Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Leaf is bigger than Kona and Clio.
    It wouldn't be in the small car category, a big misconception around the place.

Would be comparable to a focus etc size wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Evil_g wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Just spotted this on the EV bargains thread:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-ev-30kw-sve-2016/24203709

Am I missing something, or does €13k for a 161 30kw SVE seem too good to be true?

It appears that because of the mileage just about everything would be out of warranty, so is there anything in particular I should be looking out for?

Could the battery be in bad shape? What's the best way to check this?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you give me.

Would have battery warranty and drivetrain warranty up to 160k or 8 years. I would say the milage and it could be 2 bars down is affecting the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

JPA wrote: »
    Leaf is bigger than Kona and Clio.
    It wouldn't be in the small car category, a big misconception around the place.

Would be comparable to a focus etc size wise.

I did not know that. Thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We found there was more room in the rear seat of the Leaf coming straight from an Avensis, bit of a Tardis is the Leaf

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭1perriwinkle

Hi,

It's been very quiet on here recently but I have a few questions I'm hoping for answers to. I've been watching this board for a few months, ever since I decided I wanted to buy an EV and narrowed it down to a Leaf. I confess I haven't read all 177 pages of posts, but I have read some. My story is that I arranged a loan of €15k with a view to buying a Leaf for a new job I was starting that was going to required a 30km round trip each way. The journey is about 20 mins with no traffic, about 45+ mins during rush hour. Some motorway (about 10 minutes) then into a tailback for the last 5km. I was going to make a purchase about 3 weeks ago, just when the country started shutting down, and then I was directed to work from home for my new job so was/am not needing a car for the foreseeable future. When all this craziness has passed I will go looking again but that probably won't be for a few months. In addition to the commute, I'll probably do some weekend driving but nothing too crazy in terms of KM's

I fully confess to having a limited knowledge of cars in general, EV's in particular but I'm interested in an EV for environmental reasons, and cost savings. When I do go looking, here's what I'd like know:
    - As a first time (second hand) EV buyer should I buy from a dealer? Or if I buy from a private buyer, how do I know it's a 'safe' deal.
    - I had set my mind on a 30kwh car, is this the best one to get for the journey I will be doing?
    - Where's the best place to go looking? I had been scanning Donedeal for a few months, and had visited a couple of dealers, but are there other car websites I should visit?
    - My partner travels to the UK with work regularly. Is it better value to buy a car from the UK and bring it over? And/or would the bringing home of an EV car be a bit ambitious for first time EV driver bearing in mind the charging along the way?
    - What extras come as standard with Leaf? I don't mean heated seats, I mean 'parts' such as the charging cable etc
    - What's the minimum maximum milage I should looking for?
    - Is there other specific things I should be looking for?
    - Any other tips or tricks or suggestions for a newbie?

Finally, I realise that the world has turned on its head in the last few weeks and who knows what it will look like in another couple of months so maybe base your answers on the 'life before Covid' picture of how things were.

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭optimal

Hi,

It's been very quiet on here recently but I have a few questions I'm hoping for answers to. I've been watching this board for a few months, ever since I decided I wanted to buy an EV and narrowed it down to a Leaf. I confess I haven't read all 177 pages of posts, but I have read some. My story is that I arranged a loan of €15k with a view to buying a Leaf for a new job I was starting that was going to required a 30km round trip each way. The journey is about 20 mins with no traffic, about 45+ mins during rush hour. Some motorway (about 10 minutes) then into a tailback for the last 5km. I was going to make a purchase about 3 weeks ago, just when the country started shutting down, and then I was directed to work from home for my new job so was/am not needing a car for the foreseeable future. When all this craziness has passed I will go looking again but that probably won't be for a few months. In addition to the commute, I'll probably do some weekend driving but nothing too crazy in terms of KM's

I fully confess to having a limited knowledge of cars in general, EV's in particular but I'm interested in an EV for environmental reasons, and cost savings. When I do go looking, here's what I'd like know:
    - As a first time (second hand) EV buyer should I buy from a dealer? Or if I buy from a private buyer, how do I know it's a 'safe' deal.
    - I had set my mind on a 30kwh car, is this the best one to get for the journey I will be doing?
    - Where's the best place to go looking? I had been scanning Donedeal for a few months, and had visited a couple of dealers, but are there other car websites I should visit?
    - My partner travels to the UK with work regularly. Is it better value to buy a car from the UK and bring it over? And/or would the bringing home of an EV car be a bit ambitious for first time EV driver bearing in mind the charging along the way?
    - What extras come as standard with Leaf? I don't mean heated seats, I mean 'parts' such as the charging cable etc

Finally, I realise that the world has turned on its head in the last few weeks and who knows what it will look like in another couple of months so maybe base your answers on the 'life before Covid' picture of how things were.

