Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    How long does the installation take and why so expensive?

My installation in 2018 cost €150 and the charger was €450, so free after the Grant :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Shocked by the prices, might be cheaper to go the route I did.

Bought a 2nd hand charger for £90 And paid my spark something like €100 To fit it (can't remember exact figure). Maybe 120 max.

Then again I probably got lucky getting a near new charger for 90....prices seem to have risen a lot since .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭obi604

NIMAN wrote: »
    Shocked by the prices, might be cheaper to go the route I did.

Bought a 2nd hand charger for £90 And paid my spark something like €100 To fit it (can't remember exact figure). Maybe 120 max.

Then again I probably got lucky getting a near new charger for 90....prices seem to have risen a lot since .

Yeah, 1500 for the purchase and install is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

obi604 wrote: »
    Yeah, 1500 for the purchase and install is a joke.

Capitalism at work :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Right I think I’m ready to pick up a Nissan leaf as a second car. Was looking last year but I’ve been WFH ever since so that delayed the need. I expect to be back in the office sometime in Q1. From reading this thread I think my best bet is a 30 kWh with 6.6 kWh charger. We would be looking at 2015 - 2016 just over 10k to make the savings vs cost to buy make sense. My commute is only 15km each way no work charging but at that distance it won’t matter and I can sort of see myself not bothering even if it was available. My wife does the school run shopping etc which is also 10km one way so either one of us can use the car for our daily needs. We will keep our ICE car on the road for now but can see us replacing it with a E Niro in the future. Anyone see any issues with this plan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

MAXFANTANA wrote: »
    Right I think I’m ready to pick up a Nissan leaf as a second car. Was looking last year but I’ve been WFH ever since so that delayed the need. I expect to be back in the office sometime in Q1. From reading this thread I think my best bet is a 30 kWh with 6.6 kWh charger. We would be looking at 2015 - 2016 just over 10k to make the savings vs cost to buy make sense. My commute is only 15km each way no work charging but at that distance it won’t matter and I can sort of see myself not bothering even if it was available. My wife does the school run shopping etc which is also 10km one way so either one of us can use the car for our daily needs. We will keep our ICE car on the road for now but can see us replacing it with a E Niro in the future. Anyone see any issues with this plan?

We did the exact same two years ago and it has worked out very very well. A couple of times I've forgotten to plug in the car and needed to go a bit further so I've had to take the Mrs. car.

Running costs went from 140ish to 20ish roughly.

Only issue I see with what you're looking for is I don't think there is a 15 model with 30 battery.

Also an obvious point but keep an eye on battery health, from what I've seen out there, you can find a 17 with 10 bars and a 15 with 12 bars.

Yeah you'd be safe at those distances, could probably go cheaper and get a Leaf with a few bars gone, although I wouldn't recommend that unless you're very sure about your driving distance

You'll want to get a night meter for home charging if you don't already have one. Your electricity supplier can arrange this and it's usually free

Many thanks for the replies. Yep have been looking up home chargers and the night rate. We will be moving in about two to three years so I’ll get a basic 32 amp charger as we won’t be putting in PVs on this house. Long term plan is to renovate and have a garage where we can can charge both cars side by side with PV on the roof and a decent battery bank. I really want our next house to be as efficient as possible and If we can get our costs to heat and power our home and get our transport costs down to a minimum it will set us up nicely for later life and retirement. Also planning a granny flat off the side of the garage with a nice enclosed garden so we can do the rent a room scheme. Anyways that’s all a bit down the line, first the leaf!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ianm1990

Many thanks for the replies. Yep have been looking up home chargers and the night rate. We will be moving in about two to three years so I’ll get a basic 32 amp charger as we won’t be putting in PVs on this house. Long term plan is to renovate and have a garage where we can can charge both cars side by side with PV on the roof and a decent battery bank. I really want our next house to be as efficient as possible and If we can get our costs to heat and power our home and get our transport costs down to a minimum it will set us up nicely for later life and retirement. Also planning a granny flat off the side of the garage with a nice enclosed garden so we can do the rent a room scheme. Anyways that’s all a bit down the line, first the leaf!

I'm a new nissan leaf owner , and its going great , have the normal car for myself to potter around in and the wife has the leaf ! No complaints so far.

Regarding the day and night rate , im with energia and what the person was telling me is that once your night rate goes down your day rate goes up , with myself with a family and everything been ran throughout the day the savings were not there to transfer to a night rate meter ,

• Registered Users Posts: 30 TheCrank

Has anybody had this happen to their Leaf's touchscreen? 2017 Leaf, got in today and found the screen unresponsive. It turns on and the physical buttons work but the screen does not respond to touch. There is a very definite light patch in the middle of the screen as you can see in the photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ianm1990 wrote: »
    I'm a new nissan leaf owner , and its going great , have the normal car for myself to potter around in and the wife has the leaf ! No complaints so far.

Regarding the day and night rate , im with energia and what the person was telling me is that once your night rate goes down your day rate goes up , with myself with a family and everything been ran throughout the day the savings were not there to transfer to a night rate meter ,

Who is "the person"?
    Night rate is half the price of day rate and your day rate goes up by 1c/kWh (i.e. not much at all) and your standing charge goes up ~€45 for the year.
    You need to monitor your usage and decide if its worth it to you or not by doing the calculations. Dont listen to any salesperson to make the decision for you.

