Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭Soarer

Here's one.

Is the range-ometer conservative?

I've pulled into Cahir for a top up, and the range in the car was showing 20kms. The charger told me that the battery was at 35%.
    Basic maths would make 100% to be less than 60kms! Even in this yoke, that ain't right!

So is it overly cautious? Could I push it a bit further?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Soarer wrote: »
    Here's one.

I've pulled into Cahir for a top up, and the range in the car was showing 20kms. The charger told me that the battery was at 35%.
    Basic maths would make 100% to be less than 60kms! Even in this yoke, that ain't right!

The GOM (Guess O' Meter) is based on your previous drives no etc
    So at motorways speeds it will reduce etc

I ignore the GOM and work out my range based on the battery % display.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Here's one.

It's going to take you a bit of time to get comfortable with it - and determine (based on your driving and driving conditions, temperature, etc.) how far you can drive it. Most people ignore the KM GOM and go by percentage instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You got yourself a bargain, Soarer. Well wear!

And I can tell you, your wallet will be extremely pleased with your purchase :D

Ah nuggets!

Changed the number plate bulbs, no bother.
    Tried to change the first of the side lights, and they went dead. Must've blown a fuse. It seems to have taken out the number plate lights and the rear right parking light too. Brake lights are still working grand on both sides.

Is there any fuse box diagram floating about? Or does someone know where that fuse would be?

Shoulda just left well enough alone!

• Advertisement

Is there any fuse box diagram floating about? Or does someone know where that fuse would be?
    Others may be better able to advise but I *think* there are two separate fuse boxes in the Leaf - one under the hood and one on passenger side - inside the car.
    No doubt if you google it, you'll find the info you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Soarer wrote:
    Changed the number plate bulbs, no bother. Tried to change the first of the side lights, and they went dead. Must've blown a fuse. It seems to have taken out the number plate lights and the rear right parking light too. Brake lights are still working grand on both sides.

Soarer wrote:

Soarer wrote:

Soarer wrote:
    Ah nuggets!

Soarer wrote:
    Changed the number plate bulbs, no bother. Tried to change the first of the side lights, and they went dead. Must've blown a fuse. It seems to have taken out the number plate lights and the rear right parking light too. Brake lights are still working grand on both sides.

Soarer wrote:
    Ah nuggets!

Soarer wrote:

Soarer wrote:

Just did mine today and had the same issue with the reg plates and the side lights. Went to halfords and paid 11.99 for a fuse kit.

The fuses your looking for is In the fuse box to the right of the battery. They are upside down.

F6 is for the reg plates and f7 is for the side lights. Look at both fuses just in case I have it the other way around.

I went through 6 fuses before getting it right. For mine the leds would blow if they were the wrong way around. They were also causing a little hassle with the left vs the right side of the car. As in i had an led that would work at all in the right but worked fine on the left.

Lol, my last post went a bit weird. Using boards app on android.

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    Just did mine today and had the same issue with the reg plates and the side lights. Went to halfords and paid 11.99 for a fuse kit.

The fuses your looking for is In the fuse box to the right of the battery. They are upside down.

F6 is for the reg plates and f7 is for the side lights. Look at both fuses just in case I have it the other way around.

I went through 6 fuses before getting it right. For mine the leds would blow if they were the wrong way around. They were also causing a little hassle with the left vs the right side of the car. As in i had an led that would work at all in the right but worked fine on the left.

Is that the flat fuse box behind the 12V that's an absolute bitch to orientate?
    Not looking forward to manhandling that if it is!

Very very common problem with people changing the bulbs in a Leaf.
    You have to have the lights switched off and allow a minute for the system to power down. The front of the led bulb earths off the cars in there.

Get a mini 10a fuse.
    It goes into the fuse box to the right of the battery. It is number F7.

One is for the left side and one is for the right side, you can actually switch them around to confirm it's just the fuse gone. I done it while installing mine also :)

• Advertisement

Yeah that's the one, it's a red 10 amp fuse.

LED's need to be inserted by their correct polarity, failure to do so will blow a fuse.

Yeah. Just to the right of the battery above a little. It's awkward to orientate alright. But handy when you get used to it. You'll need a small pliers.