Thanks in advance!

The range of a 30kwh Leaf ranges from 80km on motorway to 140 km in summer limiting to 100ish km/hr. For your journey on average it would look to me that you will get 100km or so on average in winter.so for your journey a leaf 30 will do you fine. A Leaf 24 would probably work either. If you can charge at work then you're only worried about one way. If it was me I would disregard charging at work, it's another job you have to do, if there's a problem you're in trouble, it will eventually be charged for if not already.

If you have plenty of range in relation to your journey then you can drive it on like it should be driven instead of worrying about your range.

You will usually get a type 1 "slow" charger cable for use at slow chargers. You are unlikely to get a granny cable which plugs into a socket and charges the car slowly, I guess around 10% of leaf 30 capacity an hour. The home charger or slow public charger will charge at 27% of capacity per hour but only if you have fast (6.6kw/hr) charger in the car. (some have 3.3 kw/hr charger, I would avoid).

There are other posters here who'll advise on price and sourcing, far sharper than i am!

I love the leaf, driving position is great, comfortable and so relaxing. I can't speak for other EVs tbh. I know I'd never go back.

Let me know if you want any more of my perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They are deceptively roomy in the rear tbf.

Maybe this and the other NISSAN LEAF thread could be combined?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

NIMAN wrote: »
    They are deceptively roomy in the rear tbf.

Maybe this and the other NISSAN LEAF thread could be combined?

have asked for this twice and think this would be the better thread to keep... but no joy

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Merged Nissan Leaf threads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

liamog wrote: »
    Mod Note: Merged Nissan Leaf threads

thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

The 30kWh Leaf easily does 100km in the winter. My wife commutes 100km in her L30 on the M4 and The M50. She gets home with 30% battery remaining in the winter, 40% in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Recently picked up a 2017 leaf acenta 30kw in the uk for good money though needed some TLC and I was not afraid to sort it out driving around a bit the last few weeks and loving it. would highly recommend trying uk especially if your partner is there sometimes when the restrictions lift. also you could use a car transporter company to bring it over for 300 odd snots to save the range anxiety etc. Best of luck and happy hunting!

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Recently picked up a 2017 leaf acenta 30kw in the uk for good money though needed some TLC and I was not afraid to sort it out driving around a bit the last few weeks and loving it. would highly recommend trying uk especially if your partner is there sometimes when the restrictions lift. also you could use a car transporter company to bring it over for 300 odd snots to save the range anxiety etc. Best of luck and happy hunting!

Didn't know there was such a thing as a car transporter company, great info, thanks

optimal wrote: »
    The range of a 30kwh Leaf ranges from 80km on motorway to 140 km in summer limiting to 100ish km/hr. For your journey on average it would look to me that you will get 100km or so on average in winter.so for your journey a leaf 30 will do you fine. A Leaf 24 would probably work either. If you can charge at work then you're only worried about one way. If it was me I would disregard charging at work, it's another job you have to do, if there's a problem you're in trouble, it will eventually be charged for if not already.

If you have plenty of range in relation to your journey then you can drive it on like it should be driven instead of worrying about your range.

You will usually get a type 1 "slow" charger cable for use at slow chargers. You are unlikely to get a granny cable which plugs into a socket and charges the car slowly, I guess around 10% of leaf 30 capacity an hour. The home charger or slow public charger will charge at 27% of capacity per hour but only if you have fast (6.6kw/hr) charger in the car. (some have 3.3 kw/hr charger, I would avoid).

There are other posters here who'll advise on price and sourcing, far sharper than i am!

