Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Well lads. Got a T/M system malfunction on my '16 Leaf today. Came out to car while it was charging at work (it had finished, still connected) and wouldn't start with this notification. Took a chance and hooked it back up to charger again and it seemed to reset it (side note it changed it back to mph and didn't realise until I was going past speed van in a 50km area thinking I was doing 44km but actually 44mph :-( )

New 12v battery b4 Xmas. Any ideas what it could be..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The only time our Leaf has reverted to miles is after 12v battery disconnect.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

slave1 wrote: »
    The only time our Leaf has reverted to miles is after 12v battery disconnect.

Ya that happened when I changed the 12v.. interesting to see will it happen today at the same charger. If it does I know then it must be that. Because it charged fine at home over the evening and worked fine this morning when I was leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Has something chaanged in Nissan Connect recently?

I wasn't able to use the app (or MyLeaf app) for a while and I finally logged into the website to check

I had to subscribe again to the telematics service for some reason. Everything seems to be working again now

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Well lads. Got a T/M system malfunction on my '16 Leaf today. Came out to car while it was charging at work (it had finished, still connected) and wouldn't start with this notification. Took a chance and hooked it back up to charger again and it seemed to reset it (side note it changed it back to mph and didn't realise until I was going past speed van in a 50km area thinking I was doing 44km but actually 44mph :-( )

New 12v battery b4 Xmas. Any ideas what it could be..

Check to see if terminals on battery are tight, twist both connectors back and forth. Its possible as the battery was changed recently that they have loosened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

I wasn't able to use the app (or MyLeaf app) for a while and I finally logged into the website to check

I had to subscribe again to the telematics service for some reason. Everything seems to be working again now

using my leaf, have had no issues.....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Mine has been working fine, but that App is notoriously unreliable.

At times I had no use of it whilst it was working fine for others in this forum.

You probably don't remember but when you first used the Nissan App you signed up for a 3 year subscription.
    When the 3 years are up you need to re-subscribe.

Did you buy your Leaf around 3 years ago?

You probably don't remember but when you first used the Nissan App you signed up for a 3 year subscription.
    When the 3 years are up you need to re-subscribe.

Did you buy your Leaf around 3 years ago?

Yup, almost exactly 3 years ago, that must have been it

Actually now that you mention it I remember the subscription only being 3 years and wondering if I'd have to pay afterwards

Thankfully it's free now until 2029, I'm curuious now to see if the car will last that long

Yes it will, I've less than 8% degradation and at the way the curve is going I envisage this car will serve us (and the max range we want) for another 8years minimum.
    By then Winter range of our max local journey will be dodgy, but as a two car household we'll just rely on the other car for those journeys.

Fully committed to swapping the battery pack when the time comes to it also, if it were not for Brexit we'd sell on and re-import but I've an idea in mind for a new import towards the end of my daughter's studies in 3 years time and this depends on how Revenue will treat the scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Toying with the idea of buying a used Leaf, likely 2011 or 2012. Am I right to say that 2011 models had some thing where you dont own the battery but are renting it or some such? And also they have a different cable/may not charge so fast? Trying to find the demarcation line between that edition and later ones.
    If you're serious you need to invest in a ELM device to plug into the OBDII port and with free App (Leafspy) you can see health of battery which should be around the low 90%.

Are these rentable anywhere or if not what would you expect to pay for one?

Also are there any charts of real world experience of what to expect in terms of battery degradation by miles driven/age of the car? I think Id need something capable of doing 100kms on a single charge. Wouldnt be using it for 100kms very often but would prefer that than charging mid journey.

Finally are there any companies reconditioning Leaf batteries, is it possible and what sort of cost?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Toying with the idea of buying a used Leaf, likely 2011 or 2012. Am I right to say that 2011 models had some thing where you dont own the battery but are renting it or some such? And also they have a different cable/may not charge so fast? Trying to find the demarcation line between that edition and later ones.

Are these rentable anywhere or if not what would you expect to pay for one?

Also are there any charts of real world experience of what to expect in terms of battery degradation by miles driven/age of the car? I think Id need something capable of doing 100kms on a single charge. Wouldnt be using it for 100kms very often but would prefer that than charging mid journey.

Finally are there any companies reconditioning Leaf batteries, is it possible and what sort of cost?