When it happened to me, I read online and I was going mad. I thought it was a tools out job. But no, I done it in the garden in the dark (with a torch). It's not as hard as the us forum guys make it out to be.

I have loads of the fuses here, but no use to you in cork :(

Right, another couple of things I need to ask.

Are the buttons in the centre console (around the sat nav) backlit?

When I'm charging using the chademo, it stops automatically at 90%. But if I restart, it might only take another 10 minutes to get to 100%. Is it bad for the battery to fast charge it to 100%? I've heard the charge rate isn't linear, and it slows down after around 80%. But could the fact my battery has started degrading mean that I can fast charge all the way to 100% without slowdown?

No your battery is about 85% of original capacity but will still show 100% on a "full" charge which is now at 85% give or take and not 100% as it was new if that makes sense but it's 100% of what is now available if that makes sense ?

The Leaf reduces power from about 45% and after that charges at about 30-35 Kw. for the 24 Kwh versions.

The Gen I didn't take too kindly to high fast charger usage and don't get it too hot because heat will accelerate further battery degradation .

Right, another couple of things I need to ask.

Are the buttons in the centre console (around the sat nav) backlit?

When I'm charging using the chademo, it stops automatically at 90%. But if I restart, it might only take another 10 minutes to get to 100%. Is it bad for the battery to fast charge it to 100%? I've heard the charge rate isn't linear, and it slows down after around 80%. But could the fact my battery has started degrading mean that I can fast charge all the way to 100% without slowdown?

In a Gen 1 car, I would probably try to granny charge over night if possible and have it fully charged every every morning rather than fast charging it unless you absolutely need the fast charge.

Thanks lads.

I've every intention of slow charging her whenever possible. It was just something I noticed today on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks lads.

I've every intention of slow charging her whenever possible. It was just something I noticed today on the way home.
    What you might consider is getting a home charger that has different charge settings so you can run it at the granny level when it suits but if you did want a quicker charge you have the rig to do it.
    Just an idea based on a charging rig I saw at the Energy show

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

OP here, got a 141 acenta 6.6kw over the weekend at last. I have a few questions (so far)
    1) i set up the charge timer to kick in at 3am to 80 % but it starts charging as soon as I plugged in, imagine easy to prevent?
    2) the GOM is woeful. Am I correct in thinking that I can change to % of battery used and if so how?
    3) have others a tendency to accidentally use the handbreak when feeling an overwhelming need to 'clutch', how soon to pass, have only done it a very slow speed so far but a worrying failure on my part.
    4) Have the home charger on a north facing wall any hope of a solar light being adequate and if so any recommendations?
    5) Went untethered for the sake of future proofing. Do people use the bag all the time or just a larger plastic bag that its easier to put into?

Balmed Out wrote: »
    OP here, got a 141 acenta 6.6kw over the weekend at last. I have a few questions (so far)
    1) i set up the charge timer to kick in at 3am to 80 % but it starts charging as soon as I plugged in, imagine easy to prevent?
    2) the GOM is woeful. Am I correct in thinking that I can change to % of battery used and if so how?
    3) have others a tendency to accidentally use the handbreak when feeling an overwhelming need to 'clutch', how soon to pass, have only done it a very slow speed so far but a worrying failure on my part.
    4) Have the home charger on a north facing wall any hope of a solar light being adequate and if so any recommendations?
    5) Went untethered for the sake of future proofing. Do people use the bag all the time or just a larger plastic bag that its easier to put into?

I can't help you with any of your questions, except maybe 3. For the next few trips, kinda pull your left leg back towards the driver's seat and leave your right leg extended. It's basically useless, so get it out of the way. You'll eventually get used to it, and wonder why you were clutching for all those years!

Best of luck with the car though. 'Twas the weekend for buying! ;)

• Advertisement

What you might consider is getting a home charger that has different charge settings so you can run it at the granny level when it suits but if you did want a quicker charge you have the rig to do it.
    Just an idea based on a charging rig I saw at the Energy show

You mean a charger with 2 sockets. A "normal" 3 pin socket, and a Type 1 socket for the Leaf?

