Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Soarer wrote: »
    You mean a charger with 2 sockets. A "normal" 3 pin socket, and a Type 1 socket for the Leaf?

No, one that has 3 or 4 AC charging settings:
    eg: 5 amp 9 amp 16 amp 22 amp

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭Soarer

goz83 wrote: »
    2) To the right of where an ignition key would usually be inserted, you will will 4 buttons. With the power on, press the top left button until you see the battery percentage.

I don't get that.

I get options, average speed, time of travel, energy usage, and time to 100% charge. Nothing to tell me my current battery percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Best wishes to Balmed Out and Soarer on your purchases. Happy cheap motoring.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I don't get that.

I get options, average speed, time of travel, energy usage, and time to 100% charge. Nothing to tell me my current battery percentage.

From what I remember Gen 1 doesn't have battery % displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

kceire wrote: »

That's correct. It's only in Gen 1.5. Leaf Spy can be used for battery percent.....or use carwings when charging.

• Advertisement

The weather is supposed to be good for the next few days, so I'm gonna granny cable the car overnight to see how we get on.

What's the best way to do it?

I've set the timer to start at 17:00 and finish at 08:10, 7 days. My thinking is I can plug it in when I get home from work, and it has until I leave for work tomorrow morning to car itself, do cell balancing, etc.
    Does that sound plausible?
    Or am I just better off turning off the timer, plugging it in when I go to bed, and see where we're at in the morning?

Also, how do you unregister a previous owner's details from both the car and Carwings/Connect? He tried to do it, but couldn't figure it out.

Final also. Was it someone on here I bumped into out at the FCP in Topaz Frankfield while ago? Hello if it was you!

The weather is supposed to be good for the next few days, so I'm gonna granny cable the car overnight to see how we get on.

I've set the timer to start at 17:00 and finish at 08:10, 7 days. My thinking is I can plug it in when I get home from work, and it has until I leave for work tomorrow morning to car itself, do cell balancing, etc.
    Or am I just better off turning off the timer, plugging it in when I go to bed, and see where we're at in the morning?

Also, how do you unregister a previous owner's details from both the car and Carwings/Connect? He tried to do it, but couldn't figure it out.

Final also. Was it someone on here I bumped into out at the FCP in Topaz Frankfield while ago? Hello if it was you!

Granny cable is waterproof, so if there is no risk of water getting into the house....go nuts.

Don't set the timers unless you have night rate. No point really.

The previous owner should be able to remove the car from his account. If not, you need to wait for the logbook and get onto nissan to to it.

Granny cable is waterproof, so if there is no risk of water getting into the house....go nuts.

Don't set the timers unless you have night rate. No point really.

The previous owner should be able to remove the car from his account. If not, you need to wait for the logbook and get onto nissan to to it.

Cheers goz.

So is it just a case of plugging it in and waiting until it's finished charging? Does it need to perform cell balancing?
    I'd imagine the previous owner always used the public chargepoints (no home charger, granny cable looks new), so I'm not sure how well the battery was looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Is it not better to have the battery charging complete as close as possible to the start of your journey so the battery is warmed up, rather than starting your journey with a "cold" battery? I assume charging with a granny cable or 3.3kW AC will only bring it up to a moderate temperature, and not too hot.

Similarly, I believe it's better to start charging the battery after it's cooled down, i.e. not charge immediately after a journey if possible. I guess with our temperate climate and your fairly short journeys, it probably doesn't matter too much...

Is it not better to have the battery charging complete as close as possible to the start of your journey so the battery is warmed up, rather than starting your journey with a "cold" battery? I assume charging with a granny cable or 3.3kW AC will only bring it up to a moderate temperature, and not too hot.

Similarly, I believe it's better to start charging the battery after it's cooled down, i.e. not charge immediately after a journey if possible. I guess with our temperate climate and your fairly short journeys, it probably doesn't matter too much...

Maybe if charging above the 3.3kw, but otherwise, it wouldn't cross my mind.

