Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

KCross wrote: »
    It normally shows at the bottom of that screen... just below where it shows the 3 battery temperatures.

If you drove it down to where you get "---" on the dash it should have been enough to get it to appear. It is strange that you are showing 13%. You should have been able to bring it down well under 10% and maybe thats why it didnt appear.

Could you get the car back down to "---" and then open the windows and turn on the heater full blast and let it drain the battery to <10%.

Basically it wont report weak cells until it can get the cells down to a lower voltage. Looking at some pics from mine the cells were under 3V and the SoC was showing 4.2%!

Yup. Drove it below 10% and it was there. “All cells ok” not sure is that a good thing or a bad thing.

Will charge up full and see what the story is in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Yup. Drove it below 10% and it was there. “All cells ok” not sure is that a good thing or a bad thing.

Will charge up full and see what the story is in the morning.

It is what it is then! 91% isnt particularly bad for a 3-4yr old Leaf. The range you get from 100% is a more important measure really.

It is what it is then! 91% isnt particularly bad for a 3-4yr old Leaf. The range you get from 100% is a more important measure really.

Ah ya, very happy with it in fairness. Another 2 years and I might be able to upgrade to the holy grail of the new model :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I've noticed this morning that I've got rust in my charging cable, I think some water pooled in the end cap (oh the irony) and the contacts were sitting in water for a while. I guess I might be needing a new charging lead soon

The big problem is that some water must have got trapped in the contacts when I plugged in yesterday and it looks like there's rust in the charging port (ouch) as well. Any idea's on how I can clean it out?

I'm hoping it's just from the charging cable and the contacts in the charging port didn't get corroded

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Looking at buying my first fully electric car.

I'm looking at the leaf and wondering is there any major differences between a 2015 and 2016. On the face of it they look the exact same bar age.

Do you get much extra if anything out of the spoiler with the small solar panel?

I'll probably be going the dealer route as I have a car to trade in. Hoping to get a 30kwH.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Jofspring wrote: »

I'm looking at the leaf and wondering is there any major differences between a 2015 and 2016. On the face of it they look the exact same bar age.

Do you get much extra if anything out of the spoiler with the small solar panel?

I'll probably be going the dealer route as I have a car to trade in. Hoping to get a 30kwH.

Thanks.

The 30kWh only came out in 161 (a tiny few 152's). And there are also some 161's that are 24kWh so you need to be careful when purchasing that you are getting what you expect. A 24kWh and a 30kWh look the same. The only way you can tell is by looking at the range when fully charged or looking at the car weight on the drivers door pillar... the 30kWh is slightly heavier due to the larger battery pack. A 30kWh will show 1970kg vs 1945kg on a 24kWh.

The Solar panel on the spolier is a gimmick. Wont help you at all so wipe that from your mind! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Thanks.

You won't get a 2015 30kWh.

Otherwise the cars are the same. The difference was between gen 1 (no "eco" button on the steering wheel) and gen 1.5 (has eco button on steering wheen). That change happened late 2013-early 2014.

The 30kWh was added in early 2016, no other change. Then the "new" 40kWh came out in late '18.

The solar panel does nothing really except keep the 12v topped up in summer.

I bought my first leaf (2014 24kWh) from Phil Fitzgerald in 2016 and can highly reccomend him.

Cheers lads, 30kwH isn't really a necessity but if the price is right for the sake of a few extra euro on a loan I'd go for it. Teckna/Sve is more important to me as it would have a lot of what I'm used to. Coming from a 2010 2.0l diesel at the moment and my wife has a Puegeout 3008 so this car will really be for in and out to work and dropping the kids off and that's about it.

With lock down I'm assuming I'll need to narrow my dealer search to more local, I'm in Limerick at the moment. A lot will depend on what happens with restrictions I suppose, not looking good at the moment though.

Good to know about the spoiler too.

I had an SVE spec leaf and the heated leather seats and steering wheel are much needed.
    Phil (and most other EV dealers online) offer nationwide delivery. May not be ideal if it's your first EV though as you'd want to drive the car before committing. I remember my test drive from Phil of my leaf, scary experience initially, having driven down in a diesel BMW!

