Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

The app itself should have a timer so you could set the time to start prior to you leaving for run and it will start at that time - set it for 15 mins before you return from run.

Note
    (on the app its time to start for 15 mins - on the car timer its the time to be at the required temperature)

Yep, timer on the App worked perfectly, thanks!

Anyone know if Quick Park on Marlborough St in Dublin still have 2 chargers on site? I used them a year ago, but no mention of them on the eCars app now. Heading in to town tomorrow and it would be handy to park there and charge. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

jasonb wrote: »
    Anyone know if Quick Park on Marlborough St in Dublin still have 2 chargers on site? I used them a year ago, but no mention of them on the eCars app now. Heading in to town tomorrow and it would be handy to park there and charge. Thanks!

They seem to have moved from ecars to GOcharger - and this is expensive at something like 30c per kw and 1euro starting fee. The ecars would of been free (at present) and you still have to pay for parking.

I don't think this will last.

They really should encourage if they want electric cars to utilise their car park as opposed to discourage.

Cool, thanks, will give it a miss...

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Recently bought a 2011 Leaf-10 bars on battery. i regularly do a 50km journey. I fully charge the battery which states that I have 125km available. At the end of the 50km journey the car is telling me I have 40 km available. Somewhere along the way 35km has vanished or has it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's a guess o meter
    The leaf is always presuming that you are prepared to flintstone the car for part, or that you always drive downhill!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

pjproby wrote: »
    Recently bought a 2011 Leaf-10 bars on battery. i regularly do a 50km journey. I fully charge the battery which states that I have 125km available. At the end of the 50km journey the car is telling me I have 40 km available. Somewhere along the way 35km has vanished or has it?

I have a 2012 with 10 bars as well. If you are lucky you might get 100 in traffic, depending on the weather. I don't think there is much hope (unless you are going 60kms/h) to get 125kms from that car in a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

pjproby wrote: »

The range indicator (or guess-o-meter (GOM) as it is often called) doesn't know what speed you're going to travel at when sitting on the drive in the morning, so it assumes you'll be driving slowly through a city, where 125km might be achieveable. As you start to drive faster on the motorway you should see it adjust to a more realistic range, but again it doesn't know if the motorway you're on will be uphill or downhill, high wind or low wind etc and it will be a guess.

When your car was new the safest way to figure out the range was to asusme 1km per % of battery left, or 100km total range. With 10 bars left this means your battery only really has somewhere around 80% of it's total capacity, so 0.75km per % of range (or 3km per 4%) of range might be more realistic on motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 adropofred

Thanks for all the great info on this forum.
    I bought a span new 40K Leaf a few weeks ago and love driving it - already have 1500 KM done.. It's my first EV so loads of things to figure out but that is half the fun.
    The real issue I am having is with the tracking - the car drifts slightly to the left from the first day I got it. I've been back to the Garage 3 times and today they replaced the wishbones but this hasn't fixed the issue. They told me all their computer tests tell them that everything is perfect but the drive contradicts their claims. They are now bringing it in next week again.
    Has anyone experienced similar issues ?
    Very frustrating to have issues on an expensive ( for me!) new car not to mention taking time off from work.
    Appreciate any feedback ?

adropofred wrote: »
    Thanks for all the great info on this forum.
    I bought a span new 40K Leaf a few weeks ago and love driving it - already have 1500 KM done.. It's my first EV so loads of things to figure out but that is half the fun.
    The real issue I am having is with the tracking - the car drifts slightly to the left from the first day I got it. I've been back to the Garage 3 times and today they replaced the wishbones but this hasn't fixed the issue. They told me all their computer tests tell them that everything is perfect but the drive contradicts their claims. They are now bringing it in next week again.
    Has anyone experienced similar issues ?
    Very frustrating to have issues on an expensive ( for me!) new car not to mention taking time off from work.
    Appreciate any feedback ?

One thing - camber bolts, I believe the leaf has no adjustment but I’ve found it to be very camber sensitive. They could fit camber bolts to adjust this, however I would advise using a very expert alignment company to get it just right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭skinthegoat

Very interesting. I'm looking into buying my first EV and found myself browsing on the irishevowners.ie website. There's an article there by a Wayne Gibbons that talks about tracking problems with the Leaf back in 2017 which might be of interest to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

The granny cable isn't designed to be the primary means of charging, get a charge point installed and be done with it.

