Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House buy under €200,000 Dublin - where?

• 30-07-2015 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a 2/3 bed house in a safe and relatively quiet residential area near amenities in Dublin, First Time Buyer. Budget €200,000 max.

I'll do a 30-45 min cycle max to Westmorland street daily. I do drive but city can be hetic in the a.m.! I am searching on my home, daft.ie and adverts.ie . I don't want a house requiring a lot of maintenance.

Thanks in advance for any area suggestions or properties found.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

My personal preference would be for Dublin 15. You should still get a three bed just under 200k. 30mins cycle into the city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 the dark ken night

My personal preference would be for Dublin 15. You should still get a three bed just under 200k. 30mins cycle into the city.

What part of safe and quiet is D15?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 the dark ken night

What area are you from OP?

For that money it's going to be a council estate I would say. If that's the kind of place your used to then super. If not it won't be for you I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,028 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Castleknock, Carpenterstown, Clonsilla (most of it anyway), Porterstown, most of Blanchardstown. Actually most of D15.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What part of safe and quiet is D15?

Plenty of it, did you ever live there?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Thestart

Hartstown is an ok area i had a house there some years ago and didn't have any trouble at all. You could try Tyrrelstown for a two bed but i can't see you getting to town in 30mins. Lived in both places and both very nice places to buy first home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod Note

Sweeping generalisations about areas are not welcome on this forum. Please keep that in mind when suggesting areas to buy in or to avoid. Facts and figures are appreciated, rumour and stereotypes not so much so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

somewhere on the northside near the ew luas crosscity line, that will stop on westmoreland street? I cant see you getting much southside for that budget on decent transport links...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

http://www.daft.ie/sales/10-larkhill-road-whitehall-dublin/981187/

good area but issue with tenancy agreement, could find out details.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭dollar_king

cd1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking to buy a 2/3 bed house in a safe and relatively quiet residential area near amenities in Dublin, First Time Buyer. Budget €200,000 max.

I'll do a 30-45 min cycle max to Westmorland street daily. I do drive but city can be hetic in the a.m.! I am searching on my home, daft.ie and adverts.ie . I don't want a house requiring a lot of maintenance.

Thanks in advance for any area suggestions or properties found.

would you consider maynoth , train into town each day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Kilbarrack. The reputation it has is absolute rubbish. Despite (Sorry wrong word!!) Irish parents my wife is middle class with an English accent, I'm working class English but sound posh to you lot :pac: moved here recently after being given a load of waffle from people who'd never lived in the area and sooooooooo glad we listened to people that knew the area.

-Neighbours are lovely!
    -Kids play on the estate are the politest I've ever met
    -Loads of green space
    -Dart is dead handy
    -I'm fat and have just finished a Dominos for 3 and can cycle into Ballsbridge in under an hour, cycle lanes into town are great.
    -Beach up the road
    -Parks everywhere
    -Near the posh bits on the Northside when you're feeling flush!

While I'm here, thanks to everyone who gave me good advice when I asked on here quite a while back!

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/95-briarfield-grove-kilbarrack-dublin-5/3275748 - Around the corner from me.

Edit Adverts.ie for a house - thats a new one but then the first the wife and I fell in love with was off adverts! I highly recomend Myhome.ie sorry if that offends boards.ie which owns Daft! (or vise versa) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭pandoraj09

Quite a few houses for sale under 200,000 in Cabra...North city...A lot of this area is very settled now. It's pretty much on the doorstep of the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Crumlin. Just outside the canals so much closer to city centre than D15. There's a few houses under €200k and most bits of it are fine. If you want to know the colourful bits to avoid, just ask. For that price, the houses probably won't be in bespoke condition.

D8 is also worth checking out. Again, some bits better than others.

gaius c wrote: »

Oddly not always indicated by price. Some of the areas I would consider very rough attract high prices for what you get.

Oddly not always indicated by price. Some of the areas I would consider very rough attract high prices for what you get.

Absolutely agreed. Saw a few places on myhome for Reuben St in particular and I'm shaking my head wondering if these vendors had ever walked around the surrounding area. Sure the houses themselves are characterful red bricks but 300 plus per sq ft is fairly cheeky in an area with intermittent but serious social problems.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Crumlin. Just outside the canals so much closer to city centre than D15. There's a few houses under €200k and most bits of it are fine. If you want to know the colourful bits to avoid, just ask. For that price, the houses probably won't be in bespoke condition.

I live in Crumlin and I'd second this. There are a few dodge spots (like everywhere) but you'll find something for under €200k. There's 2 houses on Kells Road for €185k, quiet street, 20-ish minute cycle to town, loads of shops and Matt The Rashers only a few minutes away.

Absolutely agreed. Saw a few places on myhome for Reuben St in particular and I'm shaking my head wondering if these vendors had ever walked around the surrounding area. Sure the houses themselves are characterful red bricks but 300 plus per sq ft is fairly cheeky in an area with intermittent but serious social problems.

Funny you mention that particular street! Absolute madness down there a year or two ago when I was looking. People paying absolutely bonkers money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    I live in Crumlin and I'd second this. There are a few dodge spots (like everywhere) but you'll find something for under €200k. There's 2 houses on Kells Road for €185k, quiet street, 20-ish minute cycle to town, loads of shops and Matt The Rashers only a few minutes away.

Yeah, I'd agree with Crumlin. I'm from there and it was only a 20 minute cycle to town. Bus lane most of the way into town and a good choice of buses on Crumlin Road.

I miss Matt the Rashers :mad:

there are currently 216 three bed houses in dublin for sale at 200k or less so there still is value out there.

http://www.daft.ie/dublin-city/houses-for-sale/?s[mxp]=200000&s[mnb]=3&s[pt_id]=1

• Advertisement

there are currently 216 three bed houses in dublin for sale at 200k or less so there still is value out there.

http://www.daft.ie/dublin-city/houses-for-sale/?s[mxp]=200000&s[mnb]=3&s[pt_id]=1

Ah here. If the place is a pyrite-infested wreck in a condemned building worth 50k at most but has a price tag of 190k, it's "good value"?
    You're confusing "cheap" with "value".

Ah here. If the place is a pyrite-infested wreck in a condemned building worth 50k at most but has a price tag of 190k, it's "good value"?
    You're confusing "cheap" with "value".

Pyrite is a problem for the new builds look through a list of 216 houses i'm sure you will fine one , You only need one house to live in

Pyrite is a problem for the new builds look through a list of 216 houses i'm sure you will fine one , You only need one house to live in

You're missing the point of my post which is that you have confused "cheap" with "value". Just because it's under €200k doesn't mean that it's value. A place at that price level could actually be really bad value at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

You're missing the point of my post which is that you have confused "cheap" with "value". Just because it's under €200k doesn't mean that it's value. A place at that price level could actually be really bad value at that price.

...Or great value. With a couple of hundred possibilities, you're bound to find something worthwhile.

Just because it's cheaper than the norm doesnt mean its bad or good value per se if you want to dice it up. But been a glass half full person out of 200 id say there is a few

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dublin21

Ive lived around Rueben street for 2 years now in one of those houses and never had any issues or experienced any anti social behaviour.. I use the Fatima end regularly for the Luas and Walk down cork street most mornings/evenings for work.

I seen a house on the road for 280k which I think is overpriced for that particular house but I would not say its a bad area from my experience.

(However what I will say about the area is that I have never seen as many people litter so openly, and that includes Adults and kids!)

Advertisement