ELM327 wrote: »
    I had an SVE spec leaf and the heated leather seats and steering wheel are much needed.
    Phil (and most other EV dealers online) offer nationwide delivery. May not be ideal if it's your first EV though as you'd want to drive the car before committing. I remember my test drive from Phil of my leaf, scary experience initially, having driven down in a diesel BMW!

Ya I'd be open to getting a car delivered if I could even get a spin in one locally. I've been looking at loads of different cars recently and most dealers want you to buy the car, over the phone without ever driving it or inspection it in person. I know there are restrictions but seems a bit much to me. Surely that's hitting sales massively around the country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Cheers lads, 30kwH isn't really a necessity but if the price is right for the sake of a few extra euro on a loan I'd go for it..

Be aware that a 2016 24kWh Leaf battery warranty is 5 years or 96,000kms (whichever comes first) versus a 8 year/160,000kms warranty for the 30kWh version.

The batteries have proved bulletproof but still something to bear in mind, even if a bargaining tool for a 24kWh Leaf.

If you buy an early 2016 L24 then warranty all but gone whereas an early 2016 L30 will still have 3yrs battery warranty...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Has anyone ever seen any figures for claims against the battery warranty?

I think it must be minuscule.

If your 2016 battery is still functioning ok in 2021, then there is a 99.9% chance it'll be ok in 2024 too, bearing in mind any potential loss of bars through age and use isn't covered by such warranty.

Very few battery warranty claims in Ireland.
    Only really in the US.

Cheers lads, 30kwH isn't really a necessity but if the price is right for the sake of a few extra euro on a loan I'd go for it. Teckna/Sve is more important to me as it would have a lot of what I'm used to. Coming from a 2010 2.0l diesel at the moment and my wife has a Puegeout 3008 so this car will really be for in and out to work and dropping the kids off and that's about it.

With lock down I'm assuming I'll need to narrow my dealer search to more local, I'm in Limerick at the moment. A lot will depend on what happens with restrictions I suppose, not looking good at the moment though.

Good to know about the spoiler too.

What's your budget?

slave1 wrote: »
    Be aware that a 2016 24kWh Leaf battery warranty is 5 years or 96,000kms (whichever comes first) versus a 8 year/160,000kms warranty for the 30kWh version.

The batteries have proved bulletproof but still something to bear in mind, even if a bargaining tool for a 24kWh Leaf.

If you buy an early 2016 L24 then warranty all but gone whereas an early 2016 L30 will still have 3yrs battery warranty...

That's great to know, cheers. I hadn't realised that. I'll definitely be aiming at a 30kwH one, even though I probably don't need to worry about it too much it would be nice to have that peace of mind.

GaryCocs wrote: »
    What's your budget?

15k probably my max including my car which would probably get between 2k and 3k at trade in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That's great to know, cheers. I hadn't realised that. I'll definitely be aiming at a 30kwH one, even though I probably don't need to worry about it too much it would be nice to have that peace of mind.

I agree with other posters, I do not think you need to worry about the battery but a L30 is an overall better purchase if you can get it with a small premium over a L24.

I'd say if a non-Nissan (or even a Nissan) dealer was selling a L24 they would have no clue it's out of battery warranty and that's the angle I'd be taking to drive the price down.

Mate of mine got a 2016 L30 last year for €10.5k and he did very well, private sale

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    I agree with other posters, I do not think you need to worry about the battery but a L30 is an overall better purchase if you can get it with a small premium over a L24.

I'd say if a non-Nissan (or even a Nissan) dealer was selling a L24 they would have no clue it's out of battery warranty and that's the angle I'd be taking to drive the price down.