I advise a 32 amp capable charge point if you get buy an EV with a 30 Kwh battery or more.
    Recently picked up a 30kw 2017 leaf. What home charger do you recommend that could be solar ready and allows for elec shower? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

Zappi is the one if you've an electric shower and are planning on solar panels. You won't need a priority switch with the electric shower and it can send solar PV excess to the car (although that's only useful if the car will be at home during the day).

• Registered Users Posts: 12 adropofred

Very interesting. I'm looking into buying my first EV and found myself browsing on the irishevowners.ie website. There's an article there by a Wayne Gibbons that talks about tracking problems with the Leaf back in 2017 which might be of interest to you.
    Thanks to you both! If this isn't resolved shortly , do I have grounds for a new replacement car?

adropofred wrote: »
    Thanks to you both! If this isn't resolved shortly , do I have grounds for a new replacement car?

If you wish to go down that road I would advise an independent wheel alignment check to prove the out of specs before pushing on it. Also go for a test drive in another one to see if its pulling.

_dof_ wrote: »
    Zappi is the one if you've an electric shower and are planning on solar panels. You won't need a priority switch with the electric shower and it can send solar PV excess to the car (although that's only useful if the car will be at home during the day).
    Can I pick up a Zappi myself on ebay or teh likes and get a RECCI Registered sparks to install it once I received the letter of commencement from SEAI? Is there any SEAI grant available toward a 2017 model as it would have helped to keep original cost down!
    4 kid family with lots of short 14km runs in and out of town for activities so looking forward to have the elec car going as especially wont have all of us in the car for the majority of these runs! Thanks for all the help and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Can I pick up a Zappi myself on ebay or teh likes and get a RECCI Registered sparks to install it once I received the letter of commencement from SEAI?

Yes
    Is there any SEAI grant available toward a 2017 model as it would have helped to keep original cost down!

Yes, if you bought it in 2018+.
    The charge point grant was changed to include second hand car purchases after that date.

KCross wrote: »
    Yes

Yes, if you bought it in 2018+.
    The charge point grant was changed to include second hand car purchases after that date.

Bugger so.the fact I went for a 2017 30kw leaf I am unable to get any seai grant towards the purchase price....dooh

Bugger so.the fact I went for a 2017 30kw leaf I am unable to get any seai grant towards the purchase price....dooh

No the car can be older but purchased by you 2018+

You can claim the grant for the charge point if you bought the car(new or s/h) after Jan 2018, just not the grant for the car itself.

• Advertisement

No the car can be older but purchased by you 2018+

Spoke to seai today and they said the grant only applies to new ev cars and the home charger

Spoke to seai today and they said the grant only applies to new ev cars and the home charger

I think you've misunderstood them or they misunderstood your question..

The details of the home charge point grant are clearly laid out...
    https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/electric-vehicle-home-charger-grant/

You get the home charge point grant for new and secondhand cars as long as you bought it after Jan 2018

The vehicle grant is on new cars only which seems to be the confusion.

This is incorrect see paragraph 3
    https://www.seai.ie/blog/electric-vehicle-home-cha/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

There is confusion here.
    Spoke to seai today and they said a grant only applies to new ev cars and the home charger

There is a grant for brand new EVs.
    And there is a grant for the home charger for new and second hand EVs.
    Separate grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Always following this trend and always insteresr in the EV tech.

Persuaded the better halfs mother I needed to drop them to the airport in her leaf 40 yesterday.

Really impressed with the acceleration thought the E peddle was a brilliant idea!. Definitely converted and really want one. Just can't pull the trigger with the cost. My 10year old ICE 1.5tdi avg 4.6L per 100km doing 15,000km per annuam (currently 205,000km on the clock). I'll need to wait untill it dies, the misses has zero interest apart from it drives.

Often travel from Dublin city to Waterford city down the M7/M9. Would a leaf 40 do it fully charged? If I factor in spin to work then Waterford I am looking at 200km one way. Would I manage this on a single charge at 110kph, or cutting it to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

KCross wrote: »
    I think you've misunderstood them or they misunderstood your question..