The battery rental thing was with the Renault Zoe, I don't think the Leaf ever did that

If you can, get a 2013 or later one, there's a big beam running across the boot of the older leafs which cuts the boot space down to useless

OBD dongles are cheap as chips, get a Bluetooth one from Amazon and download leaf spy

Regarding battery reconditioning, you can buy the battery out of a newer Leaf and fit it in to get more range. The battery pack is the same size and shape, but the interface needs to be modified

Muxan in the Netherlands seems to be the main company that does this. If you're looking for a return on investment then forget it. A cars value is determined by age alone. Upgrading any components won't raise the value

If someone was selling you a petrol car where they'd swapped the original engine for a more powerful one, would you expect to pay more for that car?

Thanks for the answers. Not really bothered by boot space as its rare Id use it. Aside from that are the 2011/12 editions a good car? Dont think I want to stretch to newer than that, its just a runaround that will do low miles, less than 5,000 a year Id say.

And is expecting to get 100kms on a single charge realistic for a Leaf that old? Id get one of those dongle devices anyway to check the battery but just wondering if such distances are typically possible if the battery is in good health

Not looking for a ROI at all on a reconditioned battery, moreso exploring options if it did need it in a few years time. Probably wouldnt be economically viable but must look into it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

And is expecting to get 100kms on a single charge realistic for a Leaf that old? Id get one of those dongle devices anyway to check the battery but just wondering if such distances are typically possible if the battery is in good health

That will be a stretch.
    The early Leafs had no heat pump so you will lose significant range in colder weather and even at that I think you would struggle to get 100km from a 2011.

Also watch that some early Leafs didn’t have rapid charging so that will limit your ability to go outside it’s range.

Some were also battery rental. They are called “flex” cars. Don’t buy one of them.

Thanks for the answers. Not really bothered by boot space as its rare Id use it. Aside from that are the 2011/12 editions a good car? Dont think I want to stretch to newer than that, its just a runaround that will do low miles, less than 5,000 a year Id say.

Not looking for a ROI at all on a reconditioned battery, moreso exploring options if it did need it in a few years time. Probably wouldnt be economically viable but must look into it more.

I've a 2016 Leaf24 with full bars, it currently gets about 100-125km of range. The Leaf has a fair bit of buffer but I'd say a 2011 one will have around 70-80km of range left

The battery swap can give you a big range boost if you get a 40kWh pack. The video below describes a budget upgrade, you can see the packs are the same size and shape so they're basically interchangeable

https://youtu.be/1Dwsk9lnr6I

It can be done cheaply if you're fairly handy and can do the work yourself. A salvaged battery in good condition will probably cost the same as a 2011 Leaf

I've a 2016 Leaf24 with full bars, it currently gets about 100-125km of range. The Leaf has a fair bit of buffer but I'd say a 2011 one will have around 70-80km of range left

The battery swap can give you a big range boost if you get a 40kWh pack. The video below describes a budget upgrade, you can see the packs are the same size and shape so they're basically interchangeable

https://youtu.be/1Dwsk9lnr6I

It can be done cheaply if you're fairly handy and can do the work yourself. A salvaged battery in good condition will probably cost the same as a 2011 Leaf

ah right, 70-80kms is just a bit too short for what Id need it for occasionally. Id be using it mainly for 20km trips but then a 100km one every week or two depending. Charging along the way not really a viable option and Im not sure about being dependent on the charging network in Dublin, it doesnt seem to be able to cope with demand if you just want to plug in and walk away for a few hours.

Honestly, you need to forget about a L24, even if it has 100km range right now, it won’t in a year or so. A L30 will give you this range for years to come, especially in weather like this.
    You should look to a Leaf from 2016 era

Honestly, you need to forget about a L24, even if it has 100km range right now, it won’t in a year or so. A L30 will give you this range for years to come, especially in weather like this.
    You should look to a Leaf from 2016 era

Not all 2016 Leafs are 30kWh, mine being a prime example

I think if you can get a good deal on an older leaf then it's worth it. It's kind of bangernomics in that the car is likely only going to be worth scrap value when you're selling it

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭randomstuff

Hi all, potentially looking to change into a Nissan Leaf and wanted some advice from the good folks here if possible. Its a 2013 tekna model - With the below leafspy read out, what sort of real mileage range would I be looking at in summer and winter?

Is there anything I should be looking out for when doing the walk around the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭obi604

Hi all, potentially looking to change into a Nissan Leaf and wanted some advice from the good folks here if possible. Its a 2013 tekna model - With the below leafspy read out, what sort of real mileage range would I be looking at in summer and winter?