Mate of mine got a 2016 L30 last year for €10.5k and he did very well, private sale

From what everyone is saying the L30 does seem to make way more sense. I might see what I'm getting offered for my own car. If not worth it I'll flog it and go private sale. The selection privately seems to be blalot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭obi604

I've noticed this morning that I've got rust in my charging cable, I think some water pooled in the end cap (oh the irony) and the contacts were sitting in water for a while. I guess I might be needing a new charging lead soon

The big problem is that some water must have got trapped in the contacts when I plugged in yesterday and it looks like there's rust in the charging port (ouch) as well. Any idea's on how I can clean it out?

I'm hoping it's just from the charging cable and the contacts in the charging port didn't get corroded

Not really helping you here. But that rubber cap you put on the cable head of the charge cable is useless. I normally hang mine from a hook and when you do this, the head of the cable points down at the ground, if you put the rubber cap on, the rain water slowly gets in the side/edges and as you say, it pools in it and your cable head can be sitting in that pooled water when rubber cap is attached.

I just leave my cable head hanging, as usual facing the ground and don’t use the rubber cap at all, rain water just drips off it but does not get inside the cable head

As to how to clean it, I’m not sure, sorry.

obi604 wrote: »
    Not really helping you here. But that rubber cap you put on the end of the charge cable is useless. I normally hang mine of a hook and when you do, the head of the cable points down at the ground, if you put the rubber cap on, the rain water slowly gets in the side/edges and as you say, it pools in it and your cable end can be sitting in that pooled water.

I just leave my cable hanging (again) facing the ground and don’t use the rubber cap at all.

As to how to clean it, I’m not sure, sorry.

That's exactly what happened to mine, was hanging over the charger with the cap on and water managed to get in from the heavy rain earlier this week. Because the cap was on, the water couldn't drain away

I've got a couple of thin metal brushes, I'm going to try using one of those and maybe try blowing air into it with a hairdryer or something

• Advertisement

Would it be worth putting a few small holes in it for future purposes to allow the water drain out?

Just plug the cable in/out as normal over the next few days/weeks and see if it rubs off. I wouldn’t go poking it with tools.

Would it be worth putting a few small holes in it for future purposes to allow the water drain out?

I think I just won't bother putting the cap on in future

Just plug the cable in/out as normal over the next few days/weeks and see if it rubs off. I wouldn’t go poking it with tools.

I'll see how it goes, maybe it'll clean off easily

Not gonna take anything abrasive to it, I wouldn't want to wear the contacts

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

I had the same problem, with the Zappi and type 2 cable exposed to some rain at the side of the building. It would seem to me that all chargers should be provided with at least a basic sheltering structure overhead to avoid water ingress when the end of the cable is wrapped around the charger and rolled cable. It was a mistake in my case not to get the installer to put something there. Now I just wrap the cable around the porch and out of the rain to avoid oxidization.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-tekna-30kwh-auto-take-care-of-the-en/26830606

Any opinions on this leaf? 4 years left on the battery warranty. Waiting to hear back if it's 3.3kw or 6.6kw. 5 days money back guarantee. No warranty on the car though probably have to buy one yourself. Hence it being a few quid cheaper than similar 2017's.

Edit: few things flagged on motorcheck but since coming from zucar (Joe Duffy group) I assume they aren't to be worried about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Any opinions on this leaf?

Yeah, add a grand to your budget & get an Ioniq :).

It'll still have at least a year's full manufacturer warranty, 4 year/200,000km battery warranty, very fast CCS charging, is more efficient, looks better & is likely far better specked.

Just noticed in the pics it doesn't have 6.6kw.

Kramer wrote: »
    Yeah, add a grand to your budget & get an Ioniq :).

It'll still have at least a year's full manufacturer warranty, 4 year/200,000km battery warranty, very fast CCS charging, is more efficient, looks better & is likely far better specked.

Just had a quick check of carzone and done deal and couldn't see any for 16k. Just two hybrids. One electric and it's private sale for 18k. Definitely like the ioniq but probably just outside what I want to spend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is anyone else getting random push notifications through on their phone from the Nissan EV app?

I get them every now and again, even when I haven't used car in a few days, just randomly pops up .

Advertisement