• Advertisement

Soarer, may not be an option in your rig but what KCross recommended to me is that you set the timer to finish at a set time and then it will fire up to charge so that it is cooked by the end by time, as opposed to maybe sitting there fully charged for several hours, not recommended I am told...

Soarer, may not be an option in your rig but what KCross recommended to me is that you set the timer to finish at a set time and then it will fire up to charge so that it is cooked by the end by time, as opposed to maybe sitting there fully charged for several hours, not recommended I am told...

Yeah, that's what I thought too.

But I didn't know how not to set a start time. So I set it to start at 17:00 today to finish at 08:10 tomorrow, and leave it decide itself in that window when to do what.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

kceire wrote: »
    Yes that's correct, only the bars on the GOM.
    Since i'm at the end of my range most days, I dont think I could manage without my percentage guage!

Yeah, that's what I thought too.

But I didn't know how not to set a start time. So I set it to start at 17:00 today to finish at 08:10 tomorrow, and leave it decide itself in that window when to do what.
    You just set an end time, KCross posted a picture in my Nissan thread.
    It will have started at 17:00

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

If the previous owner didn't do it then. Irving you can do until you get the new log book in your name.

Email gb@nissan-services.eu with your details and a scan of the logbook and they will reset the system so you can add the car to your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

I wasnt out that way today but am around there maybe once a week your is 11C ? I'm a Grey 171C best of luck I'm a newbie too

discostu1 wrote: »

I wasnt out that way today but am around there maybe once a week your is 11C ? I'm a Grey 171C best of luck I'm a newbie too

A lot of us newbies around!

Did you get a good deal on yours?

Mine is black, 11-D-48667.

The more I think about it, the more chuffed I am with the car. I'm here watching the match, and she's filling herself up via the granny cable.
    The technology involved is incredible. And the fact they can be picked up "cheap" is brilliant.

That's correct. It's only in Gen 1.5. Leaf Spy can be used for battery percent.....or use carwings when charging.

Leaf Spy will display the charge %, the real charge %, usually under 30% (in the 2014+) it hides 7%. Good for Original Leaf owners with no charge % display.

These can't be right surely?!

Car was still charging when I unplugged it for the evening, so I don't know what it would've said eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

A lot of us newbies around!

Did you get a good deal on yours?

Mine is black, 11-D-48667.

The more I think about it, the more chuffed I am with the car. I'm here watching the match, and she's filling herself up via the granny cable.
    The technology involved is incredible. And the fact they can be picked up "cheap" is brilliant.

I was happy with what I got, a bit like you I cant believe how economical if thats the word the Leaf has been. Its mainly used by my wife who drive up to 80 kms a day just back and forth across the City dropping kids picking them up from College, sports etc. We got it in Mid Feb there is close enough to 4k on it and between a bit of work charging, fast charging/public charging I think the "fuel cost" for home charging is somewhere around €10/12e.
    Plus the sheer fun of driving the car

• Advertisement

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    Just did mine today and had the same issue with the reg plates and the side lights. Went to halfords and paid 11.99 for a fuse kit.

The fuses your looking for is In the fuse box to the right of the battery. They are upside down.

F6 is for the reg plates and f7 is for the side lights. Look at both fuses just in case I have it the other way around.

I went through 6 fuses before getting it right. For mine the leds would blow if they were the wrong way around. They were also causing a little hassle with the left vs the right side of the car. As in i had an led that would work at all in the right but worked fine on the left.

Got a 10 pack of 10A mini fuses in Halfords for €6.50 at lunchtime there, so gonna have a cut off things when I get home.
    Also got my home charger and installation ordered.

This car is making me super efficient! ;)

Here's a map of the fuse box, in case anyone needs it for any reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Soarer wrote:
    Here's a map of the fuse box, in case anyone needs it for any reason.