Is there anything I should be looking out for when doing the walk around the car?

my rough guesstimate would be

Summer 90km
    Winter 70km

But again, all depends on your driving, if driving at 120KM an hour all the time, you wont get above.

Is it a gen 1 or 1.5. i.e does it have the big hump in the boot.
    If it does NOT have the big hump, its the gen 1.5 = more efficient better heater and a few more km's

Try and have a look at the last NCT report for the Side-Slip/Alignment test for the Rear axle
    Make sure its not too far out, otherwise could be up to a 300 euro fix (depending who you get)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

SOH is low enough, I would estimate 100km summer, 70km winter, that might be a bit overly optimistic depending on the type of drive it is.

Check the heated seats, steering wheel etc. make sure they're all working.

Would be a good idea to invest in a dongle of your own if you're going for a Leaf.

It's a 24kWh model, so the battery is out of warranty at this point, so you won't get a replacement for the degradation. Not a show stopper, but you should argue down the price to reflect that

My 2016 Leaf24 gets around about 125km in summer and maybe 100km in winter. That'd be a mix of city and motorway driving

I would say you'd be looking at around 100km range in summer, and 70km range in winter based on that

If you can charge at home and your daily driving is short then it should be fine. Long journeys may not be feasible depending on the availability of chargers along your route

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'd say 80-90km summer and 60-70km winter.
    My L24 had 89% SOH when I sold it at 110k km, and would get 90-110km summer and 80-100km winter. That one has a much lower SOH.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ELM327 wrote: »
    That one has a much lower SOH.

Seems to be regularly charged via rapid (twice a week or so) so thats why its down a bit more than others and about to drop its second bar (if it hasnt already).

I'd agree with your range estimates too.

This car would need to be keenly priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭randomstuff

Cheers for all the replies! That range should be fine for 99% of the driving we do. Our use case would be a 30km round trip 2-3 times a week.

With regards to further degradation - if I were to just trickle charge it over night for the next year say, would there be more degradation or does it plateau?

Additionally, is it correct to say steady 50/60km would be the 'best' case scenario for the car battery range? And 120km motorway the worst?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Cheers for all the replies! That range should be fine for 99% of the driving we do. Our use case would be a 30km round trip 2-3 times a week.

With regards to further degradation - if I were to just trickle charge it over night for the next year say, would there be more degradation or does it plateau?

Trickle charging with the odd DC charge (1-2 per month) is the best case for the leaf it would seem. Mine always went up 1-2 percent of SOH if I fast charged after a while of not fast charging.

(That was unusual, as I did 60k km a year then and the car was never off the road)

Degradation is inevitable but if you don't fast charge much it slows the degradation down (leaf has no active battery cooling). At least with leafspy you can keep an eye on it. That car will always do your 30km trip with room to spare, you're the ideal case for an earlier EV like a leaf

Additionally, is it correct to say steady 50/60km would be the 'best' case scenario for the car battery range? And 120km motorway the worst?
    Yes. At 120 you would struggle to get 100km range even in summer. Also be aware that to do 120km "real" speed you have to do 127-128 indicated. It saps juice at that speed.

Leaf 24 is a great car for your use case, and especially if you dont see much motorway.

If you can, try to charge the car to 80% and not leave it above that level, especially if the car is sitting idle for a couple of days. That'll help slow the degredation, especially as the buffer at the top of the car is now gone

The battery will continue to degrade I'm afraid, it's a fact of life with EVs. It should server you well for short hops for years to come however

You're correct, lower speeds are better for EVs (and cars in general) to conserve energy

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Tarant

I have the feeling to charge to 100% ever so often will do the Battery good, just dont let it sit for to long at that charge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭obi604

The thing is with a leaf 24, you can’t really afford to only charge to 80%, the range is limited enough as it is with 100% (for me anyway, might be perfectly fine for randomstuff)

I’ve charged to 100% essentially every night for the last 15 months (even when it’s been down to only 85% etc) and the battery health has actually improved.

• Advertisement

obi604 wrote: »
    The thing is with a leaf 24, you can’t really afford to only charge to 80%, the range is limited enough as it is with 100% (for me anyway, might be perfectly fine for randomstuff)

I’ve charged to 100% essentially every night for the last 15 months (even when it’s been down to only 85% etc) and the battery health has actually improved.

Depends on your usage, I've been getting away with charging twice a week since lockdown started

Advertisement