Something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

[Offtopic]Never came across this 'well wear' business until I started checking out this (EV) forum![/Offtopic]

It's regularly used on motor forums when someone buys a car....including our regular motors forum.
    Ah nuggets!

Changed the number plate bulbs, no bother.
    Tried to change the first of the side lights, and they went dead. Must've blown a fuse. It seems to have taken out the number plate lights and the rear right parking light too. Brake lights are still working grand on both sides.

Same happened me. I also bought the halfords box of fuses. Total pain in the butt.

1) Make sure the charge timer is ON and not just set. Make sure you've selected the days too. When plugged in and timer is set, the 3 blue lights will flash in a sequence to say the car is preparing to charge. If any of the lights stay on and/or only one light flashes, then the car is charging. I set mine to start at midnight.

2) To the right of where an ignition key would usually be inserted, you will will 4 buttons. With the power on, press the top left button until you see the battery percentage.

3) You'll quickly get used to it. Don't worry.

4) Not entirely sure what you are asking here. If you need light to connect the car at night, a solar light will do, yes. Or a phone light.

5) I used tethered, so can't help you there.

OP here, got a 141 acenta 6.6kw over the weekend at last.
    Well done. What is mileage on it and what did you pay for it? Did you import or buy in IRL?

1. What goz83 said.
    2. Use battery percentage as your guide - forget GOM figures. After a couple of weeks, you'll get a sense of what is achievable.
    3. I doubt you'll be doing that for too much longer!
    4. Do you mean using solar panels to cover cost of charging? Not really a practical / sustainable option right now. You'd need a feed-in tariff firstly - as the likelihood is that your car wouldn't be around most of the time when the panels are reeling in power. Nightrate electricity can be had for 6 cents per kWh. Renewables is one to watch for the future for me - but not realistic right now.
    5. I never use the ruddy bag. Bag is still left in the boot but I never use it. I want the cable to be easily accessible to take out and put back in - it doesn't do me any harm to leave it unpacked within the boot. I can only see that bag being useful if you very rarely have a need to take the cable out.

Lads, charging on the regular home charge point @ 3.5 or 6.5 Kw will have no effect on battery life, the currents involved are small.

If you need all of the range then charge to 100% if you don't then don't charge to 100% and use the "charge to 80%" function in the timer.

When I'm pottering about I charge to maybe 50-70% if I know I'm driving maybe 30 Kms max.

The GM is pretty accurate on the current Gen leaf compared to the original. You'll learn to go by the charge % more than the GOM but the GOM is pretty accurate if driving at a steady speed and your terrain doesn't change too much.

For instance, If I drive up a long steep mountain route the GOM could knock 50-60 Kms off the range but I get it back on the way down the hill again. The GOM is basing it's calculation on the current being pulled from thebattery and also the voltage level , which will also reduce under load.

On the MK I , by just pressing the climate control button could knock 30 Kms off the range. It automatically assumes the range will reduce by 30 kms and so will display 30% less just like that.

For MK I owners , leaf spy is a brilliant way to know the charge % left in the battery.

in regards to q4, I dont want the expense of putting in a wired light so thought one of those solar lights that people use in gardens may be suitable but not sure how necessary yet. Something like this,
    https://www.outdoor.ie/product/thea-solar-garden-spotlight/#tab_additional_information

Just that its fairly dark though when Im accustomed to it maybe it wont matter.
    Bought in Ireland 12k 141 march registered, 18k miles/ 29k km from Phil. Close to buying from ecocars for same price but tekna and 3.3 but preferred the better evse. Would recommend both.

@Balmed Out : Couldn't really say re. solar light. However, you will be getting a sparks in anyway - is there much of a cost implication in getting light in at the same time - given that it will all be bundled up in the one job? Would there be any benefit generally in having a motion triggered security light on that side of the house in any event?

As regards choosing 6.6kW Acenta over a Tekna 3.3, you won't regret that decision. When the time comes to use that functionality, you'll see that it was the better option to take.

Had the electrician put the point in at home and work last week. Both working anyhow.

I use the follow-me-home lights , it's very dark at the Gable until I get the time to fix the light. It would have been very convenient if you could turn on the headlights with the keyfob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The little light under the charge flap on the Tekna is a god send :pac:

Advertisement