Take it you get the leds sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Hi
    I've been following this thread a while and decided to take a test drive in a 30kw SV leaf today. Was pretty impressed alright. Ok on the road and nice acceleration. What surprised me was the space inside especially the boot. Didn't expect that. However, not impressed with forking out extra for fast charger and granny lead. No scrappage either for the time being. Garage has a 24 KW 161 with 3k on clock coming in next week. Anyone able to give a ballpoint figure for this as salesman unable to provide any number? Thanks

Hi
    I've been following this thread a while and decided to take a test drive in a 30kw SV leaf today. Was pretty impressed alright. Ok on the road and nice acceleration. What surprised me was the space inside especially the boot. Didn't expect that. However, not impressed with forking out extra for fast charger and granny lead. No scrappage either for the time being. Garage has a 24 KW 161 with 3k on clock coming in next week. Anyone able to give a ballpoint figure for this as salesman unable to provide any number? Thanks

Look at similar cars with such low miles in the uk. Convert price to euro. Add 2k to the figure and you'll be fairly neat in the ball park.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You can bring in a 30kWh 161 from the UK for about €17k landed, so a good few thousand less than that would be your answer, maybe €14k from a main dealer. That is what it is worth, but no doubt the Nissan dealer would want more for it.

FYI I was looking at buying a brand new 24kWh Leaf last year and with the fast charger and metallic paint I got a price of €20k cash on the road. 24kWh Leaf is now obsolete so I would negotiate hard. Some dealers are realistic and will play ball. Others still think in terms of "what it stands me" and they are wasting your time and their own time

Good luck and keep us updated!

Was at the fast charger this evening and there was a Leaf plugged in and fully charged, but the owner could not disconnect the CHAdeMO cable. When I got there he had already spoken to the eCars crowd (number on the charger), but there was no resolution yet. We both agreed that if I plugged the CCS into my car, it might disconnect him. I connected, mine started charging straight away, but did not disconnect him

Felt sorry for the owner, as it is a crap situation to be in. Nothing I could do to help him though, when I came back to my car a few minutes later he had left (leaving his car there)

For future reference - so I could maybe help someone if I came across this situation again - has any of you Leaf owners had this and what way was it resolved?

unkel wrote: »
    Was at the fast charger this evening and there was a Leaf plugged in and fully charged, but the owner could not disconnect the CHAdeMO cable. When I got there he had already spoken to the eCars crowd (number on the charger), but there was no resolution yet. We both agreed that if I plugged the CCS into my car, it might disconnect him. I connected, mine started charging straight away, but did not disconnect him

Felt sorry for the owner, as it is a crap situation to be in. Nothing I could do to help him though, when I came back to my car a few minutes later he had left (leaving his car there)

For future reference - so I could maybe help someone if I came across this situation again - has any of you Leaf owners had this and what way was it resolved?

Yes. I was stuck at a FCP in the UK. Car started charging (for free...another fault). Ecotricity had closed for the evening. I hit the big red button and disconnected the cable. It's the only way.

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    Take it you get the leds sorted?

Kinda.

Reg plate bulbs were a doddle.
    One of the side lights were faulty. No matter what way I put it in, or on which side, it blew the fuse. Went through 7 of them! Contacted the seller and he's sending me on a replacement.
    The last one is my own fault. I though the DRL LEDs would replace the fog lights, but they don't! Waste of 20 minutes trying to get them changed.

So if anyone want a couple of LED replacements for their DRLs, give us a shout. Will let them go cheap! ;)

Had my first fright this evening. Range dropped to 11kms and one bar left, with the low charge warning on the dash. Got to the fast charger, plugged it in, and the charger told me there was 21% charge left in the battery!
    So how far could I push it? Does it die at 0%? 5%?
    Trying to suss it out.

• Advertisement

Yes. I was stuck at a FCP in the UK. Car started charging (for free...another fault). Ecotricity had closed for the evening. I hit the big red button and disconnected the cable. It's the only way.

What does the big red button do? Apart from disconnect you? Will the whole charger stop working until someone from ecars resets it, or even need a site inspection?

Advertisement