I love the leaf, driving position is great, comfortable and so relaxing. I can't speak for other EVs tbh. I know I'd never go back.

Let me know if you want any more of my perspective.

There is a charging unit at my new office, I was thinking it might save me a few quid if I charged it there?

Good to know about the range, sounds like I might only have to charge it every other day. I would be doing full tilt on the motorway though so maybe not.

"but only if you have fast (6.6kw/hr) charger in the car. (some have 3.3 kw/hr charger, I would avoid)." - do you mean the actual cable?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

There is a charging unit at my new office, I was thinking it might save me a few quid if I charged it there?

Good to know about the range, sounds like I might only have to charge it every other day. I would be doing full tilt on the motorway though so maybe not.

"but only if you have fast (6.6kw/hr) charger in the car. (some have 3.3 kw/hr charger, I would avoid)." - do you mean the actual cable?

In the leaf, there is the onboard chargers in the front of the car. This has the really fast charger and the slow charger.

The slow charger can charge at a speed of 3.3 or 6.6. This means a car with a 6.6 onboard charger can charge twice as fast. So it’s a thing built in to the car at the factory. The 6.6 cars sell for a bit more than a 3.3.

In the leaf, there is the onboard chargers in the front of the car. This the really fast charger and the slow charger.

The slow charger can charge at a speed of 3.3 or 6.6. This means a car with a 6.6 onboard charger can charge twice as fast. So it’s a thing built in to the car at the factory. The 6.6 cars sell for a bit more than a 3.3.

Didn't realised that - thanks! #novice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

A 30kW Leaf with a 3.6kWh on board charger will charge from empty to 100% in less than 8 hours. (28kW÷3.6kWh=
    7.77hrs)
    With a 6.6kWh on board charger that time is halved, which for a commuter car is of little value.
    Soon all public charging will be pay per use so make your decisions based on your home charging needs.
    The standard 50kWh DC charger is more than adequate for longer trips.

slave1 wrote: »
    We found there was more room in the rear seat of the Leaf coming straight from an Avensis, bit of a Tardis is the Leaf

Friends of ours have a leaf and a Kona.
    I was very surprised to hear them say they take the leaf when they need the extra luggage space.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Kona is tiny compared to Leaf (on the inside)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Yep I have an L40 (same cabin size as L24/30 but bigger boot). I’m 6ft and even with drivers seat comfortably back I fit in back seat easily. Boot is about 100liters bigger than Kona also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 MyTax Ireland

Surprising about leaf size v Kona. Need to look at those dimensions again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Size totally ruled out the Kona as an option for me too. And that's coming from an i3 driver!

Back seat space in the Kona is non existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Kona is a supermini crossover. Like a Renault Captur. They are tiny, only suitable for 4 people and with very little luggage space. That's why the €40k price tag was pretty absurd. If you want a crossover EV with a long range, get a Kia eNiro instead. It's a full size bigger and doesn't cost any more.

unkel wrote: »
    Kona is a supermini crossover. Like a Renault Captur. They are tiny, only suitable for 4 people and with very little luggage space. That's why the €40k price tag was pretty absurd. If you want a crossover EV with a long range, get a Kia eNiro instead. It's a full size bigger and doesn't cost any more.

I had a Captur as a rental car in Spain recently, even that was a little less cramped in the back than the Kona I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Maybe the new model Captur that came out last year? The original is very much a small car as we found out to our detriment also as a rental car :p

unkel wrote: »
    Maybe the new model Captur that came out last year? The original is very much a small car as we found out to our detriment also as a rental car :p

Yeah think it was a fairly new one.

They originally gave me a banger and I had a moan so they sent me a nice new looking Captur.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Size totally ruled out the Kona as an option for me too. And that's coming from an i3 driver!

Back seat space in the Kona is non existent.

Can't be worse than i3????

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It is
    I3 has 4 comfortable seats.
    With the kona you can't have legs and sit in the back

McGiver wrote: »
    Can't be worse than i3????

Way worse. The i3 is deceptive. I'm not overly tall, 5'11" but I can comfortably sit behind my own driving position.

• Advertisement

PS unkle this is the Captur we had in Spain last month.

509694.jpg

Advertisement