Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Has anybody any experience of putting Apple Car Play onto a 2016/2017 Nissan Leaf?

There's a thread on speakev about this where the update is done through an sd card, just wondering if anyone here has tried it?

https://www.speakev.com/threads/apple-carplay-sdcard-update.154920/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭obi604

ELM327 wrote: »
    Trickle charging with the odd DC charge (1-2 per month) is the best case for the leaf it would seem. Mine always went up 1-2 percent of SOH if I fast charged after a while of not fast charging.

(That was unusual, as I did 60k km a year then and the car was never off the road)

Degradation is inevitable but if you don't fast charge much it slows the degradation down (leaf has no active battery cooling). At least with leafspy you can keep an eye on it. That car will always do your 30km trip with room to spare, you're the ideal case for an earlier EV like a leaf

Yes. At 120 you would struggle to get 100km range even in summer. Also be aware that to do 120km "real" speed you have to do 127-128 indicated. It saps juice at that speed.

Leaf 24 is a great car for your use case, and especially if you dont see much motorway.

Are all cars like this?
    What is the reason they are setup like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

obi604 wrote: »
    Are all cars like this?
    What is the reason they are setup like this?

My L40 is closer is 125 speedo for 120 actual. All cars are setup like this to allow for safety and usually over report speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

My L40 is closer is 125 speedo for 120 actual. All cars are setup like this to allow for safety and usually over report speed.

Yeah my old Toyota did the same, there's always measurement error and cars are setup to under report so you don't accidentally end up breaking the speed limit

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

Hi folks thinking of spending €8-10k on a leaf. I would be very grateful if someone could sum up the different things to look out for and the best models for that price range. I started at the beginning of this thread but fear my head would explode if I were to read it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,387 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Quick question for the Leaf connoisseurs here. Might be in the market for a second EV family car within the next year or so. Was planning to get a 2014/2015 24kWh Leaf as these are barely more expensive now than the early model, while these have a much improved battery chemistry with less degradation and more range remaining

What I would like to know is what is the difference in spec levels between the 3 models, I think XE, SV and SVE (or the UK equivalent names)?

Do all these cars come with CHAdeMO DC fast charging, or are there some (UK) cars in base trim XE levels that do not have this? I know many of them have only a 3.3kW AC charger on board and some cars will not come with a granny cable either, this doesn't bother me but the car needs to have DC charging

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

unkel wrote: »
    Quick question for the Leaf connoisseurs here. Might be in the market for a second EV family car within the next year or so. Was planning to get a 2014/2015 24kWh Leaf as these are barely more expensive now than the early model, while these have a much improved battery chemistry with less degradation and more range remaining

What I would like to know is what is the difference in spec levels between the 3 models, I think XE, SV and SVE (or the UK equivalent names)?

Do all these cars come with CHAdeMO DC fast charging, or are there some (UK) cars in base trim XE levels that do not have this? I know many of them have only a 3.3kW AC charger on board and some cars will not come with a granny cable either, this doesn't bother me but the car needs to have DC charging

You pop up everywhere :D

I don't think the spec determines the 3.3 vs 6.6 as I have the tekna and it's 3.3, the only way to tell that is when you look in the time to charge settings in the dash the 6.6 will give you two times.

Can't comment on the CHAdeMO DC fast charging, I presumed it was in all to be honest.

Granny cable was optional too so that's hit and miss but from what I saw on the market more had it than didnt

patmac wrote: »
    Hi folks thinking of spending €8-10k on a leaf. I would be very grateful if someone could sum up the different things to look out for and the best models for that price range. I started at the beginning of this thread but fear my head would explode if I were to read it all.

Hi Pat, SOH is the main thing, that the battery "has 12 bars" and if possible you can tell the exact percentage. For the price you are looking at you should be able to pick up a leaf with the full 12 bars.

