Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering systems maintenance DIT

Options
  • 30-07-2015 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

hi lads just wondering does anyone know anything about this course?

http://www.dit.ie/study/parttime/programmes/dt012engineeringsystemsmaintenance/#d.en.13617

Considering doing it myself just wanted to see what people thought of it?

Looking to try make a move into data centre industry looks like you need to be upskilling to degree level.

I was thinking either the above or rose electrical services engineering.

Any advice appreciated,

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I don't know anything about this course. But a friend of mine completed a similar course a number of years ago. He was lucky enough to be industry sponsored so upon successful completion he was guaranteed a permanent position. Anyway he spoke very highly of the course and throughly enjoyed it.

I assume you have done your homework and believe there to be plenty of opportunities for people with this qualification?
    If this course isn't accredited by Engineers Ireland it would be best to avoid it in my opinion.

I would suggest that you contact a few employers before considering the electrical services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

2011 wrote: »
    I don't know anything about this course. But a friend of mine completed a similar course a number of years ago. He was lucky enough to be industry sponsored so upon successful completion he was guaranteed a permanent position. Anyway he spoke very highly of the course and throughly enjoyed it.

I assume you have done your homework and believe there to be plenty of opportunities for people with this qualification?
    If this course isn't accredited by Engineers Ireland it would be best to avoid it in my opinion.

I would suggest that you contact a few employers before considering the electrical services.

Hi 2011 thanks for the reply, I didn't think about the course being accredited,which it isn't so I might put that one aside.

I also looked at http://www.dit.ie/catalogue/Programmes/Details/DT016

Would you share your thoughts on that one? I think your controls orientated correct?

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi 2011 thanks for the reply, I didn't think about the course being accredited,which it isn't so I might put that one aside.

I also looked at http://www.dit.ie/catalogue/Programmes/Details/DT016

Excellent course in my opinion and I am confident it is accredited by EI (check with them anyway).
    A lot of demand for graduates from a course like this.
    The maths can be demanding especially for someone that left school a number of years ago.

I would not think that a maintenance role would be as interesting, certainly not for me anyway.
    I think your controls orientated correct?

Yes.
    It keeps me busy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Is DT016 a part time version of DT009?

bassey wrote: »
    Is DT016 a part time version of DT009?

It looks like it, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Note on the maths. Kevin street have a free maths academy now, I was speaking to a graduate recently he used it to bring his maths up as there is very little in the elec service side of things and he wanted to push on.

I'd imagine that it would be a huge help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

I would agree and think that DT016 looks like a very interesting course. I didnt have any problems with maths through school or phase 4/6 so I would hope with a bit of work I should be ok.

Only problem is the cost,I think it's nearly 3k for the first year

I'm also 30 would you think 34 is verging on the old side for entering new career?

Stoner wrote: »
    Note on the maths. Kevin street have a free maths academy now

They have had this for quite a while now.
    I used it when I was there. I found it a great help.

2011 wrote:
    They have had this for quite a while now. I used it when I was there. I found it a great help.

I'd say you nearly bankrupted them!!!*
    :)

I would agree and think that DT016 looks like a very interesting course. I didnt have any problems with maths through school or phase 4/6 so I would hope with a bit of work I should be ok.

I didn't have trouble with the maths as an apprentice either. This is pitched at a very different level, believe me.

• Advertisement

I'm also 30 would you think 34 is verging on the old side for entering new career?

No. I've encountered good lads at that age. It's still young and handy to look a bit older at meetings.

Stoner wrote: »
    I'd say you nearly bankrupted them!!!*
    :)

Let's say I got my money's worth :)

I was older.
    Best career decision I ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lleyn

I did DT009 aswell, it's a good course but like a lot of things the more effort you put into it the more you will gt out of it. Remember some employers especially large UK based engineering companies will want to see your results from every year of the course not just final year.
    As said earlier in this thread the staff in the maths learning center are excellent.
    Anyone I know who left education at the end of of the level 7 degree were all hired in a wide range of roles. A lot including myself went on to do further study.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭zega

http://www.dit.ie/study/parttime/az/

DT016 isnt shown on this list,is it still offered??

Ive applied to do Engineering systems maintenance this year aswell.....

Advertisement