The details of the home charge point grant are clearly laid out...
    https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/electric-vehicle-home-charger-grant/

You get the home charge point grant for new and secondhand cars as long as you bought it after Jan 2018

The vehicle grant is on new cars only which seems to be the confusion.

A colleague of mine bought a 151 Leaf last week. He applied for a home charge point grant. Got the grant approved already. Contacted electricireland.ie and is getting a charger installed, incl priority switch, for €749 before grant ... sweet...

sonyvision wrote: »
    Always following this trend and always insteresr in the EV tech.

Persuaded the better halfs mother I needed to drop them to the airport in her leaf 40 yesterday.

Really impressed with the acceleration thought the E peddle was a brilliant idea!. Definitely converted and really want one. Just can't pull the trigger with the cost. My 10year old ICE 1.5tdi avg 4.6L per 100km doing 15,000km per annuam (currently 205,000km on the clock). I'll need to wait untill it dies, the misses has zero interest apart from it drives.

Often travel from Dublin city to Waterford city down the M7/M9. Would a leaf 40 do it fully charged? If I factor in spin to work then Waterford I am looking at 200km one way. Would I manage this on a single charge at 110kph, or cutting it to close.

You’d be talking a 20 min stop to top up on the way, that’s at the 110kph. I have a L40 and love it but a L60 would be nice or even a M3 if you have the money. In saying that I took mine to France etc but you need to plan. Any journey with one stop is easy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

Looking to purchase a new EV and leaning mostly to LEAF 40Kw, mainly due to affordability. Otherwise would go for M3.

Just reading up on thread and other online resources and wondering if leaf only been chademo is bad thing since nearly all others are now using ccs? just wondering is chademo old tech or pushed out as a result of CCS being more popular? Any limitation of been able to charge at current public charge points or ones planned in future?

initially was looking to buy second hand but local Nissan garage is going to offer 3 k scrappage which makes it the same cost of some 18/19 reg cars as don't get scrappage with that. Will be going in either tomorrow or day after and see what deal i can get.

My current ancient car (19+) has succumb to rust and no longer feasible to keep repairing year on year so will be looking for a fast replacement be it another banger or new. I think long term i even with loan i should be better for it considering reduced running costs.

any guidelines/previous experience/questions to ask dealer etc is appreciated.

note: my usage is city living. id say 5k km's a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Efitz2019

Laviski wrote: »
    Looking to purchase a new EV and leaning mostly to LEAF 40Kw, mainly due to affordability. Otherwise would go for M3.

Just reading up on thread and other online resources and wondering if leaf only been chademo is bad thing since nearly all others are now using ccs? just wondering is chademo old tech or pushed out as a result of CCS being more popular? Any limitation of been able to charge at current public charge points or ones planned in future?

initially was looking to buy second hand but local Nissan garage is going to offer 3 k scrappage which makes it the same cost of some 18/19 reg cars as don't get scrappage with that. Will be going in either tomorrow or day after and see what deal i can get.

My current ancient car (19+) has succumb to rust and no longer feasible to keep repairing year on year so will be looking for a fast replacement be it another banger or new. I think long term i even with loan i should be better for it considering reduced running costs.

If only doing 5k a year pick up an L30 for nearly half the price and enjoy the reduced running costs.

• Advertisement

Laviski wrote: »

Chademo won’t be going anywhere for some time, yes ccs is on nearly all of the other manufacturers cars but that is because they are the ones bringing in the ccs standard to push out chademo. There will be more ccs charge units in the future as some private companies like ionity only do ccs. However chademo is at every ECars fast site and additionally there tends to be fast chargers at Nissan garages. The L40 is a perfect city car but can also do decent journeys- I’ve taken mine to France and back. The real thing is what is your normal 99% use case and if it fits that go for it. If you’re mainly using city and say surrounding counties it’s fine. It only gets itself into distance troubles when you need to fast charge more than twice in a journey. Do you have a driveway to charge as this is more important and means that you are always starting at 100% or so. Note for me I commute to Dublin 80k a day and it’s saving me a lot but also is so much nicer to drive in traffic etc.

Advertisement