Models, I'm on my second Tekna (Selling my 1st), I thought heated seats and steering wheel were a luxury but they are quite nice. Also the tekna alloys look very nice. Give me a pm if you want more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Fairly confident that the Leafs that did not have DC charging were limited to the Japan built cars (2011-2013) and it was only some of them.

Since you are talking about 2014/2015 it will be a Sunderland car(2013+) so you are safe enough. They all had DC charging AFAIK.

As for spec....

XE didnt have
    - SatNav
    - Heat pump
    - Alloys
    - heated seats (unless added)
    - app support

SV had all the things that the XE was missing except the heated seats/steering which was an optional extra that you got with the "Cold pack".

SVE added
    - Leather seats
    - heated seats(front and back) and steering wheel as standard
    - 17" nicer alloys, but the rubber costs quite a bit more
    - 360 camera (not sure if the SV had that, I dont think it does)

There are other differences but those are the big ticket items.
    The difference in price day one from SV to SVE was a little over €2k I think so there shouldnt be a massive difference in price now 7 years later.

Nissan Irl didnt supply a granny cable and in the UK they did, so its hit and miss as to whether you will get one or two cables with the car and some folks sell the cables separately as well so very much a lottery on that.

The 6.6kW upgrade was optional on all trim levels.

Value is important to you so I'd say an SV with ColdPack is the sweet spot.
    It will cost less on tyres, has the app support, having the heated seats means you dont use the PTC heater as much hence better range in winter.

Personally I woulnt touch an XE but at the right price maybe it is something you are willing to go with.

Thanks for the detailed answer! That actually doesn't rule out an XE for me, which was my concern.

Next question is, I know the newer chemistry came in sometime during 2013, so some 132 reg cars would be ok, but how do I know for sure which generation a car is? I know it has been mentioned on the forum before, was it a button on the steering wheel?

My budget would be very low for this car, preferably no more than €5k and preferably more like €4k. And obviously beggars can't be choosers :D

Here's a €5k 141 Leaf XE that would tick the boxes so it seems. Range / mileage is not all that important either as long as the car is reasonably within the normal degradation range

Linky

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Eco button on the steering wheel, it was previously somewhere around the touch panel cluster.
    Also, when i was looking for my Leaf I did come across some AC only ones but they should be well out of the picture.
    If you are thinking cheap as chips you will have to remember battery lease.
    The 6.6kW charger was a £1.1k upgrade at purchase so you know yourself this is handy but given the degradation all these years later you will have no problem whatsoever charging up a L30 on full night time rate.
    Personally it would be the SV/Acenta, the XE is very basic and touch screen etc all nice to have.
    The Leaf seats are super super comfy and super economical.
    I must do a 4 year review as we have our Leaf 4 years on Tuesday coming!!!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

The only thing that needs to be nice about the Leaf I'm getting is the total cost of ownership, the rest is pretty much irrelevant :p

Great buy anyway a new chemistry 2014 Leaf for €5k. I can't get my head around that these aren't being scooped up quickly. Ideal second family car for someone who has a driveway.

Thanks for the detailed answer! That actually doesn't rule out an XE for me, which was my concern.

Next question is, I know the newer chemistry came in sometime during 2013, so some 132 reg cars would be ok, but how do I know for sure which generation a car is? I know it has been mentioned on the forum before, was it a button on the steering wheel?

My budget would be very low for this car, preferably no more than €5k and preferably more like €4k. And obviously beggars can't be choosers :D

Here's a €5k 141 Leaf XE that would tick the boxes so it seems. Range / mileage is not all that important either as long as the car is reasonably within the normal degradation range

Linky

Any idea on the SOH, I don't trust the ads that show it.

Great price if the battery is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

XE doesnt even have cruise control or the integrated head unit.
    I rule those out, I'd only have an SVE leaf like my L24. The heated leather seats and upgrade lights are invaluable.

XE doesnt even have cruise control or the integrated head unit.

Not important for its intended use. The driver would never ever even use cruise control (or autopilot) in a car even if they knew how to operate it :p

Not in the market for a car now anyway, maybe in autumn or maybe next year.

