattan quay overnight. The whole of the quay in Waterford city is a big car park. It's about €12 overnight. Lots of parking in WIT arena green way car park. It's free.

Lots of campers park at grattan quay overnight. The whole of the quay in Waterford city is a big car park. It's about €12 overnight. Lots of parking in WIT arena green way car park. It's free.

are there not height barriers all along the quay?

Advertisement