Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broke couch in rented accommodation

Options
  • 30-07-2015 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi guys our 3seater couch recently broke , seems years old and wood when I looked at it seemed bit weak anyways it's the landlords, haven't told him yet as I'm afraid.

I was thinking of buying a second hand nice set of furniture and if allowed to throw away the old broke couch whilst if we ever move out to leave the furniture there.

Would it be ok for us to replace the couch and to throw away the broken one or should we ask the landlord first incase he gets angry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Miamiheat

i'd say the truth to the landlord and offer what you have to offer to compensate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You absolutely need to get the landlord's approval, if you dispose of their property without their consent (written if possible) you leave yourself open to the landlord seeking money to replace their original couch claiming it was far superior to the replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

Thanks guys I ll give him a ring in the morning and see what he says

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MsGiggles

Exactly the same thing happened to me. Sofa and chairs broke because they were so old ! We rang the landlord and said we can either buy ourselves a new one and take it when we leave or you can replace . They told us to work away and get a new set and they came to take old away. It isn't your fault if something breaks because it's old. Don't feel bad about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

MsGiggles wrote:
    Exactly the same thing happened to me. Sofa and chairs broke because they were so old ! We rang the landlord and said we can either buy ourselves a new one and take it when we leave or you can replace . They told us to work away and get a new set and they came to take old away. It isn't your fault if something breaks because it's old. Don't feel bad about it.

It kinda is though my daughter and her dad ran to sit on it too many a times , hopefully the landlord doesn't freak out and let's us replace it ourselves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Hi guys our 3seater couch recently broke , seems years old and wood when I looked at it seemed bit weak anyways it's the landlords, haven't told him yet as I'm afraid.

I was thinking of buying a second hand nice set of furniture and if allowed to throw away the old broke couch whilst if we ever move out to leave the furniture there.

Would it be ok for us to replace the couch and to throw away the broken one or should we ask the landlord first incase he gets angry

Speaking from a landlord's viewpoint, accidents can happen . Such is life. Your offer to replace the furniture and dispose of the old one would be acceptable to me. I am sure any reasonable landlord would welcome your call and your solution to remedy the situation:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

+1 on the above. If they have a freak then they're in the wrong line of business.

Advertisement