Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I charge to full overnight then take the car for a spin to drain the battery a bit

You really do that? Most days?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

KCross wrote: »
    You really do that? Most days?

Well I'm working from home, so at the moment the car gets charged about once a week, maybe twice if we go somewhere at the weekends

Back when I went to the office, I'd charge to full every night and drive in

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Well I'm working from home, so at the moment the car gets charged about once a week, maybe twice if we go somewhere at the weekends

Back when I went to the office, I'd charge to full every night and drive in

Not sure why Nissan removed that 80% charge option from the menus as it would work nicely for you.

New EV's give users the ability set the max, which is useful. Nissan went the other direction and had it in <2016 cars but then removed for >2016!

Not sure why Nissan removed that 80% charge option from the menus as it would work nicely for you.

New EV's give users the ability set the max, which is useful. Nissan went the other direction and had it in <2016 cars but then removed for >2016!

I know right, it's such a backwards step :(

I suppose on the plus side it gives me a reason to get out of the house and shake the cobwebs off the car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Do you know how to enable the Service menu and then read the ECU versions?

Discussions on it here...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108582362&postcount=4

It's already 4NR4C.

I need to take it out for a decent drive and see if that makes a difference.

Currently sitting idle until I get the Irish plates on it

• Advertisement

GaryCocs wrote: »
    It's already 4NR4C.

I need to take it out for a decent drive and see if that makes a difference.

Currently sitting idle until I get the Irish plates on it

To ensure the BMS "sees" the full capacity of the battery you need to drive the car to <10% (or as low as you are willing to go really) and then fully charge it to 100% including battery balancing (i.e. let the car turn off the charge session, not the timer).

Then check LeafSpy.
    It's also worth checking LeafSpy when the car is <10% as that is when it will identify weak cells in the main screen. Normally it will just show "All cells OK" but if you drive it down to <10% it will identify weak cells and give you output like "Weak cell 30" and you should see that cell in the bar graph shown as red and the voltage will be low on it relative to the others.

If you get "All cells OK" you are good and wont have any claim against warranty... i.e. it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭optimal

Yes, you should keep it below 80% if the car is going to be idle for a day or so. I personally would charge it if it goes below 50% but that's just to ensure I've enough range to get around if I have to

I believe the 2015 and older models have this option but my 2016 Leaf doesn't. I charge to full overnight then take the car for a spin to drain the battery a bit

Mine's a (very) late 2015 and doesn't have the 80% option. I know that it charges at the rate of 27% per hour so I do a quick mental calculation on how long I need to charge to keep it under 80% and set the timer - works well. I have 139k Km on the clock and still 12 bars, but I do mind the battery. It'll be on the market soon.....

optimal wrote: »
    Mine's a (very) late 2015 and doesn't have the 80% option. I know that it charges at the rate of 27% per hour so I do a quick mental calculation on how long I need to charge to keep it under 80% and set the timer - works well. I have 139k Km on the clock and still 12 bars, but I do mind the battery. It'll be on the market soon.....

Let us know when its up for sale, if you're anywhere near me (cork area) I'd be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

MAXFANTANA wrote: »
    Let us know when its up for sale, if you're anywhere near me (cork area) I'd be interested.
    Just sent you a PM

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Nissan seem to have a good offer on new leafs. 0% interest, free home charger via the ESB Green Plans and 1 years service.

They have offered me c. €2000 as a trade in off an SVE model. Have an SVE on test drive for the weekend. Seriously tempted. Only things that is putting me off is that I want that two tone colour but dealer is telling me its 10 weeks wait as he only has certain colours in stock.

Any other good offers out there around the €32k mark? That would be around the make budget new.

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    Nissan seem to have a good offer on new leafs. 0% interest, free home charger via the ESB Green Plans and 1 years service.

They have offered me c. €2000 as a trade in off an SVE model. Have an SVE on test drive for the weekend. Seriously tempted. Only things that is putting me off is that I want that two tone colour but dealer is telling me its 10 weeks wait as he only has certain colours in stock.

Any other good offers out there around the €32k mark? That would be around the make budget new.

If you're looking at other card then I'd suggest checking the Peugeot E-2008, MG ZS EV, and maybe a second hand Kona for around that price? Also the base ID.3 comes in around there too

Smaller options include the Zoe, E-Corsa and E-208.

My one reservation with the Leaf is that is uses the Chademo plug, which limits the number of higher powered chargers available. If you're okay with only using 50kW chargers when on long journeys then you'll be fine

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Long journeys will be rare

Is there a new leaf been launched soon?

godtabh wrote: »
    Is there a new leaf been launched soon?

The last update was in 2018. I havent heard of a new one. Where did you hear it?

There is the new Nissan Ariya that is due to be released... maybe its that you are referring to?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058025629

just wondering as its been out since 2018 and I'm about to by a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Generally automotive life cycles are 4-6/8 years, with a mid cycle facelift.
    The leaf is strange in that the 1st body style was 2011-2017 with 2/3 updates and the 30kWh arriving in 2016
    The second one from 2018 was just major facelift.
    I wouldn't expect another leaf until 2024>

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Also to remember that the leaf in 2018 was a fancy frock on the same drivetrain, it's largely the same car since 2013 (132) in terms of drivetrain components

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The current Leaf is still a modern enough looking design. Fits in well with today's range of cars.

I think it'll still look ok on 2 - 3 years time .

Yes, it's in the relatively new nissan design language, looks like the new micra too.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes, it's in the relatively new nissan design language, looks like the new micra too.