If you are are charging the Leaf everyday (even for an hour) it will pay to have the night rate meter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

TheCrank wrote: »
    Has anybody had this happen to their Leaf's touchscreen? 2017 Leaf, got in today and found the screen unresponsive. It turns on and the physical buttons work but the screen does not respond to touch. There is a very definite light patch in the middle of the screen as you can see in the photos.

That looks like condensation

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

ianm1990 wrote: »

You are correct, your day rate goes up generally but the much reduced night rate makes it worthwhile e.g. right now my day rate is 14.22c and night rate is 6.82.
    I'm 18% day usage, 82% night usage

KCross wrote: »
    Who is "the person"?
    Night rate is half the price of day rate and your day rate goes up by 1c/kWh (i.e. not much at all) and your standing charge goes up ~€45 for the year.
    You need to monitor your usage and decide if its worth it to you or not by doing the calculations. Dont listen to any salesperson to make the decision for you.

If you are are charging the Leaf everyday (even for an hour) it will pay to have the night rate meter.

Agreed, you should bear in mind that the typical Irish household doesn't have an EV, so the usual logic doesn't apply

The average house uses around 3,500kWh per year, based on an ICE car and gas/oil heating. Add an EV to the mix doing around 12,000km per year and that'll add around 2000kWh to your annual energy bill

For me, charging at the night rate saves about €180 per year against the 24 hour rate, hard to use enough daytime electricity to offset that saving

Any recommendations for a good OBDII?

Have a 2014 Leaf.

Have the charging timer set from 1am to 9am.

If I was to go to the Nissan app and do the start charging now (at 9pm or so), will this mess up the timer settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

Have a 2014 Leaf.

If I was to go to the Nissan app and do the start charging now (at 9pm or so), will this mess up the timer settings?

It won't mess up the timers. It's like pressing the timer over ride button

Have a 2014 Leaf.

Just a reminder (if you are on night rate) that night rate finishes at 8am this time of the year

loopymum wrote: »
    It won't mess up the timers. It's like pressing the timer over ride button

Thanks. So the car will just continue charging and won’t be affected by timers etc and should just stop charging at 9am.

Although, it won’t as this is like a timer over ride.

slave1 wrote: »
    Just a reminder (if you are on night rate) that night rate finishes at 8am this time of the year

Yeah, thanks. That was a mistake by me. Meant to say 8am. Will just confuse things if I go back and edit the posts ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks. So the car will just continue charging and won’t be affected by timers etc and should just stop charging at 9am.

Almost correct, it won’t be affected by timers but it won’t stop at 9am either... it will keep going until it is fully charged... whatever time that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

Any recommendations for a good OBDII?

Assuming you want to run leafspy I suggest checking other forums for recommendations.
    If your phone is android a Bluetooth is recommended. If you have an iPhone then a WiFi one is recommended.
    Super cheap from China may or may not work as most under 30 euro are all fakes and clones and may claim all sorts but only partly work.

The low tyre pressure light keeps coming up on my Leaf. I have checked the pressure on each tyre but they are all the same at 38/39psi

I recently changed tyres from the originals to Michelin Primacy 4.

Would this tyre change be whats causing it?

TheTorment wrote: »
    The low tyre pressure light keeps coming up on my Leaf. I have checked the pressure on each tyre but they are all the same at 38/39psi

The tyre fitter potentially broke the sensor inside the wheel when fitting the new tyre.

The dash should show you which wheel it has an issue with. Get that sensor looked at.

The tyre fitter potentially broke the sensor inside the wheel when fitting the new tyre.

The dash should show you which wheel it has an issue with. Get that sensor looked at.

Its the orange indicator light with the exclamation mark. The TPMS I think it is called

Yeah I think you need to reset the tpms after changing the tyres or refilling them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

I had to manually reset tyre pressure on mine a few times and I think it might have reset itself once. It will also come on every few thousand miles to manually check the tyre pressure

Yeah I think you need to reset the tpms after changing the tyres or refilling them

Is that using the 4 buttons to the right hand of the steering wheel?

If it is I tried resetting it but it came on again today.

Whats the correct pressure for tyres? Is 38/39 psi ok?

Its the orange indicator light with the exclamation mark. The TPMS I think it is called

Mine (2015 SVE model) used show a picture of the car and the 4 wheels and the offending wheel would be highlighted. Yours doesnt have that?

What year and model Leaf do you have?

Whats the correct pressure for tyres? Is 38/39 psi ok?

AFAIK its more about having the 4 pressures much the same rather than the specific number (it does have a low threshold too of course). If one wheel is significantly more or less than the other 3 it will cause the warning. You said you have all 4 within 1psi of each other so I'd say thats fine.

I think the recommended psi is 36... its written on a sticker on the inside of the drivers door.... going to 38 wont make any difference to the TPMS though.

• Advertisement

Mine (2015 SVE model) used show a picture of the car and the 4 wheels and the offending wheel would be highlighted. Yours doesnt have that?

What year and model Leaf do you have?

AFAIK its more about having the 4 pressures much the same rather than the specific number (it does have a low threshold too of course). If one wheel is significantly more or less than the other 3 it will cause the warning. You said you have all 4 within 1psi of each other so I'd say thats fine.

I think the recommended psi is 36... its written on a sticker on the inside of the drivers door.... going to 38 wont make any difference to the TPMS though.

Mine is a 17 Tekna 30KW

It has that indicator that shows the offending wheel too.

This one is

Advertisement