Yea, the "Eco" button is on the right side of the steering wheel.

Linky

The pics are poor.
    Looks like he got after market alloys as they are not XE standard. XE has steel rims only.

The bonnet doesnt look straight though! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

Thanks what is the range on this?

Not important for its intended use. The driver would never ever even use cruise control (or autopilot) in a car even if they knew how to operate it :p

Not in the market for a car now anyway, maybe in autumn or maybe next year.

Then you're looking at NI import dude unless something special pops up here.
    This will give you best value for money, a c2014 Leaf24 with newer battery but naturally degraded over time which is fine

slave1 wrote: »
    Then you're looking at NI import dude unless something special pops up here.
    This will give you best value for money

I don't think that is correct. I regularly check these prices and at the bottom of the market (2011/2012 cars with the poorer battery) the prices in ROI are generally lower than in NI or anywhere else in the UK really. They go down as low as €3.5k over here for an early model with degraded battery. Never anywhere even close to GBP3k in the UK

• Advertisement

Sure wherever will be cheapest, I've never looked at "bottom of the market" so unfamiliar being honest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭obi604

patmac wrote: »
    Thanks what is the range on this?

its down to 10 bars so probably about 78% battery left on it

range roughly 70km in winter, 90km in summer

all depends on how you drive it too, drive at motorway speeds and the above will drop

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Get a Tekna/SVE.
    Youll enjoy the leather, heated seats, heated steering wheel, 360 camera and LED Headlights plus the nicer wheels.

the 3.3/6.6 OBC was a spec choice so some have it, some dont. Mine didnt. Once your in the Gen 1.5, i think Chademo is standard on them all.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Get a Tekna/SVE.
    Youll enjoy the leather, heated seats, heated steering wheel, 360 camera and LED Headlights plus the nicer wheels.

You dont know unkel at all do you! :D

If an XE comes available at the right price and the wheels go around he'll go with that!

Not to mention tell us for 2 years how he can sell it at a profit!

It would be some feat to buy a bottom of the range, drive it for two years while spending nothing on it and then sell it at a profit. Pretty much impossible I'd say at this stage, but several forum regulars have sold their Leafs after 2 years for more than they bought them for. Gumbo is one of them.

But yeah, the key to low total cost of ownership is to buy the car really, really cheaply in the first place

Several cars that I have owned in the past, gave me sub zero total cost of ownership, including what I spent on fuel, motor tax and insurance. You can only do this if you sell the car for a lot more than you bought it for...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Linky

The pictures very cleverly cut out the battery health, and with nearly 170,000km on the clock I wouldn't be surprised if that car was down to 6 or less bars

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

The pictures very cleverly cut out the battery health, and with nearly 170,000km on the clock I wouldn't be surprised if that car was down to 6 or less bars

It's the newer gen battery though, I have never heard of any of them in Ireland being down to anywhere near 6 bars?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

And then, to make it even worse, he will sell it at a profit :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭zenith90

zenith90 wrote: »
    Currently have an issue with my 2016 Leaf where the top left trip computer button below driver's vent does not work.

See 2-27 in owners manual, normally this toggles between Charging time → Energy economy → State of charge etc.
    https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/ManualsAndGuides/LEAF/2015/2015-LEAF-owner-manual.pdf

Are there any guides on replacing these buttons or how to remove this section of the dash to access the buttons?

Due to leave car in for battery plates recall and would like to attempt replacing this myself first or least disassemble the dash to mitigate the cost for Nissan to fix.

Just to double back on this in case anyone else comes across this issue.
    It turns out that the button panel on the dash clips out quite easily and the folks in Nissan Windsor Motormall were kind enough to advise me on it while the car was in for the battery earth plate recall.

As they didn't have it in stock and were expecting a long lead time, I ended up sourcing the part (687603NM0A) myself, on the technician's advice, from a UK supplier and swapped it in no problem.

Advertisement