Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steps after getting keys

Options
  • 30-07-2015 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

First time buyer just got my keys.
    wondering if I am forgetting anything below and accounts to setup:

electricity/gas
    UPC
    Bins? how does that work?
    post forwarding

landlord left old beds and some junk in the house including a huge overgrown garden that will probably fill in a big skip. In the states we had the right to one annual pickup of oversized stuff and furniture and debris etc... It was once a year per house: is there anything similar here?

any other ideas welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I thought when you bought a property it had to be cleared out beforehand or otherwise the buyer/solr could charge the previous owner the cost of removing his possessions (unless it was agreed he'd leave them to you?). Don't think you have any comeback re overgrown garden.

And no, as far as I know, there is no right here to any pickup

Register with Irish Water

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Miamiheat

Landlord was renting to tenants before and i thought the last bits would be removed since there is also a small TV and UPC box... Anyways it was not that important to me. Just wondering if I have to pay for a skip for sure or if there are other alternatives (i can sell/donate furniture but dead plants...)

Cab anyone explain how the rubbish bin system works for houses?

Depends on where you live. If you're in Dublin, a no. of companies operate - I think Panda, Greenstar, City Bin, Greyhound operate but not sure.

Friends who live down the country have collection from a local company

Other people buy bin tags in local shop and tagged bags are collected by a certain company.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Miamiheat wrote: »
    Cab anyone explain how the rubbish bin system works for houses?

The local council website will likely have links to who does rubbish remove in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Landlord was renting to tenants before and i thought the last bits would be removed since there is also a small TV and UPC box... Anyways it was not that important to me. Just wondering if I have to pay for a skip for sure or if there are other alternatives (i can sell/donate furniture but dead plants...)

Check your contract on the house sale.

It's a fairly standard clause that the house is to be handed over cleared of all possessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Give stuff away for free on just say for collection only.
    www.adverts.ie
    www.jumbletown.ie
    http://www.freetradeireland.ie/

Failing that a trip to your local civic recycling centre, (you can bring anything within reason)
    charge €15 per car full.
    eg http://www.sdcc.ie/services/recycling-waste/recycling-centres
    Depends on your location of course, but check your local council website/

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Doolittle51

You forgot step 1, the most important one:

Change the locks

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's pretty inevitable either way that when you move into a property you will have stuff to throw out. Usually it's cleaning up gardens and attics, but sometimes old crap is left in sheds. Yes, the contract will state vacant possession, but if the sale is closed and you have the keys, are you realistically going to try and sue the vendor for the cost of disposing?

No, there's no free collection of junk service around. Your options are to load up a car yourself and bring it to the local waste depot (in South Dublin it's €15 per load), or get a skip. Doesn't have to be a big steel one, you can get a 4 tonne skip bag http://keywaste.ie/babyskip/ collected for €110.

seamus wrote: »
    It's pretty inevitable either way that when you move into a property you will have stuff to throw out. Usually it's cleaning up gardens and attics, but sometimes old crap is left in sheds. Yes, the contract will state vacant possession, but if the sale is closed and you have the keys, are you realistically going to try and sue the vendor for the cost of disposing?

No, there's no free collection of junk service around. Your options are to load up a car yourself and bring it to the local waste depot (in South Dublin it's €15 per load), or get a skip. Doesn't have to be a big steel one, you can get a 4 tonne skip bag http://keywaste.ie/babyskip/ collected for €110.

Thank you all for the information. I don't expect the ex-landlord to deal with it at all and if it was super important to me i would have mentioned something before signing. Half the stuff that was left will come in handy. The rest is easy to dispose off. My question was more geared towards the organic stuff (plants, cuttings, trimmings) from the VERY VERY overgrown garden. I can cut it all but it may be a few trips to the disposal place. I guess i will make a pile first and re-estimate my needs for skip or bag.

Thank you again for all the precious info.

• Advertisement

You forgot step 1, the most important one:

Change the locks

Good one!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thank you all for the information. I don't expect the ex-landlord to deal with it at all and if it was super important to me i would have mentioned something before signing. Half the stuff that was left will come in handy. The rest is easy to dispose off. My question was more geared towards the organic stuff (plants, cuttings, trimmings) from the VERY VERY overgrown garden. I can cut it all but it may be a few trips to the disposal place. I guess i will make a pile first and re-estimate my needs for skip or bag.

Thank you again for all the precious info.
    If your waste collection provides a compost bin you can fill that with the organic stuff from the garden.

previous occupiers loaded bins with all kinds of mixed garbage. And i suspect any passers-by have dumped whatever they wanted since the bins have been out for at least 3 months.
    One bin says "greyhound" but not the others...

Called Greyhound and they say they can collect them empty but I have to deal with the waste.. What kind of crap is that?

Too late now, I know, but your solr should have told you to check all those things before you signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Compost the garden material.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

congrats on your new abode! Where I'm from we had a 'hard rubbish' collection every 6 months or so as well - a great evening for a stole if you were a student in the market for a new sofa/piano etc.! Alas there is nothing like that going on in Ireland as far as I'm aware but I'd say try the likes of freecycle.ie or jumbletown as mentioned above. If your garden is big enough you could just pile up the clippings in a corner for now and you might be surprised how fast the organic material breaks down.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Check your contract on the house sale.

It's a fairly standard clause that the house is to be handed over cleared of all possessions.

And its routinely ignored when it comes to rubbish and junk. Technically the purchaser could sue for the cost of disposing of anything left in the house but in reality they won't get anywhere.
    Too late now, I know, but your solr should have told you to check all those things before you signed.

Generally neither purchaser nor vendor is prepared to hold up the closing of a sale to inspect for these minor items.

The OP is clear that he has no problem disposing of what has been left behind, unfortunately his only options are to do it himself or pay a private company to remove it for him.

Advertisement