Also worth noting that Nissan has been criticized for having a slow design refresh cycle compared to other manufacturers, and their profits are way down, so less money to invest in future models

Not expecting a new Leaf anytime soon, it seems to be all bets on the Ariya

• Advertisement

There won't be another leaf IMO, the Ariya will supplant it. They won't be selling a CCS Ariya and a Chademo leaf at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Morning
    Book my 201 reg in for a service with Nissan and told the cost would be €150 and that the car would be kept overnight.
    What can I expect for €150, seems a little dear for a service on a 201 reg car and why the need to keep it overnight not like they have to do big oil change.
    Is there any questions I should be asking about call backs or software updates just not sure.
    Thanks all

wush06 wrote: »
    Morning
    Book my 201 reg in for a service with Nissan and told the cost would be €150 and that the car would be kept overnight.
    What can I expect for €150, seems a little dear for a service on a 201 reg car and why the need to keep it overnight not like they have to do big oil change.
    Is there any questions I should be asking about call backs or software updates just not sure.
    Thanks all

You're basically paying for the Nissan stamp in your service book.

They will do checks on suspension etc and change the cabin filter and that will be pretty much it (maybe a quick clean/hoover if you're lucky). Its gravy for the dealer.

You could try pricing around but then you have to factor in your time travelling to a dealer further away to save, maybe, €30.

No reason for them to have the car overnight other than they want the car on the stand first thing in the morning and not waiting for you to arrive and check it in etc.

Seems about right for a Nissan service, but you don't need to factor in consumables like oil, so there's a saving. They also sometimes do a check of the battery but it doesn't seem to have any more info that LeafSpy

Odd that they need it overnight, I've dropped mine in first thing and it's ready by around 4pm. I live right beside the dealership, so the fact that I can have it in early may be a factor

Nissan Windsor have a cool system where they email you a link and it shows what checks they've done and has suggested works which you can authorise via the website. Last time I got the air conditioner flushed with Ozone and they forgot to charge me, so bit of a bonus there :D

Also, I was please to know that my Leaf passed the exhaust checks, I'm frankly surprised they didn't call me up to say the exhaust was missing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Hi again
    I emailed back and was told that the booking was for 3pm and it takes 1 hour to sanitise the car before work begins and then 1 hour to sanitise before it is giving back to me fair enough i suppose. Without me asking she said she would have a courtesy car ready for me.
    Now it doesn’t sound to bad. I will speak to them about the pool of water in the front strut on the drivers side and see do they have coverings for it.
    I also forgot that my car connects to my house WiFi and checks for software updates itself.

wush06 wrote: »
    Hi again
    I emailed back and was told that the booking was for 3pm and it takes 1 hour to sanitise the car before work begins and then 1 hour to sanitise before it is giving back to me fair enough i suppose. Without me asking she said she would have a courtesy car ready for me.
    Now it doesn’t sound to bad. I will speak to them about the pool of water in the front strut on the drivers side and see do they have coverings for it.
    I also forgot that my car connects to my house WiFi and checks for software updates itself.

Thats some sanitising! You'll be getting back a very clean car if they spend 2 hours sanitising it!!! I dont believe it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya no way they add two hours work for themselves and if they did you can bet you'd be well charged for it. Quick wipe down with antibacterial wipes I'd imagine is what will be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

To ensure the BMS "sees" the full capacity of the battery you need to drive the car to <10% (or as low as you are willing to go really) and then fully charge it to 100% including battery balancing (i.e. let the car turn off the charge session, not the timer).

Then check LeafSpy.
    It's also worth checking LeafSpy when the car is <10% as that is when it will identify weak cells in the main screen. Normally it will just show "All cells OK" but if you drive it down to <10% it will identify weak cells and give you output like "Weak cell 30" and you should see that cell in the bar graph shown as red and the voltage will be low on it relative to the others.

If you get "All cells OK" you are good and wont have any claim against warranty... i.e. it is what it is.

I couldn't find the message "All cells OK" but again I mightn't be looking in the right places.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vz3egsb9t0me5j/Screenshot%202021-01-21%20at%2021.09.07.png?dl=0

Basically drove it until it was empty. The milage and % are gone from the dashboard but it still says 13% SOC. Mad. Is it <10% per dash or per leaf spy?

Will charge up this evening and see what it says.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

Then check LeafSpy.

Hey, are you suggesting here that you might have a warranty claim for a weak cell? Surely warranty only comes into play if you drop a 4th bar?

• Advertisement

GaryCocs wrote: »
    I couldn't find the message "All cells OK" but again I mightn't be looking in the right places.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vz3egsb9t0me5j/Screenshot%202021-01-21%20at%2021.09.07.png?dl=0

Basically drove it until it was empty. The milage and % are gone from the dashboard but it still says 13% SOC. Mad. Is it <10% per dash or per leaf spy?

Will charge up this evening and see what it says.

It normally shows at the bottom of that screen... just below where it shows the 3 battery temperatures.

If you drove it down to where you get "---" on the dash it should have been enough to get it to appear. It is strange that you are showing 13%. You should have been able to bring it down well under 10% and maybe thats why it didnt appear.

Could you get the car back down to "---" and then open the windows and turn on the heater full blast and let it drain the battery to <10%.

Basically it wont report weak cells until it can get the cells down to a lower voltage. Looking at some pics from mine the cells were under 3V and the SoC was showing 4.2%!

Advertisement